The Deal Taker (Book III)

By Kissmeyoufool

*Read "The Deal Maker" and "The Deal Breaker" First* Joanna Garth's life has never been normal. It wasn't no... More

Prologue: 2007
Chapter One - What's My Line? 2010
Chapter Two - Pillow Talk
Chapter Four - Make Me Pretty
Chapter Five - Break a Leg
Chapter Six - To The Happy Couple
Chapter Seven - Party Animal
Chapter Eight - Rule Breakers
Chapter Nine - Here Comes the Bride
Chapter Ten - Mr. & Mrs. Matthew Foster
Chapter Eleven - The Honeymooners
Chapter Twelve - Sleepless
Chapter Thirteen - Rabbit Hole
Chapter Fourteen - Fire
Chapter Fifteen - Breathe
Chapter Sixteen - Bitter
Chapter Seventeen - All Hail
Chapter Eighteen - The Fortune Teller
Chapter Nineteen - The Lonely
Chapter Twenty - Happily Ever After

Chapter Three - Make a Wish

5.1K 269 28
By Kissmeyoufool

Chapter Three

Make a Wish

I WAS SLEEPING BLISSFULLY WHEN the devil came to see me. Who would have thought the devil was actually a woman? She came in with a bang, throwing open my door and turning on every light as I tried to shield my eyes with my pillow. The devil was talking to me, but I ignored her and tried to find sleep again. This angered the devil, causing her to throw my covers back and toss my pillows across the room.

"What the hell?" I growled at her, blindly swinging my arms at her in hopes of scaring her off.

"Mr. Foster wants you dressed and downstairs in half an hour," she informed me in a strong yet feminine voice.

"Screw that, I was dreaming about waffles." I reached across the bed to grab my comforter, only to have my hands swatted by her perfectly manicured fingers.

"Kym is waiting for you in the bathroom to do your makeup and hair. I'll have the kitchen send up some fruit for you to eat while Kym fixes you."

My eyes focused on the devil, taking in her features with rage still burning inside of me. Well, the devil was pretty. Who would have thought? She was tall, like an amazon, with jet black, stick straight hair that hung to her shoulders. It was so shiny and so perfectly cut, I almost thought she was wearing a wig. She had an oblong face with dark, perfectly sculpted eyebrows right above her equally dark eyes. Every feature she had was sharp and almost fake looking because it was too flawless, too perfect. Her skin, which was fairly pale, was perfection, like a porcelain doll. Her makeup, which consisted of perfectly rosy cheeks, a burgundy lips, and perfect cat eyeliner, reminded me of one of those airbrushed models on the cover of any fashion magazine.

It only occurred to me after staring at her that I had no idea who she was. "Who the hell are you?" I demanded in a hoarse voice.

She raised her perfectly arched brow and placed a hand on her narrow hips. "I'm Venus, your personal assistant."

"Huh, I would have thought Uranus."

She smirked at me as if she actually found it funny. "Mr. Foster warned me about your...charm. Now get up and go get ready. You have coffee with Mr. Foster at eight o'clock, and straight afterwards you have a dress fitting with Lacey in the lounge while your room gets cleared. You also have your rehearsal dinner for which you will need to dress formally for."

"When did I get a personal assistant?"

Her frustration was becoming obvious. "Mr. Foster said you would need someone to keep track of future events as well as keep you on schedule for them. He claimed you were disorganized and lazy."

I would have snapped back at her, but it did sound like me. "Fine, whatever. And don't have the kitchen staff bring fruit. If I see another chunk of pineapple, I'll just keep putting it under my bathroom sink."

We both gave each other a forced smile before I slid off the bed and strutted over to the bathroom. A personal assistant? Yet another thing I wasn't told about. And who in the hell is named Venus? I hated her immediately, though that doesn't mean much considering I hate pretty much everyone immediately.

Kym, my ridiculously quiet and passive stylist, stood beside the counter with an array of makeup and hot curlers beside her. I knew if I talked to her she'd just ignore me and go about her job. At least with Lacey we'd banter and laugh or insult each other. Kym is a robot, a really graceful robot.

By looking at her, you'd never expect she is a professional stylist. Kym stood an inch or two taller than me with a thin frame similar to my own. Her hair, a light auburn, was always braided and draped across her shoulder and down to her waist. She didn't wear much makeup, though if I had large blue eyes and full lips, I'd probably be the same way. Unfortunately, I was given tiny dark eyes and just enough lips to need lip balm. In addition to her rather plain makeup, Kym always seemed to dress simple. Right now she wore a simple light blue dress with no form. It literally draped over her narrow frame, giving her no shape and hanging to her knees. I noticed she even wore plain black flats instead of heels like everyone else, and absolutely no jewelry.

