Coming Home (Sequel to This T...

By MiddleEarthPixie

Since the night Loki Odinson crash landed in her apartment, McKenna Carlin's life has gone from ordinary and... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-EIght
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Author's Note

Chapter Ten

670 26 8
By MiddleEarthPixie

CHAPTER TEN

It wasn't often the Odinson family ventured out for dinner, but when they did, their restaurant of choice was Amy's, a cozy, family run-place in Clinton, which wasn't too far from home. The food was good, the service was exceptional. It was usually a nice way to unwind and tonight was no exception.

When dinner was over, she and Loki each held a carrier in one hand, and Aislinn held Loki's free hand while Selig slipped his hand into McKenna's. They stepped out into the warm night and she sighed as they drew near the Pilot. She still wasn't entirely comfortable driving the huge SUV, but after the twins' arrival, her Accord just wasn't big enough.

They got the twins' seats clicked into place, Selig and Aislinn into their own seats, and she sank into the driver's seat with a sigh. "Man, no one ever told me it would one day exhaust me to have to put four kids into a car."

Loki climbed up into the passenger seat and grinned at her. "You should have let me take care of it."

"No offense, but I'd rather not risk it with magic." She turned over the engine, put the transmission into gear, and carefully eased out of the small gravel lot.

By the time they were home, only Selig remained awake, although his eyes were pretty heavy-lidded. "Mommy, will you read me a story?"

"Sure, sweetie. Just let me get your brother and sisters down for the night, while you pick out a book."

"Okay." He eased down from the Pilot and followed Loki inside while McKenna leaned over to unbuckle Aislinn.

"Momma..." she mumbled thickly, snuggling into McKenna's shoulder.

"Mommy's right here, little bit," she whispered, carefully pushing the door shut.

"Seepy, Momma..."

"I know, princess. You'll be tucked in your bed in just a few minutes."

"Where's Daddy?"

"He's taking the twins inside. He'll come kiss you good night when he's finished." McKenna kissed the top of Aislinn's head as she carried her right up to her room. The toddler didn't so much as open her eyes as McKenna changed her in to her pajamas and by the time Loki came into the room, Aislinn was sound asleep.

"Nicholas and Kyra are also out," he whispered, easing his arm about her waist. "And Selig is waiting for you to read him a story."

"She's all yours, then, Daddy," McKenna whispered back, nodding in Aislinn's direction.

Loki gave her a gentle squeeze. "Are you all right, darling girl?"

"I'm fine, Loki. Just a little worn out. It's been a long day."

"So go read Selig his story and go draw yourself a bath."

"That sounds wonderful."

Aislinn's sheets rustled and she murmured, "Daddy...?"

"What, love?" he whispered, bending over her.

"Can I have story, Daddy?"

"Of course, little bit. The Velveteen Rabbit?"

"Pwease, Daddy."

McKenna smiled as Loki gave in, and when she finished reading to Selig, who only made it through half the book, and went back to check, both Aislinn and Loki were asleep. She paused in the doorway, pressing a hand to her lips. Loki lay on his back on Aislinn's bed, his right arm around her as she snuggled against him, her head on his chest. The book, still in his left hand, lay face down on his left hip. They were like opposite-sized bookends, pale-skinned and dark-haired.

They looked so peaceful together. McKenna didn't want to disturb either of them, so she gently eased the book from Loki's grasp, and then tugged the Frozen comforter up over both of them.

She smiled down. Frozen. It amused her that Aislinn was so head over heels about the movie about the princess who could freeze things with just a touch of her hand. Aislinn was only beginning to discover her gifts for magic, and making snow was the first thing Loki had taught Selig, so it was only proper he taught his daughter the same thing. So when Aislinn discovered Elsa and Frozen, she identified with the character almost immediately. Since then, Frozen had taken over Aislinn's room.

The comforter was both princesses-Elsa and Anna-along with their snowman friend, Olaf. As she smoothed the comforter, she wondered if that would be Aislinn and Kyra. It was entirely possible for Kyra to be like her mother in more than just appearance, but McKenna hoped not. Her children were already different from Midgardian children, she didn't want Kyra feeling like the odd man out in her own family when the time came.

