Downplay| Jordan Clarkson & Q...

By hopesashes

downplay- to make something seem less important than it is It's a mechanism really, a defense , no one ever r... More

-
CAST
•o n e•
• t w o •
•three•
•four•
•five•
•six•
•seven•
•eight•
•nine•
•t e n•
•e l e v e n•
•t w e l v e•
•t h i r t e e n•
•f o u r t e e n•
•f i f t e e n•
•s i x t e e n•
•s e v e n t e e n•
• e i g h t e e n •
•n i n e t e e n•
•t w e n t y•
•t w e n t y o n e•
•t w e n t y t w o•
•t w e n t y f o u r •
•t w e n t y f i v e •
•t w e n t y s i x•
•t w e n t y s e v e n •
•t w e n t y e i g h t •
•t w e n t y n i n e •
•t h i r t y•
• t h i r t y o n e •
•t h i r t y t w o•
•t h i r t y t h r e e•
•t h i r t y f o u r•
•t h i r t y f i v e •
•t h i r t y s i x•
•t h i r t y s e v e n•
•t h i r t y e i g h t•
•t h i r t y n i n e•
• f o r t y •
•f o r t y o n e •
•f o r t y t w o •
•f o r t y t h r e e•
•f o r t y f o u r•
• f o r t y f i v e •
•epilogue•

•t w e n t y t h r e e•

191 16 60
By hopesashes

February 2022

It was February 1st, 2022, Yara found herself pouring over venues with Jordan at her side. She'd been more focused than usual, Jordan had blamed it on the fact that she was planning two weddings, her, and Ebony's while expanding her business. She was showing now, her belly was round and slightly protruding at five months. If she was bigger it may not have been as noticeable but Yara was tiny.

Taking advantage of this fact, Jordan pulled her into his lap and kissed her neck.

"You've been looking at these for fifty minutes Yara."

"Because I need to choose the right one and I'm trying to find Ebony's dream venue as well, which is damn near impossible. She wants all the frills but also to be lowkey. She wants to go outdoors but she doesn't want bugs. It's a lot."

Humming softly, Jordan rested his head on her shoulder and finally gave her binder some attention.

"I like this one." Jordan pointed towards the Woodland Hills Hilton, and Yara took it in before she marked next to it in red ink. She didn't have a clue as to what she wanted so she was more than relieved that he'd chosen something.

"That's a good one, I'll have my assistant make some calls. For Ebony, I was thinking this." She flipped the page and displayed the lighthouse , a popular and romantic venue in the Bay with the right amount of modernity and traditional spirit. Ebony and Kevin would find balance in its good views, lighting, and vibes.

"I think they'll love that. Ebony practically screamed last night when you brought it up, so I think it's a good choice."

The women had been on the phone practically every night, going over things and catching up. The previous night Ebony had taken it upon herself to divulge the details of Kevin's proposal to Yara, who was still trying to understand the condition of her heart while sleeping with one man and working in close proximity with the other. Ebony offered her an escape, so she listened intently as she detailed the amazing night Kevin had laid out.

Ebony was never one to be nervous but from the tone Kevin used when he'd called her, she knew that something was going on. Their status was complicated still to her, never seamless, he still talked to Zoe to arrange visitation for Kyrie. It seemed like it should be simple, but the woman wasn't taking the break too well and she hated to think she was at the heart of it.

Nonetheless, Kevin had grown on her. From hometown strangers to being her client and then lover, Kevin managed to slither his way into her heart. Now she was having his son, Kash Kevin Durant. They'd agreed on the name the previous night while they took in a bath. Kevin had a rough practice and Ebony had another case of cold feet.

When people were meant to be, shouldn't things just fall into place? It was never that simple for them. He soothed her misgivings almost immediately with the tips of his fingers as he gave her a massage and reminded her that she was the one.

Now, she was staring at her high ponytail and making sure it looked right. He'd told her to get ready because they needed to talk tonight, and they would do so over dinner. So, she picked out a black two piece set and wore the Christian Louboutin black heels he'd gifted her two nights ago. Kevin loved to spoil her, so she didn't know why she felt so nervous. They'd been perfect but between Yara's tumult and the fact that Zoë existed sometimes she doubted the security of her relationship.

"Eb!" Kevin's voice boomed through her penthouse apartment, taking all her attention as she watched him stride into the room toward her "You look beautiful as always."

"Thanks baby. You know, we could just stay in especially if you're going to wear that suit like that."

She loved to see him in suits. Their height difference always excited her but when she got to see his long legs in business and formal attire there was something so regal and attractive about it. Looking away, Ebony collected herself while Kevin looked at her almost as if he was considering it.

"Nah, we've got big plans Eb. Now let's go before we can't leave."

