The Red Queen (Editing)

By lightning1057

The Eldest daughter of Floki the Boatbuilder becomes the best friend of the sons of Ragnar. She goes with the... More

Meet the Characters
Prologue
Invasion
Treachery
Eye for an Eye
Answers in Blood
Unforgiven
Blood Eagle
Boneless
The Lord's Prayer
Act 2
Mercenary
Warrior's Fate
Scarred
The Userper
Born Again
Breaking Point
Act 3
A Good Treason
Kill the Queen
Mercy
Yol
Promised
What Might Have Been
The Profit and the Loss
Portage
The Last Ship
The Outsider
The Vision
Two Journeys
In the Uncertain Hour Before the Morning
All His Angels
Crossings
The Great Army
Revenge
On the Eve
The Reckoning
Act 4
The Departed Pt1
The Departed Pt2
Homeland
The Plan
The Prisoner
Full Moon
The Joke
A Simple Story
Moments of Vision
The Revelation
Murder Most Foul
A New God
The Lost Moment
Hell
The Buddha
The Most Terrible Thing
Baldur and Yrsa
What Happens in the Cave
Ragnarok
Act 5
New Beginnings
The Prophet
Ghosts, Gods, and Running Dogs
All the Prisoners
The Key
Death and The Serpent
The Ice Maiden
Valhalla Can Wait
Resurrection
The Best Laid Plans
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20

The Message

1.5K 29 0
By lightning1057

You had finally arrived at King Harald's kingdom after a few weeks at sea.

You had been escorted into the palace where you came face to face with Harald and Astrid, Lagertha's lover. You were surprised to see her sitting on a throne beside Harald but you said nothing.

"Ivar and Hvitserk Lothbrok. Astrid Vilgerðarson. Why did you not return to Kattegat?" Harald asked

"You don't need the Seer to know that Ubbe and I fell out. We disagreed about many things. But in the end, Hvitserk and Astrid agreed with me and Ubbe sailed alone to Kattegat and that is why we're here." Ivar explained

"A good choice. A good choice." Harald nodded. "Surely, you all remember Astrid? My Astrid, I mean. She is my Queen now."

"Astrid." The woman smiled as she stood and walked toward you, giving you a hug, surprisingly.

"Hello, Astrid." You chuckled, earning a chuckle in response from the woman. You both found that you two having the same name was amusing and it truly was to you.

"We are happy for the both of you." You said, glancing at a shocked Ivar. He clearly had not expected this.

"Oh thank you, darling." Astrid smiled as she walked back to her throne, guiding you to stand beside her.

"So, do I understand that you and your warriors will support me when I attack Kattegat?" Harald asked

"Straight to it. I like it." Ivar chuckled. "Yes, we will."

"But only if Ivar is made King." Hvitserk spoke up, everyone now looking to him.

"You know that I have my own plans for that Kingdom." Harald said

"Of course. Of course." Ivar nodded. "And that is why we are here and what I think my dear brother is trying to say is that, in the long term, what is to stop you from ruling Kattegat when I am dead and gone? How long can that be? I'm not a healthy person. I'm just a cripple, after all." He said

"But your brother Hvitserk?" Harald asked

"All that matters to all of us is to reclaim the the Kingdom that was torn from us by that murderous bitch, Lagertha Ingstad." Ivar said

"We want to be in an alliance with you, King Harald. To make that happen." You spoke up, the King now looking to you. "And soon, we hope."

"You have a prisoner." Harald said. "I have heard of this man. Where is he?"

"Bring the Christian!" Ivar ordered. "Come, my love." Ivar told you.

Astrid let your hand go and allowed you to move toward Ivar who quickly wrapped his arm around your waist like always.

Heahmend was dragged in, breathing heavily.

"On his knees." You said

Your men forced him to his knees while Ivar smirked. "Bishop Heahmend."

"What is the point of him?" Harald asked. "Why don't you just kill him?"

"Because he is a great warrior." Ivar said. "We've seen how he fights with our own eyes. And I admire great warriors."

"He will fight for us?" Harald asked

"Maybe." You chuckled. "If he doesn't want to get crucified."

With that, you, Ivar and Harald began to laugh.

"The Lord rules me. I shall want for nothing-"

Ivar yanked the Bishop's head back by his hair, quieting the strange words as the laughter stopped.

"No, no. Let him continue." Harald said

Ivar, reluctantly, let Heahmend go with a scoff.

"And he has set me in a place of good pasture. And fed me by the water's shore. He led me over the ways of righteousness for his name. Yet I now go in the midst of the shadow of death. I fear no evil, for you are worth me, Lord. Your rod and your staff have comforted me."

"What does he say?" Harald asked once he had finished

"He's praying to his false god." Ivar laughed, secretly very angry.

"What good that was to him." Harald said, the people in the room laughing.

-

You watched from afar as Ivar slowly walked away from King Harald and smiled. "My love."

