The Red Queen (Editing)

lightning1057 tarafından

The Eldest daughter of Floki the Boatbuilder becomes the best friend of the sons of Ragnar. She goes with the... Daha Fazla

Meet the Characters
Prologue
Invasion
Treachery
Eye for an Eye
Answers in Blood
Unforgiven
Blood Eagle
Boneless
The Lord's Prayer
Act 2
Mercenary
Warrior's Fate
Scarred
The Userper
Born Again
Breaking Point
Act 3
A Good Treason
Kill the Queen
Mercy
Yol
Promised
What Might Have Been
The Profit and the Loss
Portage
The Last Ship
The Outsider
The Vision
Two Journeys
In the Uncertain Hour Before the Morning
All His Angels
Crossings
The Great Army
Revenge
On the Eve
The Reckoning
Act 4
The Departed Pt1
The Departed Pt2
Homeland
The Plan
The Prisoner
The Message
Full Moon
The Joke
A Simple Story
Moments of Vision
The Revelation
Murder Most Foul
A New God
The Lost Moment
Hell
The Buddha
The Most Terrible Thing
Baldur and Yrsa
What Happens in the Cave
Ragnarok
Act 5
New Beginnings
The Prophet
Ghosts, Gods, and Running Dogs
All the Prisoners
The Key
Death and The Serpent
The Ice Maiden
Valhalla Can Wait
Resurrection
The Best Laid Plans
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19

20

1.9K 37 4
lightning1057 tarafından

Ivar had gone to talk to Alfred. After a moment, he looked back to you and waved you over

"We found your son. He has been taken care of, I assure you." Ivar said as you walked past the warriors and to where Alfred stood.

With tears of joy, Alfred grabbed his son and sighed in relief.

"You taught me how to play the game." Ivar said, showing Alfred the chess piece

"You play the game very well, Ivar." Alfred said. "It's been a long time since I've seen either of you. Our fathers died. All 3 of them. We all became royalty. But we still fight as our fathers did. I have a hope that there will be an end to this endless cycle of suffering and war."

"I agree." Ivar says. "So I propose, for your sake, that we end this battle now and we make peace. Exchange hostages. Negotiate in good faith. We live to fight another day. What do you say?"

"I have to reject your offer of peace." Alfred said. "You came here uninvited, unwanted. Your wife kills mine and you kidnap my son. And now you only sue for peace because you fear to lose. You don't really want peace, do you, Ivar the Boneless? You are a byword for terror all over this world. You do not see or feel the pity of ordinary mortals. No. You merely want to respite so you can regroup. Perhaps summon some other Northmen to your aid. Your only desire is to kill and triumph and your wife shares that desire. My god is the god of peace and love, but your gods are savage. They demand sacrifice. For them, human love is unknowable and weak. And you think me weak. And pliable. And cowardly. But alas, for you, you are totally wrong. Your gods have misled you. They believe that death always triumphs over life. But it is not so. Just as winter brings universal death, so spring always brings eternal life. And the sun also rises."

"So, that's a no?" You ask. "I wasn't sure. I thought you had more of a Christian care for your poor warriors. Listen, Alfred. You're outnumbered. The last of Wessex."

"Astrid, I have such a care for my poor warriors that I refuse to submit them to your subterfuge and your tyranny. They live or die for the love of god and for their own land. Why not just leave? Abandon the battle. Save your own people." Alfred said

Nose twitching, you pulled the white flag out of the ground and followed Ivar back to your people that awaited at the tree line.

With that, you moved back into the woods.

-

As the next stage of battle began, catapults were brought out as you all prepared to attack.

You smirked when you looked up to Ivar, seeing him smirking down at you.

"May Odin protect you in battle, my love." Ivar smiles, placing a kiss on your forehead

"I love you." You say

"I love you to. Now, would you like to do the honours?" Ivar grins

"Of course. CATAPULTS!" You roar, watching the men rush to prepare them

"LOOSE!" Ivar roared

The flaming rocks were soon flying through the air to attack the Saxon army

One hit the cross causing you to laugh as you bounced in excitement.

Banging your sword on your shield, you cheered for the bloodshed.

"CHARGE!"

You ran forward with Hvitserk and all your people following you as the catapults were reloaded. The Saxon army also began to run forward.

Shields and swords clashed together again as you collided with he Saxon men, shouting war cries or words of encouragement to your people.

Fire was exploding everywhere as the cannon balls landed in the battlefield. You laughed when you saw a man run past you, screaming that it burned.

Ignoring his pain, you proceeded to slash and stab at your enemies.

