тнє ℓαѕт qυєєи // тнє ∂σ¢тσя

By Silverfloor23

Backstory/Description in the book WARNING ⚠️ - SMUT More

The Last Queen
Cast
Extra Cast/Big Announcement
Themes
Dalek
The Long Game
Father's Day
The Empty Child
The Doctor Dances
Boom Town
Bad Wolf
The Paring Of Ways
Born Again
The Christmas Invasion
New Earth
Tooth and Claw
School Reunion
The Girl In The Fireplace
Rise Of The Cybermen
Age Of Steel
The Idiots Lantern
The Impossible Planet
The Satan Pit
Love and Monsters
Fear Her
Army Of Ghosts
Doomsday
The Runaway Bride
Smith's and Jones
The Shakespeare Code
Daleks In Manhatten
Evolution Of The Daleks
The Lazarus Experiment
42
Human Nature
Family Of Blood
Blink
Utopia
The Sound Of The Drums
Last Of The Time Lords
Time Crash
Voyage Of The Damned
Partners In Crime
The Fires Of Pompeii
Planet Of The Ood
The Sontaran Stratagem
The Poison Sky
The Doctor's Other Daughter
The Unicorn and The Wasp
Silence In The Library
Forest Of The Dead
Midnight
Turn Left
The Stolen Earth
Journey's End
The Next Doctor
Planet Of The Dead
The Waters On Mars
The Wedding Of Sarah Jane Smith and a Family Vacation
A Wedding Of Time
The End Of Time #1
The End Of Time #2
The Eleventh Hour
The Beast Below
Victory Of The Daleks
The Time Of Angels
Flesh And Stone
Meanwhile In The Tardis
The Vampires Of Venice
Amy's Choice
The Hungry Earth
Cold Blood
Vincent and The Doctor
The Lodger
The Pandorica Opens
The Big Bang

Gridlock

1.3K 39 16
By Silverfloor23

{"Sometimes I think he likes me, but sometimes I think he just needs someone."}
⌌⊱⇱⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊰⌍
Before anyone says anything, I changed the plot of this one. Please don't complain or correct, just go with it.
⌎⊱⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⇲⊰⌏

"Just one trip. That's what I said. One trip in the Tardis, and then home." I rolled my eyes and shot him a look, "Although I suppose we could stretch the definition. Take one trip into past, one trip into future. How do you fancy that?" He smiled at her trying to be nice, he wanted to try at least to get to know her but at the same time he didn't want to get close because he was afraid he would get hurt again. I understood that much, I would be the same way if I had actually bonded with Rose but I didn't.

"No complaints from me." She smiled brightly at the two of us. "How about a different planet?" I asked her, "Can we go to yours?" We both stiffened at the thought of our home planet, I grunted slightly gripping his hand as I got flashbacks.

╲╱❀╲╱╲╱❀╲╱╲╱❀╲╱

I stood off to the side watching the trainers show us what we were meant to be doing. "Left. Right. Left." She repeated again and again until we got it right.

╲╱❀╲╱╲╱❀╲╱╲╱❀╲╱

Screams of terror echoed around me as I rushed through the battlefield. My home was no longer a beautiful place as it was being coated in the blood of my people.

Left.

Right.

Left.

It was all I could hear echoing throughout my head as I fought for my people and my life.

╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲

"Ah, there's plenty of other places."

Theta told her with a stiff smile trying to change the subject, she didn't seem to notice though. "Come on, though. I mean, planet of the Time Lords. That's got to be worth a look. What's it like?"

"Well, it's beautiful, yeah." I chuckled dryly as I moved to the pilot seat, it was a beautiful world but deep within it held the darkest secrets. "Is it like, you know, outer space cities, all spires and stuff?" She asked as Theta stared down at the console, "I suppose it is." He spoke, his voice gentle as his mind began to wonder. "Great big temples and cathedrals!"

"Yeah."

"Lots of planets in the sky?"

"The sky's a burnt orange, with the Citadel enclosed in a mighty glass dome, shining under the twin suns. My tower was the tallest in it. Beyond that, the mountains go on forever. Slopes of deep red grass, capped with snow."

"Can we go there?"

"Nah. Where's the fun for us? I don't want to go home." He spoke loudly as he began flipping switches. "Instead, this is much better. Year five billion and fifty-three, planet New Earth. Second hope of mankind. Fifty thousand light years from your old world, and we're slap bang in the middle of New New York. Although, technically it's the fifteenth New York from the original, so it's New New New New New New New New New New New New New New York. One of the most dazzling cities ever built." He started towards the door as she watched silently, I frowned. Was he trying to get back at her for bringing up our home or did he not realize that he was taking her to the same place he took Rose and I.

The Tardis is blocking a narrow alleway and we walk out into rain. "Oh, that's nice. Time Lord version of dazzling." Martha uttered sarcastically with an eye roll. "Nah, bit of rain never hurt anyone. Come on, let's get under cover!" He grabbed my hand and pulled me along with Martha following close behind.

╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲

We end up in a small run down market area, "Well, it looks like the same old Earth to me, on a Wednesday afternoon." She muttered again looking around with a frown, she so wasn't enjoying this and to be honest I had a bad feeling about this as well. "Hold on, hold on. Let's have a look." He uses his sonic screwdriver to get a monitor working. "And the driving should be clear and easy, with fifteen extra lanes open for the New New Jersey expressway."A picture of a high-tec Manhattan and flying cars. "Oh, that's more like it. That's the view we had last time. This must be the lower levels, down in the base of the tower. Some sort of under-city."

"You've brought me to the slums?" She glared at him, looking towards me as I gave her a small sorry smile. "Much more interesting. It's all cocktails and glitter up there. This is the real city." I rolled my eyes, he really didn't understand. "You'd enjoy anything." I muttered lowly, it wasn't a mean comment per say. It was more or less an observation from over the years we've been together. "That's me. Ah, the rain's stopping. Better and better." He cheered happily.

