THE NORTHERN CRUSADE

By Saptaswapal

The North has always endured. They had survived the Long Night, they had resisted the might of the Andals. Th... More

WINTER IS COMING
THE BANNERS OF WINTERFELL
MOAT CAILIN
BATTLE OF GREEN FORK & WHISPERING WOODS
AFTERMATH
THE NEXT MOVE
INTERLUDE- 1
THE YOUNG WOLF STRIKES AGAIN
FALL OF THE GOLDEN TOOTH
THE KINGS OF THE SOUTH
ROBB STARK'S INVASION OF THE WESTERLANDS
INTERLUDE- 2
THE CHANGE OF TIDE- PART 1
THE CHANGE OF TIDE- PART 2: BATTLE OF BLACKWATER
THE CHANGE OF TIDE- PART 3: SIEGE OF LANNISPORT AND CASTERLY ROCK
THE CHANGE OF TIDE- PART 4
FURTHER PLANNING
INTERLUDE- 3
THE REACH CAMPAIGN
BATTLE OF OLD TOWN
YOU ARE A GREYJOY AND YOU ARE A STARK
THE SOUTHERN PRINCESS
THE END IS NEAR
THE PLAYERS (BIOGRAPHY)
THE END IS NEAR: PART 2
THE END IS NEAR: PART 3
PRELUDE TO BATTLE
BATLLE OF GODS EYE: PART 1
THE BATTLE OF GODS EYE: PART 2
BATTLE OF GODS EYE: PART 3
CONCLUSION
PEACE AND WAR
THE CITY OF KINGS
THE OFFER
THE FALL OF THE CAPITAL
INVITATIONS AND CONFESSIONS
JUDGEMENTS
CHANGES AT COURT
THE HIGH COUNCIL
THE WALL
BATTLE OF THE WALL
TREATY

THE FINAL PREPARATIONS

1K 14 19
By Saptaswapal

Summary:- Robb and his army arrived at The Twins.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

TOTAL NORTHERN ARMY- 32,800 men.

INFANTRY- 22,000 men.

CAVALRY - 10,800 men.

----------x--------

TOTAL LANNISTER ARMY - 62,000 men.

50,000 Westerlands men + 10,000 sellswords + 2000 mountain of The Vale clansmen (As Reinforcements)

TYWIN LANNISTER - 32,000 men.

INFANTRY - 24,000 men.

CAVALRY - 6000 men.

REINFORCEMENTS - 2000 mountain clansmen from The Vale (Under the command of Lord Tyrion Lannister).

                              X

JAIME LANNISTER - 30,000 men .

INFANTRY - 24,000 men.

CAVALRY - 6,000 men.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

299 AC

RIVERLANDS

THE TWINS

ROBB STARK

The Twins, the seat of House Frey.

The castle received its name because of it's two identical stone castles standing on a margin of the Trident. It also have high curtain walls, deep moats and a barbican and portcullis in each. All in all, making it a formidable castle to Seige.

Robb and his army of 32,000 men were currently camped just outside the Castle, debating on the next course of action.

And that led to the current situation.

"My lord I must protest, it's too dangerous for you to go!!" Lord Umber protested

"Yea Robb, you are too important for us, we cannot lose you, please send someone else" Wulfric pleaded.

"I think you should listen to your cousin, Lord Stark" Ser Brynden 'Blackfish' Tully, said to his great Nephew. The Legendary Blackfish, had left his position as the Guardian of the Bloody Gate, in the Vale and had decided to join his nephew in this war.

Robb appreciated that, the Blackfish was a war hero and veteran of three wars (War Of Nine Penny Kings, Robert's Rebellion and Greyjoy Rebellion) and he was often compared with the likes of Randyll Tarly, Stannis Baratheon, and Tywin Lannister, as one of the Greatest Commanders in the Seven Kingdoms.

The Blackfish had also brought two important news with him.

1. His aunt Lysa Arryn, will not send the knights of the Vale to help him in rescuing his father and sister.

2.His mother is trapped in Riverrun, which is now under siege by the Kingslayer's host.

Robb shook his head in anger. His own aunt will not help him. She will not help her own family, whose words were Family, Duty, Honor.

Now he understood why Theon Stark told him to forsake his honor. Honor has no place in the times of war, his own aunt has proven that.

He looked at his cousin before saying " I have to negotiate with Walder Frey, if we want to cross the river!".

"But you can always send someone else!".

"And who will that be, I am the leader of this army Wulfric, and it is my duty" Robb said "And besides I don't think anything bad will happen to me!".

"But Robb, they are Freys! Who knows what they'll do to you?" Theon said in concern "What's stopping them from slashing your throat open or throwing you into the dungeon? Or give your head as a gift to Lord Tywin for any rewards" Theon added, looking genuinely worried for his best friend.

"Obviously an army 8 times their size, camping outside his home" Robb said dryly, motioning at his large army.

"Walder Frey is a proud rat, but he is also smart. He knows that all the rewards the Lannisters might offer him mean nothing if he's dead." Everyone still looked worried, but a bit more mollified.

