Forever Ruined

By Ruechari

Benjamin McAllister is the Queen's Man working in secret for King and Crown. It riddled his past with intrigu... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter - Twenty four
Chapter Twenty-five
Chapter Twenty- Six
Chapter Twenty- Seven
Chapter Twenty-eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty -Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-one
Chapter Forty-two
Chapter Forty-three
Chapter Forty-four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-eight
Chapter Forty-nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-four
Chapter Fifty-five
Chapter Fifty-six
Chapter Fifty-seven
Chapter Fifty-eight
Chapter Fifty-nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-two
Chapter Sixty-three
Chapter 64
Chapter Sixty-five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-Seven
Chapter Sixty-eight
Chapter Sixty-nine
Chapter Seventy-one
Epilogue

Chapter Seventy

862 110 29
By Ruechari

The carriage drew up to a war machine refitted all in black. Mr. Banks followed his savior up the plank to discover a rather rough-looking crew, all heavily armed.

Feeling nervous about the glares coming his way, Mr. Banks picked up his step. "Uh, what did you say your name was?"

The man in the mask looked back at Mr. Banks with a lopsided grin. "I'm the Captain, of this vessel. That should suffice for now."

Mr. Banks noticed two rather ominous-looking men taking up position behind them. "You said you were a friend. So, what's with the added guards?"

"What I said, Mr. Banks is that I'm a friend of a friend. What happens next is totally up to you."

Mr. Banks gave the man a strange look as he opened the door to his cabin and waved him in.

"As requested," the Captain said upon entering the room. "Go easy on him. He looks like he's had a hard day."

Mr. Banks' eyes nearly bugged out of his head when a woman turned from the window and it was none other than Lady Bentley.

"Good day, Mr. Banks! Glad you can make it. Have a seat. We need to have a little chat."

"I'll not be ordered around by the likes of you," Mr. Banks said, straightening his back and drawing up to his fullest height.

But a heavy hand pressed him into a chair that suddenly appeared behind him. "I'd do as the Lady says, mate. My crew has become quite attached to the little lady and I doubt you would get from here to the plank without several bullet holes in you and perhaps one or two blades."

Captain McCullen sat on the corner of his desk.

"I know what you want, but I won't give him up not until I'm free of this country," Mr. Banks declared.

"I already know you've ordered him to be executed by noon. So, what good is your word to me?"

Banks looked nervous. "I would never kill one of the Queen's personal guards. I'd have no place to hide if I did. I was bluffing."

"That's something I expected you would have learned by now, Mr. Banks. You are a terrible liar but tell my friend here where you are holding Mr. McAllister and I'll have him check out the details. If they prove correct, Captain McCullen has agreed to get you out of the country. Lie to me and you leave me with no other choice but to dispatch you myself."

Mr. Banks sneered. "You would never kill me. You wouldn't want my blood on your hands."

Clara came up and sat next to Captain McCullen. She folded her arms over her chest and leaned in. "Do you really believe I've been with Mr. McAllister this long and my hands have remained clean? You saw what I did to your messenger boy at Whites. I assure you, as dainty and as lady-like as I may appear, yours wouldn't be the first life I've taken."

Mr. Banks paled.

"And if Benjamin dies, I will enjoy making that death slow and painful."

Captain McCullen turned and grinned at Clara. "You know you'd make an excellent pirate if you ever decided to give it a go."

Clara grinned back.

"Truth is, she doesn't have to get her hands dirty. I'd happily dispatch you for her. You see, she's my one and only and the man you have taken is my best friend of all time. And you are standing in the way of their happily ever after and I mean for her to get it."

"Aww," Clara said, "Benji is right, you are a poet."

"No love, I'm all pirate." Captain McCullen took off his mask and Mr. Banks shuddered in fear at his words. There wasn't a man alive who didn't know McCullen's reputation.

"You're...?"

"Captain McCullen of the Black Star. So, what is your answer, Mr. Banks? I'm to understand Lady Bentley is not a very patient woman."