"When you say last time, was that you and Rose?" Martha asked with a frown, "Er, yeah. Kate was there too. Man, we had a nice kiss here." He mused happily as he remembered, I raised an eyebrow. "Which one are you talking about?" I asked crossing my arms causing his eyes to widen as he gapped at me like a fish. "You're taking me to the same planets that you took her?" Martha interrupted our fight that seemed to be starting. I really wasn't trying to be a bitch but I know deep down a part of him loved her and it hurt.

He needed to get his priorities straight, I was pregnant with his child, the least he could do is let me off easy.

"Our kiss, Kate and what's wrong with that?" He asked, his eyes not leaving as they shone with hurt. I think he may have caught my thoughts but I just looked away from him. "Nothing. Just ever heard the word rebound?" Martha grumbled as she grabbed my hand with a gentle sympathetic smile. A man opens the front of his stall, "Oh! You should have said. How long you been there? Happy. You want Happy." More hatches open. The next two are women, "Customers. Customers! We've got customers!"

"We're in business. Mother, open up the Mellow, and the Read."

"Happy, Happy, lovely happy Happy!"

"Anger. Buy some Anger!"

"Get some Mellow. Makes you feel all bendy and soft all day long."

"Don't go to them. They'll rip you off. Do you want some happy?"

"No, thanks." Theta moved away with a deep frown as Martha looked in shock, "Are they selling drugs?" She asked with a slight glare, coming from a Doctor in training this wasn't a good look. "I think they're selling moods." I muttered looking around, "Same thing, isn't it?" More people start to enter the area, listless and dressed in rags. "Over here, sweetheart! That's it, come on, I'll get you first!"

"Oi! Oi, you! Over here! Over here! Buy some Happy!"

"Come over here, yeah. And what can I get you, my love?"

"I want to buy Forget."

"I've got Forget, my darling. What strength? How much do you want forgetting?" The bender smiled brightly at the new found business. "It's my mother and father. They went on the motorway." The women began to cry, "Oh, that's a swine. Try this. Forget Forty three. That's two credits." The bender handed it to her as Theta stepped up with a frown. "Sorry, but hold on a minute. What happened to your parents?" He asked her, "They drove off." She answered back with tears streaming down her face.

"Yeah, but they might drive back." I told her gently but she shook her head. "Everyone goes to the motorway in the end. I've lost them." She cried even harder at the thought, Martha, Theta and I standing there confused. "But they can't have gone far. You could find them. No. No, no, don't." The woman sticks the Forget 43 tab to her neck. "I'm sorry, what were you saying?" She asked with a gentle smile, everything forgotten.

"Your parents. Your mother and father. They're on the motorway." He tried to tell her but she just smiled softly, "Are they? That's nice. I'm sorry, I won't keep you." The young woman leaves, "So that's the human race five billion years in the future. Off their heads on chemicals."

A man grabs me from behind, and a woman points a gun at Theta and Martha. My eyes widened in shock as I placed a protective shield around my stomach. I was already being grabbed so I couldn't do much about myself but I could protect my child. Theta looked dark, darker than I had ever seen him before. His face became red as his eyes flashes with so much anger, Martha looked shocked. "I'm sorry, I'm really, really sorry. We just need three, that's all."

"No, let her go! I'm warning you, let her go! Whatever you want, I can help. Both of us, we can help. But first you've got to let her go. Damnit! Let her go!" His voice echoed making everyone pause, he was like a madman. The man who held me shook slightly but still refused, "I'm sorry. I'm really sorry. Sorry." The women cries as the man drags me through a green door, and she locks it behind us. We run along a passageway, me fighting against him the whole time while Theta tries to get it open.

A car that looks like a truncated tram is parked here. "He is so going to kill you, and never mind him, I'm going to kill you myself! Let go of me! You stupid bastard!" I struggled harshly against him, "Give her some Sleep." He told the women causing me to struggle harder, "Don't you dare! Don't put that stuff in me, don't! Get off me!" I shouted.

"It's just Sleep Fourteen. No, baby, don't fight it." She cried just as scared as me, "I'm telling you, don't! I'm pregnant." Everything went black.

"That's it. Come on. That's it. She'll be okay." Milo nodded, "Get on board."

"Engaging anti-gravs. Hold on." Milo releases the handbrake and the car takes off.

╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲

The Doctor and Martha rush after them but it's too late when they get there, "Kate!" He shouted in desperation, everything seeming to stop as flashbacks of her pass over his eyes. Martha watches as something seems to snap within him. His eyes holding so much anger and violence, he was like a villain.

╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲

"She's all right. She's breathing, pulse is fine, and no harm done. Baby's Okay. She looks rich. Maybe a Royal by the dress. She must have got lost." Cheen tells her husband gently, both still shaking from the man. "Yeah, well, she's worth her weight in gold to us. This is car four six five diamond six. We have three passengers, repeat three. Request access to the fast lane."

"Access granted."

"Oh, yes."

"Milo?" His wife questions causing him to turn just slightly to look at her, "He's coming isn't he? We took her from him. If it was you, wouldn't you hunt down whoever took me?" Milo paused as they both suddenly shivered in fear before he turned his attention forward. "It doesn't matter now."

╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲

The Doctor hammers on the closed hatch, Martha standing behind in silence as she watched. "Thought you'd come back. Do you want some happy Happy?" Martha winced as the vender didn't seem to understand the doom that was standing there. "Those people, who were they? Where did they take her?" He demanded, his voice low but he was pissed. "They've taken her to the motorway." The first vender explained, "Looked like carjackers to me."

"I'd give up now, darling. You won't see her again."

"Used to be thriving, this place. You couldn't move. But they all go to the motorway in the end."

"He kept on saying three, we need three. What did he mean, three?"

