High School Survival Theory

By sirexcc001

Life is hard. Specially when you're a high schooler. You can never know when your life is about to go up. And... More

Author's Note
The Theory
Chapter 01
Chapter 02
Chapter 03
Chapter 04
Chapter 05
Chapter 06
Chapter 07
Chapter 08
Chapter 09
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Epilogue
Also by me :D
Covers
NEW STORY

Chapter 50

506 24 11
By sirexcc001

We drive to my place first to drop Grisbee, much to Riley's protest, and then to McDonald's as it's the closest place to dine in. But it's not our fault that McDonald's doesn't allow pets inside.

Ashton leaves us to choose a table while he buys our food.

"So," Riley says once we choose a table in the middle. "How long do you know my brother?"

I blink. Though she says the world in a sweet manner, they almost sound like coming from a grownup. "Since his first day at his school. I was the one who showed him around."

Riley perks up. "So you're the one who got into a fight with him?"

Did he tell her that too? They must be pretty close.

"Your brother was the one who started it," I inform her.

"So it was you," Riley confirms.

I nod. "Though we're past it now."

Her next question takes me off guard. "Do you like my brother?"

My eyes go big as soon as she asks the question. I try to find a decent reply for that, but Riley continues. "Cause my brother likes you a lot."

Say what?!

Before I can wrap up my mind around her words, Ashton returns with our food. "So what're girls talking about?"

"Nothing, just trying to get to know each other better," Riley smiles as her brother ruffles her hair and sits down.

Well, it can't possibly be what I heard. I'm sure she meant it in a friendly way. I mean how much does an eight-year-old know about that kind of liking?

But all my hopes crash when Riley winks at me when Ashton wasn't looking.

I ignore meeting any of the siblings in the eye and sip my drink. Let's just hope for now that she was jesting.

The rest of the afternoon passes peacefully as Riley tells us about her day. After McDonald's, we go to an ice cream where Ashton buys ice creams for all of us.

Don't get me wrong, I'm usually a very self-respectful girl who pays for all her things. But I can never say no to free food. Especially if that money is coming out of someone who literally sleeps on them.

"-and then I punched him in the stomach and he fell back groaning," Riley finishes her story of how she beat an upper-class-boy because he was making fun of her friend. "I did the right thing, right?"

I nod. "Absolutely."

"Don't encourage her," Ashton grimaces and eats his vanilla ice cream.

Typical Ashton.

"I thought you wanted her to stay away from boys," I whisper when Riley isn't paying attention.

Ashton nods. "Yes, I want her to stay away from them, not to become their center of attention."

I doubt any boy will come ten-meter radius around her after that stunt she played today.

But Riley doesn't bother to listen to her brother as she happily eats her ice cream.

"Did I mention my middle name is Margaret?" The toddler rolls her eyes with a snort, which looked very adorable. "I mean, what parents of this century names their daughter Margaret?"

"At least it's your gender name," Ashton mumbles. He didn't mean it for us to listen, but we did anyway.

"Speaking of middle names," Ashton tenses as I say, "You never told me your middle name. Do you even have one?"

Riley perks up. "You don't know?"

"Riley," Ashton hisses. "Don't."

Riley sticks her tongue out at him and turns back to me.

"It's Olive."

I start choking instantly. Riley panics and comes to my side to pat my back.

"I'm alright," I tell her and turn to Ashton.

The boy refuses to look at me. Then I remember the day when I told him my middle name.

He had this amused look on his face. I didn't understand it then, but now I know what it was for.

Time passes, but Ashton doesn't dare to look at me. I also refuse to look away. Finally, he sighs and looks at me.

'Don't-do-dare to say it,' Ashton mouths.

And that does it. I burst into a roar of laughter, earning our neighboring tables' attention.

Ashton curses under his breath and Riley looks between us.

"What happened?" She asks.

I try to contain my laughter. But nothing works. Ashton also refuses to answer.

Finally, when I succeed in achieving it, I say- "Your brother and I share the same middle name."

Riley turns from me to her brother, who nods grumpily. There are two tiny red dots on his cheeks.

Riley starts laughing too and pats him on the cheek.  "I'm really sorry for you, brother."