"I tell you where Mr. McAllister is and you'll give me my freedom?"

Clara corrected, "You tell me where Mr. McAllister is and I will send men to fetch him. And if he is still living, then you may live too."

Mr. Banks swallowed hard, but he knew he had no other choice. "He's being held in the slums of Whitechapel."

Clara's heart filled with fear. Whitechapel is overcrowded and littered with crime. The working and living conditions in that area were horrendous. No one from the outer boroughs would dare travel there. Especially at night, as the streets were dimly lit to hide the heinous crimes carried out there. Clara was distraught. They've had Benjamin captive there for days.

McCullen let out a whistle and the two men that traveled behind them came into the room.

"The exact address if you please, Mr. Banks?" Clara demanded.

"He's being held in a broken-down hovel on Lindley." Mr. Banks gave them the exact address.

"Boys, you are to take our new guest here down to the hold and keep a watch. Something tells me this one is as slippery as an eel."

The two men pulled Mr. Banks roughly from his chair.

"I have your word I will have my freedom upon Benjamin's return?" Mr. Banks yelled as the men dragged him to the door.

"I will set you free, Mr. Banks, but how and where I will leave up to the Captain. Right now, you best pray that my beloved is alive and well."

Captain McCullen waved for the men to take Mr. Banks away, and Clara could hear him yelling as they took him to the hold. 

"You promised me my freedom! Do you plan to maroon me? This wasn't the deal! Clara? Clara!"

Captain McCullen stood. "Right then, I am off to retrieve Benji. Anything you would like me to tell him when I find him?"

"Nothing I can't tell him myself."

"You expect me to let you go into Whitechapel?" McCullen shook his head. "No, it can't be done."

Clara stood up to face James. "And who is going to stop me?"

Captain McCullen grabbed hold of Clara and pulled her close to him. Before she could react, James kissed her passionately. As expected, her hand flew up to slap him. This time, Captain McCullen was ready for the strike and grabbed her wrist. That is when Clara felt it, the shackle he placed around it.

"James, no! Please don't do this. I have to get him. I must save him."

"You already have, in more ways than you are even aware." James pulled her to the bed and shackled the other end to his bedpost. 

"I'm sorry Clara, but this time you can't go. As much as I love that fighter's spirit. I can't have you distracting me from doing what needs to be done to save Benjamin, and I care too much for you not to be distracted. I meant what I said. I will return with Benjamin. I will give you your happily ever after."

Tears streamed down Clara's face. "Why the kiss?"

James grinned as he donned his mask again. "Nothing is a guarantee, Clara, and if I don't make it back... well. Pirate," he said, pointing to himself. "There is no redemption for me, so you'll have to forgive me for stealing that last bit of happiness for myself."

Clara sat on the bed, knowing she was defeated. McCullen stationed two different men to guard the door. She had no choice but to sit and wait.

__________

McCullen took a few of his best fighters with him into Whitechapel. He hoped and prayed that Banks was correct and Benjamin was behind the door; he was about to kick in.

A gunshot rang out from inside. A hole pierced the door, narrowly missing Captain McCullen but unfortunately clipping one of his men.

Captain McCullen let out a battle cry and kicked the door in. The occupants inside were in the middle of a struggle. It was Benjamin, and he was wrestling a rather large man for the gun. Another wild shot wrung out and hit the ceiling, causing some of the plaster to fall.

Captain McCullen came up behind the brute and pinned the man's arms behind his head. Benjamin landed two swift blows to the stomach, knocking the wind from his captor's lungs. His hold on the gun loosened, and Captain McCullen disarmed him. He let the man go, and he doubled over onto the floor.

Benjamin kicked the man in the head, knocking him out cold. Benjamin lost his balance, stumbled, and fell backward onto the floor. Captain McCullen gave the order to his men, and they helped Benjamin to his feet. As they lead Benjamin out of the room, Benjamin heard the killing blow come from McCullen's pistol.

