A Different Life

By irishsask

Rory over hears a conversation a week before graduation that changes everything. More

One
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
forteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty one
twenty two
twenty three
twenty four
twenty five
twenty six
twenty seven
twenty eight
twenty nine
thirty
thirty one
thirty two
thirty three
thirty four
thirty six
thirty seven
thirty eight
thirty nine
forty
forty one
forty two
forty three
forty four
forty five
forty six
forty-seven
forty eight
forty-nine
fifty
Epilogue

thirty five

1.4K 39 1
By irishsask

It had been two weeks since the bachelor party. Only Colin had heard from Logan, who had apologised to him, Finn didn't know what had been said, but he knew that for now Colin was accepting Logan's apology at face value and trying to move past the incident.

Finn was at work, he was just getting ready to leave for the day. Rory was in court in Boston so he was on his own for the evening, and had therefore worked a little later than normal. As he was packing up his cell began to ring, he picked it up distractedly, without looking at the call display.

"Hello."

"Hey Finn, I wasn't sure if you would answer me."

"Logan? If I had looked at the caller id I'm not so sure I would have answered you."

"I deserve that. Finn I want to meet up with you, I need to apologise to you for how I acted in Vegas."

"Yeah, you do." Finn retorted, not giving Logan any leeway.

"Are you busy tonight? I'm in the city for the night and I was just about to head out for dinner."

"I am free tonight, I'm just not so sure I want to spend my free night with you."

"Please Finn, give me the opportunity to apologise and say my piece, if after that you still don't want to talk to me then that's fine, you never have to." Logan pleaded.

"Fine. The usual place at nine?" Finn asked.

"Yes, sounds good. I'll see you then."

Finn looked at his phone once he hung up. He had a strange feeling about this meeting. He sighed, took a look at his watch before picking up his cell again to dial.

"Colin McCrae speaking."

"Hey Mate, its me."

"Hey Finn, how are you? What can I do for you?"

"I'm ok. I just had a strange phone call from Logan."

"Strange how?" Colin asked.

"Strange as in he voluntarily rang me to apologise, and wants to meet to apologise properly in person."

"Logan? Logan Elias Huntzberger called you to apologise with no prompting at all?"

"Yip."

"Yeah you're right that's odd. What did you say?"

"I agreed to meet him tonight, at the usual spot. But I have a strange feeling about it."

"I do too, and I'm only hearing about it second hand," Colin said.

"How would you feel about coming with me, but hiding at the bar or somewhere so I have a witness if he tries anything? I just don't trust him anymore."

"Okay, I'll go about twenty minutes before you are due to get there and see if I can get positioned to spy on you."

"Thanks Colin, you're a lifesaver. Hopefully, it won't be needed but, until I'm sure I would just prefer this."

"No, I understand Finn. I'll talk to you later."

"Laters," Finn said, hanging up his cell, he dropped into his office chair with a sigh. He had two hours to go, so he decided to go home for a shower and to get changed out of his work clothes before meeting Logan, for what he hoped would be an uneventful evening.

Meanwhile in Boston, Rory was just finishing up in court for the day, she had presented her closing arguments, but the Judge wasn't expected to return with a decision until the next morning. Rory decided she just wanted to have a quiet night in, she knew Paris was on night shift at the hospital, and everyone else was in New York. Getting home she changed into her sweats with a Harvard T-shirt on top, she quickly ordered a pizza and set herself up with her laptop. She had taken to spending the nights she was alone working so that when she could see Finn she didn't have to work unless absolutely necessary. Opening her email she saw she had an email from her Grandpa. He apparently had been keeping an eye out on real estate for her without her even asking, he would occasionally send her apartments in New York, which considering neither she or Finn had mentioned moving to them was peculiar. Rory's apartment was definitely large enough that if they didn't want to move they wouldn't have to.

Today he had sent her a link to a brownstone in New York. It was a six story walk up, it had six bedrooms, nine bathrooms, with a wine cellar, a library, and a rooftop garden terrace. It was on the Upper West side. Rory had no idea how he even found it, it was the kind of place that sold quickly, and very rarely made it to the open market. She knew she could technically afford it, especially if it was to be a family home, but she wasn't sure about what Finn's stance would be on spending that much money. It was definitely more than she would ever allow Finnegan and Charlotte to spend on them.

Rory picked up her cell to call him,

"Hey Kitten,"

"Hey Honey, you at home?"

"I am for now, why?"

"I wanted to show you something. If you open your laptop I'll send you a link."

"Sure, it's open already, so send away."

"Okay, sending. So home for now? Are you heading out?" Rory asked.