Kill after kill, you were growing to tired to carry on and you could see it was the same for Hvitserk.

As men charged as Hvitserk, you moved deeper into the battlefield, slaughtering Christians as you walked by them.

Ivar could see Hvitserk needed help but as he scanned the war, he could not see you. So, he marched into the battle, his guards behind him as they all walked past the fighting men, even if a bone broke on the way.

-

You had just finished slaughtering another man when you saw him. He stood with Hvitserk, the two brothers speaking with tears in their eyes.

You were confused when Hvitserk was pushed away by your husband but Hvitserk didn't leave. He rested on the ground and watched his brother.

Ivar turned and let out a loud and powerful war cry. You stood in the distance, watching in confusion. What was he doing?

"I AM IVAR THE BONELESS! YOU KNOW WHO I AM! YOU KNOW YOU CAN'T KILL ME! NO MATTER HOW HARD YOU TRY! BECAUSE I WILL LIVE FOREVER!"

Your husband let out two more war cries and laughed.
He killed a man that tried attacking him before he continued.

"ARE WE AFRAID OF DEATH?! NO!! WE DO NOT INTEND TO DIE IN OUR BEDS AS OLD MEN, BUT SUP WITH OUR LOVED ONES IN VALHALLA!"

When Ivar turned, he saw a young soldier brandishing a knife. You expected your husband to kill him but instead, after Ivar whispered something to the soldier, Ivar was stabbed.

Stab...
Stab...
Stab...
Stab...

You froze when you saw Ivar's blood. The blood leaking from his mouth as he stood there while the warrior ran away.

"That's impossible." You whispered. "Gods cannot... they can't die."

When Ivar turned, he finally found his love, staring at him in pure fear. Fear of his death. And he smiled at her. Smiled at the memories of her. Smiled because he knew this was the last time he would see her for a very long time.

The sounds of the battle had faded now and it was only you and Ivar in the world. The light was slowly dimming from his eyes. "Little dove..." he smiled

You let out a horrified gasp as tears fell when you saw his bones break and him fall to the ground. Without any hesitation, you ran as fast as you could to reach Ivar.

You slid across the dirty mud, gathering your broken husband into your arms.

"Not today." He whispers

You sobbed as you held him close, whispering of how he was going to be fine. Nothing would happen to him.

Ivar himself began to cry as he groaned in pain. "I'm afraid." He sobbed. "I am afraid."

"I won't tell a soul." You sob quietly. "No one will ever forget you, my love. Not one person. For who could forget Ivar the Boneless?"

Ivar smiles and nods as he grabs your hand with a tight grip. When the light is his eyes goes out and his grip loosens as he stared into your soul, you realized that your love had left you. He was dead and gone as was your heart and soul.

The fighting had stopped, the entire world having gone silent. You heard Hvitserk crying over your quiet sniffles as you held Ivar's dead body in your arms

When you heard Alfred kneel behind you, only then did you speak.

"Just leave me and my husband alone for a moment longer." You whispered

Alfred respected your wishes and stood, backing away as you continued to weep.

-

Knowing you wouldn't let Ivar out of your arms for even a second, Hvitserk had spoken to Alfred and they made a deal. Now, you sat in the back of the carriage, stroking Ivar's braided hair as Hvitserk held a weeping Yrsa.

Beside you lay Ivar's crutch and sword along with the chess piece that Alfred gave Ivar.

Now, Alfred was leading you and your armies to a quiet meadow where Ivar was to be buried.

-

You smile as you look to the grave, rocks stacked atop it. You placed his sword at the head of his grave and a rock beside it.

"Here lies Ivar the Boneless. The greatest Viking to ever live."

"You don't know this, but you have saved my life more times then the number of stars in the night sky. And one day, when we meet in Valhalla, I can thank you. After all, one way or the other, none of us really lived a simple or ordinary life. And who wants to live an ordinary life? Enjoy Valhalla, darling. While it still exists. We can all see the sky darkening. We can all see the Twilight of the Gods. And I trust to be with you in that great defeat. Hail and farewell, my darling Ivar. I will join you soon."

You let out a shaky sigh as you stood and looked to Yrsa. "Goodbye, Papa. I love you." She said

You grabbed her hand and limped out of the clearing until you found King Alfred.

"Queen Astrid-"

"I want to go to Wessex. Only for a few hours. When we raided there to avenge Ragnar, my mother died there. She was buried outside the walls of your kingdom. I would like to visit her."

Alfred thought about this for a moment before nodding.