I thought about commenting on her style, to ask her why she'd dress like that yet have me wear leather pants, but I never got the chance. She grabbed my head and began smearing on some sort of moisturizer, preventing me from opening my mouth. Even if I had asked her, I doubt she'd have even looked my way, let alone reply. I simply closed my eyes as I felt numerous things being painted on my face.

It was about ten minutes later when Venus returned with a tray of what everyone else calls "food." I eyed the yogurt and chunks of what I assumed was mango, hating life at that moment. My body was used to processed foods and a daily intake of high fructose corn syrup, not this bunny food.

I ate only a spoonful of yogurt before deciding I'd rather just shrivel up and die. I closed my eyes, awaiting my moment of starving to death while Kym took the rollers out of my hair and sprayed it with something strong. She took a step back and eyed her work before handing me something to wear other than my night gown.

"Thanks," I mumbled when she took off without a word.

The outfit wasn't the sweatpants or skinny jeans I was hoping for. Instead it was a Tiffany blue dress that flared out at the waist all the way to the knees. Tiffany blue dress? I don't think I could wear something more opposite of my style. I put it on anyway because it's what I'm supposed to do. The dress was rather 1950's house wife, though the back of it was exposed other than the X-shaped straps across it. I nearly died when I noticed a bow in the middle of the X. The front was simple and modest, which matched my makeup, I guess.

Outside of the bathroom were a pair of simple white heels and a few pieces of gold jewelry. I snatched them up and made sure I had my engagement ring on display before walking out of my bedroom with my usual stomping walk, making the heels clack loud enough to announce my presence.

I didn't knock as I stepped into the library as if I owned the place. Well, I kind of do...

Matthew smiled when I entered, and I was instantly relieved to know we were alone. I had some things to discuss.

"Sleep well?" he asked as he poured a cup of coffee for me from a fancy French press.

"Don't even start. Venus? Really? Since when did we discuss a personal assistant? And yogurt? I'm wasting away. I'll be dead before the wedding."

Matthew rolled his eyes at me and patted the seat next to him for me to sit. I shook my head. "Sit, Anna. Please?" He gave his best pouty look.

I sat down, surprisingly, and took the cup from his hand.

"I hired Venus because you will need an assistant with all of the future events we'll be attending together. You need someone to keep track of it all and help keep you on track as well."

"You say it like I'm some child who needs a babysitter."

He raised his cup to his lips with his brows raised. "Well..."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "You do understand I've been on my own since, like, birth, right? I've raised myself and my sister, and I kicked vampire ass when I was a teenager. I don't need someone to wake me up in the morning. And why Venus? She's a total bit-"

"I understand you're independent, sweetheart. But you're not used to my world or having to keep to a schedule. And I hired Venus because if I hired anyone weaker, you'd have them crying within five minutes. Let's face it, you have awful people skills."

I scoffed and took a big gulp of the piping hot coffee, feeling it scorch my tongue. I refused to flinch at the pain. "People find me lovely and highly interesting, for your information."

"People find you intimidating and a little insane. But I find it intoxicating." He gave me a quick wink before taking another elegant sip of his coffee. At least I hoped it was coffee. "I spoke to Nicholas earlier. He indirectly asked me if we were marrying as a cover for something. Apparently we didn't seem like a couple to him."

"What? You were touching my butt and we were all cutesy. How can that not be couple-like to him?"

Matthew shrugged and poured some more coffee into my cup before adding some to his. "Nicholas is rather perceptive."

I knew it meant I wasn't doing my job as the perfect bride-to-be. I needed to do better. "I'm just not used to the whole couple thing," I explained, stirring about three spoons of sugar into my coffee. "It's especially weird with you."

"I understand. It's difficult to pretend to be in love with an extremely attractive billionaire vampire. It really must be a struggle for you." He rolled his eyes at me.

"Alright, Jackass." I stood up and roughly sat my cup down. "I'm really trying here."

Matthew placed his cup down and stood up, practically towering over me. His fingers brushed back a curl from my face and he leaned closer until his lips were at my ear. "You have no idea how painful it is to have you so close, yet so far from me. I'm struggling more to hold back than you are to try." He pressed his lips against my jaw and then at my temple.

I was so stunned by what he said, I couldn't speak.