"It's the car-sharing policy, to save fuel. You get special access if you're carrying three adults." The third one explained, "This motorway. How do we get there?" Martha asked, noticing The Doctor get even more pissed. "Straight down the alley, keep going to the end. You canna miss it. Tell you what. How about some happy Happy? Then you'll be smiling, my love." His eyes turned black but his voice came out calm. "Word of advice, all of you. Cash up, close down and pack your bags."

"Why's that, then?"

"Because as soon as I've found her, alive and well. And I will find her alive and well. Then I'm coming back, and this street is closing tonight!"

╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲

"Now you just settle back. It's all going to be worth it." I wake up, my vision slightly blurred and pull the tab from my neck that they put there earlier. "Yeah. The view from the windows. You can see all the way out to the flatlands. Clear blue sky. They say the air smells like apple grass. Can you imagine?" The women at her husband as I glared harshly in silence. "The houses are made of wood. There are jobs going in the foundries. Everyone says so." Spotting the gun in the back I move to grab it before pointing it at them.

"Take me back. Whoever you are, just take me back to my husband, Now. That's all I want. I won't cause any trouble. Just take me back." I demanded with a glare as I held it up, the women paused and gave me a small sympathetic smile. "I'm sorry. That's not a real gun." She told me, "Yeah, well, you would say that." I snarled back. "Where do you get a gun from, these days? I wouldn't even know how to fire."

"No, I do. Okay." I sigh putting the gun down, Theta would be highly pissed if I did it. "What's your name?" She asked, "Kate. Kate Smith." I uttered as I slowly lowered my shield, I didn't realize it was even still up. Apparently I had a good safety measure even as I'm out cold. "Well, I'm Cheen, and this is Milo. And I swear we're sorry. We're really, really sorry. We just needed access to the fast line, but I promise, as soon as we arrive, we'll drop you off and you can go back and find your friend and husband." I grunted with an annoyed look, "Seriously?"

"I swear! Look. Honesty patch." She shows me the same kind of patch I've been seeing, "All the same, it's still kidnapping! Where are we, anyway?" I asked moving forward to look out the front of the car. "We're on the motorway." Milo explained, "What's that, then?" I frowned trying to squint for a better look but I was unlucky. "That's the exhaust fumes." Cheen explained with a small smile.

"We're going out to Brooklyn. Everyone says the air's so much cleaner, and we couldn't stay in Pharmacy Town, because" He paused looking down at my stomach before looking over to his wife. "Well, because of me. I'm pregnant too. We only discovered it last week. Scan says it's going to be a boy. You?" I paused slightly, my eyes widening as I place a hand on my stomach. I wouldn't be able to know the gender of mine until a little later from now.

"Don't know, yet. What do I do now, congratulate my kidnappers?" I snarled looking towards the women, she was pregnant herself and I know that I'm not showing yet but they still could have let me go when I told them back there. "Oh, we're not kidnappers. Not really."

"Nope? You're idiots. You're having a baby, and you're wearing that?" I pull the Honesty patch from Cheen's neck. "Not anymore. And don't put anymore on me, jackasses." I grumbled with a glare causing them to flinch. "This'll be as fast as we can. We'll take the motorway to the Brooklyn flyover, and then after that it's going to take awhile, because then there's no fast lane, just ordinary roads, but at least it's direct."

"It's only ten miles."

"How long is it going to take?"

"About six years."

My eyes went wide as I glared at them, "What?" They both flinched and looked away from me as I sat down in shock. "Be just in time for him to start school. And your little one I suppose." I chuckled lowly, if only they knew. "Six years? Ten miles in six years? How come? You know, I don't even care. You kidnap me for six years and your going to have hell to pay." I paused for a moment, closing my eyes and trying to connect with Theta but he wasn't connecting to me. I frowned opening my eyes again, why wasn't he connecting?

╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲

The Doctor unlocks a metal door and steps out onto a small balcony, with Martha in tow coughing in the exhaust fumes. The stationary traffic is stacked in all directions, including up and down. The car nearest the balcony opens its door and a figure in WW2 flying jacket and helmet, goggles and a white scarf across its face looks out. It has an Irish accent, "Hey! You daft little street struts. What are you doing standing there? Either get out or get in. Come on!" The Doctor gets in, making sure to reach out and help Martha in both gasping for breath.

"Did you ever see the like?" A dark haired woman puts an oxygen mask on the Doctor, moving over to do the same for Martha. "Here you go." She smiles gently at them, "Just standing there, breathing it in." Brannigan removes the scarf and goggles. "There's this story, says back in the old days, on Junction forty seven, this woman stood in the exhaust fumes for a solid twenty minutes. By the time they found her, her head had swollen to fifty feet."

Martha shot the Doctor a look causing him to shrug slightly. "Oh, you're making it up." The women laughed as she sat down, "A fifty foot head! Just think of it. Imagine picking that nose." The man smiled as his wife smacked him. The Doctor watched with a small smile, his heart aching at the sight. He just wanted his Nora to be safe and sound in his arms. "Oh, stop it. That's disgusting." She grumbled at him, "What, did you never pick your nose?"

"Bran, we're moving."

"Right. I'm there. I'm on it." With a cloud of white smoke from the exhaust pipe, all the cars move forward a short distance. "Twenty yards. We're having a good day. And who might you two be? Very well-dressed for hitchhikers." The cat man asked, "Thanks. Sorry, I'm the Doctor, this is Martha." He introduced as Martha slowly gave a awkward smile and wave. "Medical man! My name's Thomas Kincade Brannigan, and this is the bane of my life, the lovely Valerie."

