Forever Ruined

By Ruechari

Benjamin McAllister is the Queen's Man working in secret for King and Crown. It riddled his past with intrigu... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter - Twenty four
Chapter Twenty-five
Chapter Twenty- Six
Chapter Twenty- Seven
Chapter Twenty-eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty -Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-one
Chapter Forty-two
Chapter Forty-three
Chapter Forty-four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-eight
Chapter Forty-nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-four
Chapter Fifty-five
Chapter Fifty-six
Chapter Fifty-seven
Chapter Fifty-eight
Chapter Fifty-nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-two
Chapter Sixty-three
Chapter 64
Chapter Sixty-five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-eight
Chapter Sixty-nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy-one
Epilogue

Chapter Sixty-Seven

784 99 32
By Ruechari

It was wonderful spending time with her brother. Yet Clara found it increasingly bothersome that Mr. Brummell had still not seen nor heard from Benjamin. The ball was to be that evening.

"What if something has happened? What if he doesn't show? What if the Queen thinks him, not a suitable match?" Clara wrung her hands with worry as she paced the room.

Rosalyn stopped her in her tracks. "You know nothing could keep Mr. McAllister from you. He would not miss this chance for all the world. Mr. Brummell has told me how his suffering has been as acute as yours. Have faith. He will be there."

Clara was just as fearful of Benjamin being at the ball as she was of him not showing. She knew she had to confront him. She had to get the truth from him, but how? And did she really want to know? What if her worst fears were confirmed? What then?

Clara opened the box that contained her dress for the evening. Mr. Brummell had told her Benjamin will wear his formal attire and a Green Man mask. Rosalyn helped Clara dress. The gown was beautiful, a perfect fit. Clara put her mask in place and took a deep breath to calm her nerves. Finally, she was ready.

Richard was waiting for her at the bottom of the stairs. His mask was a simple black mask with a pointed crow's nose. Richard obviously chose understated knowing his role was as her guardian and protector. He did not need to draw attention to himself.

"You are stunning," Richard told Clara as he took her hand and she stepped off the last step.

"Thank you," Clara said, and soon they were off to the ball.

So many carriages had arrived for this event it took over an hour for them to reach the courtyard and finally be free of their confines. Footmen dressed with white horse masks stepped forward and opened the door for them.

They exited the carriage and ascended the staircase that led to a grand hall. Normally the hostess would be by the door to greet her guests, but the Queen was not present. Instead, Lady Elizabeth Pembroke welcomed them. Clara recognized her by her voice as she covered her face with a mask that resembled a peacock.

Looking at her invitation, Lady Pembroke's smile broadened. "Ah, Lady Bentley a pleasure. I hope you enjoy this evening."

"I am certain I shall. It is all quite wondrous." Clara's writer's mind was soaking in her surroundings. Someone swagged greenery over every doorway and window. Large floral displays in bright colors made the room feel more like a garden than a ballroom. It was as if she stepped into a magical fairyland, complete with mythical and magical creatures who were actually the guests of this evening's affair.

Clara scanned every face for the Green Man mask. Benjamin was not to be found.

"There are so many people here. How am I ever to find him?" Clara complained to Richard.

"I'm sure he'll seek you out," Richard reassured her.

"I hope you are right," Clara said.

All too soon, a stranger claimed a dance and Clara knew she could not refuse. The night progressed, and she did not sit out a set, though her feet ached and her body begged for rest. The only respite she had was when Richard stole her to get something to eat.

"Thank you, I'm not sure I could dance another step," Clara said, gratefully taking the seat as Richard pulled it out for her.

"Clara, I've been inquiring but I have yet to discover if Benjamin is here."

"Mr. Brummell told me he would wear a Green Man mask, but I have seen no one wearing one," Clara informed him.

"Does Benjamin know what you are wearing as well?"

"I believe so. Mr. Brummell said he would tell him; however, Mr. Brummell has not sought me out either. I hope nothing bad has happened to them."

"The night is still young. There is still time."

Clara hoped Richard was right. She took her time to enjoy the meal set before her. She knew she could not avoid the dance floor for very long. Clara disliked dancing with partners she did not know. She imagined if she ever made it to her coming-out ball, she would be in the same circumstance. Still, there was something unnerving about not seeing their faces.

Immediately upon returning to the ballroom, Clara was asked to dance again. She left Richard and moved to the dance floor. The dance was a waltz, causing the man to hold her in much closer proximity. She did not mind dancing the waltz with Benjamin, but it felt far too intimate to dance this way with someone else.

"You look lovely tonight, Lady Bentley."

Clara knew in that instant that it was Mr. Banks that she was dancing with.

"Thank you," Clara said, although she knew it sounded terse.

"I'm so glad you have come back into society. I was quite heartbroken when you left so abruptly before."

"I meant no offense, Mr. Banks. I was young and confused. I had followed where my heart led me."

"To the convent?" Mr. Banks asked, disbelief clear in his tone. "Your faith must be strong to have chosen the nunnery over marriage at such a young age, but it seems you are more suited for this life."

