The Hockey Girl

By JaydeHyatt

Alara Kinkaid is a sixteen year old, year eleven student at Condor High. This girl is all about ice hockey. I... More

The Hockey Girl (Prologue)
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11

Chapter 6

7.2K 131 18
By JaydeHyatt

“Well if you can’t beat ‘em, beat ‘em. That seems to be the message the Seaford Highlanders are sending to the Condor Wolves. This is nasty. Oh and Alara Kinkaid just took a vicious check into the boards. She’s down and she’s not getting up.”

I moaned as I lay face down on the ice, that hit bloody hurt. I glared at the kid I had previously named Asshat One. We were currently in the third period and my team was dominating the score board seven to two which naturally hadn’t pleased Asshat One, nor his team.

I stood slowly just as Vasic skated over to me. “You okay, Kinkaid? Those guys have been laying into you all game.” His voice seeped concern and I couldn’t help but resent it a little.

I shrugged it off. My dad had always played by the rule, ‘you take the hit, you get up and you keep digging’ and I was no different.

“I’ll live, I just want to knock them all on their asses.” The Seaford team was made mostly of enforcers and they hit like a ton of bricks.

Vasic grinned, “That’s my girl.” He praised, hitting his stick to my helmet and skating off to centre ice.

“And the Highlanders lose the puck at centre ice. The Wolves with it. Here’s the Wolves captain, Tai Russo with it. He’s across the blue line with a great move. Walks right down the front. He shoots, he scores!”

The crowd cheered in celebration for Tai’s unassisted goal and I skated to him to congratulate him.

“Nice going captain,’ I commended as he knocked his helmeted head to my own just as a time out was called by the opposing coach.

Vasic, Tai, Xavier, Elias, Alexei, our current goalie, Kaleb and I skated over to the bench. Riaz and Riordan grinned up at me from their seats. They knew I was frustrated with the pair who had received two minutes in the penalty box for interference not too long ago. They’d purposely and without even the bare effort of concealment gone after a guy who had body slammed me into the glass, hard.

“Alright kids, I know you’re tired and I know you’re hurting. We’ve won this thing, no doubt but I want one more out of you. We have two minutes left on the clock. More than enough time.” Coach Riviere scoped out his options, assessing before deciding and nodding, “Alright, I want Riaz, Riordan, Vasic, Drew, Lucas as goalie and Alara skating. Alara, kid, we have two minutes left on the clock and I want you to really go for it. You’re a team player all the way and right now, I want you to stick it to these arses yourself. That shot of yours, think you can pull it off?”

I nodded, no doubt. With Riaz, Riordan and Vasic as enforcers, my ass was as good as safe. Lucas had a quick glove in case of a mistake made on my part and Drew rarely missed a shot in the instance of an assist.

“Alright, show it to me, Alara.”

“Nearing the end of the game, the Highlanders with it out at centre ice. Oh and the puck is intercepted by Alara Kinkaid. Kinkaid across the blue line and she’s stick-handling in the Highlander zone. Kinkaid still with it, moves around a pile caused by Wolves enforcer Riaz Night and gives it over to Drew Bennett.”

“Bennett on a breakaway in the end zone, with a minute left on the clock.”

I watched in horror as Drew saw he was about to be crushed by an opposing player. He quickly iced the puck before he took a heavy check into the ice.

I skated hard over to the puck which lay motionless in the corner of the rink, focussing solely on acquiring possession of that puck. I wanted that last goal.

“Kinkaid is desperately trying to retrieve the puck from the corner. Here comes number 57 of the Highlanders, captain Dave Volumes, he’s skating hard over to Kinkaid, on a direct war path and she is yet to notice! This could end badly folks.”

I took a quick and deep breath as I finally dislodged the puck from the corner and turned to face a face of extreme anger skating directly toward me – on a collision path. Instead of making a move to skate around him, I skated directly toward Asshat One – acting as if I was yet to notice his hulk of a body pounding the ice to get to me.

“It appears Kinkaid is yet to notice Volumes, oh but wait, she ducks low just as Volumes is on her! And he goes flying over Kinkaid’s ducked form in a very nice move by the Wolves’ shooter! Oh and down goes number 54 to the mass of Riordan Night, a large Wolves enforcer.”

“Kinkaid back behind the net, ducks under another check. Moves around it. It’s a wraparound. Score! Alara Kinkaid for the Wolves just as the buzzer sounds, ending the game nine to two in the Wolves favour.”

I grinned slightly, okay I grinned broadly as I took my helmet off. Not exactly my shot but hey, it was a goal nonetheless.