"I meant what I said last night; I'm being patient with you, Anna. I'll continue to be patient. But I need to know you're trying. You promised me you would try in this relationship. So far it has been entirely one-sided." He raised his hand up and ran the back of his fingers against my cheek softly. "I want to be able to kiss you without you tensing up or forcing to kiss me back."

His cool hands made me flinch, probably making things worse. "It's difficult to force love and attraction, Matthew. I'm taking baby steps here."

His fingers slid down to my chin, gently moving it up. "Less than a year ago you kissed me. It wasn't forced; it was attraction. You felt something for me then. You feel something for me deep down now, I know it. You and I both know there's something there."

I would have disagreed if I thought it wouldn't make things worse. Yes, I had kissed Matthew rather passionately less than a year ago. A lot had happened then. I had escaped death and Matthew was there for me as a friend, so I thought. But I kissed him because he saved my life that night after grey eyes had tried to end my life in David's front yard. I doubted I still had that attraction towards him anymore, but I wasn't about to tell him that. If Matthew thought my feelings towards him might change, it would keep our deal active and Cindy safe.

"I'm willing to try harder," I murmured, taking a small step towards him. "Everything is just happening incredibly fast. I'm usually all for jumping into things. But I think I'm still scarred from what I've just gone through with my sister."

He nodded understandingly with his eyes going over my face. Carefully, gently, Matthew leaned down and pressed his lips to mine. I tried this time, just as he asked. I placed a hand on his cheek as I had last night and deepened the kiss. To be honest, kissing Matthew wasn't exactly a horrible experience. I've kissed quite the array of men in my twenty years; the sloppy, the drooling, the wide kissers, and the tight kissers are just a few to name. Admittedly, David was a cross between sloppy and wide. Matthew was more savoring yet hungry. Then again, if I lived nearly a thousand years, I'd probably master the art of kissing as well.

My breathing was becoming difficult when Matthew deepened the kiss further, making it nearly impossible to breathe. One hand gripped my hip while the other pulled my face closer, making it difficult to even pull away. His kissing intensified and his lips began practically grinding and crushing mine. Before I could push him away because I needed to breathe, Matthew pulled away and released me entirely. His eyes were wild, like some fierce animal, and he looked dangerous in that moment. I wasn't afraid, but seeing his fangs out did make me step back.

"I'm sorry," he said in a strained tone.

I took several needed breaths and crossed my arms over my chest. "Hey, I get it. I'd probably be the same way if I made out with what I usually eat, especially right now. Making out with a pizza would put me over the edge." I meant it as a sarcastic comment, though I'd kill someone for a pizza right now.

Matthew shook his head at me, forcing his sharp and brutal fangs back into his gums. "It's not that. I just ate. It's just..." He wiped his mouth with the back of his finger. "I got a little carried away, that's all. Blood and hunger isn't the only reason that side comes out, Anna."

This surprised me. "Huh, really?"

"Hunger, lust, rage. Pretty much any strong emotion can make them come out. I thought I was rather excellent with controlling them. Apparently I'm not with you."

"Lovely," I replied with an awkward glance at the door.

Matthew stepped forward and placed his hands on my shoulders. "I'd never hurt you. I'm entirely certain of that."

I forced a small smile to ensure him I wasn't too bothered by it. It did bother me though, especially knowing I was going to share a bed with him tonight. "I should probably get to my fitting soon."

His expression changed and his mood lightened. "Not yet. I planned something special for you." He grasped my hand and pulled me towards the sofa once more. "Sit down and close your eyes."

"You do know I have trust issues, right? Pft, close my eyes..." I scoffed while Matthew shook his head at me.

"Close your eyes, you stubborn woman."

"Fine. But if you touch me or take off one piece of clothing..."

"Our honeymoon is certainly going to be interesting, isn't it?" he mused after I closed my eyes.

I only heard a few movements in the room before he told me to open my eyes. When I opened them, I was beyond confused.

In front of me sat the world's largest blueberry muffin with a long and colorful candle burning in the middle of it. I raised a brow at him, wondering if this was some sort of ritual people did before they got married. Let's face it, I know nothing about marriage except from sitcoms.

"Happy Birthday, Anna," Matthew told me and sat beside me.

Birthday? I sat there trying to think about what day it was. So much has happened, I couldn't tell what month it was, let alone the day. Could it honestly be my birthday? Have I become so isolated and numbed to forget about my own birthday? Then again, I've never kept track of it. "Birthday?" I murmured, still trying to process this.

Matthew seemed just as confused as I was. "You didn't know it was your birthday? I thought that was why you were being extra spicy."