They had dinner under the stars that night, Ebony couldn't believe he'd rented out the Hilton's rooftop restaurant and hired a live symphony to play their song U Move, I Move by John Legend. As they feasted on steak and lobster, she couldn't help the feeling of content that swirled in her gut. She could get used to surprises like this.

They didn't speak much until dessert came out but it didn't bother her. She and Kevin specialized in comfortable silence; they could sit for hours together just enjoying each other's presence while they did their own things. She'd never had that with anyone before and she didn't think she ever would.

"You scared me when you called earlier." Ebony admitted " I thought this was the last supper or something like that, I don't know I never heard you sound so serious."

Kevin shook his head at her statement before he took her hand in his.

"Ebony Briana Scott why are you always worried about us when we're not going anywhere. I told you, I've got you and Kash and I meant that. I imploded my entire life, and from the moment I saw you I knew I was willing to do that because you are my soulmate. Ebony, I've never met anyone like you, and I probably never will. I don't know what else I can do to show you that I'm all in but I can promise that I'll try everything until you realize that this is it."

"I know that it is Kevin, but I don't know, sometimes it feels like you're not mine. Like I stole you and that will always be there. Zoë will always be there because Kyrie is there and she's a beautiful child who loves you very much."

" And I love her too but I'm not her mother's, I'm yours Eb. Kyrie and I will always have a relationship but you're giving me a son. We're building a family and that's what I want. Kyrie will always have me, but she has her father, and she adores him. I love you and I can't wait to build a life with you. Let me do that. Look at the stars Ebony, because every time I did when I wasn't with you and I had to make a choice, I knew that I was making the right one by choosing you."

Ebony glanced up at the sky, the stars were breathtaking and following Kevin's sincere words they filled her with warmth. Suddenly, a plane buzzed by with a banner which had a simple message on it Ebony, will you marry me? Her heart stopped.

Turning to Kevin , she found he wasn't there anymore but rather in front of her on one knee. In his hands a red velvet box held one of the biggest round diamonds she'd ever seen surrounded by rubies. It was a gorgeous ring.

"Ebony Briana Scott, will you do me the honor of being Ebony Briana Durant? I honestly can't imagine doing this thing called life without you and I don't want to waste any more time when what I need is right in front of me."

Her eyes watered as she rocked back in her chair before she jumped into his arms.

"YES, yes, yes a million times yes."

Yara tried not to feel hollow when Ebony had detailed the proposal but the butterflies, the excitement and the glee were things she couldn't relate to. Jordan asked and she accepted because it seemed like a sensible decision.

Moving off Jordan's lap , Yara ventured over to the coffee table and retrieved her phone which was vibrating. It was none other than the source of her confusion.

"Hey Q, any word from Payton about the venue?"

"Damn, not even a how are you, huh?" Q laughed "I'm doing good Yara, what's good with you?"

Quincy's voice flew into her ears, prompting an eye roll. She wasn't trying to stick around any longer than she had to.

"Planning and work Quincy, the usual, now back to business. What's happening with Nevada?"

"Progress, Payton's closing on everything and you should be able to start renovations in a week. You're welcome your highness."

He chuckled lightly provoking an eyeroll from his partner. Jordan watched Yara intently from the kitchen table. She'd told him about Quincy's involvement but even now he couldn't understand why he was necessary. Yara had proven time and time again that she could handle things herself so why did she need her ex of all people to assist her? It didn't sit right with him, and it probably never would.

"Thank you Q. Your services are definitely appreciated."

"Really? You haven't even seen my best ones yet, I've made some adjustments since you last took advantage of them."

She could hear the smile at the end of his sentence, and she struggled to keep a straight face.

"Have a great day Q. Thanks again."

She hung up as his laughter rung out and shook her head before she turned back to Jordan's intense stare.

"So, why is it necessary to partner with your ex again?"

She knew that tone of voice all too well. Humming, Yara ventured to the kitchen and pulled out cake samples before she came back to her dining room table and laid them out.

"Jordan, Quincy knows Nevada better than I do. He had the connect for the building and he's there a lot more than I am, at least for now."

Jordan furrowed his brows before he took a forkful of the german chocolate cake.

"For now? You're thinking about going out to Nevada."

"I mean yeah, but if I can't Q will go. I don't know , we're already going back and forth between here and Utah so I'm not sure but I do want to get a place over there so business is easier."

"Why didn't you just expand to Utah though? Like, you know where we're headed, and you know I don't want to have my son all over the place. We need a solid home Yara and if Nevada means you having to have a relationship with Q because you can't always be there, that just seems sus."

He did this way too much. Jordan wanted Yara to plan around him, with him but he always forgot the restrictions that her job placed on her.