As she flicked the light switch and the nightlight became the only glow in the room, she paused in the doorway to peer over her shoulder once more. Aislinn wasn't even two yet. She would most likely not remember snuggling up to her father and falling asleep with him as he read to her.

But McKenna would never forget the sight of father and daughter cuddled together. If little girls grew up to marry men who were like their fathers, Aislinn was a lucky girl. Loki wasn't perfect, but he was a good man and he did set a good example for what sort of man a girl should set her sights upon.

Her hand came down onto the cool wood trim of the doorway. Did she and her own father do this? She couldn't remember. She barely remembered any of her childhood with him. But they must have done something together. She knew she'd been a daddy's girl. At least, she thought she was. For so many years it was only her and her mother. But why couldn't she remember more of her father being around?

She sighed as she shook her head, and pulled the door by. As she padded back to her and Loki's room, she gave up trying to find a memory. There were none, good or bad. It was as if he ceased to exist once he and her mother split up. As if someone had wiped her memories from her, leaving her only with those of her mother and happier childhood times.

"What a creepy thought," she muttered, throwing herself face down on her and Loki's bed.

She didn't realize she'd dozed off until the floor creaked and her eyes snapped open. The room was dark and quiet.

The creaking sound came from the hallway.

Rubbing the sleep from her eyes, McKenna slowly rolled over and sat up."Loki? Is that you?"

The creaking stopped and she waited for his low, "I didn't mean to startle you, love."

But only silence followed.

"Loki? This isn't funny." She reached over to switch on the lamp and eased out of the bed. Without making a sound, she crept across the room to the doorway and jumped out into the hallway.

A bright flash lit up the inside of her skull as she dropped to her knees, she saw the snap and flutter of a long black coat as someone hurried down the stairs before tears of pain blinded her.

In a fog, she got back to her feet, clutching the banister for support as the entire hallway swam before her. "Loki!"

"McKenna? What the-"

The hall light blazed bright overhead and she squinted, rubbing the goose egg rising on the back of her head. Loki crouched over her. "What's the matter, love?"

"Didn't you see him?" she asked, fighting down a rising tide of nausea. Damn, that lump was huge. What hit her?

"See who? I was in Aislinn's room, thought I heard you walking about, and then you let out a yell."

She sucked in a sharp breath as his fingers probed the knot on the back of her skull. "Ow, Loki, not so hard..."

"Mommy? Are you okay?"

McKenna swallowed hard against the bile rising in her throat as she turned toward Selig, rumpled and rubbing his eyes with one hand. "I'm fine. I think." She peered up at Loki. "It wasn't me, Loki. Someone else is in the house."

His jaw tightened. "Take Selig and wait in Aislinn's room. I'll be right back."

"Loki-"

He stood, gently helping her up as he did. "Do not argue, love. Just do it, all right?" He held out a hand to Selig. "Come here, Sel. You need to help Mommy check on Aislinn, all right?"

Selig nodded. "Okay."

McKenna sighed, but did as Loki asked and as she closed the door to Aislinn's room, a faint green glow shone around the door's edges. Selig frowned at it and looked up at her. "What's that?"

She sighed. The last time she'd seen this, was the night Loki crashed into her apartment and he sealed her door magically to prevent anyone from getting in or out. It was gone by the next morning, so she had no idea what would happen to someone if they tried to open it while it glowed, but knowing Loki, it probably wouldn't be wise to try it.

"Daddy is just taking a precaution with us," she whispered, rumpling Selig's hair. "Let's be quiet so we don't wake up your sister, okay?"

Selig nodded and she guided him over to the window seat. As she sank into it, she patted the Frozen themed cushion. "Come and sit, little man."

He climbed up next to her. "What's Daddy doing?"

She sighed. "I heard someone in the hallway, Sel. Daddy is just going to investigate."

"What's investmigate?"

