Forever Ruined

Af Ruechari

Benjamin McAllister is the Queen's Man working in secret for King and Crown. It riddled his past with intrigu... Mere

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter - Twenty four
Chapter Twenty-five
Chapter Twenty- Six
Chapter Twenty- Seven
Chapter Twenty-eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty -Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-one
Chapter Forty-two
Chapter Forty-three
Chapter Forty-four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-eight
Chapter Forty-nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-four
Chapter Fifty-five
Chapter Fifty-six
Chapter Fifty-seven
Chapter Fifty-eight
Chapter Fifty-nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-two
Chapter Sixty-three
Chapter Sixty-five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-Seven
Chapter Sixty-eight
Chapter Sixty-nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy-one
Epilogue

Chapter 64

1K 110 30
Af Ruechari

Mr. Brummell was fashionably late, as was the usual course when picking Clara up for a meal. Clara wished she could put what she learned out of her mind, but she could not. How could Benjamin be so deceitful? How dare he take this choice away from her?

"Ah, there you are!" Mr. Brummell said as if it was Clara who's been missing. Clara smiled at him tolerantly and rose to accept his greeting.

"Shall we?" Mr. Brummell offered Clara his arm. She nodded, linking her arm with his. Clara engaged in little conversation on the way to dinner. Her heart heavy with the knowledge she gained, it was difficult to relieve herself of her melancholy.

As they sat at their reserved table, Mr. Brummell looked at her with concern. "Are you unwell, Clara? Is that the true reason for you not joining me this morning, as always? If you are, you must tell me. If anything were to happen to you on my watch, Benjamin would never forgive me."

A snide remark leaped from her mind to her mouth but thankfully did not escape her lips regarding how Benjamin would treat her well-being. Instead, she swallowed it and gave Mr. Brummell a gracious smile.

"My apologies, I am quite distracted. I have much on my mind." Clara thought it best to keep things vague and was rewarded with Mr. Brummell, providing her with the perfect excuse for her mood.

"So, you received your invitation, then? Mr. McAlister and I have as well. You have accepted, of course?"

"Of course, I would not hesitate for all the world."

"You have born this trial beautifully, Clara. No one could have born it better, but soon this charade will end and you and Mr. McAlister will be together again."

"Speaking of charades, don't you think it odd that the Queen would choose to hold a masquerade ball. It seems a little unpatriotic, all things considered."

"You wish my honest opinion?"

"Always."

The waiter interrupted them by taking their selections. Mr. Brummell ordered for them both. A habit that irritated Clara, but she allowed it. He then leaned in conspiratorially, whispering, "I believe it a test."

"A test? What sort of test?"

"The Queen is well aware of your attraction for one another. You'd have to be blind not to see it. You light up a room whenever Benjamin is near and he can not stop beaming at just the mere sight of you. I must admit there is something I envy in the way the two of you get on. I've always found relationships engaging but never felt inspired enough to wish to be engaged."

Mr. Brummell laughed at his own joke and had Clara wondering why should any of this matter to the Queen.

"But why the need for costumes?"

Mr. Brummell looked upon her as if she were simple and perhaps she was. Despite all her adventures and experiences, Clara knew very little of courtly intrigues. The constant drive to better one's status, to gain favors among the elite, were all foreign concepts to her. Watching Mr. Brummell perform whenever they were in society appeared exhausting. She didn't know how he did it, another reason she guessed for Benjamin keeping her away from London.

"I believe it to be a test of love," Mr. Brummell provided. "Will you and Mr. McAlister be able to seek one another out? Find each other through a crowd of masked members? The Queen is a romantic at heart, evident by how she has stuck by the King and mourns his loss, even though he is still here."

"I hadn't thought of that," Clara said. All she wished to do was confront Benjamin, to demand certain truths, but this will complicate matters greatly. Clara frowned in her frustration.

"Don't fear, my dear. I have it all settled. I've already been to the modiste and ordered the perfect costume for you and tomorrow I will tell Mr. McAlister what that costume will be. He will then, in turn, tell me what he will be wearing. I know neither of you wishes to waste time on such frivolity. The sooner this ruse ends, the happier everyone shall be."

Clara smiled. "Thank you, Mr. Brummell. I don't know how to thank you enough for putting my mind at ease."

Mr. Brummell was happy to help. He had grown quite fond of Clara over their time spent together. He could see why Benjamin was so taken with her. She was a rare pearl in an ocean of gaudy jewels.

"So, what news of your brother?"

"My brother?" Clara asked, confused, forgetting she had used her brother coming to London as her excuse.

"When is he to arrive?"