"Don't fear my lords, I will be safe, I doubt Lord Walder will attack me under Guest Right" Robb said "That's what I think" he added mentally. After all when it comes to the Freys of the Crossing, nothing can be certain, "And if I don't return in an hour you all have my full permission to take the castle by storm".

With a final nod to all his assembled Lords, he began to walk forward where Ser Stevron Frey, Lord Walder's eldest son and heir to the Twins, was standing.

"Let's go Ser Stevron" Robb nodded to the heir to the Twins.

Stevron nodded before he began to escort the Stark heir to his father.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"Heh, so the honourably son of Eddard Stark, graces my castle with his presence!!" The old weasel Lord Walder Frey, also known as the Late-Lord Frey, said in a mocking tone "I must say it is really an honor to see you here!!" he sounded anything but that. However Robb still forced a smile to appear on his face.

"And what an honor to meet you here as well, Oh Lord Of The Crossing. My grandfather had only great things to say about your accomplishments!!" Robb spoke in the same mockingly sarcastic tone that Walder Frey had used on him.

"Spare me the bullshit, Lord Stark!! You nor your grandfather weren't here at my weddings, why are you here now?" The old Lord spoke sourly, no doubt thinking how his grandfather Hoster has slighted House Frey by not coming to his wedding or weddings.

"Good question, my Lord Frey! Why would I walk all the way to the Twins, the only crossing in the River Trident, with a huge army at my back?" Robb said sarcastically.

"Don't play cheek with me boy, and tell me the reason you are here".

Robb smile immediately vanished and was replaced with a cold look.

"You know very well why I am here Lord Frey! What I want is to be allowed passage to cross the Twins!!" Walder Frey laughed at that.

"And why would I allow that?" Walder Frey sneered "Your grandfather Hoster has always looked down upon House Frey, he insulted me and gave me the nickname of The Late-Lord Frey just because I was late to arrive at the Battle Of The Trident, so tell me why should I help you?".

"My Grandfather is your Liege Lord and you swore an oath of allegiance to him and House Tully" Robb countered.

"I also swore an oath of loyalty to the Iron Throne boy, I could easily hand you over to Tywin Lannister!!" Walder cackled "I believe he shall pay me handsomely for it!!".

Robb just smirked, which infuriated Walder even more.

"What are you smirking at boy??"

"Maybe a view out of your window could answer your question" Robb answered him mockingly.

"Sorry, but I'm a very old man. Walking to the window would be too exhausting", Lord Walder said with an ugly sneer on his face.

"Of course, I understand your health problems. Let me help you, my lord. After all I am a gentleman who helps people in need, unlike a certain someone I know!!" Robb said referring to Walder's rude behaviour.

Lord Frey reluctantly got up and Robb took his bony arm, grabbing it a bit harder than necessary, slightly clawing his fingers into his old flesh. Lord Walder felt rotten and smelled rotten.

He slowly guided Lord Walder to the window and while walking with him, he noticed that the old man's arm was trembling. He obviously was unable to figure out what Robb's intentions were.

Good, Robb smirked mentally he was already successful on frightening the old man. A weasel shouldn't argue with a wolf. A weasel was prey and wolves are predators. After they reached the window Robb released him from his tight hold.

"So, Lord Frey, tell me what you see?" Robb asked him.

"I'm afraid, my eyes are also weak", Lord Walder said sneering again.

Robb didn't react to his rude words  because he knew that it was Lord Frey's poor and transparent attempt to anger him.

"Of course, my lord. Then I will tell you what I can see outside your castle and inside your castle!!" Robb answered him.

"I'm listening!!", the old weasel said.

"Outside your castle I see 30,000 grim, well armed and battle-hardened Northmen; inside your castle I see 4000 frightened, poorly equipped and inexperienced children!!" Robb told him, while directly staring into his eyes.

"They'll be 30,000 corpses when Tywin Lannister gets here. Don't try to frighten me, boy. Your father is rotting in a black cell and your sister hostage in the Red Keep!!" Lord Walder replied.

"Maybe. But you definitely won't be alive any more to see it" Robb said.

"Why? Would you please enlighten me!!" Lord Walder said angrily.

"We have to cross the river to lift the siege of Riverrun and to free Lord Eddard Stark. If you don't permit us passage willingly, we will have to enforce passage, because you don't leave us with another choice. Your castle is strong and taking it would be very difficult for us. But somehow we will take it. We outnumber you eight to one, we have many supplies and the nearby forests has enough wood to build proper siege weapons!!" Robb spoke.

"If you attack me, many of your men will die!!" Lord Walder answered but Robb can clearly see the fear in his eyes.

"Many of our men, but all of your men!!" Robb said, "Tywin Lannister is close to Green Fork and Ser Jaime is besieging Riverrun. None of them would arrive in time to save you from our attack. Perhaps we will be defeated by them after we defeated you, but you will never know, because you will be dead. You and your entire family. Maybe I will sing a song after your House has been eradicated just like the Reynes and  Tarbecks, we really need a Northern version of The Rains Of Castamere!!" Robb threatened "Mother says I have a very nice voice".