I looked at the flame at the tip of the candle, realizing I haven't celebrated a birthday probably since the time David had brought doughnuts to celebrate it during our AA/NA meetings. Could that have been two years ago? My twentieth birthday was spent in a coma, and I'm pretty sure my eighteenth was spent passed out on some sidewalk. Here I was, my twenty-first birthday, and my rich fiancé just gave me a muffin. Believe it or not, it's probably the best thing I've gotten for my birthday besides a round of shots or the Walmart doughnuts David gave me.

"I'm not really into birthdays, I guess. I've never been one to celebrate it. Plus a twenty-first birthday is kind of a slap in the face for me, you know? I'm twenty-one and already an alcoholic and drug addict."

"Well, I may not know much about birthdays, but I do believe yours should be celebrated after nearly dying a hundred times and actually dying once." He gave a smirk and held up the muffin.

I stared at the flickering candle, trying to remember the last time I actually made a wish and blew out some candles. I'm pretty sure I was drunk, and I'm pretty sure it was half a decade ago. What to wish for? Ironically, I think my last wish was about getting rich, so I decided to take this one a bit more seriously. I thought about wishing for freedom. It seemed like an obvious choice. But that's not what I wished for.

I wished for a freaking cheeseburger.

When I blew out the candle I knew I had just wasted a wish on something pathetic.

"I'd ask you what you wished for, but I think I know," Matthew murmured with a forced smile.

I laughed nervously. "I really doubt that."

He pulled the candle out and handed me the muffin. "You can eat that as we walk."

I snatched up the muffin and immediately began to munch on it, stuffing both cheeks until I resembled some kind of squirrel. "Huh? Walk?" I tried to question, but it just came out muffled along with several crumbles.

He gave me a look that made me think he was questioning his attraction towards me. "I got you a birthday present."

A muffin and a present? I think this is the biggest birthday I've ever had. I followed behind him with one arm wrapped around his and the other clenching the muffin close.

Matthew led me down the stairs and towards the front door where I thought maybe he bought me a pony or something. I had just finished the last bite of my food when we stepped outside and I saw my actual birthday present.

I dropped the plate.

"You didn't," I choked out, eyeing my present with eyes wide and lips parted.

Matthew caught the plate effortlessly and pulled a little black device out of his suit jacket pocket. "I did." He dropped the device into my hand.

I slid from his arm and walked up to the shiniest thing I've ever seen, letting my fingers trail over the top of it. "A Lamborghini? You're kidding, right? You probably just got me a tree sitting behind the sexiest car on earth."

Matthew gave his usual eye roll and added an extra headshake for dramatics. "You think I'd get you a tree? You've pinned me as a boring old man, haven't you?"

My lips pulled to the side as I ran my hand over the soft black door of my new car. "Well, all you do is read and adjust your tie. And you are old."

Matthew stood to the side while I practically touched every inch of the car. I sat in the driver seat and inhaled the smell of leather. It oozed expensive. My fingers trailed down the steering wheel and over the black leather seats. The smile never left my lips, even when I knew he bought this to buy my affection.

"Can I test drive it?" I asked.

"Unfortunately, no. You have a dress fitting to get to. I just wanted to give this to you beforehand. I thought it's better than a motorcycle."

I stepped back and looked at the sleek, black sports car with pride. But when I saw the license plate and felt that familiar knot form in my stomach.

JFOSTER.

It reminded me of how I only had three nights before my last name changed and I'd become Mrs. Foster. It terrified me.

"Do you like it?" Matthew asked, seeming a bit concerned with my quietness.

I tore my eyes from the license plate and looked back at the car itself in its beautiful shinning glory. "Like it? You bought me an expensive, sexy car for my birthday. My mom wouldn't even make me pancakes for my birthday. I love it." With that, I forced myself to do something that was uncomfortable for me to do, no matter who it is.

I hugged Matthew.

I've never been the hugging type. I'm more of the type to insult a person if I liked something they gave me. But I knew things had to be different. I had to be different. Signing that contract meant I had to try at this whole touchy feely life, even when I've never been successful at it. Even though I hugged him, I still managed to ruin the moment, as per usual.

"I don't know how to do this whole thing. Is hugging what I'm supposed to do? I don't get stuff often," I asked, my words muffled from my face being pressed against his chest.

"Hugging is nice. Though I think with a car, I deserve a kiss."

I pulled away from his chest and tilted my head back, closing my eyes in wait for him to kiss me.

Nothing happened.

"You look like you've just fallen asleep." He gave my body a little squeeze as if to wake me up.

I stared up at him. "You said you wanted a kiss," I explained accusingly.