"Nice to meet you." Valerie greeted with a wave, "And that's the rest of the family behind you." The Doctor draws back a curtain to reveal a litter of kittens in a basket. Martha gasps at the cute sight as she goes to pick one up. "Ah, that's nice. Hello. How old are they?" The Doctor asked as Martha handed him one, "Just two months." Valerie asked as she watched them with a smile. The smile of a mother, one that the Doctor loved to see on Kate's face. "Poor little souls. They've never known the ground beneath their paws. Children of the motorway."

"What, they were born in here?" Martha asked with a frown, "We couldn't stop. We heard there were jobs going, out in the laundries on Fire Island. Thought we'd take a chance." Valerie shrugged with a smile, "What, you've been driving for two months?" The Doctor asked in confusion causing both of them to laugh. "Do I look like a teenager? We've been driving for twelve years now."

"I'm sorry?" Martha gapped as the Doctors eyebrows furrowed in disbelief, "Yeah! Started out as newlyweds. Feels like yesterday." Bran smiled happily at his wife, taking her hand. "Feels like twelve years to me." Valerie grumbled back as a tease, the Doctor watched with a flinch. He really needed to get Kate back. "Ah, sweetheart, but you're still love me." Bran chuckled to himself, "Twelve years? How far did you come? Where did you start?" The Doctor questions them.

"Battery Park. It's five miles back."

"You travelled five miles in twelve years?"

"I think he's a bit slow."

"Where are you from?"

"Never mind that. I've got to get out. My pregnant wife is in one of these cars. She was taken hostage. I should get back to the Tardis." He turns to leave with Martha but Bran stops him. "You're too late for that. We've passed the lay-by. You're a passenger now, Sonny Jim. Both of you." Martha looks towards the Doctor in slight fear, "When's the next lay-by?" He asked them, "Oh, six months?"

╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲

They are dropping down through the rows of cars. "How many cars are out there?" I asked as I sat crisscrossed on the bed, "I don't think anyone knows. Here we go. Hungry?" Milo asked me, "No thanks. But how far down is it to this fast lane?" I really wasn't all that hungry, being separated with Theta and not able to connect with him left my stomach unsettled. "Oh, it's right at the bottom, underneath the traffic jam. But not many people can afford three passengers, so it's empty down there. Rumour has it you can reach up to thirty miles per hour."

"Wow. That's, like, crazy. But how are you supposed to live inside this thing? It's tiny." I spoke looking around, I'm definitely more used to a bigger space. "Oh, we stocked up. Got self-replicating fuel, muscle stimulants for exercise, and there's a chemical toilet at the back. And all waste products are recycled as food." Yep, I'm definitely glad I didn't grab a biscuit earlier.

"Oh, another gap. This is brilliant."

"Car sign in."

"Car Four Six Five Diamond Six, on descent to fast lane, thank you very much."

"Please drive safely."

╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲

The Doctor hacks into the communications system, "I need to talk to the police." He speaks into the computer, "Thank you for your call. You have been placed on hold." It's automatic response came through, "But you're the police." The Doctor huffed angrily, he was seriously getting irritated with everyone. "Thank you for your call. You have been placed on hold."

"Is there anyone else? I once met the Duke of Manhattan. Is there any way of getting through to him?"

"Oh now, ain't you lordly?"

"I've got to find my friend."

"You can't make outside calls. The motorway's completely enclosed." Valerie explained it, "What about the other cars?" Martha causing the Doctor to nod, "Oh, we've got contact with them, yeah. Well, some of them, anyway. They've got to be on your friends list. Now, let's see. Who's nearby? Ah, the Cassini sisters!" The screen shows a picture of two older women and a number, 3-1-7-a-1. "Still your hearts, my handsome girls. It's Brannigan here."

"Get off the line, Brannigan. You're a pest and a menace." One of the women complained causing The Doctor to snort. "Oh, come on, now, sisters. Is that any way to talk to an old friend?" He tried but they just glared harshly at him, "You know full well We're not sisters. We're married." Martha raised an eyebrow but no one complained. "Ooo, stop that modern talk. I'm an old-fashioned cat. Now, I've got two hitchhikers here, calls himself the Doctor and this is his friend Martha."

"Hello. Sorry. I'm looking for my wife, she's called Kate. She's been carjacked. She's inside one of these vehicles, but I don't know which one." May puts down her knitting and picks up a large book. "Wait a minute. Could I ask, what entrance did they use?" She asked causing the Doctor to look towards Bran. "Where were we?" He asked, "Pharmacy Town." The Doctor nodded, "Pharmacy Town. About twenty minutes ago."

"Let's have a look."

"Just my luck to marry a car-spotter."

"In the last half hour, fifty three new cars joined from the Pharmacy Town junction."

"Anything more specific?" The Doctor asked causing May to roll her eyes, "All in good time. Was she car-jacked by two people?" May asked him as his eyes seemed to darken again, "Yes, she was, yeah." He nodded back, "There we are. Just one of those cars was destined for the fast lane. That means they had three on board. And car number is four six five diamond six." The Doctor nodded immensely as his eyes went wider. "That's it! So how do we find them?" The Doctor rushed out as Martha watched with a small smile. She thought it was cute that he cared so much but at the same time she was worried. "Ah. Now there I'm afraid I can't help."

"Call them on this thing. We've got their number. Diamond six."

"But not if they're designated fast lane. It's a different class."

"You could try the police."

"They put me on hold."

"You'll have to keep trying. There's no one else."

"Thank you."

╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲

We are still heading downwards, I'm not exactly sure what was happening around us but I didn't have a good feeling about this. "See? Another ten layers to go. We're scorching." A distant growling sound, "What's that? It's coming from underneath." I asked holding myself closer, "It's that noise, doesn't it? It's like Kate said. Not you but our Kate. The stories, they're true." Cheen explained to me. "What stories?" I frowned back at her, "It's the sound of the air vents. That's all. The exhaust fumes travel down, so at the base of the tunnel they've got air vents."

