THE NORTHERN CRUSADE

By Saptaswapal

The North has always endured. They had survived the Long Night, they had resisted the might of the Andals. Th... More

WINTER IS COMING
THE BANNERS OF WINTERFELL
MOAT CAILIN
THE FINAL PREPARATIONS
BATTLE OF GREEN FORK & WHISPERING WOODS
AFTERMATH
THE NEXT MOVE
INTERLUDE- 1
FALL OF THE GOLDEN TOOTH
THE KINGS OF THE SOUTH
ROBB STARK'S INVASION OF THE WESTERLANDS
INTERLUDE- 2
THE CHANGE OF TIDE- PART 1
THE CHANGE OF TIDE- PART 2: BATTLE OF BLACKWATER
THE CHANGE OF TIDE- PART 3: SIEGE OF LANNISPORT AND CASTERLY ROCK
THE CHANGE OF TIDE- PART 4
FURTHER PLANNING
INTERLUDE- 3
THE REACH CAMPAIGN
BATTLE OF OLD TOWN
YOU ARE A GREYJOY AND YOU ARE A STARK
THE SOUTHERN PRINCESS
THE END IS NEAR
THE PLAYERS (BIOGRAPHY)
THE END IS NEAR: PART 2
THE END IS NEAR: PART 3
PRELUDE TO BATTLE
BATLLE OF GODS EYE: PART 1
THE BATTLE OF GODS EYE: PART 2
BATTLE OF GODS EYE: PART 3
CONCLUSION
PEACE AND WAR
THE CITY OF KINGS
THE OFFER
THE FALL OF THE CAPITAL
INVITATIONS AND CONFESSIONS
JUDGEMENTS
CHANGES AT COURT
THE HIGH COUNCIL
THE WALL
BATTLE OF THE WALL
TREATY

THE YOUNG WOLF STRIKES AGAIN

992 18 1
By Saptaswapal

TOTAL STARK ARMY- 32,800 men.

INFANTRY - 22,000 men.

CAVALRY - 10,800 men.

KING ROBB STARK - 22,000 men.

INFANTRY - 15,000 men.
CAVALRY - 7,000 men.

                          X
LORD JONOS  BRACKEN - 3000 men.

INFANTRY - 2,500 men
CAVALRY - 500 men.

                          X
LORD LUCAS  BLACKWOOD - 3,000 men.

INFANTRY - 2,500 men.
CAVALRY - 500 men.

                          X                        
SER BRYNDEN 'BLACKFISH'  TULLY - 3,000 men.

INFANTRY - 2,000 men
CAVALRY - 1,000 men.

                          X
LORD/SER JASON  MALLISTER - 1,000 men.

INFANTRY - 0.
CAVALRY - 1,000 men.

                          X
SER EDMURE TULLY - 800 men.

INFANTRY - 0.
CAVALRY - 800 men.
                      ---------x------

TOTAL LANNISTER ARMY- 40,000 men.

INFANTRY - 33,000 men.

CAVALRY - 7000 men.

LORD TYWIN LANNISTER - 28,000 men.

INFANTRY - 23,000 men.
CAVALRY - 5000 men.

                            X
SER STAFFORD LANNISTER - 12,000 men.

INFANTRY - 10,000 men.
CAVALRY - 2,000 men.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

299 AC

RIVERLANDS

NEAR THE GOLDEN TOOTH

ROBB  STARK

In the west, Robb Stark approached the Golden Tooth with his army. His scouts estimated that the castle was garrisoned with at least five hundred men many of whom were survivors from Jaime Lannister’s broken army.

The castle was not very large and would not normally present a difficult fight based on its size, except that the Tooth was practically built to stop a larger force. It sat perched on the top of a hill that overlooked the winding road below. An attack from the west would have been much easier. The only problem is Robb had no way to get to the west except through the Tooth.

While Robb can force his way through it will result in massive casualties, casualties he can not afford if he wanted to the the Lannister's ancestral home of Casterly Rock.

