The 'K' Word

By horsesandchocolate

Kristy was just another invisible in NYC. She had never done anything to be noticed, never needed to. And tha... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8 and Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 15

Chapter 14

59 0 0
By horsesandchocolate

Hey fans!!! (do I have fans?!) anyways I hack posted in a million and two tees because of midterms and Iea regionals (horseback fancy talk) an all that random stuff I don want to deal with but I wrote this weeks ago and never posted which was really stupid of me but hey we all have out moments. I'll try not to ramble too much in my authors note now so here u go chapter 14 I bet u guys will have noooooooo idea whats going to happen (even though Im so predictable if hurts). Oh and if u want me to tea any of your peices TELL ME because I always love something to read :) or even better I can give you a shout out in mi authors notes because I live u guys that much :) sorry to ramble again. Without furthur adoo CHAPTER 14

Chapter 14

Messy

The k word

I didnt know where the hell we were going. At this point I didn't care. Whoever the guy with the gun was wasn't letting us go anytime soon and I was getting really really tired. I just wanted to go home curl up and pretend this was all just a dream, a really bad dream but a dream none the less.

I took two hours. It ends up that new York traffic doesn't yield to kidnap victims. We were now somewhere in a secluded part of upstate new York. Somehow I had managed to stay awake the whole ride and not say a word. I dont know if I was just really tired or if I had a sick mind but I was glad I was being kidnapped if it meant seeing annabeth again.

"Stop the car," the man trying to kidnap us suddenly hissed. I noticed how weird it was to hear his voice. Like me he hadn't talked the whole car ride. His voice was sounding like steel wool-skratchy and uncomfortable.

Jude stopped the car and we looked at eachother. We both knew what to say, or more of who to ask for, but it was really a question of who would say it. I seemed to loose this mental argument. I sighed and turned to the kidnapper.

"where's annabeth?" I asked in the most nonchalant way I could muster without peeing myself of fear.

"I ask the questions and u just stay quite. Talk again and I shoot. Got it?" I nodded my head at the mans harsh words before he continued on, "I want you to put you wallets, phones, iPods, anything with value on the front seat and exit the car. Don't give me reason to believe you've left anything behind or I'll just have to search you." I shuddered at the revolting thought of the man touching me then shuddered harder at the thought of him touching Jude. Can someone say PETAFILE?

I emptied my pockets leaving my phone and wallet on the seat. I turned to the man again making up my mind to stand my ground. "where. Is. Annabeth." I stated trying to sound as brave as I could but failing more then Miley cyrus's attempt at pole dancing.

"ha I don't know who you're talking about kid just put the stuff down and hand me the keys," stated the man menacingly.

Jude and I exchanged a look of trepidation before finally surrendering the keys. The man started the car and drove away leaving Jude and I standing alone in deserted countryside with no car and no means of communicating with the outside world.

Thoughts were swimming through my head. The man hadn't appeared to be lying in the slightest when he claimed he didn't know annabeth. And surely he would have kidnapped us also if he thought we knew information on the whereabouts or people involved in Annabeths kidnapping. This seemed like such a petty crime compared to kidnapping at this point. Maybe they were completely unrelated. But why then had this man dropped us all the way out here in the countryside. Why had he felt the need to take our phones and leave us here. For he surely could have taken our valuables and keys and driven the car off back in the city. Stuff like that happened all the time nobody would have stopped him. What was this mans motives. Come to think of it Jude had been pretty weird throughout the whole thing-surprisingly calm...

"kristy...kristy did you hear what I had said?" Jude suddenly asked quickly snapping me out of my deep thought process.

"why were you so calm back there?" I suddenly blurted out, not thinking before I spoke.

"why was I...what?" Jude looked insanely perplexed.

"calm, why were you so calm?" I asked again, deciding not to drop the topic now that I had brought it up.

"oh that, it was really nothing I guess I mean I just didn't want to think about what was happening, and I knew that of I passed out while driving we would all be screwed," he said with a sarcastic chuckle, automatically lightening the mood. Why had I been so paranoid in the first place?

