The Gift of the Princess (HTT...

By PedePaulie

Princess Eira of Torvald is pleased to have found her place in the archipelago. She is doing good work on Ber... More

Daily Struggles
The Dragon Trappers
Gathering Information
Little Progress
Working it Out
An Old Friend
Dragon Training
An Unexpected Turn
Clashing
The Search
Critical Choices
Discovered
Reunion
Fading Fast
New Plan
Recruits and Setbacks
One Step More
Final Preperations
The Brawl
A Stronger Power
A New Chapter
Cut Off
Obstacles
Adjusting
Conversations
Village Life
A Chief's Predicament
Protection
Disappearances
Insights
Getting to the Bottom of Things
The Truth
Figuring Things Out
Striking Back
Roadblocks
Changes of Heart
The Right Way
Hostile Welcome
Working Hard
Differences of Opinion
Options
The Meeting
Brave and Bold
Taming
Conquering Fears
Drago's Plan
Wild One
The Second Attempt
Moving Forward
Pressure Mounting
Lingering Doubts
Taking Charge
Going All Out
Dwindling Chances
Taking Sides
Brewing Storm
Fully Prepared
Showdown
New Beginnings
Epilogue

Redemption

61 4 0
By PedePaulie

Chapter 55: Redemption

Ingrid nervously bit her lip as she stared at the ships protecting the island that was her next destination. This looked like a setup for a repeat of their previous disaster. How could she expect anything to go differently? Then she looked at Snotlout and saw him grin at her. Something inside of her settled. They could do this. They had to do this.

"Are you ready for this?" Snotlout said.

"As ready as I'm going to get," replied Ingrid.

"We don't attack them, right?"

Ingrid was surprised he was so willing to use her tactics this time, but she nodded. "Block but don't attack. They'll attack us because they think we're the aggressors. We have to maintain the moral high ground or we'll never persuade them of our ideas."

"Right. You hear that, Hooky?" Snotlout rubbed Hookfang's neck, and the the Monstrous Nightmare grunted.

"Let's try to give them some peace and calm, Shadowwhisper." Ingrid knew it would not do much against the soldiers, but it may signal their intentions. She took a deep breath. "Let's go."

They were met with resistance as expected. This time, however, the two dragons merely burned the weapons and nets tossed at them while they left the ships alone. The soldiers shouted angrily at them, but there was not much they could do without dragons of their own.

Shadowwhisper and Hookfang landed before another crowd of angry villagers. Ingrid and Snotlout immediately dismounted and raised their hands to show they would not use their weapons. "We come in peace," Snotlout said.

An older woman stepped forward, her eyes narrowed. "And who are you?"

Out of the corner of her eye, Ingrid noticed the ships sailing closer to the island. They had to do this quickly. "I'm Ingrid, and this is Snotlout. We're from Berk and friends of Torleif Island."

The woman appeared surprised. "You know Chief Reidun? Why has she gotten mixed up with Berk?"

"She's realized that we're on the right side," Snotlout said. "We taught them how to be friends with dragons so they can rely on their protection instead of the Northern Alliance's."

"Dragons are great companions," Ingrid said, patting Shadowwhisper's side. "We can show you if you want. The wild dragons here will no longer give you any trouble, and they can produce valuable goods you can use for trade."

"And they won't extort you like those guys." Snotlout jerked his thumb at the soldiers who were rushing on shore.

The woman looked at the soldiers and then at the dragon riders. "I'm listening."

"It looks like those guys are going to give you trouble," Ingrid said, pushing down her nervousness at a potential confrontation.

"Let us show you how Vikings and dragons can work together," said Snotlout.

The woman withdrew a long sword. "No, show that you and your dragons can work with us." The others around her nodded in agreement.

Snotlout and Ingrid exchanged looks. He nodded, and she smiled. "No problem," said Ingrid.

***

Krogan gazed at the island where Drago held Eira captive. It was time to confront him and get her back. For too long Krogan had lived in fear of the man, a testament to Drago's control over him. Krogan was not afraid now. He was angry. For once, he did not fight the resurgence of his old instincts. If he had to kill, he might as well kill to benefit everyone.

"Okay, I think I know how we should do this," Hiccup said from his right side.

"You three need to stay here," Krogan said. "I am going alone."

