THE NORTHERN CRUSADE

By Saptaswapal

The North has always endured. They had survived the Long Night, they had resisted the might of the Andals. Th... More

WINTER IS COMING
THE BANNERS OF WINTERFELL
MOAT CAILIN
THE FINAL PREPARATIONS
BATTLE OF GREEN FORK & WHISPERING WOODS
AFTERMATH
THE NEXT MOVE
INTERLUDE- 1
THE YOUNG WOLF STRIKES AGAIN
FALL OF THE GOLDEN TOOTH
THE KINGS OF THE SOUTH
ROBB STARK'S INVASION OF THE WESTERLANDS
INTERLUDE- 2
THE CHANGE OF TIDE- PART 2: BATTLE OF BLACKWATER
THE CHANGE OF TIDE- PART 3: SIEGE OF LANNISPORT AND CASTERLY ROCK
THE CHANGE OF TIDE- PART 4
FURTHER PLANNING
INTERLUDE- 3
THE REACH CAMPAIGN
BATTLE OF OLD TOWN
YOU ARE A GREYJOY AND YOU ARE A STARK
THE SOUTHERN PRINCESS
THE END IS NEAR
THE PLAYERS (BIOGRAPHY)
THE END IS NEAR: PART 2
THE END IS NEAR: PART 3
PRELUDE TO BATTLE
BATLLE OF GODS EYE: PART 1
THE BATTLE OF GODS EYE: PART 2
BATTLE OF GODS EYE: PART 3
CONCLUSION
PEACE AND WAR
THE CITY OF KINGS
THE OFFER
THE FALL OF THE CAPITAL
INVITATIONS AND CONFESSIONS
JUDGEMENTS
CHANGES AT COURT
THE HIGH COUNCIL
THE WALL
BATTLE OF THE WALL
TREATY

THE CHANGE OF TIDE- PART 1

916 11 1
By Saptaswapal

I am really sorry for this late update. My Grandfather has fallen terrible ill and had to be hospitalised immediately. And there is a chance that he might not make it. I was not in the right mind to right a chapter but for you guys I tried and here it is.

Again I am terrible sorry for this late update and I hope you all forgive me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

229 AC

WESTERLANDS

THE CRAG

ROBB STARK

Robb couldn't help but curse his luck. He was so close, so close to victory, and now it seems very far away.

He looked at his assembled lords who were all shouting and arguing among themselves on what to do, with the exception of Lord Bolton and his uncle Benjen.

He closed his eyes and thought of the events of the last month that had led him to this situation.

After sacking Ashemark and Sarsfield, Robb had captured the castles of Crakehall and Clegane's Keep in quick succession before marching towards the coast to capture the half ruined castle of Crag, the ancient seat of House Westerling.

The Westerlings, lacking the necessary manpower to defend the castle surrendered willingly. No wonder as they have all heard how Robb dealt with those who resist.

While the Westerlings were not a particularly wealthy family, as their gold mines have dried years ago, they still have an abundance of food and medicine, which his army clearly needed.

He didn't have to sack the castle, as the Westerlings graciously offered their supply to Robb as tribute and in return the surrendered family were treated fairly and with respect. He have also promised Lady Jeyne Westerling that he will free her father Ser Raynald Westerling, The Lord Of Crag who was captured at the Battle Of Whispering Woods alongside Ser Jaime, once the war is over.

It was at this castle that Robb had received a letter from his mother who had arrived at Riverrun from her Journey to the Bitterbridge.

Renly Baratheon, the King of Stromlands and Reach, is dead. And the nature of his death is even more confusing. His mother had written that Renly has been killed by a shadow demon with the face of Stannis Baratheon.

If you had asked him a few months earlier Robb would had laughed at the stupidity of this statement. But after seeing visions of a long dead person and him seeing things from the eyes of Grey Wind, he couldn't be sure.

With Renly dead the Lords of the Stromlands have bent the knee to Stannis Baratheon and joined his forces, swelling his numbers from mere 5000 to 35,000 men.

That is not the end though, he had received another raven, this time from White Harbour in the North.

It says that Balon Greyjoy has declared himself The King Of The Iron Islands and is now preparing his Longships, no doubt for an attack, but an attack on where he doesn't know.