It was slowly getting darker outside. We had walked a fair way before finding a gas station where we were able to rest a little, though we couldn't buy any food or use any change for the pay phone seeing as we were both out of money. We came to the decision to wait for someone to come and ask them for change to use the pay phone. This was much harder than it had first seemed seeing as the station was practically deserted throughout the day.

The up side to hanging out at a gas station (and trust me it was the only upside) was that it gave me lots of time to think. I knew I hadn't recognized the man who had taken the car from Jude and I. He couldn't have been any of the people I had searched throughout the neighborhood. He was entirely too old to be at our school, most likely early to mid forties. He wasn't either of the people I had been looking into for Annabeths kdnapping that was for sure. I had memorized their pictures long ago and knew that this man wasn't even relatively similar even if he had a kick butt face reconstruction done.

I was going over the mental list in my head for so long that I hadn't even noticed Jude had fallen asleep on my shoulder. The only reason I had even noticed was because of his persistant snoring. I decided it might be a good idea to get sone rest also when a set of headlights swooped over Jude and my slumped over figures. Someone had finally, FINALLY, come to the station. They quickly got out of the car, whose windows were so tinted they were an inky black, and approached the front of the store. It was a stocky man. Most likely in his thirties wearing a slightly crumpled business suit and looking rather harassed.

Well it was now or never I needed money and this seemed to Be the only person able to help.

"uh sir...uh hello there SIR!" I yelled at the man who had now just shut of an almost invisible Bluetooth in his ear. He looked around wildly for who was along for him and looked utterly confounded to find that it was I whom had called his name.

"uh yes do I know you?" asked the man quizzically.

"well you don't but my friend and I hear, our car got stollen you see and we can't quite get home so we were wondering if there was any way we could borrow some quarters to uh call my aunt to get home..." I finished off feeling stupid, not quite sure how the man would respond.

"oh well uh sure I guess lemme see if I can...ah here you go," the man mumbled, more to himself then to me, as he pulled out a fat leather wallet and extracted a few quarters from within.

"oh well uh thank you thank you so much," I yelled as the man retreated back to his car, now filling it with gas.

I quickly shook Jude awake and showed him the quarters explaining that the man at the other end of the station had given them to me. Jude looked at the man, suddenly startled then flustered.

"what?" I questioned, astounded by Jude's odd behavior, "do you know that man."

"no no," Jude hastily answered, "it's his car, it's uh, really uh, cool, that's all."

"oh, ok then makes sense," I stated not really believing the words even as I said them. But what did I have to worry about Jude had just woken up, he was probobally just tired, I thought shaking off all thoughts of Jude's behavior.

I quickly took the coins and called my aunt. I tried to make it sound like it wasn't a big deal but my aunt was on the verge of a panic attack none-the-less.

The next hour passed by slowly and by the time the car got there I was drifting in and out of sleep. The second I got home I drifed off into a dreamless sleep in quick to didn't wake from until around 1 afternoon when the incessive ringing of the phone could be ignored no longer. Why wasn't my aunt answering it?! Damn phone.

"hello," I mumbled into the phone.

"hey, uh it's ashley. I need your help." her voice sounded shaky like she had been crying.

I sat up straighter, now fully awake. "yeah Ashley, what going on."

"I...I need you to come pick me up, at the corner of fourteenth and seventh street. Do you know where it is?" she said, sounding scared and forced.

"yeah, yeah I know where it is," I responded slowly. I had known that place for the past year, had avoided it with every ounce of energy I had. The place here it had all started, where one year earlier my best friend left me forever.

"oh and Kris," she said, her voice sounding shakier.

"yes," I responded, slipping my jacket on and grabbing my wallet.

"don't bring Jude."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

166K 4.4K 50
( Major Edits for this book !!!!) Meet Eve and Carly. Two girls that are facing the world together. They both have the same story. Yet, when they try...
3.7K 105 13
Freddie has problems at school. The teachers keep telling him that it is useless, and he begins to believe it. At home, his overprotective mother cau...
1.7K 110 33
COMPLETED!! Hope you enjoy! ------------ He just stared at me with a devilish look on his face. Before you know it, he grabbed my arm and started to...
134K 5.8K 27
Harry is a freshman in university he, by mistake, choose a night class but was too lazy to withdraw it. And after a few days in the class, his eyes f...