Robb needed to think so he, Wulfric, and Theon went riding among the hills near their camp. They were also accompanied by the now very large direwolf Grey Wind, who had now grown to be the size of a horse.

After his victory at the Camps, Robb had split his army into 5 hosts.  Ser Brynden, Lord Blackwood and Lord Bracken, each of them has a host number around 3,000 strong. Their task is to prevent Tywin's army from crossing the Trident and attack theirr army from the rear while they are in the Westerlands.

Lord Jason Mallister has about 1,000 men, all of them being cavalry. His task is to liberate the rest of the Riverlands that were still under the occupation of the Lannisters.

Robb has the remaining 22,000 men under his command, 15,000 on foot and the rest being mounted men. And now they were approaching the castle that guarded the domain of House Lannister.

The biggest problem was that the castle garrison knew that they were coming. Tywin had sent word to the Lannister forces in the Westerlands to prepare for a likely attack and Robb had been harried on his approach to the Tooth. He had not sustained much damage, but Tywin had been right in his prediction which took away any surprise entrance into the Westerlands.

“We could attempt to go further south and attack through Deep Den”. Wulfric suggested as they slowly rode through the grass.

“It would take too long to march further south. Our spies report that an army is indead gathering near Oxcross. Stafford Lannister will have more than ten thousand men in a moons turn. It is the same reason we cannot afford the time for a siege.” Robb countered.

Stafford was gathering an army from what was left of the men in the Westerlands. He had made his camp outside Oxcross so that he was more centrally located and could pull men from all corners of the Westerlands.

Robb had received word that many of these soldiers were old men and young boys. However, there were also sellswords and freeriders among them.

The longer Robb waited the more likely it was that Stafford would have an army that could reinforce the garrison at Casterly Rock and Lannisport, making it much more difficult if not impossible to take and they needed to take the Rock to break the Lannister power in the west.

Just as Theon was about to speak, he stopped, noticing that Greywind heading away from them smelling the ground.

“Where is your Direwolf off to?” Theon asked pointing at the grey direwolf as they went between two hills.

The group followed them and found what might have been the single most important trail in the whole war.

Robb looked at the trail in shock, before a cold smirk came to his face.

"Theon, Wulfric gather the lords we are having a war council in the next hour" He ordered.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

That night Robb was in the war tent having summoned his lords.

“Our scouts, that we sent down the trail report that it leads to the other side of the mountains into the Westerlands. My lords, it bypasses the Golden Tooth entirely.” Robb said with a smirk. His lords looked at him with the same blood thirsty smirk that matched his own.

“We should march through them immediately and attack the army at Oxcross" Greatjon spoke loudly.

“I agree with your idea in theory my lord but not in practice. We have a very large army and it only takes one raven to tell Casterly Rock that we are coming. The end of the trail is still a bottle neck and they could likely defend it if they knew we were coming” Benjen said deflating the lord’s excitement.

“However,” Robb began finishing what his uncle had started. “We can take our entire cavalry force, through the pass without them realizing we have moved our army. We leave the main force here, attack the army at Oxcross then wheel around and surround the Tooth. If they surrender, great. If they do not, we take it by force, the Keep can survive an attack from the east but from the west it will be relatively easy with a large enough force.” Robb finished. The lords had no questions, they were all ready tor the coming battle.

"Uncle, just like Green Fork, you will take command of our infantry and wait here" he ordered his Uncle who simple nodded in affirmation.

"My Lords, the Lannisters have burned Riverlands and massacred its people, my mother's people, and now we are going to pay the Westerlands tenfold for what they did to the Riverlands. We are going to prove that the  Lannister's aren't the only ones who pay their bloody debts" Robb said coldly "Today we shall attack the Lions where it hurts and after the battle we are going to feast on their corpses. Winter has come for House Lannister, and no amount of gold will save them".

The Lords cheered with excitement and bloodlust, and Robb smirked "Winter is coming Lord Tywin I hope you are prepared for It, because I certainly am".