Hiccup looked at him in shock. Toothless growled while Swiftwings whined beside him. "I thought we already decided you're not doing this alone. And I don't think I can keep Swiftwings from going to Eira."

"Hold her back as long as you can. I am going to challenge Drago. You cannot interfere."

"Ch-challenge? You can't-"

Krogan gave him a dark look. "You don't think I can beat him?"

Hiccup flushed. "It's not that. I just - You can't expect Drago to play fair, not with all those dragons."

"That's why you're here for backup, isn't it?"

Hiccup frowned. "I - I suppose so."

"Give me a chance to get started. If something happens to me, make sure to save Eira."

"W-wait!"

But Ruby had already taken off for the island. From Viggo's description, Krogan knew to approach from the forest and fly until he reached Drago's base. Surprisingly, he crossed paths with several dragons, but they flew off instead of trying to stop him. Did  Drago really think he would come quietly? From their previous interactions, maybe he had a reason to believe so.

The trees opened up to reveal several large structures, but Krogan's eyes were on the cage in the center of it all, housing Eira and a white dragon he assumed to be Luna, the Light Fury. They both leapt up when they saw him. Drago stood to the left of the cage as if waiting for him, a smirk on his face.

"Krogan!" Eira exclaimed. "Where's everyone else?"

"You knew I had an extraordinary proposition for you, didn't you?" Drago said smugly. "Have you come to take part in my plan?"

Krogan climbed off Ruby's back and took two steps towards Drago. "I will never join you," he growled, pulling out a long blade. "Let Eira go!"

Drago appeared amused at the demand. "You've been hanging around that insufferable chief. He's nothing but a boy."

"A boy who beat you."

Drago's smile fell. "He also beat you."

"Yes, but I know why he beat me. Do you know why he beat you?" It was the same question Viggo asked Krogan once. Krogan did not know the answer then, but he knew now.

Drago snorted. "He got lucky, but he was foolish too. He didn't finish the job."

"Then allow me to finish it for him." Krogan stepped forward and raised his dagger. The Night Furies scattered throughout the area growled. "I challenge you, one on one."

"What?" said Eira. "No!"

"It would be easy for you to simply join me," said Drago, "but if you're in a hurry to die..." Drago pulled out a sword Krogan could not remember him ever using. It seemed he had picked up a new skill on the island.

The Night Furies suddenly snarled, their attention on the forest. A second later, Toothless and Hiccup emerged, followed by Swiftwings. "Oh good, I'm not too late," Hiccup said. Toothless and Swiftwings tried to land by the cage, but the Night Furies stood in their way, so they settled near the trees by Ruby.

Drago narrowed his eyes at Krogan. "I thought you came alone."

"They're here to observe," Krogan said.

"Do you think I'm going to do something dishonorable?" Drago laughed. "You're probably right. You do have some sense left in you."

"Hiccup, you have to stop them," Eira said.

Hiccup looked from Krogan to Eira. "I don't think I can."

"I'm sorry, Eira," Krogan said. "I have to do this." He remained tense, waiting for Drago to make a move.

"Not going to move, eh?" said Drago. "You'll regret that." He charged at Krogan and swung his blade at a diagonal. Krogan waited until the last  second to jump back out of the way. He swiped at Drago with his dagger in his right hand and his axe in his left. The bigger man managed to repel both attacks with his sword.

"Krogan, you've got to stop this," Eira said as the fighting continued with neither side gaining an advantage.

"There's no other way to make him let you go," Krogan said.

"Yes, there is. If you use violence, it will only make the problem worse."

Krogan knew very well the Night Furies would turn on him if he killed Drago. His best hope was for Toothless to be able to hold them off long enough for them to escape. It wasn't the best plan, but he didn't see another option. "He's not persuadable, Eira. If you can't bring out whatever good is left in him, no one can."

"That's not true. I couldn't bring it out, but Duskscales did!"

"Duskscales?" The name sounded familiar, but Krogan could not place it.

"His Night Fury! The two of them have bonded. They're friends. They care about each other like you and Ruby."

Krogan did not dare to look for said Night Fury lest he lose focus and let Drago overcome him. It did not matter anyway. He had already started this fight, and he could not stop it. Formulating a plan, he allowed himself to be driven back toward the trees. He sensed Drago's inflated confidence, which he used to surprise him by ducking down under his good arm.