"No, but the stories are much better. They say people go missing on the motorway. Some cars just vanish, never to be seen again, because there's something living down there in the smoke. Something huge and hungry. And if you get lost on the road, it's waiting for you." A distant roar sounded, "But like I said. Air vents. Going down to the next layer."

"Except look out there. Does it look like the air vents are working?"

"No."

"So what's that, then?"

"Nah. Kid stuff. Car four six five diamond six, on descent."

╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲

"We've got to go to the fast lane. Take me down. You have enough people." The Doctor demanded, "Not a million years." Bran shook his head in denial, "You've got four passengers." He pointed to each and everyone of the people in the car. "I'm still not going." Bran shook his as the women watched the two men. "She's alone and she's lost. She pregnant with my child and She doesn't belong on this planet, and it's all my fault. I'm asking you, Brannigan, take me down."

"That's a no. And that's final. I'm not risking the children down there." Valerie snapped, "Why not? What's the risk? What happened down there?" Martha asked before Valerie spoke again irritated. "We're not discussing it. The conversation is closed." She turned back around, "So we keep on driving."

"Yes, we do."

"For how long?"

"Till the journey's end."

The Doctor grabs the radio handset, "Mrs Cassini, this is the Doctor. Tell me, how long have you been driving on the motorway?" He asked her over the comm, "Oh, we were amongst the first. It's been twenty three years now." The two women smiled happily at one another. "And in all that time, have you ever seen a police car?" The Doctor asked them causing them to pause for a moment.

"I'm not sure." May frowned in thought, "Look at your notes. Any police?" She begins looking through her notes, "Not as such." She uttered with a deep frown, "Or an ambulance?  Rescue service? Anything official. Ever." The Doctor made a serious and real point. "I can't keep a note of everything." She answered back with a slight irritated glare. "What if there's no one out there?" Brannigan snatches the mike back. "Stop it. The Cassinis were doing you a favour."

"Someone's got to ask, because you might not talk about it, but it's there in your eyes. What if the traffic jam never stops?" The Doctor was practically begging at the time, "There's a whole city above us. The mighty city state of New New York. They wouldn't just leave us." Bran tried to reason out of his own beliefs. "In that case, where are they, hmm? What if there's no help coming, not ever? What if there's nothing? Just the motorway, with the cars going round and round and round and round, never stopping. Forever."

"Shut up! Just shut up!"

"This is Sally Calypso, and it's that time again. The sun is blazing high in the sky over the New Atlantic, the perfect setting for the daily contemplation."

"You think you know us so well, Doctor. But we're not abandoned. Not while we have each other."

"This is for all of you out there on the roads. We're so sorry. Drive safe."

"On a hill, far away, stood an old, rugged cross, the emblem of suffering and shame. And I love that old cross, where the dearest and best for a world of lost sinners was slain. So I'll cherish the old rugged cross, till my trophies at last I lay down. I will cling to the old rugged cross, and exchange it some day for a crown." Everyone on the motorway joins in, including Martha, but excluding the Doctor and Kate.

╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲

"Fast lane access. Please drive safely."

"We made it. The fast lane." We head down and along the empty fast lane, level 50.

╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲

"If you won't take me, I'll go down on my own." The Doctor snapped angrily, "What do you think you're doing?" Bran asked shocked, "Finding my own way. I usually do." The Doctor sonics open a trapdoor in the floor of the car.

"Capsule open."

A car stops directly beneath them, "Here we go." He throws his coat to Martha who looks in confusion. "Look after this. I love that coat. Janis Joplin gave me that coat."

"But you can't jump."

"If it's any consolation, Valerie, right now, I'm having kittens."

"This Kate. She must mean an awful lot to you." Bran watched as his eyes seemed to light up before turning sad again. "I was too busy showing off. And I lied to her. Couldn't help it, just lied. Bye then. Stay Martha." The Doctor drops onto the roof of the car below, Martha watched patiently in the car. "He's completely insane!" Valerie yelled in shock as Martha nodded with a smile. "That, and a bit magnificent!"

The Doctor sonics open the roof hatch and drops in on a man with very pale skin, wearing a white suit.

"Capsule open."

"Who the hell are you?" A man snaps angrily, "Sorry, Motorway Foot Patrol. I'm doing a survey. How are you enjoying your motorway?" The Doctor asked as he continued on his mission. "Well, not very much. Junction Five's been closed for three years." The man complained, "Thank you. Your comments have been noted. Have a nice day!" He opens the floor hatch and hangs there until the next car stops underneath him.

"Capsule open."

This one has two young Asian women in it. He passes straight through.

"Capsule open."

"Thank you for your cooperation. Your comments have been noted. Do you mind if I borrow this?" He picks up a small blue headscarf and uses it as a mask. "Not my colour, but thank you very much."

"Capsule open."

"Ooo! Don't mind me."

"Capsule open."

And so on.

╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲

"Try again." Milo taps Exit 1 on the monitor, "Brooklyn turnoff one, closed." The computer replied, "Try the next one." I demanded, "Brooklyn turnoff two, closed."

"What do we do?"

"We'll keep going round. We'll do the whole loop, and by the time we come back round, they'll be open.
Growl, shudder. "You're still calling that air vents?" I snapped angrily with a glare, "What else could it be?" Milo snapped back at me. "What the hell is that?" Cheen asked in her own horror, "It's just the hydraulics." Milo tried to deny, I leaned down with a dark look. "It sounds like it's alive." I huddled in anger, "It's all exhaust fumes out there. Nothing could breathe in that."

"Calling Car four six five diamond six. Repeat, calling Car four six five diamond six."

"This is Car four six five diamond six. Who's that? Where are you?"

Javit looks like a black poodle. She has two pale girls with her, "I'm in the fast lane, about fifty yards behind. Can you get back up? Can you get off the fast lane?" Javit asked, "We only have permission to go down. We need" Something is hitting the car, "The Brooklyn Flyover."