That same day near sunset Robb lead his entire cavalry on the trail. The army outside the Tooth made no overt movements making it seem as though they were going to wait out the garrison inside. The forces within the Tooth never saw Robb back track with his cavalry force into the pass.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
WESTERLANDS

OXCROSS

He felt the ground beneath his feet, smelt the scent of man and horse in the air and above all else he heard the sound of two men talking. Sniffing the air, he moved forwards slowly and carefully, taking care to not make too much noise as he did.

"It's got to be the mountain. He's the biggest. He's the strongest." He heard one man say and he felt his ears perk up.

"Bulls are bigger than lions. Doesn't mean I'd pick a bull in a fight. If the bull had fangs and claws, I would." Another human spoke and he watched from the foliage he was hidden in as the man sat down by the other one. Both dressed in the armour of lions, he felt his teeth pull as a soft growl escaped his lips. "Right, the Mountain, or our man Jamie?"

"If he ever gets out." The man paused.

"Loras Tyrell?" The Tyrell's, they were allied with Renly last he checked, his mother should be meeting them soon.

"Loras Tyrell." A man scoffed. "He's prettier than the Queen."

"I don't care about pretty. He's better with a sword than any of them."

"How good can he be. He's been stabbing Renly Baratheon for years and Renly ain't dead." The man laughed and he moved forwards slowly, his presence noticed by the horses who neighed in panic.

Carefully, he slinked back away as one of the men placed down their drinks and rose, his hand resting on the handle of his blade.

"The horses seem a little spooked to you?" What followed was a joke of juvenile humour he'd expect from Theon and he moved forwards slowly as eventually, one guard didn't relax like the other. It seemed his presence was coming under greater suspicion as the guard cautiously moved forwards to his location.

Sensing that the time for action was closing, he anxiously moved forwards, his presence spooking the horses even further. Eventually it seemed the flimsy rope holding the horses in place couldn't hold under their constant bucking and so they broke free.

As they rushed round and galloped away from him, the Lannister guard released a shout of fear as he leapt at him, mouth agape before he bit into the mans neck. The blood in his mouth was sweet as he ripped the mans neck out before charging on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

'What was that.' Robb thought in shock as he found himself back on his horse surrounded by his detachment of horsemen. One moment he had closed his eyes, saying a silent prayer to the Old Gods and suddenly, he found himself at the front of the Lannister camp where the horses were being kept a sweet taste lingering on his lips. 'Was I…Grey Wind?'

It was a dark, moonless and rainy night. He had charged Grey Wind to lead them through the forest. The trusted direwolf was also in charge of spooking the horses of the green army, still training under Stafford Lannister, hoping to face a war they thought far from them.

But what he just felt, it wasn't natural. It was almost magical.

Normally Robb would have scoffed if someone had said, a few months ago,  that magic actually exist.

But now after meeting the 'Hungry Wolf' in his vision, and feeling Greywind's emotions and consciousness in his dreams, his view of entire world had changed.

"Your grace." Theon spoke from his side and Robb shook his head, it would not do to dwell on such things right now.

Drawing his sword, he urged his horse onwards, bellowing "For The North"

Smalljon beside him cried out, "The King In The North!"

"The King In The North!" It was a cry that was echoed by his men, at least 7,000 strong, as they descend down hill and onto the disarrayed Lannister camp.

The horses that had broke free and those his men had cut free had trampled through the camp, killing dozens and now he and his men descend upon them in the dead of night.

It was a slaughter, plain and simple.

Only about two thousand of the twelve thousand strong host were actually trained soldiers. The remaining ten thousand were all fresh recruits from the surrounding lands. Despite its large numbers, many weren't even trained soldiers and those that were, had already developed a hefty amount of fear for the Young Wolf and his army.

When they noticed the northern army rushing towards them and cutting through swaths of their fellow soldiers, the morale shattered near instantly. Some attempted to fight back, but they were quickly overwhelmed as the remaining men were quickly routed in short order.