-

"I see what Father meant now, Mama." You say, sniffling. "You were his heart. Ivar was mine. With him gone, I see nothing but grey and when I sleep, I don't dream. I only see the darkness of my life." You say

"Why did you have to leave me so soon? Why couldn't you be here to guide me? Why be buried under dirt and stone?"

"I'm cold and tired, Mama. I want you back. Please come back." You cry, resting your head on the stone grave.

-

68 YEARS LATER

Baldur Lothbrok

Ubbe Lothbrok

Yrsa Ivarsdottir

"And that, my grandchildren, is how I met your grandfather, Ivar the Boneless."

"Wow. And grandfather was really a god?" Baldur asks

"Yes." You reply with a warm smile

"Mother, come now." Yrsa says. "It is dinner. Come now."

Yrsa helped you stand up, helping you walk inside your home.

As a 93 year old, you needed much help. You had stopped fighting after Ivar's death. Now, Yrsa was Queen of Kattegat with her two children, Baldur. He was named after her brother. And Ubbe, after her Uncle that had disappeared.

Yrsa sat you down and helped you eat.

All of you talk and laughed of the stories.

"Are you really the last one, grandmother?" Ubbe asks

"I am. Bjorn, Ubbe, Sigurd, Hvitserk and Ivar have all passed on. Ragnar, Floki, Rollo, and Harald have gone to. Now it is only me. And when I go, it will be your jobs to carry on Ivar's legacy." You smile

"Now, now, Astrid. Let's not burden my sons, Hmm?" Igor asks as he walks in and places a kiss on Yrsa's head

"I'm just saying, dear." You smile

-

Later that night, you sat in bed, looking around your room. Carvings were everywhere.

The one Floki gave you of him, Helga, Angrboda and yourself. The one of you, Ivar and Yrsa. The one of you, Yrsa, Igor, Ubbe the II and Baldur the II. The one of you, Hvitserk, Ubbe, Sigurd, Ivar and Bjorn.

Ones with Ragnar and Lagertha. Others with Aslaug.

This is how you remember things. With your carvings.

You smiled when you saw Ivar's sword, crutch and chess piece, the wooden sword Ragnar gave you and Ubbe.

But when you went to sleep that night, you saw him.

Ivar stood at the edge of your bed with a smile as he inspected the room. "I see you've been busy, darling."

"Is it time?" You ask

"Yes. It's finally your time."

Ivar held his hand out for you to take. Nervously, you grabbed his hand and let him lead you outside to the fjord.

There, he helped you take off your gown and led you into the cold water.

-

You jolted with a gasp, hearing loud music in the distance. You stood in a field and could see a large door at the other end.

Looking at your reflection in the pond beside you, you realized that you were no longer old. Your hair was not white and your skin was not wrinkled.

Your hair was black again and you wore red face paint. Your skin was as smooth as the water was still.

Walking toward the door, you heard familiar voice and laughter.

"No, Astrid threw a fit because you decided it would be funny to put mice on her bed!"

Ubbe...

"It was a funny joke!"

Hvitserk....

Running, you opened the door and were met with a fabulous sight.

Ivar, Ubbe, Hvitserk, Sigurd, Torvi, Floki, Lagertha, Ragnar, Aslaug, Bjorn, Rollo, Astrid, Harald, Halfdan, Hali, Asa, Angrboda, Helga, Tanaruz, Revna, Baldur...

They were all there

They looked up and all froze with shocked faces

"ASTRID!"

You were wrapped in their arms as you cried, finally remembering the feeling of home.

You first went to Ivar, throwing your arms around him and holding him with a tight grip.

"It's alright, darling. You're alright. You're home." Ivar promises, rubbing your back as you cried

You soon turned to Helga and threw your arms around her as well, both of you laughing happily.
"My beautiful daughter. Oh, my darling."

As you continued to reunite with your lost loved ones, Yrsa was planning your funeral.
-

"Farewell, Astrid the Heartless. Killer of men. May the gods welcome you into the halls of the Aesir with open arms. May your reunion with your family and friends be as joyous as the time you will spend in Valhalla. May you fight and conquer your enemies once more as you did when you were young." Yrsa says, sitting down beside you.

"I do not know how I will go on, knowing that I have to live without your guidance. Without your help to lead the people of Kattegat. But I know better then anyone that you will be with Ivar once more and you will be happy. I know you will take care of my father and my brother and I know that I will one day enter Valhalla and walk into your open arms and you will bask in the stories of my triumphs."

Yrsa smiled as she let go of your cold hand and stood up to sit beside her children again.