"Yes Kitten, Logan called and apologised, he asked me to meet him this evening so he can apologise in person."

"Really?" Rory asked, the shock evident in her tone.

"Yep I was shocked too. Holy Crap Rory!"

"Yes Finn?"

"Where did you find that house?"

"Grandpa sent it to me, I don't want to even think about how he found it."

"It's amazing, it's like the dream New York house."

"Really? You like it?"

"Like it?! No, I love it," he exclaimed.

"So should I try and arrange a viewing for this weekend?" Rory asked hesitantly.

"Can we afford something like that?" Finn asked skeptically.

"I wouldn't be willing to accept anything from your parents for that house, but yes, I can afford it by myself, so I'm sure together we could afford it. I think we might need to sit down at some point and have the awkward money declaration conversation."

"Yes, I think we might. If you can afford that house alone Kitten, you are definitely my sugar mama." Finn said laughing, trying to break the serious nature the call had taken.

"Okay, I will arrange a viewing for this weekend if I can, we are also supposed to have a meeting with my Grandmothers, mother, and your mother about the wedding this weekend, and I am totally dragging you along."

"Okay, okay you twisted my arm, I'll come to the wedding meeting after looking at the beautiful property."

"What time are you meeting Logan?"

"In twenty minutes, I'm going to have to go." Finn said apologetically.

"That's okay, call or text me later, have a good night, I love you."

"Love you too, bye Kitten."

Colin walked into the bar where Finn and Logan were meeting, it was an establishment that the guys frequented often and therefore he knew the staff. He quickly spoke to the hostess and explained what he wanted, that he needed to be able to see Logan and Finn, but to ensure that they were unable to see him, he tipped her greatly for helping him.

Ten minutes later his efforts were rewarded when he saw Logan walk in with a redhead on his arm. Colin watched as Logan talked to the redhead and then directed her towards the bar while he was seated at a table for two, to wait for Finn.

Colin took the opportunity to quickly text Finn.

C: Logan is up to something, not sure what but just be on guard.

F: Thanks for the heads up, I'll be there in a minute.

Finn walked in and walked straight up to the table where Logan was sitting.

"Hey."

"Hi Finn, thanks for coming," Logan said. "I ordered you a scotch, I assumed you would want your usual."

"Thanks, so you wanted to see me in person."

"Wow so you want to dive straight into it." Logan asked.

"Well I don't see the point in wasting time on pleasantries at this point," Finn said with an eyebrow raise.

"Okay, okay. I was out of line in Vegas, I shouldn't have acted like that."

"At which part of the weekend are you talking about Logan?" Finn wasn't going to let him off easily.

"All of it. It wasn't my place to talk about your fiance like that."

"Is that all?" Finn asked.

"Is that not enough?" Logan looked unsure now.

"What about when we were out in the desert? You left me hanging upside down with no way to call for help?"

"That was just a bit of fun Finn, no need to be so uptight. Jeez what has Ace done to you."

Finn bristled at the use of Rory's old nickname. "No Logan, it wasn't just a bit of fun, I could have been seriously injured, as it was I was covered in bruises from it."

"God, fine, I'm sorry that I got carried away while we were out having fun." Logan apologised while rolling his eyes.

"That is the fakest apology I've ever heard Logan, Its time -"

"Whoops!" Finn was interrupted by the redhead Logan had been with earlier landing in his lap.

"I'm so sorry, thank you for breaking my fall," she said while bracing her hands against his chest and shoulders.

"No problem, you should be careful," Finn said with a smile, helping her get up and regain her balance.

"Let me buy you a drink for the inconvenience," the redhead offered while biting her lip seductively towards Finn.

"No, Thank you but I was just leaving. You can stay and have a drink with my friend here if you would like." And with that statement Finn stormed off quickly, too quickly to realise that Logan was looking at him smugly.

Colin quickly left the bar behind Finn, managing to remain undetected by Logan.

"Hey Finn, wait up," he shouted down the block. Finn stopped to wait for Colin to catch up.

"Hey, so did you see all that?" Finn asked.

"Yes, I could see but I couldn't hear."

"Let's just say it was an insulting attempt at an apology, while also managing to insult Rory again."

"Shit, I really hoped that he would mean it. What was with the girl at the end?"

"Just someone who tripped and fell, she offered me a drink for breaking her fall, which I declined and then left. Why?"

"That's who walked into the bar with Logan, he directed her to wait at the bar."

"What? I wonder what he is up to."

"I don't know, but maybe make sure you tell Rory everything said tonight, who knows what he is planning."