"Jordan, I'm an event planner. I specialize in celebrity affairs, and they bring in big money. That limits the places I can go and thrive. Nevada specifically Las Vegas is a party hub, I can make millions there with the right investments and clientele just like I do here. In Utah there is hardly anything going on, you want me to trade in black tie events and golden bachelor parties for children's birthday parties and gender reveals? I'm following opportunity and besides it's right under Utah, you act like I'm setting up in New York."

"I just don't like you working with Quincy. You can follow your dreams, but he doesn't have to be there."

"Well unfortunately, contracts have already been drawn and signed. You're going to have to just trust me and know that I wouldn't do anything to betray you or hurt us. Now, tell me which flavor you like best? I'm a lemon cake person and my family loves vanilla so the third layer is all you."

She wouldn't, no matter how Yara felt she'd ignore it to preserve her integrity and golden rule. She wasn't a cheater.

"Red velvet." Jordan responded shortly before turning to his phone. He knew that he'd never win this battle with Yara, she always did what she wanted to do at the end of the day.

"So you're just going to pout and be upset for the rest of the day?" Her tone grated him and from the gaze she directed at him, he could tell that if they continued this they would Segway into yet another argument.

"Yara, I'm not going to do this with you right now. You said what you said and I feel how I feel."

"Yeah , but I want you to realize you're the only one giving ultimatums here Jordan. Move in with me or else, put your career on the back burner and follow me Yara. I don't put any restrictions on you, you can see Mylin or Ashlee or Maranda and I don't even question you but I can't conduct business with Quincy across a phone? How does that make sense?"

"It's not the same though Yara, Mylin, Ashlee nor Maranda hit on me or are actively trying to pursue me. Can you not see that Quincy still has feelings for you? You let him build our son's nursery for Christ sake. Did you think about how that would make me feel?"

His voice cracked before he looked away, he could feel his temper rising and the last thing he wanted to do was spazz on her. He shouldn't have had to explain his feelings, anyone else, any other woman would have understood. Maranda had dropped male friends for Jordan time and time again, Yara never wanted to compromise.

"Don't be ridiculous, you didn't want to do it! You're just upset that he stepped in, you wouldn't care if it was anyone else. This is about him, not me and really it's about you Jordan. Are you feeling Maranda or Mylin and trying to project that on to me."

"Shut the fuck up Yara, do you hear how fucking stupid you sound?"

His fuse blew as he looked at her with disgust in his eyes and guilt rising in his chest.

"Who do you think you're talking to? You should go Jordan, now."

"Yara, why are you fighting so hard for him to be in your life?"

"I'm not, he's a part of it now but that doesn't eclipse the commitment I made to you and the fact that you're questioning that is too much for me. Get out Jordan."

"Yara..." He reached out for her, but she blew past him. She vowed to never let a man abuse her in any way and she'd be damned if she continued this conversation while he was acting like a jackass.

Defeated Jordan watched as she walked upstairs before he gathered his stuff and headed out. He'd give her time, knowing their tempers if they stuck around things would only further detonate.

As soon as he got in his car, his phone rang and Mylin's face came into view. Sighing, he clicked.

"What's good My?"

"Jordan this is Tracy, I came to spend time with Mylin and she wasn't feeling good so we're headed to the hospital. She thinks somethings wrong with the baby."

Mylin's mother's voice immediately cleared Jordan's head of all thoughts of Yara as panic set in. Something was wrong and he had to man up and be there for his family.

"I'm on my way, are ya'll going to USC Med?"

"Yeah we're on the way there."

"Okay, can My talk ?"

The line went silent for a bit before a soft feminine voice answered.

"J, I don't know what's going on. I'm only 6 months but I'm cramping and there was some spotting. Jordan what if we lost this baby?"

His heart sank at the prospect. Mylin wouldn't recover from that and he wasn't sure if he would either. Losses like that weren't easy to get over.

"Don't talk like that My. Just stay as calm as possible and I'll be by your side at the hospital in no time. We'll be alright okay?"

"Okay Jordan."

"Where's Jay?"

"She's here in her car seat. We didn't have anyone to stay with her."

"Alright, don't worry, I got ya'll. I'll see you all soon."

Jordan hung up and put on top speed as he tried to maneuver LA traffic. He checked in with Mylin and her family through text when he hit a block but after twenty minutes responses waned. He hoped everything was alright. The silence was deafening.

When he'd finally managed to pull up an hour later, he immediately rushed into the emergency room and asked for her only to be directed to a private room on the floor where both she and her mother were crying. Jayden was asleep, unaware of it all. When Mylin's eyes met his, his heart sunk.

"Jordan, I lost him."

If time could freeze, he would've sworn that in that moment it had. He was supposed to have two sons, he'd lost one. His heart hurt and before he even registered what he was doing, he moved to Mylin's side and held her close while she sobbed into his chest.