"How did you find me?" Benjamin asked as McCullen joined him in the hall.

"Your wife is a very persuasive woman," Mc Cullen said with a smirk.

"Clara?"

"She's safe, Benjamin and I am going to take you to her."

Benjamin tried to take a step, but his leg buckled under him and fell to his knees.

"What is it? What's wrong?"

Benjamin lifted his pant leg to reveal a festering wound on his right calf.

"Bloody hell! We need to get you to a surgeon."

"No, I must see, Clara."

"I don't see where you are in the position to argue, Benji."

"Call it the last request of a dying man."

McCullen ground his teeth, clenching his jaw. Benjamin's words cut him deep. McCullen helped Benjamin to his feet again. He looked at his men. "I'm taking Mr. McAllister back to our ship. Any opposition, I'm counting on you to handle it."

There was opposition waiting for them as they entered the street, but McCullen's men raced into the fray. McCullen placed Benjamin in the waiting carriage and took off down the street, heading back to the docks.

Benjamin shivered with fever. Sweat poured down his face and back, but he had to hold on. He had to see Clara one more time. He had to have her forgiveness before he left this world. Although he knew he did not deserve redemption, for he was forever ruined.

Clara was going out of her mind with worry. Sturgis got the men to agree to let her loose, stating he would take charge of her.

"What if it's all a ruse? What if Benjamin is already dead? Oh, Sturgis, I cannot bear the thought..."

Sturgis held her close as she cried in his arms. He wished there was more that he could do. He sent word to Redgrave's men about Benjamin's whereabouts but Sturgis knew Captain McCullen and his men would reach him first.

Then they heard a commotion on the ship coming from above them.

Clara ran for the door. Sturgis was close on her heels as she ran past the men to the top deck. There was McCullen carrying Benjamin across the deck.

"Benjamin!" Clara screamed in anguish as McCullen dropped to his knees. Clara fell over Benjamin's lifeless body.

"NO!" she screamed as she held him and cried, but she felt his breath on her cheek as she held him close.

"Benjamin?" Clara stroked his cheek.

"What happened?" Clara demanded to know.

"He has a festering wound. The injury must have been inflicted days ago and never treated."

"Benjamin, please? Please wake up?" Clara begged.

Sturgis examined the wound. "We have the best surgeon on board the Whispering Wind. We have to get Mr. McAllister to him. Don't give up Clara, not yet."

"Get Lord Fitton. Please, Sturgis, he's studied with the Masters if there is anything that can be done..."

Sturgis took command. They transported Benjamin to Whispering Wind, and he took it upon himself to fetch Lord Fitton.

"You trust this man?" James asked as his men took Benjamin onboard the Whispering Wind.

Clara showed James the scar from her gunshot wound. "With my life."

Redgrave joined them above deck. "He needs a surgeon," Clara explained. Redgrave nodded and lead McCullen's men to the medical bay. "Keep her up here," Redgrave instructed Captain McCullen, and McCullen nodded.

It was over an hour before Sturgis was back with Lord Fitton. Clara had worn out the deck with worry. Both men did not stop to talk to her and immediately went below deck.

"I have to go to him." But the Captain again held Clara in check. "There is nothing you can do. Let them work, Clara. Let them do their job."

"It is killing me, James. I'm slowly dying. Do you understand what I'm saying to you?"

McCullen embraced her. He wished there was more he could do. It can't end like this. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.9K 1.6K 11
(COMPLETED) Before the Duke of Wardington, before marriage, and before the games of marrying off his three sons and their friends, there was simply L...
13.8K 219 7
I'm not good with descriptions so just read the story. Thank you.
96.9K 7.4K 29
A princess on the run, Briar Aldrich has no choice but to take on the role of scullery maid when Lord Sterling Huntington stumbles upon her in the wo...
126K 7K 51
Set in 1825, in London, during the regency era. Joan Winset, our heroine, is considered the town's nosiest woman. Her gossips are so popular that...