"Yes, I said I deserve a kiss. I don't want to kiss some limp woman in my arms."

I sighed dramatically. Then again, he did just get me a car. Like, a real car. So I pushed my pride and feelings aside and decided to make the kiss something memorable. After all, no one has ever actually cared about my birthday before. It was touching to know he knew it and wanted to celebrate it.

I grabbed his hand and led his towards the steps. "Stand down there."

Matthew stepped down and looked at me with frown. "You're a confusing woman-"

I practically jumped him. I wrapped both legs around his waist and my arms around his neck. Thankfully Matthew's reflexes are incredible because otherwise I'd have fallen right off of him if it weren't for him catching me and holding me up. My lips pressed firmly against his and then moved in a way I was used to when it came to kissing, which has been described to me as messy, passionate, and I once was reviewed as absolutely incredible, but I don't want to brag.

Matthew held me up with one arm and snatched the back of my neck with the other, forcing me close as he had earlier. To say this kiss was passionate would be an understatement. I think things caught on fire around us.

"Umm..." a voice behind me muttered awkwardly.

I broke the kiss and looked behind me to see Nicholas standing in the doorway with a look of embarrassment. Before I could say anything, Matthew began planting small kisses down my jaw and on my neck, causing me to nearly fall out of his arms in surprise.

"I didn't mean to interrupt..." Nicholas went on, turning back towards the door.

"Oh, no, it's fine! It's all good. We're just, err, it's my birthday and-Matthew, stop." I pushed Matthew's head away from my shoulder when his kissing was becoming too much.

Matthew growled, his eyes on Nicholas. "Couldn't have waited five more minutes?"

Nicholas looked down at his black leather shoes, unable to meet Matthew's intimidating eyes. "Lacey wanted me to tell Joanna to meet her in the lounge."

"I should definitely go and meet her. Um, Matthew, let me down." I squirmed against his hold and reached towards Nicholas as if he'd help me.

"Mmm. No." He held me tighter with both arms.

I gave him a death glare. "I have to try on wedding dresses, remember? Don't you still want to marry me?" I questioned with a tight smile.

Matthew's cocky smile faded and he gave a defeated huff. "We'll continue this later, after I've ripped Nicholas' arm off." He gave a quick peck on my lips before gently setting me on my feet.

I stepped away, slightly wobbly, and headed towards the door with what little pride I had left.

"Are you coming, Matthew? Liam and I are having drinks in the guest house," Nicholas said as I smoothed the wrinkles in my dress.

Matthew ran his fingers through his now messy hair and straightened his tie. "No. I think I'm just going to take a walk for a bit." His eyes met mine with an intensity before he turned away and began casually strolling down a stone path nearby.

I wiped my lips with my fingertips and gave Nicholas a light and friendly smile. Externally I was this happy woman who just snuck off to share a heated kiss with their future husband. Internally, however, I couldn't believe what had just happened and couldn't control the knot tightening in my stomach. The kiss was supposed to be a thank you and, sure, slightly heated because I knew Matthew was questioning whether I was actually going through with the deal. But the kiss became something more, something I didn't want and couldn't shake off. Part of the panic was because I knew it was just the beginning.

I squared my shoulders and tried to pretend I was super excited about everything when, in reality, I just wanted to go back to my room and lock myself in. But my room was no longer mine, and I had nowhere else to run and hide anymore. I forced myself to toughen up, reminding myself of who I was; I'm Joanna Garth, and I always survive.

.....................................................................................................................................

(Since it won't let me do a dedication) This chapter is dedicated to jessmb94 for being super awesome and making me some awesome stuff :)

I was originally going to make this chapter about the wedding dress fitting, but it just became too long and I really wanted this moment between Matthew and Joanna in this chapter.

What do you think of this chapter? What about Matthew and Joanna? Do you think Joanna's dark mood will change?

Leave your thoughts down below! I'd love to hear your opinions of this book so far :)

-Currie

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.5K 404 23
Vinice Anderson. Your normal human girl, right? Wrong. At birth she was adopted into a loving family of werewolves. She had caring parents and an ama...
315 29 24
THIS WAS THE FIRST BOOK I EVER TRIED TO WRITE IT SUCKS, I'M SORRY // A WORD TO THE WISE: Do not under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES call Lizzy by her full first...
96.6K 3K 77
Margaret Allie Brandon. A 17-year-old girl stuck living with an abusive guardian since her mother died in a car crash. The same car crash that left M...
153 3 1
When you grow up thinking you're human, suddenly turning into a wolf during the full moon just after your seventeenth birthday can be quite traumatiz...