"It's closed. Go back up."

"We can't. We'll just go round."

"Don't you understand? They're closed. They're always closed. We're stuck down here, and there's something else out there in the fog. Can't you hear it?" Big roar and my heart pounding was all I could hear. "That's the air vents." Milo laughed, "Jehovah, what are you? Some stupid kid? Get out of here!" Big thump, the car tilts sideways. "What was that?"

"I can't move! They've got us!"

"But what's happening?"

"What's got you? What is it?"

"Hang on. It's here. Just drive, you idiots! Get out of here!"

"Can you hear me? Hello?" He tried to call through the car, "Just drive! Do what she said. Get us out of here!" I shouted at him as I placed my hand on his shoulder. "But where?" He asked me back with wide eyes, "Just straight ahead. And fast!" I snapped in anger and panic, "What is it? What's out there? What is it?"

╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲

Bowler hat and pinstripe suit, "Capsule open." The Doctor drops in. "Excuse me, is that legal?"

"Sorry, Motorway Foot Patrol. Whatever. Have you got any water?" The Doctor asked out of breath, "Certainly. Never let it be said I've lost my manners." He gives the Doctor a tiny cone of water. "Is this the last layer?" He asked after gulping down the water. "We're right at the bottom. Nothing below us but the fast lane."

"Can we drive down?"

"There's only two of us. You need three to go down."

"Couldn't we just cheat?" The Doctor asked with a frown. "Well, I'd love to, but it's an automated system. The wheel would lock." Gent explained, "Then excuse me." The Doctor starts to open the floor hatch. "You can't jump. It's a thousand feet down." Gent told him in panic and horror, "No, I just want to look." Growl! "What's that noise?"

"I try not to think about it."

"What are those lights? What's down there? I just need to see." The Doctor sonics the car computer, "There must be some sort of ventilation. If I could just transmit a pulse through this thing, maybe I could trip the system, give us a bit of a breeze." The Doctor is connecting wires, "That's it! Might shift the fumes a bit, give us a good look." Gent frowns looking through the car windows in horror. "What are those shapes?"

"They're alive." Giant claws snap up at them, "What the hell are they?"

"Macra."

╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲

Something hits the car causing me to put my shield up again, "Go faster!" Both Cheen and I shouted, "I'm at top speed!" The car is weaving through the grabbing claws.

"No access above."

"But this is an emergency!"

"Thank you for your call. You have been placed on hold."

"Turn everything off." I demand, "You've got to be joking." Milo demanded back in shock. "But listen, it's all fog out there, so how can they see us? Maybe it's the engines, the sound, or the heat, or the light." My eyes widened as I finally got a glimpse of one out in the fog. "Turn everything off. They might not be able to find us." I explained to him, "What if you're wrong?"

"It can't be worse than this! Just do it!" The car goes dark, and outside goes quiet. "They've stopped." Cheen started in shock, "Yeah, but they're still out there." Milo gripped her hand tightly. "How did you think of that?" He asked me with a shocked look, "I know what they are, let's just say they aren't nice when they know your there."

"Well, you'd better think of something, because we've lost the aircon. If we don't switch the engines back on, we won't be able to breathe."

"How long have we got?"

"Eight minutes, maximum."

╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲

"The Macra used to be the scourge of this galaxy. Gas. They fed off gas, the filthier the better. They built up a small empire using humans as slaves and mining gas for food." The Doctor explained to Gent, "They don't exactly look like empire builders to me." He scoffed with a raised eyebrow, "Well, that was billions of years ago. Billions. They must have devolved down the years. Now they're just beasts. But they're still hungry and my wife's down there." A clang on the roof.

"Oh, it's like New Times Square in here, for goodness's sake!" Hame drops in, "I've invented a sport." The Doctor chuckled at his own joke. "Doctor, you're a hard man to find." Hame told him with a frown as she eyed him up and down, "No guns. I'm not having guns." Gent told her spotting the gun in her hand. "I only brought this in case of pirates. Doctor, you've got to come with me."

"Do I know you?"

"You haven't aged at all. Time has been less kind to me."

"Novice Hame! No, hold on, get off. Last time we met, you were breeding humans for experimentation." The Doctor glared suddenly at the memory. "I've sought forgiveness, Doctor, for so many years, under his guidance. And if you come with me, I might finally be able to redeem myself." She explained herself, "I'm not going anywhere. You've got Macra living underneath this city. Macra! And if my Kate's still alive, she's stuck down there." The Doctors eyes turned dark but it didn't seem to scare her. "You've got to come with me right now."

"No, no, no, you're coming with me. We've got three passengers now."

"I'm sorry, Doctor. But the situation is even worse than you can imagine." Hame grabs the Doctor's wrist, "Transport." The Doctor tries to pull his hand away. "Don't you dare! Don't you dare!" They beam away. The City gent is left alone.

Hame and the Doctor pick themselves up from the rubbish-strewn floor. "Oh! Rough teleport. Ow. You can go straight back down and teleport people out, starting with Kate." Hame frowned remembering the women but still shook her head. "I only had the power for one trip." He turned even more angry, "Then get some more! Where are we?" He asked looking around after getting distracted. "High above, in the over-city." She explained to him, "Good. Because you can tell the Senate of New New York I'd like a word. They have got thousands of people trapped on the motorway. Millions!"

"But you're inside the Senate, right now. May the goddess Santori bless them." Hame uses her teleport bracelet to turn on the lights. The senate is populated by skeletons, "They died, Doctor. The city died." She spoke sadly as he looked around, "How long's it been like this?" He asked back. "Twenty four years."

"All of them? Everyone? What happened?"

"A new chemical. A new mood. They called it Bliss. Everyone tried it. They couldn't stop. A virus mutated inside the compound and became airborne. Everything perished. Even the virus, in the end. It killed the world in seven minutes flat. There was just enough time to close down the walkways and the flyovers, sealing off the under-city. Those people on the motorway aren't lost, Doctor. They were saved."

