Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Stolen Life

Annabeth

Getting off of a school bus is almost as bad as getting on. Its not just the fact that there is a 50% chance that your getting off right in front of the teenage hellhole known as school. Its also the fact that you are getting off of an almost-warm bus into a frigid blast of cold cold cold. No amount of matching glove-scarf-hat sets and fluffy jackets will ever stop the fact of life that cold will always be cold. Too many people seem perfectly okay with the idea of cold. Trust me I am totally not one of them.

Kris was taking about a million and two years to get off the stupid bus but hailing a taxi was taking just as long so I didn’t go over to bug her about it. Every taxi that passed was either being used or just not looking for another costumer. My dark blond hair kept getting stuck in my lip gloss. Like obnoxious much? It’s bad enough that I have K as a constant reminder of what good hair looks like now my stupid not-straight-not-curly hair had to give me another reminder of how terrible it is. I get lots of ‘oh look how beautiful and thick and nice your hair is’ comments. Liars. My hair was more boring then plain tofu, and trust me eating tofu plain is worse then the old reruns my mom forces me to watch. The fact that I had to actually TRY to look good was torturous. I loved Kris but she was way too pretty and being her friend made me have to try super duper hard to look good. And keeping up with all the trends in New York city is hard, trust me. K didn’t try too which was torturous. No makeup, average clothing, etc., etc., and she was still drop dead gorgeous. If she wasn’t my best friend I would probably have hated her. No wonder so many other girls are mean to her, and why so many others suck up to her.

I looked over at the bus to see what was taking K so long. Oh god, the bus driver was holder her up. This might take a while. I waved my hand around again trying to hail another taxi. This time one actually came. Whoop whoop. It pulled over to the curb and I took a step towards it.

“Oh hi, can you just wait one moment, I have a friend coming too, she’ll be here in one-second” I looked over my shoulder expecting the driver to either drive away or make me pay them more. I pulled out my wallet.

“Get in” a mean sounding voice growled from the taxi.

Astonished I looked up only to see the taxi driver pointing a gun straight at me. I gulped and took a step back. The driver’s hand inched closer to the trigger. I tried to scream but nothing came out. I moved a step closer to the taxi trying to get the gun wielding driver to calm down a little. He narrowed his eyes. How was nobody seeing this this was New York City for crying out loud theres a billion people? That is when I noticed that the taxi was not a taxi at all. It was more like a car painted to look like a taxi. Something that on the outside looked normal to people but was truly different when you bothered to look closer. The windows were more tinted then a normal taxi too so the only people able to see the gun would be those who were right in front of the rolled down window, which would be me, and sadly, nobody else.

Thats when I remembered that I had a cell phone and would be able to call for help at the closest time possible. This was New York right? Somebody would have to notice something was wrong? Warily I stepped into the ‘taxi’ the driver put the gun down.

“Good girl” he said and laughed creepily.

I reached for my pocket to send K a text for help when I noticed something terribly wrong. K had my phone I had asked for it but she hadn’t heard me. H god. I was trapped in a strange car held at gunpoint, kidnapped, going to god knows where. Suddenly failing health didn’t seem so bad.