"My faith has never let me down, Mr. Banks, but I believe you are right. I am meant for something more."

"On that, we agree. I wish to renew our acquaintance if the thought is agreeable to you," Mr. Banks proposed.

"I can always use another friend," Clara said, but she did not like the way Mr. Banks held her with possession and she could not wait for the dance to end that she may retreat from him.

"Like you, Lady Bentley, I too believe I am meant for so much more, that we are meant to be so much more."

Clara was grateful for the mask that concealed her immediate revulsion to the idea. "We shall see," was all Clara offered, but it would seem her answer pleased Mr. Banks.

He requested the next dance before their first ended but Clara lied and said she promised it to her brother. Mr. Banks bowed graciously when the song had ended and Clara made a quick retreat to her brother's side.

He was speaking with someone. From the man's build and mannerisms, Clara knew it was Mr. Brummell. She had spent so much time with him recently, he could not be mistaken for anyone else.

"Clara, you look divine, as I knew you would in that gown. A beautiful butterfly in this magical garden the Queen has created for you."

"The Queen is not here, or at least she has not made her presence known."

"I doubt she would attend. Lady Pembrook is here to inform her on this evening's activity and I am certain she has not missed a thing."

"Lady Pembrook will have very little to report. Benjamin is still not here."

Even though masked, Clara could tell this news was no surprise to Mr. Brummell, and he appeared as concerned as she.

"I've heard nothing Clara. I've checked all his usual haunts, with some of his informants. No one has seen or heard from him in days. I pray I am wrong but I don't think he is coming, but you have nothing to worry about." Mr. Brummell was quick to add, "You are the belle of the ball, just as the Queen expected. She will be very pleased with you and if Benjamin is missing, she would know why so she could not be cross with him."

"So, you believe something has happened that has pulled him away?"

"I have no reason to believe otherwise," Mr. Brummell supplied. "May I have this dance?"

Clara gladly agreed. Once on the dance floor and away from prying ears and her protective brother, Clara asked again.

"Do you really believe Mr. McAllister is only delayed? That I should not be concerned that he is in trouble?"

"I honestly cannot say. I can't imagine what would keep him from you. This separation from you has been torture. You are his world, Clara. Should anything happen to you, I believe Mr. McAllister would cease to exist."

Mr. Brummell's words took Clara back. She knew he would not have said them if he did not believe them to be true. The song had ended and Mr. Brummell had offered to get her some punch, to which Clara gratefully agreed.

Clara thought of Mr. Brummell's words. If he was right, Clara knew Benjamin would find a way. He would be here. "Where are you, Benjamin?" Clara whispered. Her eyes scanned the room and, as if her words had conjured him, she saw the Green Man mask.

Benjamin! Her heart leaped, and she rushed over to him. He appeared to be looking for her. She wished she could wave to him or make a scene so he'd know she was here, but decorum forbids it. Still, she made her way through the crowded room, only to see him walk away. He did not see her. He must figure she was in another room and had gone looking for her.

Clara caught him briefly in the dining hall, but again, as she got closer, he moved on. She saw him heading to the doors that led out into the courtyard.

Clara stepped through the threshold and shivered as the cool night air hit her skin. Benjamin was nowhere to be found. How could this be? Clara leaned over the balcony to scan the grounds below when suddenly she was caught by the waist. She let out a yelp in surprise, but a kiss stifled it. A kiss that ended abruptly with a slap to the face.

"How dare you? Whoever you are? How dare you kiss me?!" This was not her, Benjamin.

"Not who you thought I was? Thought I was your lover? Did you really believe I was so naïve as to believe you ran off to join the church? I'd seen how you looked at him, but I claimed you first."

"Mr. Banks?" He had changed since she had last seen him. How did he have Benjamin's mask?

Clara suddenly felt something sharp poke at her side. Was that a knife?

"You have something of mine, I believe."

Clara knew not to struggle. She knew enough to know you don't pull a knife on a person unless you intend to use it and she could not afford to become harmed. It would be too late before anyone would find her. She had to keep her head, so the game of chess had begun.

"I returned the ring," Clara said, and Mr. Banks let out a raucous laugh. "You think I care about that now. Oh no, Clara. I am after something far greater. Something not even you could give me. Where is my list?"

"Your list?"

"The one you stole from my messenger that night at White's."

Clara felt the blood drain from her face. How could he know?

"You are going through all this trouble for a list of supplies?" Clara asked, hoping to lead him to believe his secrets were safe.

Mr. Banks smiled. "You have me all wrong, Clara. I'm not the enemy here. I know you somehow broke the coded message because your lover has been investigating the names on that list. However, he has learned very little and has now been otherwise detained."

Clara's eyes widened. "What have you done with him?!"

"He's safe, for now. Whether he remains so, depends on you."

"Me?"

"Yes, you. One, I want the list returned to me. Second, when I speak with your brother about our marriage, I expect you to be overjoyed about the proposal. I'll make a proper show of our courtship. After all, I can't have your reputation being damaged. Not if I am to remain in the proper circles."

"I would never marry you!" Clara spat.