That was clearly enough and it worked. Lord Weasel obviously had no idea what to answer. He was only gazing at him  bewildered. Now, after he had intimidated him, it was time for the sugar.

"But that doesn't need to happen. We recognise the importance and power of House Frey. Why should we destroy you if you could be our trusted and useful ally!!" Robb continued.

Telling someone with an inferiority complex how great and mighty he was, has always worked.

"We offer you the betrothal of my cousin, Edwyle Whitestark, heir to the fortress of Moat Cailin, to one of your daughters, or granddaughters, great-granddaughters it doesn't matter. You may choose the future bride yourself. We would be honoured by your agreement. The future father-in-law of my cousin will always have a place at my hearth, Lord Walder." Robb said "And not only that, I will also take one of your son as my squire and he will receive a Knighthood and Lands and Titles of his own when the war is done".

"You will also take, two of my sons as wards!!" Walder demanded and Robb nodded his agreement.

"Now can we pass or would you want something else?" Robb asked.

"Very well! You may pass." Walder spoke with loathing and hate in his voice.

"Pleasure doing business with you Lord Frey!!" Robb smirked before leaving the Hall with a triumphant look in his face.

The Greatjon would later say that putting Walder Frey in his place, was Robb first Victory (although a political victory) in this war.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"My Lord!!" Greatjon Umber, Robb's most loyal bannerman, immediately greeted him as soon as he entered the tent.

"What did that Weasel said my lord? Will he let us pass!!" Rickard Karstark asked.

"Lord Frey, will let us pass and not only that his forces will also join us except 400 men which he will keep in The Twins to guard the Keep" Robb replied causing his Bannermen to look surprised that he managed to convince Lord Frey.

"And what does he want in return?" Wulfric asked.

"He wants two of his sons to foster in Winterfell, I have also agreed to take one of his sons as a squire and" Robb paused before looking at Benjen apologetically "He wants my cousin Edwyle to marry one of his daughter when both of them comes to age".

Benjen grimaced at the thought of his son to marry a Frey but he sighed and accepted it as a price of war.

"My Lord now that all the preparations are done!!" Roose Bolton asked "Who will lead the second host to attack lord Tywin??".

That's right, it was Robb's brilliant plan to divide his army. One host entirely made of Infantry will do a diversionary attack to tie down Tywin's host while Robb will take his entire cavalry force to relieve the siege of Riverrun.

He looked at all his lords, no doubt all of them are eager to get the chance of leading the second host to face Tywin. It wasn't a very difficult choice as he already made it when he left Moat Cailin.

"My Uncle Benjen will!!" Robb declared looking at his uncle with a smile. There was no one he trusts more than his own flesh and blood.

Benjen looked surprised before he managed to compose himself "I will not disappoint you My Lord!!".

"Then it's decided!!" Robb declared before dismissing his lords and ladies.

With the council done and concluded he looked at the map and the pieces which depicted his army.

He had a total of 32,000 men drawn from all corners of the North.

More than 12,000 men at arms armed with Spears, Round Oakenshields and Longswords.

At least 4,000 of the elite Skirmishers armed with Short swords, Throwing Axes and Javelins capable of harrassing the enemies from a distance.

3,000 berserkers armed with war hammers and greatswords capable of destroying entire enemy units and another 3,000 archers armed with the strong Weirwood Bows.

But his army's main power lies in his massive Cavalry force. More than 10,000 strong. More than 4000 light cavalry, 3000 heavy cavalry, 1000 of the famous Winter Wolves, the northern equivalent of southern knights, and 2000 of the famous Northern horse archers. He also had 800 scouts under the command of the Blackfish.

All in all, it is a formidable force but Robb knows that an army is only successful if it's commander is successful.

"Don't worry father, mother, Sansa help is comming" Robb thought before his eyes hardened "Winter Is Coming!!"

----------------------------------------------------------------

And Done!

So in this Story Robb negotiated with Walder Frey, as his mother Catelyn is trapped in Riverrun. Now Canon honourable Robb would never have threatened Walder, but Robb is not honourable in this story. And he got a good deal too, The Freys are one of the most powerful House in the Riverlands and gaining their loyalty through a marriage is a very good decision Robb has taken.

Now Robb had given Benjen command of the second host because of two reasons, first he trusts his uncle above everyone else and second as a compensation for the Frey marriage.

If you liked the chapter don't forget to leave a comment because always remember reviews are food for a writer's soul.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

598 29 4
Torrhen Stark, Second Eldest Son to Eddard Stark and Catelyn Stark, has his life turns upside down as his family is torn apart and thrusted into war...
210K 6.5K 93
When the snows fall and the white winds blow; the lone wolf dies but the pack survives. Aris Stark, eldest daughter of Eddard and Catelyn Stark is t...
1.8K 28 5
It was running the year 303 AC. Rhaegar Targaryen, First of his name, King of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men sat on the Iron Throne for t...
210K 8K 75
Erik Stark is the eldest son of Eddard and Catelyn Stark. Heir To WinterFell, but Erik has followed his own path. Some call him the Wandering wolf. ...