Ivar smiled upon hearing your voice and saw you standing in the doorway of the home you were staying in. He slowly made his way to you, smiled glued to his face.

Once he reached you, he placed a long kiss on your lips, like he always did.

"Is everything alright? Why were you with Harald?"

"Everything is fine, little dove. Now, why don't you lay down? I will join you in a moment."

-

"Will he fight with us?" Hvitserk asked

You all sat outside as you ate, Ivar sitting on the ground between your legs as you braided his hair. Even though he hated doing this in public, he could never say no to you.

"I really have no idea." Ivar replied

"You didn't discuss with me to arrangement you made with King Harald." Hvitserk said

"What arrangement?" Ivar asked

"That you would be King, but that afterwards, the crown would pass down to him first, and not to me."

"That is because, Hvitserk, it is not really an arrangement. It is just words, hm?" Ivar said as he offered his brother a drink. "Who is to say that he will not try to kill me? Or that I might try to kill him? Or that you might try to kill the both of us, for that matter?"

"Then why even pretend there is an arrangement?" Hvitserk asks

"It suits everyone." Ivar said. "For the moment. But then again, everything can also change in a moment. Right?"

"I don't know, Ivar. I wish I could believe you. I wish I knew who you really were." Hvitserk said

"You know who I really am, Hvitserk. I'm your cripple brother! You used to pull me on a sled through the streets of Kattegat. Remember? Nothing has really changed except those were only childish games."

"What is it that you really want, Ivar?" Hvitserk asked

"I want to be the most famous man who ever lived, just as I want Astrid to be to most famous woman who ever lived." Ivar said, smiling up at you

"Even greater then father?" Hvitserk asked

"Much greater then father." Ivar agreed. "In time, the name of Ragnar Lothbrok will fade and be forgotten. But no one will ever forget Ivar the Boneless or Astrid the Heartless."

-

That night, you all sat in the palace, feasting.

"To the overthrow of the witch, Lagertha, and to the liberation of Kattegat!" A drunk Hvitserk shouted, the crowd cheering.

"So, when do we attack?" You asked, looking to King Harald and Queen Astrid.

"I will summon my Jarls. But my ships still need to be repaired and made ready, as do yours." Harald said. "But when all this is done, we should have a fleet of at least 70 ships."

"There's a full moon tonight. Let us say that we will attack in two moon's time." You said

"I agree, Astrid Flokisdottir." Harald nodded

"Skol." You said

"Skol." Harald repeated, your glasses clinking together

"It will be strange for you to return to Kattegat as Queen." Harald told his wife. This caught the attention of you and your lover.

Astrid and Harald's cups clinked together as well while you leaned on Ivar.

"And here's to our sacred agreement! Which if any man breaks, he will deserve to die!" Harald said, looking down at Ivar. You glared at the man for threatening your future husband as the crowd was silent.

"Skol!"

The crowd cheered as everyone began to sing. Ivar, you and Hvitserk all remained silent.

-

You watched while laughing as the crowd shouted insults at Heahmend. When he pulled on his chains, he was shoved to the ground, causing you to laugh again as you continued to eat.

The shivering man slowly moved to rest on his knees. He looked up to you and your lover before he stood while Ivar smirked and you glared.

He faced the roaring crowd before he started toward you.

"SHUT IT!" You shouted, the crowd quieting down.

"Now we decide whether you'll fight with us or whether I kill you." Ivar said, spinning the knife in his hands.

Ivar pointed the knife to Heahmund's gut as you smirked, listening to Ivar's words.

"Nothing is keeping you alive but me."

"Why don't you give me the knife?" Heahmend dared to ask, your nose scrunching in anger as you glared at him.

Ivar smirked, allowing Heahmend to take the knife from him. Heahmend walked back into the crowd, pouting the sword at his gut, the crowd shouting insults at him again.

"TANARUZ, NO!"

Flashbacks of that day had been triggered by the sight of Heahmend pointing the knife at himself, causing you to frown.

All of a sudden, Heahmend used the knife to kill the man shouting in his face.

The crowd had gone silent, only able to hear your loud laughs while Ivar stared in wonder and amazement. Ivar soon began to laugh as well as he clapped.

"I THINK HE WILL FIGHT WITH US!!" Ivar roared, the crowd cheering and chanting the Bishop's name.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10K 455 17
BOOK 2 Rán will do anything to go back and fix what she broke, the only problem? She has no idea how to get back. (UNEDITED)
20.2K 318 29
Freya Ironside grows up in the family of Ragnar Lothbrok. Her father is Bjorn Ironside and from an early age he keeps her hidden and protects her and...
461 9 1
After arriving in Kattegat, you learn some things about your new life that you weren't' expecting. During this time, you become unlikely friends with...
166K 5.1K 26
"Tell me, when will I meet the great love of my life? I am so angry and full of hate, so much so that Ubbe and Sigurd say, that no woman will love me...