"Well, my friend..." Igor says as he sat down. "Here we are. You know, I thought that out of us all, you would be the one to live the longest. After all, you always had been stubborn that way. You and Ivar taught me many things. You freed me from Oleg. You taught me how to be a man. Because of you, I am happy. I have become a part of the family." Igor says as he let a tear fall. "You had always been like a mother to me, congratulating me and saving me from my mistakes. You have guided me as you have guided Yrsa and I am thankful for that. So, one day, when we see each other again, I will thank you. I will hug you and thank you for everything you have done for me."

With that, Igor placed a kiss on your cold forehead and sat beside his wife with a frown as his sons stepped forward.

"Goodbye grandmother." Baldur says as he placed a carving of himself to the right of you while a crying Ubbe placed a carving of himself to the left of you.

"We love you, Grandmother." Ubbe sobbed before he rushed back to his mother while Baldur slowly trudged back to Igor.

-

As the boat was pushed out into the water, it roared into flames.

Yrsa smiled when she looked up to the mountains and saw a group of horses. There sat her mother and her father, side by side as they always have been.

To Astrid's left was Helga, Lagertha and Aslaug, Astrid and to Ivar's right was Floki, Ragnar, Bjorn, Ubbe, Hvitserk and Sigurd.

"Mother, who are they?" Baldur asks, looking to the mountain as well

"So you are like me, my son. You can see the dead. The man in the carriage is Ivar the Boneless, your grandfather. The woman beside him is Astrid the Heartless, your grandmother. Beside grandmother is Helga, your great grandmother, and Lagertha Ingstad and Aslaug and Astrid. Beside Grandfather is your great Grandfather Ragnar Lothbrok, your great grandfather Floki, your uncles Bjorn, Ubbe, Hvitserk and Sigurd." Yrsa explains, pointing to them all

"Why are they here?" Baldur asks

"This is how they say goodbye. We will not see them until we ourselves go to Valhalla." Yrsa says

-

You grin, looking to your husband as the wind blew high up in the mountains.

"So you get a grand funeral while I get buried into the ground." Ivar scoffs with a chuckle

"That's because I'm more important." You smirked

Ivar looked to you with raised eyebrows as a grin formed on his face.

"Time to run." Ubbe laughed

You quickly began to ride off, Ivar and his brothers chasing after you while Floki, Helga, Aslaug, Ragnar, Astrid and Lagertha watched, laughing.

"Ride faster, little Ivar!" Sigurd said, both you and Sigurd picking up the pace to keep ahead of the other sons of Ragnar.

"We're coming for you!" Bjorn teased from behind you

"Yah!" Ubbe said, his own horse picking up speed

"HURRY NOW, LITTLE DOVE!" Ivar laughs

"YOU CAN'T CATCH US!" You shout, all of you laughing

Yrsa laughs as she watches them all play around and can't wait until she joins them. As she watched her mother smile for the first time in so many years, she smiled as well.

By now, the people of Kattegat were crying as the boat had nearly finished burning but Astrid looked down to Yrsa and smiled warmly.

Yrsa let her own tear fall as she watched her Uncles and grandparents ride off while Astrid remained at the mountain with Ivar.

"My beautiful Yrsa... all will be well soon." Yrsa heard Astrid promise.

"Soon, my darling." Ivar says

"I wish for her to join us." You say, looking to Ivar.

"She will, as will our grandchildren." Ivar smiled

"Mother! Father!" You heard Baldur call as he and Angrboda rode toward you both

"Yes, darling?" You ask

"It's time." Angrboda panted

"Well then, let's fight, shall we?" Ivar asks, riding up the mountain

"Let's go protect Valhalla." You grin

For now, you knew that if you and Ivar were to die, that the very next morning, you would be reunited again. No more waiting for half a century.

You looked back down to Kattegat a final time before riding after your husband, your son and sister following

The Twilight of the Gods has begun. And this would be the war of a lifetime and a half.

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

9.9K 444 17
BOOK 2 Rán will do anything to go back and fix what she broke, the only problem? She has no idea how to get back. (UNEDITED)
19.6K 308 29
Freya Ironside grows up in the family of Ragnar Lothbrok. Her father is Bjorn Ironside and from an early age he keeps her hidden and protects her and...
31.4K 1.1K 24
she wanted to make her own fate. the gods laughed, how would a mortal change what's already set in stone? vikings season 4B - 6B oc x ivar (slow bur...
35.7K 1.1K 45
❝ SHE HAS THE MINDSET OF A QUEEN AND THE HEART OF A WARRIOR SHE IS EVERYTHING ALL AT ONCE AND TOO MUCH FOR ANYONE WHO DOESN'T DESERVE HER ❞ - RH - A...