Heartglass 35: The Witch's Heart

AZALEA

On the day Celeste died, it heavily rained. Thunder rumbled and lightning struck the once vibrant kingdom of Glass. As if the sky was the only one mourning Celeste's death. As if the sky was the only one regretful to lose the witch who lost herself in the end.

As if it was a sign that the heavens listened to Celeste's sorrowful dying wish and allowed the curse to spread through the whole kingdom.

My legs wobbled when I returned to my senses as my mouth hung open. With trembling hands, I brushed the hair sticking on my face and forehead, covered in sweat due to the scorching heat surrounding me.

With a confused look in my eyes, my mind continued to wander.

Celeste's heart. . . Celeste's heart turned into glass. . .

Apparently, she was not completely dead yet in that sense. Her heart was here somewhere, buried under the dirt. And the only way to lift the curse, to free this kingdom, was to destroy her heart.

This way, Celeste's soul would also be freed. This way, she would finally find peace. This way, she could finally move on.

But why did no one notice this before?

Why did this detail escape everyone's attention?

Why did no one find her heart?

Why?

Did this mean that everyone was so cruel to forget about her? And none of those who burned her were remorseful of her death?

But before I could contemplate further for a suitable answer, the eerie cackling sounds of the dried leaves and twigs and branches forewarned my impending doom. The widespread blazing fire already crawled and rushed to every direction, incinerating the wild blooming rose shrubs obstructing its way.

As if the flames were saying that it wouldn't wait for me to lift the curse and that I must hurry to decide about my fate.

Fear crawled on my skin. Time was not on my side, that I realized.

My eyes darted to every corner of the forest, looking for a possible way to escape but there was nothing for me. I was completely surrounded by the aggressive flames. And perhaps, if I tried to run straight and forcefully pass through the fire, I would be already dead and roasted before I could even leave the forest.

And I didn't want to risk that.

I was the only one who knew the way to break this curse.

And therefore, I realized escaping from the fire was not an option in this situation. And helplessly dying in vain was never an option too.

At that very moment, I made up my mind. I must find the witch's heart—to end this curse, before the flames could completely incinerate me to ashes, for the people I love, for Dion and for the people of this kingdom.

So everyone could live freely. . . so they could love with all of their hearts, without worries.

I wish to save them. And I will do everything for them now.

With firm resolve, my amber eyes wandered in the forest, despite the darkness, despite the full moon covered by thick patches of clouds that hindered its light, as I desperately recalled the exact location where Celeste was mercilessly burned.

It was somewhere in the middle of the forest, which was not covered in flames yet. Without wasting time, I dashed towards it, and knelt on the dirt while biting my bottom lip. Despite my well-polished nails, I dug on the ground. Dirt and grime accumulated in my fingernails as I desperately searched for the heart of the witch.