Krogan swung his axe down on Drago's artificial arm, slicing it clean off. He wasted no time in aiming his knife at his remaining hand. This time, he struck skin, and Drago dropped his sword while shouting in pain. Krogan took his chance to push Drago's hand against the tree and strike his dagger through his clothing, keeping him restrained. He returned his dagger to his sheath and raised his axe. It was finally over.

A dark grey streak flashed before Krogan's eyes, halting his progress. Duskscales, he realized. The dragon did not attack him but simply lay in front of Drago and looked at Krogan with big, sad eyes. It was a look that could have come from Eira, and it made Krogan hesitate.

Then there was a flurry of activity from above. Krogan looked to see strange black and red dragons descending upon them. The Night Furies shot at them, but the dragons evaded their attacks. Then newcomers landed in a semi-circle around the clearing and all looked to the giant white dragon with a broken tusk. Krogan tensed. The Bewilderbeast!

The large dragon let out a thunderous roar. The smaller dragons, including Ruby, had glazed looks and started moving towards him. Only Toothless, glowing alpha blue and growling, was unaffected. Beside him, a thin man had one arm wrapped securely around Hiccup's middle, effectively pinning his arms to his sides, and held a knife to his throat with the other. How had he allowed him to sneak up on him like that?

"Thank you for that entertainment," the man said. He looked at Toothless almost boredly. "Do not try anything, dragon, if you want your master to live." His eyes flickered from Drago to Krogan. "You too, although thank you for taking care of him for me."

"Who are you?" Krogan said in a dark tone.

"Grimmel," Drago growled.

"Ah, my apologies," said the man. "I am Grimmel the Grisly, savior of mankind."

"You're not saving anyone," Eira said from her cage. "People and dragons are better of working together!"

"I am afraid such foolishness ends now. I am taking back my Night Furies so they can help me achieve my plan." Luna snarled at Grimmel, who appeared amused. "You can keep that one. Consider it a gift." His gaze returned to Toothless. "I know you cannot be compelled, but you will still come with me if you wish to keep your friend alive."

"Don't do it, Toothless!" Hiccup said. "He'll only kill you!"

"Now, why would I do that when he is much more useful alive? Come." Grimmel turned and started for the trees, dragging Hiccup along beside him. Toothless hesitated before following. The Bewilderbeast roared, and all the dragons took to the air.

"No!" Eira cried. "Swiftwings!"

Krogan still held his axe, but he did not move. He did not have the time to break Ruby free before Grimmel decided to injure or kill Hiccup in retaliation. Would Grimmel risk losing his only means of coercing Toothless? Then again, the flock of Night Furies could probably corral Toothless without much problem. One Grimmel's own dragons remained close to him, presumably to protect him.

"Duskscales!" Drago shouted. "Do something!" That was directed at Krogan.

"If I do something, the entire hoard of dragons will kill us," Krogan snapped. They were getting further away, and it was too late to do anything now. He needed to remain alive so he could inform the others and plan a counterstrike.

No sooner had the dragons disappeared than two new ones landed, these ones carrying Dagur and Viggo. "Eira!" Dagur exclaimed as soon as he was on the ground. He ran to the cage and began hacking at it with his axe, to no avail.

Viggo examined the ground and picked something up. "You should try the key." He tossed Dagur a small, metal item. Dagur fumbled with the key but then inserted it into the lock and opened the door.

"Dagur!" Eira said, flinging her arms around him. Luna leapt out of the cage, growling.

"What happened here?" Viggo said, looking around the clearing. "Where are all the dragons - and Hiccup?"

Eira pulled back from Dagur and placed a hand on Luna's back to calm her. "Grimmel took them. He has the Bewilderbeast. Somehow he captured Hiccup, and he's using him as leverage against Toothless."

"How could you let this happen?" Viggo admonished Krogan.

"Me?" said Krogan, his anger returning. "You two are the ones who showed up late. A surprise attack would have been nice."

"We were following your wishes. You wanted to go it alone. You had everything under control."

"I did have things under control. This - this isn't my fault!" Krogan swung around to face Drago and point an accusing finger at him. "This is his fault! It's always his fault! He ruins everything!"

"You're right," Drago said, causing Krogan to halt his anger and look at him in shock. "This is my fault." He had managed to free himself from the tree, and he was currently seated and slumped up against it. Krogan had never seen him look so defeated or miserable. "Go ahead and finish me off them. You have every right to it. Duskscales is gone... There is nothing left for me here."

