Heartglass 16: Woodcrest

AZALEA

Saturday. Before we went to our assigned states, Queen Adriana met us in the Ruby Palace. We stood in the drawing room while the Queen was sitting comfortably on the cushioned seat. The maidservants served the tea as her gaze focused on us.

"I hope you're already set to go to your assigned states. It will last for two weeks and after that period, return to the palace to continue your lessons and trials. I will send some Knights to ensure your safety and maidservants to serve you. Please do well on this trial and please accept the budget allotted for each state. We will let you manage this budget. This is also a test to know if you're worthy to be the next Queen. The fate of these states, on this coming winter, is now in your hands."

Queen Adriana gestured to her lady-in-waiting and the lady-in-waiting handed us white envelopes. Queen Adriana indifferently checked each one of us. "Have a safe trip, ladies. I wish for your success."

"It is our pleasure to serve the citizen, Your Majesty," Lady Candice bowed "Thank you for your goodwill."

Lady Shirdine and Lady Jaera expressed their gratitude to the queen and bowed as well.

I silently bowed my head and thanked her.

When I looked back to the queen, she was staring at me as if she was studying my face.

"You may now head to your destination. The Crown Prince will visit you one of these days. He is just busy with other kingdom affairs that's why he can't meet you and bid you luck and goodbye." Queen Adriana gestured to the maids and knights.

There were knights and maids who approached me–three Knights and two maidservants. The two maidservants assigned to me are Yumi and Sabrina.

The three Knights slightly bowed to me and introduced themselves – Aaron, Gabriel, and Dennis. They were all wearing their black military suits with swords hanging on their holsters.

They carried my baggage and led me to my carriage. I checked the amount inside the envelope and it costed ten thousand silver bills. Well, since Woodcrest was almost an abandoned state, it was already expected that they would receive a small budget. But despite being abandoned, the people who couldn't afford the life in the city were residing there. The population was quite big and I didn't think this budget would be enough for them all.

I sighed. It was unfair but I had no choice but to keep my silence and just accept whatever was given to me. I just had to make the most of it.

Woodcrest was located on the southern part of the Glass Kingdom. When I draw the curtain of the carriage, I saw the red leaves of the maple leaves that was already all over the place. The road was also rough so we were travelling a little slower and the carriage were bumping from the rocks and uneven roads. We had to cross the vast forest before we could reach Woodcrest.

It took us two days before we reached our destination so we had to camp somewhere inside the forest.

When we arrived at the Woodcrest state, houses made of woods greeted us. Some houses were already old and damaged that they could only patch the holes of their houses. The children running around the streets were already unhygienic and dirty. Woodcrest reflected the poorest state of this kingdom. Most citizens who didn't have any permanent address were relocated here.

There was a small mansion on top of a small hill, protected by barricades made of bricks, overlooking this pitiful scenery. That was where the Town Chief was residing.

When we reached the gates of the mansion, some guards approached us.

The Knights who accompanied me provided our identity and purpose, showing the royal decree, so the guards had no choice but to call for the Town Chief in a hurry. The remaining guards opened the gates and let us enter until we stopped in front of the huge mansion. There was also a huge fountain made of marble and a well-maintained garden on each sides of the mansion.