"I will," Finn said, looking around he realised he was at the point where they should split to walk to their respective homes. "Have a good evening Colin, thanks for coming and having my back, say hi to Steph."

"No problem, you would do the same for me, see you." and with that Colin went down his block.

Two days later and Rory was in her Manhattan office, she was preparing to leave early for the weekend. It had been a long week and she had a feeling that her weekend in Hartford was not going to be relaxing. Her reverie was broken by a knock on her door, as her assistant stuck his head in the door.

"Miss Hayden, this package came for you earlier."

"Thanks Charlie, you're never going to be able to call me Leigh are you?" she asked with a smile, he had been working for her for almost two years and she still couldn't get him to drop the formalities.

"Probably not Miss Hayden." he said with an apologetic smile.

"Thank you," she replied, taking the package from his hand. "It's probably just the minutes from the board meeting on Monday." As Charlie left she opened the package carefully only for glossy photographs to fall out.

"What the hell?" Rory's desk was now covered in eight by ten photos of Finn smiling at a redhead in his lap while her hands were on his chest and shoulders, some had him holding her hand, others appeared to be just of them talking. Rory picked up her cell and quickly dialed.

"Finn."

"Yes Rory, you ok? You don't normally call during the day."

"I know what Logan was up to the other night in the bar."

"What do you mean? How?" Finn asked, confusion in his tone.

"I just got a package delivered to work," Rory said, she was beginning to pace around her office. "It was full of photographs."

"Are you pacing? Take a deep breath and sit down, Love. Photographs of what?"

"I can't sit down. Photographs of you smiling at a redhead in your lap as her hands are all over your chest and shoulders."

"That asshole, he set me up." Finn was shouting now.

"Yes he did, and if you and Colin hadn't already told me about him strangely arriving with a redhead who later tripped into you, we would be having a very different conversation Finn. These pictures don't look good." Rory's insecurities were clear in her voice.

"Love, you know they were staged and that was a two minute interaction of me being polite?" Finn asked hesitantly.

"Yes Finn I know, I will feel better once I see you."

"Hold tight, I'll come to your office, you are leaving early anyway so we can go meet the real estate broker."

"Thanks Finn," Rory said, hanging up and dropping into her chair. Picture in hand, she released a sigh. Logan had been sneaky, those photographs might have worked if her and Finn didn't have the level of communication that they currently had.

Ten minutes later Finn walked in the door to Rory's office, he stopped dead at the sight that awaited him. Rory was in her chair, head in her hands, surrounded by pictures of him with another girl, another girl that two years ago would have been his exact type and they both knew it.

"Rory," she looked up at the sound of his voice.

"Finn," her voice cracked at the word. He quickly rushed across her office and pulled her up and into his arms.

"Oh Rory, I am so sorry, sorry that you had to see these." Finn said, stroking her hair as he tried to calm her. "I will make sure he pays."

"Finn, it's okay, I know you weren't doing anything but I just can't help it. My insecurities get the best of me."

"What can I do to help?" he asked looking down into her slightly teary eyes.

"This, just this, holding me in your arms helps. I'm sorry that you are having to deal with my left over insecurities from everyone else. I've never been enough for anyone, so I struggle to see how I can be enough for you." Rory admitted looking out the window, ignoring Finn's gaze.

"You are more than enough for me, and I will continue to try and show you that." Finn said, tipping her chin towards him so she had no option but to look him in the eyes to see he was being sincere.

"So we are going to go drool over our dream house, spend all night making love and all weekend planning our wedding, and potentially revenge on Logan. Okay Kitten?"

"If you say so," Rory mutters halfheartedly.

"Care to repeat that?"

"Yes honey, let's go." Rory said, giving him a kiss.

"Not so fast, maybe we need to christen your office," Finn said with a smirk pulling Rory back in for a deeper kiss.

"Not on a Friday while the office is still full, come on you deviant you." Rory said, tugging him out of the office.

"Just to be clear, that was a not right now, not an outright no?"

Rory pulled him into the elevator with a giggle.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

294K 11.8K 44
Hayden Gilmore was like the many women in her family who came before her; pretty, smart and addicted to coffee. And growing up in the small, close-kn...
134K 3.9K 40
Five years after saying goodbye at Rory's graduation and living separate lives, Logan and Rory's path cross once again. Sparks fly, but life isn't as...
125K 4.4K 52
At the end of Gilmore Girls: A Year In the Life, Rory finds herself carrying a permanent reminder of Logan. She unexpectedly finds comfort in the ar...
3.1K 164 15
What Rory's life could've looked like after college if things had gone a little differently.