"Even if it meant saving your lover's life? I don't even care that you come to me spoilt. Most generous of me, I think. You will do as I say, Clara or Mr. McAllister dies."

Clara knew Mr. Banks had her checkmated. She could not risk Benjamin's safety, but then another thought occurred to her. "How do I know he isn't already dead? If you want what you are asking for, then I have to see with my own eyes that he is alive and well."

"Well, he's alive," Banks said with a malicious grin. "I never said I left him unharmed."

Clara's stomach lurched. Benjamin... she had to get to him. No matter the cost.

"Those are my terms. I'll bring your list and I will marry you, but only after I have seen for myself that Benjamin lives."

"Fine. I'll call on you tomorrow, but know that I have eyes and ears all over this city, Clara. Should you make a wrong move, tell anyone what we have spoken about, involve anyone in trying to find Benjamin, I'll have him killed before they have the chance. Understood?"

"I understand," Clara said.

"Shall we?" Mr. Banks took Clara's elbow. He retracted his knife by some gadget up his sleeve.

"Dressed like that, you wish me to return with you?" Clara wondered what game Mr. Banks was playing.

"Lady Pembrook believes I am your beloved. She has caught me dancing and flirting with several of the other guests already. I think it's time we seal the deal that Benjamin is no good for you in the Queen's eyes."

"I hate you!" Clara said as he led her back inside and to the dance floor to, of course, dance another waltz.

"I don't need your love, Clara. Not anymore. Your title will do," Mr. Banks whispered intimately as he held her close. He held her most inappropriately. Clara noticed the matrons of the ball whispering.

Clara thought to push him away, but that would play right along with Mr. Banks's plan. Instead, she cozies up to him.

"What are you doing?" Mr. Banks hissed as Clara pulled him even closer.

Clara could see she had her brother and Mr. Brummell's attention now. She reached up and kissed Mr. Banks in front of everyone. She smiled at the collective gasp her actions caused.

Richard was now at Clara's side. He pushed Mr. Banks away from her. "What is the meaning of this?"

Mr. Brummell stood behind Mr. Banks. "I demand to know this instant who you are that you would take such liberties with my sister?"

Mr. Brummell pulled the ties on Mr. Banks's mask and it fell to the ground. Both men knew Benjamin would never be so bold as to kiss Clara in public. To do so would create a scandal and ruin her reputation.

"Mr. Banks!" Lady Pembrook looked most displeased. "How dare you, sir?!"

"I did not..." Mr. Banks stuttered, but already he was being dragged outside by Mr. Brummell and a footman, as Richard led Clara away.

"What is happening, Clara?"

"Mr. Banks... he has Benjamin. I know not where. He demands a list I no longer have. That I stole from an informant of his, of French sympathizers here in England and he demands I marry him if I wish Benjamin to remain unharmed."

"We must detain him."

"He is armed. A knife up his right shirt sleeve. Please, Richard, we must get where he is holding Benjamin hostage."

"It will be done," Richard said, placing her in a carriage and sending her home.

Clara paced for hours, wearing out the hardwood floors with anxiety over what had happened with Mr. Banks.

Richard had finally returned home. Clara was quick to note the blood on his shirt.

"His not mine," he reassured her.

"Have you discovered where Benjamin is being held?"

"No, he refused to talk, but Mr. Brummell has taken over. I have no doubt by morning you will have your answer. Now tell me more about this list?"

Clara told Richard everything. Including her description of how she came about the list, which shocked him, but to Richard's credit, he had recovered quickly. Perhaps because Julianna had also taken on the disguise of a man once upon a time.

"Why couldn't you be more like your sister, Annabelle, and find a nice quiet man to settle down with?"

Clara simply shrugged in response.

"So, you gave the list to Benjamin?"

"Yes."

"And you don't know what he's done with it?"

"No."

"It would be rather vital as it is evidence against Mr. Banks."

Clara again shrugged. She had nothing more to offer.

"Well, there is nothing further we can do until we hear from Mr. Brummell. I suggest you try to get some rest."

Clara thought he must be joking, but as Richard headed up the stairs to his room, she realized he was not.

"So that's it? We wait?"

Richard turned on the stairs to look at Clara. "There is little else we can do until we know where Benjamin is being kept."

Clara nodded, and Richard continued his way to his room. Clara understood that is where things ended for Richard, but she would not sit back and do nothing. She will discover Benjamin's whereabouts herself. Time was ticking, and she refused to let another second go by without using every weapon in her arsenal to find out where Benjamin was. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

733K 15.4K 17
In the grand tapestry of Regency England, where societal expectations and whispered rumours reign supreme, a most unconventional union is forged. Sop...
48.2K 670 23
Ellie: I think I just got jealous that my bestie got a girlfriend Do I like him? Idk ⚠️swearing⚠️ TikTok: payton.moormeier.luv.u
2M 68.5K 53
Woke up in the ancient era frightened the hell out of her. But she has to make a choice : Let the real plot take place or try to change it. ••• His p...
46.1K 4.5K 31
Regency debutante Lottie Atwell must silence a blackmailing killer before her secrets are exposed and her family is ruined. She's killed before, but...