She smiled, smoothing his hair away from his face. "Investigate, sweetie. It means he's going to take a look around, to make sure no one broke into the house."

"What about Kyra and Nicky?"

"They are fine. I'm sure Daddy sealed their door as well." She snuggled Selig closer, and bent to kiss the top of his head.

Selig cuddled closer still. "I'm kinda scared, Mommy. What if it's Mr. Ward and he's back to grab me or you?"

"Oh, love," McKenna carefully lifted Selig to settle him in her lap and wrapped her arms about him, "you don't need to ever worry about Grant Ward again. I promise you, he will not be coming back."

"How do you know?"

"Because I know, baby."

Selig pulled away, twisting to stare up at her with pale blue eyes. "But how?"

"Because." She took a deep breath and added, "I saw him die, sweetie. In an explosion."

Selig stared at her for a long moment and then he pressed his lips together, as if deep in thought. Finally, he briefly looked away, then met her gaze again as he said, "Daddy killed him, didn't he?"

It was her turn to pause. Selig held her stare and she knew he knew the truth. With a slow nod, she said, "Yes, Selig. Daddy killed him."

"Was Daddy happy about it?"

"No." McKenna didn't hesitate that time. Stroking Selig's hair away from his face, she murmured, "He wasn't at all happy about it, Sel. But Mr. Ward was a dangerous man and tried to hurt me and you. Daddy did what he felt he had to do in order to make sure that never, ever happens again."

Selig sighed softly, as if he had the weight of all nine realms on his small shoulders. Tucking his head against her breast, he murmured, "Mommy, does that make Daddy a bad man?"

"No. It makes him a protective man. No one threatens Loki Odinson's family. No one lifts a hand to his son-" she touched the tip of Selig's nose-"or stabs his wife and gets away with it."

Selig shivered against her. "I'm scared, Mommy. What if Mr. Ward came back?"

"He didn't, sweetie. Trust me on that one." Still, she tightened her arms about him and rocked him gently, the way she used to when he was a baby. He snuggled into her, his arms tight about her middle, his head tucked against her.

"Mommy?" he whispered after a few minutes of total silence.

"What, Sel?"

"Did you see Daddy kill him?"

"No. But I saw the explosion."

Selig lifted his head, his eyes wide and glittering in the moonlight. "An explosion?"

She nodded. "Daddy is creative. I don't know how he did it, but the whole cabin went-"

"Kaboom!" Selig broke in.

She nodded and grinned. "Kaboom."

"But Daddy was all right?"

"He was a little cut and bruised, but yep. He was just fine. It was his kaboom, after all."

That made Selig giggle. "His kaboom."

McKenna smiled. "His kaboom."

He fell silent and she continued to rock him, smiling as he grew heavy and limp against her. The clock on Aislinn's changing table glowed two-thirty in the morning and finally, the green glow faded from around the door and Loki poked his head in, whispering, "McKenna?"

"Shhh..." she whispered back. "Selig's asleep."

He opened the door completely and came into the room. "Pass him to me and I'll tuck him back in bed."

She winced as she shifted. Her right arm was almost completely numb. Still, she managed to do the handoff and as she rose, her spine cracked and popped. Aislinn mumbled in her sleep, rolling over on top of her favorite stuffed dog.

McKenna paused long enough to tug the animal out from under her and tucked it back next to her, kissed the top of Aislinn's head, and then left her in peace, drawing the door by as she left.

Loki was just coming out of Selig's room and she slipped her arm through his. "Did you find anything?"

"Whoever it was, they're long gone," he said, pausing at the middle of the hallway to peer down into the darkness of the first floor. "The police are on their way, though."

She sighed. "If you couldn't find him, what makes you think they will?"

A grin pulled at his lips and he arched one brow as he said, "I figured you'd insist on my calling them."

Leaning back against the banister, McKenna shoved her hair away from her face with one hand. "I guess it can't hurt."

She watched as a black and white cruiser, its lights off, rolled into their driveway and two officers climbed out. Slipping her hand into Loki's, she smothered another sigh and went down to let them in before they rang the bell and woke up the children.