Ashton only grumbles in reply.

Am I the only one who thinks there's a double meaning behind it?

I mentally shrug and let it go.

Once I manage to get a hold of the laughter, I drink my Oreo shake and look past Ashton at the clock.

I almost split the drink out. "I'm busted!"

Ashton turns to me. "Really?"

I ignore him. "I need to call mom-" I search for my phone in my pockets, but it's nowhere. Suddenly I remember I never brought it with me. I left it plugged in so it would charge.

"I need to go home now," I announce. Ashton sets on his foot.

"Alright let's go," he starts but I stop him.

"You guys should stay," I tell him. "I can walk home."

Ashton shakes his head. "That'll be a waste of time, plus it's getting late, we have to go home too."

Riley has finished her ice cream already, so I pick up my smoothie as we start our journey to Ashton's car.

I wonder if mom and dad tried to call me. The school must've already reported to them about my absence. And Kat, oh Kat! I've almost forgotten she has gone to Florida. I told her to call me once she reached there.

Ashton pulls in front of my house.

"Thank you guys so much," I turn to face them. "I had so much fun today. Sorry, we had to cut it short because of me."

Ashton waves a hand. "It's alright. It was getting late anyway."

Riley agrees with him and hugs me. "Please come to visit us," she pulls back. "Ashton never lets me meet with his girlfriends. But I'm so glad he let me meet you."

And there's that awkward pause again.

Riley looks between us. "What?" From the corner of my eyes, I see Ashton sending her a deathly glare. She huffs and falls back on her seat.

I look at Ashton's face and my eyes unconsciously fall on his lips.

My eyes move up and find him doing the same. His eyes meet mine. Thankfully it's dark outside otherwise Ashton would've noticed the redness of my cheeks.

I clear my throat. "Thanks for the day again," I try to smile without looking flushed.

Ashton also smiles awkwardly. "Anytime," he mutters.

We hold each other's gaze for a while before I look away and get out of the car. I don't wait for them to drive away before hurrying inside.

Grisbee runs down the stairs when she hears the door opening.

"Come on girl, let's get your food," I take her to the kitchen. There's nobody at home today except for me. I lock the backdoor before walking to my room. When I pick up my phone it's dead.

My brow furrows and I check the switch and find it turned off. I slap myself and turn it on this time.

Mom might've called me earlier and found it switched off. She must be worried. So I check our landline. There's a voicemail from Kat asking why I wasn't picking my phone and that they had arrived in Florida safely.

I try to call Mom but it goes straight to voicemail.

Strange, it never happened before.  I try dad's phone but he's not picking up either.

'Don't worry, they are two grown adults, they must've gone somewhere out of network reach,' My consciousness reasons. So I let it go.

I take a shower afterward and go to bed. The silence of the house seems odd.

I probably should've gone over to Miles' tonight. But it's too late to regret it.

A yawn lefts my mouth. I haven't realized until now how tired I am. I walk inside the closet to change my clothes. My eyes immediately fall on the survival theory. And then the camera bag laying down beside it.

When was the last time I used it? Without thinking, I walk over and pick it up.

My hands hesitate to open it. Shall I? It's been so long, three years since I last touched it. It might not even work anymore.

I sigh and let it be. It's too late to go back anyway. I change into my pajamas and carry myself to the bed. A smile creeps into my face as I recall the day. Riley was such a darling. And Ashton, he was so caring all day. Who knew Ashton Fellan's company could ever make me feel this good?

I roll over the bed and bury my face in the duvet as I fall into a peaceful sleep.

📸

Thoughts?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

51.4K 1K 37
I would bet none of you have ever had that dream summer that all of us want.... that summer where you meet a boy on the beach and go surfing even tho...
4.1K 120 7
What would you do if your boyfriend broke up with you for someone else? Even worse. She is that girl. Popular, shallow and horribly perfect. The one...
66.4K 2.4K 23
"I'm sorry that I put you in this situation." "I'm not following." I really wasn't. "This. Us! What we did last night was reckless and so so perfec...
230 80 26
"I told you, you should've taken a picture" "Too bad. We'll be seeing each other more often. Hi, I'm Noah, final year student at Glacier Academy, han...