Robb didn't fear the Iron Born, if the pirates try to attack the North they have to first go through the formidable Northern Navy and if by some luck they manage to land in the North, Ser Rodrik Cassel and his forces with stop them dead in their tracks. The Iron Born were excellent sailors and reavers but their strength comes from sea, in land they were easy pickings for the disciplined armies of Westeros.

But now with the threat of an Iron Born attack on his home, Robb cannot utilise the Northern fleet to lay siege on Casterly Rock. As he had no doubt the moment the Northern Navy leaves the North the Greyjoys will pounce on the opportunity.

"We must attack the Rock immediately" The Greatjon thundered in his usual booming voice, silencing everyone in the room "we cannot turn our backs from our prize, now we are so close to our victory"

"Don't say such foolish things Jon" His uncle Benjen, who has returned from his raiding along the western coast, scolded the Lord of the Last Hearth "We have only 20,000 men with us, too few to take the Rock by storm, we will all die an unnecessary death".

"And without ships we cannot lay a proper siege" Lord Glover said grimly.

"My father Cregan Seastark have written that he cannot send ships without leaving the North defenceless from an Iron Born attack" His cousin Wulfric said "Longships have been spotted entering the Bay of seals and the waters of Bear Island, they are probing our defences to find weakness and only thing that is keeping them at bay is the threat of the Northern fleet" The Heir to Wolf's Den finished his report.

"Bloody Greyjoys" "Filthy Pirates" "Iron Born scum" The lords cursed.

Robb could see that Theon had stiffened from the various insults that are flunged towards his family, but the Heir of the Iron Islands made no move to defend his family.

And why should he, his father have technically abandoned him. Balon knows full well that if he attacked the North, Theon's life would be forfeited immediately. But even then he is still risking the life of his last remaining son, his heir. And all that made Theon despise Balon even more.

Robb looked at the map before closing his eyes thinking "We cannot siege Casterly Rock without ships nor can we attack it directly by land" he thought before an idea slowly formed in his head "but what if we attempt a surprise attack, a diversion"

He looked at Ser Patrek Mallister a member of his royal guard "Patrek, how many ships does your father have at Seagard?"

The son of Lord Jason Mallister and heir to Seagard looked thoughtful. "The ships of Seagard are used to repel the ironborn from our shores. Two war galleys and half a dozen longships. I could send a raven to my father to have them sent down to us and we can use them to sail."

The other lords nodded their approval at that, but his uncle Benjen was wary. "Lannisport is the port of the Lannister's fleet. The ships will not be enough."

Roose looked up. "Our men are not enough. Lannisport is defended by 3,000 Red cloaks of Lannisport City Watch, they are some of the finest soldiers in the realm. The Rock itself is defended by more than 2,000 men. We may outnumber them but the high walls of the Rock and Lannisport will make all the difference"

"We should head back east and take more castles and gold mines. We can use their own gold to hire sellswords and Sellsails from Essos before marching on Casterly Rock and Lannisport" Lord Karstark said.

The Greatjon scowled. "We Northmen are twice the warriors these southron soldiers are. I say, march. Let them see the power of the North with their own fucking eyes. Take them both at once, Your Grace!"

Robb closed his eyes. A plan was slowly starting to take place in his mind. A two-front war they cannot win. Tywin Lannister knows it. Take Lannisport from the sea... "Perhaps a diversion is necessary. Patrek, how soon can the ships sail to Lannisport?"

The Heir to Seagard thought a moment. "Six days, Your Grace. Five with the wind."

Robb nodded. "Alright, my lords. Here's what we shall do." Robb explained the plan for the next hour, feeling more and more confident as he talked. He could see the confidence reflected in his men's faces too as they nodded along.

"And then we shall have Casterly Rock and Tywin Lannister on his knees!" finished Robb. The men gave a cheer and rousing rendition of "The King In The North!" "The King In The Trident!" At last, the cheers quieted, and Robb dismissed them, hoping to get some sleep himself.

He went out the tent when his cousin walked in.

"What is it, Wulfric?"

"Robb, there's been a message from the east. Tywin Lannister has left Harrenhal." "He's coming for us. But How Uncle Brynden and an army of 12,000 is guarding the ford with another 8,000 under Edmure is at Riverrun" Robb thought confused "Have he found a way to bypass the fords and Riverrun the same way I cross the Golden Tooth, if he catches us between the Rock and him"

"Don't worry. He's not coming for us" Wulfric said seeing the distress on his cousin's face.