"So the whole thing down there is running on automatic."

"There's not enough power to get them out. We did all we could to stop the system from choking." Hame started to cry in sadness, "Who's we? How did you survive?" The Doctor questions with a frown, "He protected me. And he has waited for you, these long years."

"Doctor."

"The Face of Boe!"

"I knew you would come."

"Back in the old days, I was made his nurse as penance for my sin."

"Old friend, what happened to you?"

"Failing." Boe responded, "He protected me from the virus by shrouding me in his smoke. But with no one to maintain it, the City's power died. The under-city would have fallen into the sea."

"So he saved them." The Doctor nodded with a gentle smile, "The Face of Boe wired himself into the mainframe. He's giving his life force just to keep things running." Hame explained sadly causing the Doctor to become sad as well. "But there are planets out there. You could have called for help." He pointed out, "The last act of the Senate was to declare New Earth unsafe. The automatic quarantine lasts for one hundred years." She explained to him, "So the two of you stayed here, on your own for all these years."

"We had no choice."

"Yes, you did."

"Save them, Doctor. Save them."

╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲

"How much air's left?" Cheen asked her husband, "Two minutes." He responded causing me to sit down slowly in slight shock "There's always the Doctor. That husband of mine. He might think of something." I told them with a gentle smile on my face. "Kate, no one's coming." Milo rolled his eyes at me, "He looked kind of nice." Cheen smiled gently at me. "He's a bit more than that." I chuckled, "Are you and him happy." I shrugged gently, "Sometimes I think he likes me, but sometimes I just think he needs someone with him." I was speaking the truth, I couldn't understand him much anymore.

I thought after the war everything would go back to normal but sometimes even before I wonder if I ever truly knew him at all.

"I never even asked. Where's home?" Milo asked me, "It's a long way away. I didn't really think. I just followed him. I don't regret it though, I'm always home with him." I smiled at the thought as I rubbed my stomach, "So, er, who is he, then, this Doctor?" I didn't answer but just gave them a gentle smile. "But that means that the only hope right now is a complete stranger. Well, that's no use."

"It is, though, because you haven't seen the things he can do. Honestly, just trust me, both of you. You've got your faith, you've got your songs and your hymns, and I've got him. The man I love more than anything in this world. The father of my child, so if there's one thing I know for certain in this damned world. He's coming."

"Right." Milo turns the car back on, "Systems back online." The computer rebooted, "Good luck." Milo looked back towards me, "And you." They fly off again through the snatching claws.

╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲

The Doctor has got a computer working, "Car four six five diamond six. It still registers! That's Kate. I knew she was good. Novice Hame, hold that in place. Think, think, think, think. Take the residual energy, invert it, feed it through the electricity grid." Hame shook her head, "There isn't enough power." She told him with a worried look. "Oh, you've got power. You've got me. I'm brilliant with computers, just you watch. Hame, every switch on that bank up to maximum. I can't power up the city, but all the city needs is people."

"So what are you going to do?"

"This!" He throws a big switch and the lights go out, "No, no, no, no, no, no, no." Milo's car is grabbed by a claw, I scream as we are beginning to crunch in. Placing a hand over my stomach tears gather in my eyes as I silently pray to the man I loved even if he wasn't picking up my connection. Another one knocks it free again, "The transformers are blocked. The signal can't get through."

"Doctor."

"Yeah, hold on, not now."

"I give you my last!" Breath. The power comes back to the computer, "Hame, look after him. Don't you go dying on me, you big old face. You've got to see this. The open road. Ha!"

╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲

Clanging sounds, "What in Jehovah was that?"

"It's coming from above!"

"What is it? What's happening?!" Brannigan looks out through the roof hatch, "By all the cats in the kingdom!" The roof over the motorway starts to open, "What is it?" Daylight streams in, "What is it?" The travellers all start to laugh. "Yes!"

"It's the sun! Oh, Brannigan. Children, it's the sunlight." Valerie cried happily, "Sorry, no Sally Calypso. She was just a hologram. My name's the Doctor." The Doctor spoke over the computer screen, "He's a magician." Bran cried happily as he hugged his wife. "And this is an order. Everyone drive up. Right now." The Doctor demanded, "Is he serious?" Bran asked in shock, "I've opened the roof of the motorway. Come on. Throttle those engines. Drive up. All of you. The whole under-city. Drive up, drive up, drive up! Fast!"

"Here we go."

"We've got to clear that fast lane. Drive up and get out of the way. Oi! Car four six five diamond six. Kate, my love!Drive up!" Theta called to us, to me. I laughed with tears in my eyes, "That's him! That's my husband!" I cried happily, "We can't go up! We'll hit the layer!" Milo cried out, "Just do as he says! Go up!" I snapped angrily. "You've got access above. Now go!" Milo steers the car up out of the reach of the Macra. "It's daylight. Oh my God, that's the sky. The real sky."

"He did it! I told you, he did it!"

╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲

"Did I tell you, Doctor? You're not bad, sir. You're not bad at all! Oh, yee-hah!"

╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲

Hame is tending to the Face of Boe while Martha stands beside her watching after being dropped off herself. "You keep driving, Brannigan. All the way up. Because it's here, just waiting for you. The city of New New York, and it's yours. And don't forget I want that coat back." The Doctor laughed happily, "I reckon that's a fair bar gain, sir." Bran responded over the comm, "And Car four six five diamond six, I've sent you a flight path. Come to the Senate." The Doctor was happy to see his Kate, oh how he couldn't wait to hold her tightly and feel his lover. "On my way." Kate responded, "It's been quite a while since I saw you, my love." He uttered.

"Doctor!" A big crack is spreading across Boe's tank.

A little later, Kate runs in and sees all the skeletons.