"It's not your fault My." He whispered into her hair before he kissed her forehead. It was obvious that now more than ever, he needed to give her the support he'd neglected to provide throughout her entire pregnancy.

"I lost him." She repeated once more in despair and he could do nothing but hold her tighter.

After five minutes a doctor entered the room with a solemn expression.

" I'm so very sorry for your loss, stillbirths are never easy but it's in mom's best interest that we deliver as soon as possible."

Jordan squinted at the statement.

"She has to deliver the baby?"

"Yes she does. The pregnancy was far along so this is the only option."

"I can't.. I can't do that." Mylin's sobs grew louder as she clung to Jordan and his heart shattered. Rubbing soothing circles into her back, he offered the only words that came to his mind.

"I'll be here by your side Mylin, the entire time. We have to do this, we have to say goodbye."

Tears streamed down his face as he realized the gravity of what he was saying. Mylin opened her mouth but nothing came out. After a beat she nodded and consented to do one of the hardest things she'd ever had to do in her life.

They'd allowed them to hold their son, Jordan Clarkson Jr. for a few minutes before they took him away and by that time Mylin had no tears, she was devastated. It hurt Jordan to watch her just stare into space, out of it.

"Jordan, maybe it would be best if you took Jayden home with you tonight?"

Tracy suggested as she snuggled her daughter, but Mylin shook her head furiously.

"No, Jayden is coming home with me. I don't want Yara anywhere near her."

Mylin's voice held a new venom that shook Jordan to his core as he stared into her now furious eyes,

"My, you need to have some time to deal with this." Jordan offered but he was coldly rebuffed.

"So, you don't? What you feel relieved or something? Are you going to go back to your perfect new family? You still have Yara's baby so the hell with mine right, we lost a child Jordan, we lost our son."

"I know that Mylin but you carried him. I'm hurting but your pain is different. Don't make it seem like I didn't care because I'm there for all my kids. They're my world and you know that."

"Yeah, right Jordan. Just go, you're free , just send Jayden's check every month."

"Mylin that's not fair. I'm trying to be here for you. I love you and you know that, we're just not in love."

Mylin scoffed loudly at this. She couldn't believe he still had the audacity to say that dumb shit.

"No Jordan, you're not in love and you felt trapped from the first day I told you about him. Now you don't have to worry so go. The truth is, you don't love anybody because your doing to Yara exactly what you did to me. Next time you want to cheat on your girlfriend, make sure your phone isn't on. You're the fucking worst."

Those words stuck with him all the way home. In addition to swallowing the loss of his son, he had to deal with the fact that his secret wasn't a secret. Mylin's mom could barely look him in the eye and Mylin refused to. If Jayden wasn't asleep he would've descended to another level of embarrassment. He didn't want to go to his apartment, he didn't want to be alone and he didn't want to be out of Yara's sight.

Still, what if Mylin told her? She was angry enough to send his whole world into shambles and if she hadn't maybe he could block any communication between she and Yara.

He didn't consciously mean to end up in the parking lot of Yara's apartment complex but that's where his heart led him. It was 9 PM. He knocked on her door twice and when it opened, he immediately wrapped his arms around her and buried his face in her hair before he cried.

She was shocked still. She didn't know what to do when people cried in front of her. Awkwardly, she closed the door with her foot and rubbed his back.

"J, what happened? What's wrong?"

"Mylin miscarried, we lost our son."

Yara's heart sank for him. Walking them towards the bedroom, she laid him down and snuggled into him to offer some comfort. She wasn't ecstatic when she discovered she was pregnant, but the idea had grown on her. She couldn't imagine what it would feel like to lose Elijah, to not feel him flourishing inside her, to never see who he'd become. So, she held onto Jordan tight and gave him all the support he needed as he let his emotions flow.

Little did she know that his tears were of double mourning, his son was gone, and his dirty little secret was no longer a secret. How long would he be able to hold Yara before she too would leave him? She couldn't find out, he couldn't lose her too or their son. If they weren't together, he'd miss too much in Elijah's life. He couldn't accept that.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.5K 335 31
Love can be easily found, Trust can be easily broken.
36.6K 1.3K 33
-¢σмρℓєтє∂- sometimes the people closest to you, are the ones who need to be the farthest. sometimes the one you want the most, is the one your best...
356 52 21
I don't know how you got into my heart, but I know I never want you to leave.
3.4M 123K 61
𝚈𝙾𝚄'𝚁𝙴 𝙼𝚈 𝚂𝙰𝙻𝚅𝙰𝙶𝙴, 𝚈𝙾𝚄'𝚁𝙴 𝙼𝚈 𝙱𝙰𝙻𝙰𝙽𝙲𝙴