"Fine." Krogan lifted his axe. He had to do this. He would be doing the world a favor. Drago himself looked like he wanted to die. And yet... His hands froze with the axe raised above his head while Drago closed his eyes.

"Aren't you going to stop him?" Dagur said in a low voice.

"He already knows what I think he should do," Eira said. "He needs to decide."

Krogan willed his instincts to overtake his conscientious objections, but he could not ignore the striking similarity Drago bore to Krogan himself not too long ago. Drago had given up on life because he lost his only companion. Eira was right; if he cared about a creature other than himself, it meant there was still good in him and he was worth saving.

Krogan's body still refused to move, protesting the idea of not killing Drago as much as killing him. Did he have the strength to let go? He thought about everything Eira and Hiccup taught him. Then he remembered Reidun's words. It was he who chose who he would be. In that moment, Krogan knew exactly who he wanted to be. He focused all of his willpower into his decision and threw his axe into the ground harmlessly beside him.

Drago opened his eyes. "You missed."

"No, I didn't. There is something I need to do that is far more important than killing you, Drago. I... forgive you." As soon as he said the words, Krogan felt a great weight lift off his shoulders. All his prior worries no longer seemed to matter. For the first time in years, he felt at peace with himself. He was finally, truly free.

Drago stared at him blankly. "You what?"

Krogan took in a deep breath and let it out slowly as if cleansing himself. "I've spent too much time blaming you for all my problems, believing you ruined my life. But that was never true. It's impossible for a person to ruin another's life. I did that myself. You may have done some horrible things to me, but I always had the power to choose how to respond. I am choosing now to take back control over my life. You no longer hold any power over me."

Drago grunted. "That's all well and good for you, but what are you going to do with me, leave me here?"

Krogan glanced back at his friends. Their lack of reaction told him he was free to act as he felt prudent. "That is your choice, Drago. Make no mistake; if you continue to threaten my friends, I will defend them even if I have to put you down in the process. I not a killer; I am a protector... and you can be one if you choose. Renounce your aggression towards us and we will help you save your dragon. We have a common enemy. Let us work with each other instead of against each other." He held out his hand to him in an offering of peace.

Drago stared at him for a long moment, perplexed. Then he grabbed his hand and allowed him to help him to his feet. "Krogan, when did you get so strong?" Krogan glanced at Eira as she approached, welcoming her hug with a smile. "Ah, of course. Fine, I will join you, but Duskscales is the priority."

"We're saving everyone!" Dagur exclaimed.

"But Hiccup is the priority," said Viggo.

Drago grimaced. "Why are all of you so enamored by the boy?"

"None of us would be here if it were not for him," Eira said, to which everyone else had to agree. "We need to go to Berk and explain what happened."

"There are two dragons and one of us," Viggo said, looking from Sigurd to Sleuther. "This may prove difficult."

"What about that one?" Drago said, nodding at Luna. "I figured the girl had bonded with her because the only reason I managed to capture the dragon is because she protected the girl."

"An astute observation," said Krogan.

"She's never let me rider her," said Eira. She locked eyes with the Light Fury, who was watching her just as closely. "It is up to you, girl. I know you had a deal with Grimmel, but he clearly doesn't care about you. We want all dragons to be free to lead the lives they choose. Will you help us?" Luna let out a small cry. Then she dipped her head and rotated to give the girl full access to her back. Smiling, Eira carefully held onto the dragon and swung her leg over. Once they were situated, both rider and dragon gave the others determined looks. "We're ready to go!"

***

A/N: I hope everyone enjoyed that chapter. Be prepared for the final five!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.7K 799 46
Hiccups left Berk... again. After a grueling battle with the Red Death, Hiccup who is now missing a leg, leaves Berk to go fight against a returning...
77K 2.6K 61
The vikings of Torvald have always been friendly with dragons, and when they learn Berk has also accepted dragons, they send Princess Eira and her Wi...
35K 889 14
It's been five years since Hiccup changed the minds of Berk, and everyone is happier for it. It's a more peaceful way of life, and it opens the doors...
298K 7.4K 34
Hiccup, a boy living in the village Berk. Being a weakling yet the son of the chief. Y/n, a girl flying on her Night Fury. Loving to be free. Flying...