"He did not give an exact date, but he believes he will be able to break away from his duties very soon," Clara lied.

"I must admit I will miss this time with you, Clara."

"I'm sure we will see one another again. You, after all, Mr. McAlister's closest friend."

"Perhaps, I will get to visit you both in the country. I haven't been to his estate for quite some time. It would be nice to get away from it all, if only for a little while."

"You would be always welcome. You know that" Clara said, and she meant it. However, she wasn't sure if she would see Mr. Brummell again. She did not know how these next few events of her life will play out. Is she living a tragedy or will she finally have her happily ever after?

Mr. Brummell mistook her sad expression for being tired. "It has been a long day. I should get you home, so you may rest."

"Thank you," Clara agreed.

Mr. Brummell rode back to the hotel. He realized just how tired Clara was when she could barely keep her eyes open on the ride home. He let her rest, and upon arrival, gently shook her awake.

"Clara, we have arrived."

She looked disoriented for a moment, and he smiled at her. "Let's get you inside."

Clara took his hand as he helped her from the carriage. "Same time tomorrow?"

Clara was too tired to think of an excuse, so simply nodded in acknowledgment.

"Goodnight, Lady Bentley."

"Goodnight, Mr. Brummell."

Clara ascended the stairs to her room. Rosalyn was up waiting for her. She helped her undress and Clara got into her nightclothes. Clara sank into her pillow and surrendered to sleep.

Rosalyn awoke to the sound of her mistress vomiting. She quickly grabbed the empty washbasin and held Clara's hair back for her.

Clara felt weak when the episode stopped.

"I knew it. You've gone and pushed yourself too far."

"I'm fine Rosalyn. Something I have eaten does not agree with me is all. Could you fetch me some ginger tea?"

"I really believe we should call for a doctor?"

"And I appreciate your concern, but what would help me right now is to get cleaned up and have some ginger or perhaps mint tea to settle my stomach."

Rosalyn so wished she could override her mistress, but alas, she could not. "Very well, miss."

Rosalyn helped Clara out of her soiled clothes, washed the basin out, and filled it with water so Clara could tidy herself up before stripping the linens from the bed to get cleaned.

Clara changed her nightdress and felt her entire world spin. She sat by the fireplace to allow it to pass.

Rosalyn returned with some mint tea, and it did wonders to ease her discomfort.

"I must dress. Mr. Brummell will expect me soon."

"Please, miss. Let me give him an excuse. If you will not allow me to ring for a doctor, at least you can take a day to rest?"

"What could you say that would not alarm Mr. Brummell? No, I think it best..." Clara rose from the chair, but her world spun again and she sat back down.

Clara's state filled Rosalyn with worry for her. She rested her hand on Clara's arm.

"I will simply say you appeared quite exhausted last night and need more rest. That should be enough. I'm sure if Mr. Brummell saw the state you were in when you came home last night, he will agree without question, but should he express any concerns, I will quell his fears. Please?"

Clara covered the young woman's hand with her own. "I shall take your advice. You may tell Mr. Brummell when he arrives I will not be joining him this morning, but he may check on me later in the day should he have any doubts as to my well-being."

Rosalyn felt so relieved. She fetched new linens from the hotel maid. Fixed the bed and got Clara settled back into it. Perhaps Lady Bentley was right. She seemed better after the tea.

Mr. Brummell took the news well enough.

"She was out of sorts last night. I hope this doesn't develop into anything too serious. I would hate after all this time waiting for her to miss the ball."

"I'm certain some rest and she will right as rain."

"I will check in with you later this afternoon. She doesn't need to accept me as a visitor. I'll be happy to get any report you have to provide. I know someone else who will be far more anxious about her state and I will need to make certain he knows I've done all I can to help her. The last thing we need is him doing something rash."

"I understand, Mr. Brummell. I will let Lady Bentley know."

"Take good care of our girl, will you?"

"You know that she is my top priority."

"I know," Mr. Brummell said. He was leaving Clara in very capable hands.

Now, how to deal with Mr. McAlister?

Fortsæt med at læse

You'll Also Like

168K 6.9K 35
"you are just a replacement, don't except anything from me" he said "agreed" she said not even bothering him with a glance "you will be my wife in na...
342K 9.4K 84
Her busy life soon comes to the end once she enters a small bookstore and finds her all-time favorite book. On the night she purchase the book, she p...
46.1K 4.5K 31
Regency debutante Lottie Atwell must silence a blackmailing killer before her secrets are exposed and her family is ruined. She's killed before, but...
126K 7K 51
Set in 1825, in London, during the regency era. Joan Winset, our heroine, is considered the town's nosiest woman. Her gossips are so popular that...