He watched Greywind tore out an entire arm of a Lannister soldier who was no more older than him.

He killed another Westerland Knight who was foolish enough to challenge him.

He looked around the battlefield looking for the person he wanted to face, before his eyes caught a flash of crimson gold, in the pale light of the moon.

He instantly knew who he was. It was the same person he was searching for.

"Ser Stafford" he screamed in top of his voice, before galloping straight towards him.

Ser Stafford Lannister, Lord of Lannisport, Tywin Lannister's Goodbrother, and the commander of this Lannister army, looked about with wide eye as the Young Wolf himself came galloping towards him.

Stafford stalled his horse and prepared to fight for his life.

"Robb Stark, The young wolf himself" Stafford snapped.

Robb didn't said anything instead he slashed at his opponent which Ser Stafford blocked.

They both began to fight, slashing, parrying, hacking, blocking, thrusting and swiping at each other.

Robb is far better swordsman than his adversary having youth on his side as well as strength and experience.

Stafford landed a blow which Robb blocked with his shield before landing his own blow at Stafford's shield arm drawing blood, but the Lord Of Lannisport fought on regardless, Although his movements became a little sloppy due to his wound.

The fight continued, with all men nearby who were fighting now watching their fight instead. Robb urged his horse closer to Stafford, smashing his shield at him. Stafford nearly fell from his horse and fought to stay on. That was all that Robb needed, as the Young Wolf slashed his sword down onto Stafford's wrist, severing his sword hand.

Stafford yelled out in pain and Robb roared in bloodlust and satisfaction before drawing his sword over his left shoulder and slashing towards Stafford's  neck with all his might.

Robb watched with gleaming eyes as his opponents head flew off, blood trailing from the stump. The head landed with a dull thud as his lifeless body swayed, before dropping to the ground. A loud cheer went up among the Northmen, while the men of the Westerlands broke and began to flee, only to be brought down by the men of the North.

Robb looked around the battle which was now finally ending. He raised his sword and roared to the heavens.

"Victory"

His men cried along with him.

The battle was over. The last major Lannister presence in the Westerlands has been routed. And the door towards Lannisport and Casterly Rock has now been opened for them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

BATTLE OF OXCROSS :-

   COMBATANTS:-

House Stark - 7,000 men.
   Infantry :- 0.
   Cavalry:- 7,000 men.

                 VS

House Lannister- 12,000 men.
        Infantry- 10,000
         Cavalry- 2,000 men.

Result - Major Stark Victory. The last remaining army guarding the Westerlands eredicated. Death of Ser Stafford Lannister.

Casualties :-

House Stark- Less than 300 dead and injured (Minor).

House Lannister- More than 8,000 dead and wounded and the remaining men taken as prisoners. (Massive).

-----------------------------------------------------------------

And done!
So Robb won the Battle Of Oxcross and killed Ser Stafford in single combat.
I know in canon it was Rickard Karstark who killed Stafford but that was because of deaths of his sons and anger towards the Lannisters.

With the Karstarks brothers being alive, Rickard didn't need his revenge and so it was Robb who killed Stafford in single combat as a revenge for his father's death.

If you liked this chapter don't forget to leave a comment because always remember reviews are a food for a writer's soul.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

150K 4.9K 72
"π‘Šπ‘œπ‘™π‘“'𝑠 π΅π‘™π‘œπ‘œπ‘‘," their father always called it. Could make a man or woman wild in a sense, unpredictable, and powerful. And when a violet-e...
615 29 4
Torrhen Stark, Second Eldest Son to Eddard Stark and Catelyn Stark, has his life turns upside down as his family is torn apart and thrusted into war...
2.2K 18 11
This is the third and final instalment of The Warth Of Winter Series. If you haven't read the previous two, then go and read it first to avoid any co...
269K 6.1K 69
The Story of the eldest son of Eddard Stark. The first Artos Stark was known as Artos the Implacable. He was said to be the most fearsome warrior of...