My smile only broadened when I was encompassed in a triumphant hug by Riaz and I frowned slightly when Riordan joined in on the hug. I could no longer breathe.

“Let her go, Baboons.” Drew reprimanded our two best enforcers and they dropped me quickly, allowing me to breathe once more. Sweet relief.

“Nice shot Kinkaid, not your signature move but a nice shot nevertheless.” Drew praised and I grinned, even allowing the kid to ruffle my hair – which was in its messy post-game state.

“You took a big hit Bennett, you alright?” My voice leaked concern.

He chuckled, “I took twenty less hits than you this game, are you alright?”

I shrugged. “Let’s just say that the treadmill tomorrow is going to kill, not to mention tonight’s ice bath.” I physically shuddered at the thought.

“I feel your pain.”

I glanced around then, taking in the cheering crowd and my team skating toward me.

We all embraced and cheered – our post-game win ritual.

“Nice work Alara, you played brilliantly.” Nate commended. He hadn’t played in the last period but he’d scored two in the first – one of which was unassisted.

I grinned and shouldered him lightly, “Nice work yourself. C’mon, let’s go shake their hands.”

Nate grimaced at that suggested, as did my team.

“Their captain is that idiot who mistreated you the other day. I am not shaking his hand.” Alexei complained as he shook his handsome yet sweat covered head.

I shot him a look. “I realise that, but the rest of his team didn’t act that way and they played well.”

Someone coughed, calling my bullshit for what it was.

“Okay, so they all purposely gunned for me and they’re a team of thugs but, we’re better than that and we will shake their hands – a little too strongly.”

The team chuckled at that but still made no move.

I sighed, “Back me up here Tai. We’re a team with respect and values and I know your mothers raised all of you correctly, so be gentlemen and shake the hands of the team we just thrashed.”

The reminder of the thrashing seemed to lighten the mood, that and Tai’s begrudging agreement to my argument.

Vasic threw his thickly muscled arm over my shoulders as the team skated over to the Seaford Highlanders’ bench, squeezing my shoulder as I extended my hand out to Asshat One or – as his parents had named him – Dave Volumes.

He simply looked down at my hand snidely and didn’t bother to extend his own.

Vasic removed his arm from its position across my shoulders and extended his hand toward Volumes. “Nice game mate, you’re a great player.”

Volumes glared at the words but accepted Vasic’s outstretched hand into his own. Sexist ass.

“I know I am, my team let me down this game.” Volumes replied and I forced myself to choke back a scoff. Idiotic fool.

I watched, slightly amused, as Vasic’s muscles bulged as he squeezed Volume’s hand too hard.

“Okay mate, here’s the thing, you’re a fool. This girl could skate rings around you. Yes, she’s a girl and she’s a bloody better player than you by far. Accept it. Deal with it. You aren’t everything you think you are. You are sexist and need to realise that you are not God’s gift to the world. I’d tell you to shake her hand but you’re beneath that. Get over yourself. Get the picture?” Vas questioned and I enclosed a warning hand over his bicep. Didn’t want him breaking any of the Asshat’s fingers, or did I?

No. I didn’t. That’d be bad for Vas.

“C’mon Vas, not worth it. Let’s shake the other one’s hands.”

Vas let go slowly and Volumes cradled his reddened hand to his chest, glaring at Vasic with a newfound piercing hatred.

 ________

          “So how many of them shook your hand?” Adam asked as we all sat in booths at BOOST. It was a team tradition to head to BOOST after a game, first having warmed down appropriately of course. We’d then head to my place and the guys would all crash there. My parents usually spent those nights at my Uncle’s and tonight dad would be with Uncle Ian.

I shrugged, but couldn’t hold back the frown, “Two.”

Lucas’ frown matched my own, “Better than the mere one you got last time.”

“It’ll get better Alara,” Kaleb encouraged.

“Don’t let it bother you.” Tai said, “They’re all idiots and their opinions don’t matter. Just as Vasic so kindly educated that Volumes kid, you could skate rings around all of that team. They don’t know you and their opinions are irrelevant. We know you, we respect you as an athlete, and we love you. That should be what matters.” Tai smiled at me as he spoke, his eyes fierce.

I nodded. “Thanks Tai. Love you too.”

Tai grinned, “Plus, you give great girl advice. I wouldn’t have scored that chick last summer without your advice.

And the supportive atmosphere had officially vanished. I laughed, “That makes me feel brilliant Tai, thanks.”

He grinned, cheeky now. “Hey, not your fault, she fell for it.”

“I’d almost feel like I was betraying my gender, but she fell for your wiles so quickly. I mean, you can be charming when you want to be, but that was just too easy.”