Theta immediately rushed to pull me into a deep hug as Martha watched behind him with a gentle smile. "D! What happened out there?" The Face of Boe is out of his tank, I rushed forward to him. "My lord gave his life to save the city, and now he's dying." A cat nurse sadly cried, "No, don't say that. Not old Boe. Plenty of life left." I teared up sadly as he smiled gently at me.

"It's good to breathe the air once more." Boe chuckled at me, "Who is he to you?" Martha asked us as Theta frowned. "I don't even know. Legend says the Face of Boe has lived for billions of years. Isn't that right? And you're not about to give up now." Theta smiled as he sat next to me in front of our old friend. "Everything has its time. You know that, old friend, better than most."

"The legend says more."

"Don't. There's no need for that."

"It says that the Face of Boe will speak his final secret to traveler's."

"Yeah, but not yet. Who needs secrets, eh?" Theta spoke with a dry laugh.

"I have seen so much. Perhaps too much. I am the last of my kind, as you are the last of yours, Kate. Doctor." He spoke gently, "That's why we have to survive. All of us. Don't go" I begged sadly as I place a hand on his face. I didn't want my friend to die, not like this. "I must. But know this, Time Lords. You are not alone." Boe breathes out for one last time, and closes his eyes. The cat nurse weeps with me as Theta pulls me close to his chest. I cry out in sadness as I hug his face one more time, after all he was one of my bestfriends.

╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲

A little bit later we were back where we started, Theta had yet to let go of me but I wasn't complaining at all. "All closed down." He uttered, "Happy?" Martha asked with a raised eyebrow, they both seemed to know something I didn't. "Happy happy. New New York can start again. And they've got Novice Hame. Just what every city needs. Cats in charge. Come on, time we were off." He pulls me towards our home, only to pause when Martha spoke up from behind us. "But what did he mean, the Face of Boe? You're not alone."

"I don't know."

"You've got me. Is that what he meant?"

"I don't think so. Sorry."

"Then what?"

"Doesn't matter. Back to the Tardis, off we go." Martha straightens up a chair and sits down, arms and legs crossed. "All right, are you staying?" He asked, his voice becoming annoyed but she didn't seem to care. "Till you talk to me properly, yes. He said last of your kind. What does that mean?" She demanded as he glared at her, "It really doesn't matter." He snapped causing me to place a hand on his arm to try and calm him down. Today had been a long day and I knew this was hard for him.

"You don't talk. You never say. Why not?"

"Fast falls the eventide."

"It's the city."

"The darkness deepens"

"They're singing."

"Lord, with me abide. When other helpers fail."

"I lied to you, because I liked it. I could pretend. Just for a bit, I could imagine they were still alive, underneath a burnt orange sky. I'm not just a Time Lord or her a Queen. We're the last of the Time Lords and she is our surviving Queen. Our planets only hope would rest in the balance of our children. The Face of Boe was wrong. There's no one else." Theta explained sadly as he placed a chair down across from her and pulled me into his lap making sure to put his hand on my stomach.

"What happened?"

"Swift to its close ebbs out life's little day."

"There was a war. A Time War. The last Great Time War. Our people fought a race called the Daleks, for the sake of all creation. For the sake of her, she was our future." He spoke gently placing a kiss on my forehead causing me to hum. "And they lost. They lost. Everyone lost. They're all gone now. My family, my friends, even that sky. Oh, you should have seen it, that old planet. The second sun would rise in the south, and the mountains would shine. The leaves on the trees were silver, and when they caught the light every morning, it looked like a forest on fire. When the autumn came, the breeze would blow through the branches like a song."

Kate had fallen asleep against him causing him to smile gently before picking her up as he and Martha headed inside. "She'll show you to your room for now. Kate needs rest so we'll see you when she wakes." Martha nodded as she watched him leave the console room with Kate in his arms. "He really loves her then." She muttered as the Tardis hummed, she really was trying to get over her feelings. It was hard though, since the Doctor was the Doctor but Martha had no plans on being a home wrecker.

Placing Kate in bed he gently kissed her forehead only to pause in realization. His eyes went wide as he finally felt the walled up connection, he grunted at his own stupidity. Of course she was quiet and hadn't said anything, his had placed his mental shields up when they were arguing in the beginning all because he didn't want her to know about how he truly felt about Rose.

He didn't want his love to know that he absolutely loathed her. He hated Rose with a passion, but he wanted to let Kate know that he was still kind. He wanted to be the good guy in her eyes so when she was talking about Rose and thinking that he loved her, he almost snapped.

Then she was taken and he was more worried about getting her back into his arms then the mental connection.

All he wanted was to be her hero, the man she loved wholeheartedly and didn't feel the need to feel so damn insecure about everything. It just didn't seem to be working out that way, maybe if he pretends to mourn for Rose then maybe Kate will become stronger in her own way. That's who she was, Kate had always been the type to become stronger by competing. She became better by being herself, even if she was jealous.

Oh how he found it attractive, he loved every version of her to be jealous. He never knew why but it always did something to him.

Either way though, he needed to make sure Kate knew just how much he loved her.

Slipping in bed next to her, he pulled her close giving her one last kiss before closing his eyes and dropping his walls.

"I love you so much, my Nora."

●▬▬▬▬▬๑⇩⇩๑▬▬▬▬▬●

9,077 Words

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42.1K 197 19
Welcome to another book! If I leave notes at the end of chapters read them! SMUT WARNING THIS BOOK HAS SMUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yeah that's it bye bye
107K 2.3K 19
This is exactly what it says. One shots of you and the Doctor!! Warning: extreme feels I may also do some Whoffle or TenRose in there too. It's all j...
3.9K 148 37
ninerose tenrose elevenrose twelverose thirteenrose fourteenrose (coming soon;)
11K 312 22
its in the title. Requests are open