***

It was nearly four AM by the time the two officers left and McKenna's eyes burned with fatigue. Unfortunately, since she'd only gotten a quick glimpse of whoever it was who hit her, she wasn't much help and although they said they'd look into, she wasn't holding out much hope their intruder would be identified.

"Are you certain you don't wish to go to the hospital and have that bump looked at, Mrs. Odinson?" Office Mackie asked for probably the tenth time.

"I'm certain. It's fine. I've got a head like a rock." She made a fist and lightly thumped the top of her head. "See?"

"If you're sure..."

"I'm sure. I didn't blackout, I didn't lose consciousness, I just kind of sat for a few minutes, that's all. I'm fine." She tried unsuccessfully to smother her yawn. "Really, all I want is to go to bed now."

And with that, both officers left and she leaned her head against Loki's shoulder as he closed the inside front door. "Is it just me, or was that a total waste of time?"

"It might have been, but at least there's a record now." He draped an arm about her shoulders. "Let's get you back to bed. You look about ready to collapse."

"I feel about ready to collapse."

They went back upstairs, where McKenna paused at the middle of the hallway railing and gazed down into the darkness. "How did anyone get in here? That's what I don't get? No locks were picked, no windows were forced."

"I don't know." Loki's expression turned grave as he also peered down into the darkness. A swish of his fingers, and a faint green glow emanating from all around. "But if they try to get in again, they'll quickly regret it."

She fought off a shiver as he steered her back toward their room. "Why didn't the alarm go off, though? I don't know, maybe I left the slider unlocked when the kids were outside earlier. I'd swear I locked it, but it wouldn't be the first time I'd forgotten."

"That I couldn't tell you, love. And I don't know about the alarm, either, but I will be making a phone call to the alarm company in the morning." He kissed the top of her head. "You left me for dead in Aislinn's room."

"I did not. You both looked far too comfortable to disturb. How far into the book did you get?"

"Where the boy gets scarlet fever." His smile was sleepy. "What's scarlet fever?"

"I don't know, but Shay had it when we were kids. I couldn't play with her for two weeks and they were the longest two weeks of my life."

In their room, Loki shut the door and with a flick of his fingers, turned down the covers. "The sun will be up before we know it, but we should at least try to get some sleep."

With a long sigh, McKenna flopped facedown onto her side and smiled as she went from jeans and a tee shirt into the shorts and New York Rangers tee shirt she slept in. There were definite advantages to being married to a god.

The mattress dipped and a slight chill sank into her as Loki slid his arm about her to pull her against him. He cradled her back against his chest, as he did every night, and she smiled even as her eyes slid closed. "Mmmm... I like falling asleep this way," she murmured sleepily.

His arms tightened and his lips brushed her ear as he murmured, "Not nearly as much as I do."

"So I noticed."

She couldn't resist wiggling against him and chuckled when he groaned softly in her ear. The slight pressure against the small of her back grew and his arm tightened a little more as he growled, "Tease."

"I know. I'm terrible, aren't I?"

Her hair skimmed to one side and she couldn't hold back her sigh as his lips grazed along the curve of her neck. They were warm and soft, and when he nipped her, she bit down on her bottom lip and arched back into him. Five minutes later, their clothes were lost in the darkness and McKenna was lost in him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

45.7K 2.2K 62
(Very slow-burn romance) Cassandra Pierce led an ordinary life until she encountered an injured Loki in Central Park. A year passes before she sees h...
217K 6.3K 43
Loki x Reader You live with the avengers. One day Thor will take you all to the Asgard. There you'll meet someone who changes your life. But soon aft...
93.1K 4.1K 36
"do you ever regret meeting me?", he asked quietly. "no, why would i?" "because now, our souls are intertwined, you're linked to me." "loki, if i was...
4.1K 98 21
Take a girl with a mysterious past out of the Bronx and thrust her into the world of the Avengers and bring her face to face with her fangirl crush L...