I took a sip of my passion-mango smoothie and grinned at the family that surrounded me, our jesting filling hours.

__________

          “Has he asked you out on a date yet?” Hilary asked me. She was my only ‘girlfriend’ at school – heck, she was the only girl who spoke to me voluntarily and that was only because she was dating one of my team – Kaleb Scott. I’d met Hilary when Kaleb had finally worked up the courage – or as the team phrased it – grown a big enough set – to introduce her to us.

It was in the middle of the summer holidays when we’d met Hilary. Kaleb had invited the team over to his place. The guy had a pool. It had been thirty-eight degrees Celsius out and the humidity was a killer. I didn’t have to be asked twice.

I remembered the day vividly and with a fair share of humour. Kaleb and Lucas had been slaving over the barbeque whilst the other guys messed me around in the pool.

Upon hearing a low whistle, we all turned around. Well, I had no choice but to turn as I was balanced on Vasic’s strong shoulders and had been battling with Alexei who had been assisted by Adam.

We all turned to stare at a beautiful girl who I knew attended my school in the year above my own.

I watched shamelessly as she walked happily over to Kaleb. The unnamed girl reached up to touch his cheek, turned his face toward her own and kissed him soundly on the mouth. I’d stared as I’d realised that she must be Hilary – Kaleb’s girl.

She turned to face the pool and grinned broadly at me. Then she frowned as she caught some of the guys eyeing her up and down.

Hilary coughed. “Firstly, I’m Kaleb’s. Secondly, he won’t beat your arses if you don’t stop staring, I will. Thirdly, can I join you guys for these shoulder wars? I guarantee that I’m a tough opponent when it comes to shoulder wars.” She grinned again.

I’d laughed so hard that I’d almost fallen from Vasic’s shoulders. I would have fallen too if he hadn’t have caught me.

“Kaleb!” I’d shouted.

His handsome smile greeted me as he turned. “I like your girl.”

His smile broadened instantly. “I knew you would Ari.”

“Ah, so you’re the infamous Ari?” I nodded at Hilary’s question.

“I’ve heard so many stories about you and I like you too.”

I’d smiled at her response, thinking that I’d found a friend in the girl.

“Come join us Hilary. I challenge you to a shoulder battle. Fair warning though, Vasic and I are the reigning champions.”

Hilary smiled, “Well, Kaleb and I shall see what we can do about that.”

I smiled fondly at the memory before coming back to the present.

Thoughts of Nate only increased the happiness that I knew would be clear on my face. “Yeah, he asked me out the night of the big game last week. We’re going out tomorrow night.”

Hilary frowned, “On a Tuesday night? I don’t mean to sound like the spoil sport, but isn’t that unwise? I mean, with Tuesday being a school night and everything.”

I laughed, “No, Grandmother Hilary, it isn’t. We have a game on Friday and Saturday will be left to recovering and assignments. It’s logical and we won’t be out too late if it makes you feel any better.”

She sighed, “Oh who cares anyway. I’m so excited for this date! I’ve been waiting forever for you to date!”

I laughed at her. “Well it’s no thanks to your boyfriend! That team of mine makes dating difficult. They scare any potential guys off. I suppose I do that myself as ‘the hockey girl’ thing though.”

Hilary glared at me, “Their loss babe. I can see how your rowdy team would scare others off. I’d always hoped you and Nate would get together though.”

“So, where is he taking you! What’s he told you?” Hilary wasn’t one to simply ask something if she really wanted an answer, she demanded it.

“He hasn’t told me where we’re going; just that he’s taking me to dinner. He told me to dress casual.”

Hilary nodded, processing the freely given information. “What time is he picking you up?”

“5:30.”

“Brilliant.” I’m riding home with you tomorrow after school. I’m helping you get ready whether you like it or not. No arguments. I’ve waited a year to do this with you.”

I sighed realising that resistance was futile. “Okay.”

The bell rang for last period and I said goodbye to Hilary as I headed off to my fifth class for the day. My thoughts travelled to my date with Nate that would be tomorrow and my stomach flooded with nerves. I sighed, nervously waiting.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 78 40
Blakely, or Blake as she's now known, is new in town, wanting to run away from all the problems she left behind in New York. Like an alcoholic, abusi...
428K 9.5K 41
College is a confusing and exciting place. Between classes, sports, and an attempt at a social life outside of class, it's enough stress to make a pe...
21.6M 583K 49
Grace wants to prove herself by making the men's hockey team at her new school. Will a rivalry with the captain - or an attraction between them - get...
12.7K 223 23
All Sophia ever wanted was for Ashton Maverick to notice her. But he was best friends with her older brother, Patrick, and a hockey star. There was n...