"Well that's a shame and here I was hoping that the great Tywin Lannister will be brave enough to cross the Trident" Robb said sarcastically but he knows that Old Lion was not stupid to cross the Trident when he knows that he was outnumbered in "Where is he then?" He asked.

"He's marched on King's Landing. The Imp held the capital against Stannis Baratheon, but Tywin's army joined forces with the Tyrells' and they sailed down the river to take Stannis in the rear at the Battle of the Blackwater."

"Stannis is dead?"

"All reports says so" Wulfric said "Even though the battle was lost Stannis fought to the last, rumours said it was Renly's ghost who slayed Stannis or perhaps someone wearing Renly's armour pretending to be him, either way it is confirmed that Stannis Baratheon is dead, with what remains of his forces have sailed back to Dragonstone".

Robb closed his eyes thinking "This is bad news, the Tyrell's alone can field an army of 100,000 strong maybe more and with the Stromlords bending their knee the Lannisters will soon have the largest army Westeros has ever seen".

"Robb" His cousin began looking him in the eye "From the time we marched out of Winterfell I have followed all your order no matter how risky and reckless they were. At Oxcross, at Riverrun at Ashemark but today I beg you, to reconsider the battle. We do not have the manpower to take Lannisport and Casterly Rock just yet. There is a great chance we will lose. Even if we win, Tywin Lannister will march here with an army of 100,000 men and kill us all" Robb can hear the tinge of fear in his cousin's voice. He wanted to do what his cousin had said, any rational man would. But he also had a duty as King In The North And Trident. "I cannot retreat. I cannot make my enemies to see me as a coward. If I ran today, I will be spitting at my ancestors and at the Stark name. For Father. For Mother. For Sansa and Arya. For Bran and Rickon. For the Men of North and Riverlands who have made me their King. I must go forward, not back"

"We will take the Rock, Lannisport, and cut off Lord Tywin's power. With the gold in Casterly Rock, we can buy swords. Forge new alliances. Take the fight to him". Robb said firmly, looking at his cousin.

Wilfric only smiled grimly, as if he expected Robb to say no to his words "I knew you would have said no regardless what I say to you".

"Then why did you even asked?" Robb raised an eyebrow.

"It never hurts to try" Wulfric smirked causing Robb to roll his eyes at his cousin's childish antics, before he surged forward and embraced him with all his might.

"Hey, let me go this instant" Wulfric struggled to free himself from his King's grasp but it was in vain. Wulfric was a head shorter that him and his head only reaches Robb chest, so he was easily kept in place.

"Shut up" Robb grumbled before tightening his embrace, causing his cousin to gasp for air.

They stayed in that position for a while before Robb let him go and looked at him in the eye "I know you are afraid but don't fear we will prevail, we Starks have always prevailed" He said looking at his cousin "Just have some faith in me."

Wulfric smiled "Always......brother" he nodded "After all We are the sons of North"

"The sons of North" Robb nodded before turning towards his army who are gathering their camps and supplies for their march.

Their next destination, the city of Lannisport and Casterly Rock.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

And Done!
So Robb and his men were preparing to attack Lannisport and Casterly Rock.

Balon Greyjoy have been declared King Of Iron Isle, but with Theon still a Stark prisoner and with the threat of Northern Navy, they haven't attacked the North. But with the Greyjoy threat Robb cannot use the Northern Fleet to Siege Casterly Rock, as it will leave the North unprotected.

Theon is now hating his family as his father has now abandoned him. And now he is a staunch Stark supporter and wouldn't betray Robb like he did in canon.

Next chapter covers the second part, The Battle Of Blackwater Bay.

If you liked this chapter don't forget to leave a comment because always remember reviews are food for writer's soul.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 28 5
It was running the year 303 AC. Rhaegar Targaryen, First of his name, King of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men sat on the Iron Throne for t...
247K 8.3K 117
𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐈𝐜𝐞 𝐃𝐫𝐚𝐠𝐨𝐧| ❝ 𝐅𝐢𝐫𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐲𝐞𝐬, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐈𝐜𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐝𝐬; 𝐬𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐠𝐞𝐭❞ In whi...
2.2K 18 11
This is the third and final instalment of The Warth Of Winter Series. If you haven't read the previous two, then go and read it first to avoid any co...
2.1K 64 7
Alysanne Stark is the daughter of Brandon Stark and Aemma Targaryen. Titled the Dragon of the North, the Rose White of Winterfell, the last Targaryen...