THEM

By Jae-Jae

No one really knows what they are or where they came from. No one knows how they ended up like that- WHY they... More

Author's Note
CAST
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25

Chapter 18

3.5K 218 333
By Jae-Jae

After sorting through all of our supplies we found that we'd definitely need to make a run for more food, water, and clothing.

"So, how do we want to do this?" Arden asked as she zipped up her now empty bag. "Who goes and looks for what?"

Cory opened his mouth to speak but before he even had a chance to utter a single word Arden held her hand up, effectively cutting him off.

"Don't even think about trying to tell me to stay here because it's not going to work and the answer is no." Arden stated as she stared her brother down.

In response Cory narrowed his eyes but obviously realizing that arguing this point with Arden would get him nowhere, wisely kept his mouth shut.

Satisfied with his answer, or lack thereof, Arden turned to the rest of the group with raised brows, waiting on an answer to her earlier question.

"Well, I guess you can count me out. I don't think I'd have as much luck as you convincing that one to let me go walking around." My dad spoke up as he gave me a pointed look.

He was right too. He was in no condition to be walking around right now especially when we had no idea who or what may be inside. It was best if he stayed inside the store where it was safe.

"I could help." Marie offered. "That is if you don't mind watching Danny while I'm gone." The last part was directed at my dad who waved his hand dismissively.

"It's no problem. You guys go and get what we need. I'll keep an eye on him."

Marie nodded in appreciation and turned to look at Danny who was pouting.

"Why can't I come with you guys? I can help. I don't need a babysitter. I'm almost ten."

Marie smiled down at her son softly. "I know you are which is why I need you stay here and keep an eye on the place. Can you do that for me?"

Danny eyed the store suspiciously before looking back at his mother and nodding begrudgingly.

Marie gave him a kiss on the forehead. "That's my brave boy."

"Alright then that settles it. Cory, Allona, Marie, and I will go." Arden concluded.

Everyone was on board and quickly grabbed their emptied bags before Cory pulled the doors open and we all filed outside.

***

It was easy to volunteer to go out and help collect supplies while in the comfort and safety of the store. However, once we stepped outside of its safe walls and the doors were firmly shut and locked behind us it was a different story.

I instantly started getting chills and had that unmistakable feeling that someone was watching us.

"Okay, so here's the plan." Arden began, addressing the group but making sure to keep her voice low just in case there really was someone lurking around. "We'll split up into groups of two. That way we can cover more ground but no one has to go alone."

Everyone nodded in agreement.

"Who's going with who?" Marie asked.

I glanced at her and saw the glint in Arden's eyes and before I could even offer to go with Marie myself she quickly cut me off. She seemed to have a knack for doing that.

"I'll go with you Marie and Cory can go with Allona."

I wanted to facepalm. She couldn't have been any more obvious in what she was trying to do if she tried.

I turned to Cory, expecting to see frustration on his face but was surprised to see that he looked...calm. Like his sister's clear attempts at matchmaking didn't bother him in the slightest.

"Let's get moving then. The quicker we get the supplies the quicker we can get back." Cory said. "And remember," he looked at Arden and Marie meaningfully. "Be careful."

With that we each started in separate directions. Arden and Marie had agreed to go looking for food so they were headed back down to the first floor while Cory and I would search the second floor for clothes.

We entered the first store we came across and luckily the doors here too were only closed and not locked.

"You take this side of the store and I'll take the other?" Cory offered and I nodded before heading towards the rack of graphic t-shirts to my right.

Glancing down at my own shirt, the one Arden had let me borrow, I realized how badly I needed a new one. Torn in several places from our encounters with trying to escape from those things made it so it was little more than a shredded rag at this point.

Glancing over my shoulder to make sure that Cory was out of sight I quickly pulled a black t-shirt with Tweety Bird on the front from the rack. I gave it a once over before deciding it would do and pulled it from its hanger and then quickly set it on the ground.

Trying to hurry I quickly attempted to pull the white tank top over my head ready to discard it in place of the new one. The key word there being attempted.

In my haste to change shirts before Cory came back I managed to somehow get one of the plastic pieces used to adjust the straps caught in my hair.

Cursing under my breath I tried forcefully pulling it free which only managed to tighten its hold on my hair.

I pulled the shirt the rest of the way off so it was simply hanging from my bun and attempted to get it free that way but the only thing I seemed to be doing was making it worse.

Stupid shirt!

"Need some help?"

Not hearing anyone approach I jumped at the sound of the voice behind me and quickly spun around to find Cory standing a few steps away.

Realizing how ridiculous I must look with a shirt hanging from my bun and nothing but a bra to cover the rest of my upper half, I tried to ignore the red hot embarrassment I could feel making itself known on my face. Instead I cleared my throat and shook my head.

"No, I can handle it. You keep looking for clothes."

I quickly spun back around and tried in vain to get the shirt free. Honestly, it was all just an act because at this point my hands had started to shake and were completely freaking useless!

What was wrong with me?!

I was contemplating just giving the stupid piece of cloth a good tug and letting it take however many strands of hair with it when I suddenly felt a pair of cool hands cover my own before gently removing them from the shirt and placing them by my side.

Just like before I could feel Cory's body heat as he stood behind me and just like before it was distracting as hell.

I felt him slowly start to loosen my bun until my hair came loose of its confines and fell freely down my back.

"W-what are you doing?"

Damn me for stuttering!

"Helping."

It was only one simple word, but it made me shiver for some reason.

I felt him lightly run his fingers through my curls before I could feel the gentle tugs that told me he was attempting to get the shirt free from my hair.

Unlike me, he obviously knew what he was doing and in only a few seconds the shirt was no longer caught in my hair.

"There."

I turned around slowly and once again found myself only inches from him. However, unlike when we were in Victoria's Secret there was no trace of humor on his face. Instead, there was something...else.

The look on his face was more intense. Almost...carnal.

I swallowed hard and had just enough time to register him dropping the shirt where it landed silently next to the first shirt I was trying to put on. The shirt I should've been putting on right now but instead I was-

My thoughts ceased in an instant as Cory took that small step forward that eliminated the remaining bit of space between us.

If I thought that I could feel his body heat before it was nothing compared to what I felt when he was actually pressed up against me. The only thing separating me from feeling that heat from its source was his t-shirt which I now suddenly wished was gone.

I let my eyes travel up to meet his own and suddenly found it hard to breathe.

Was that my heart or his that was beating that loudly?

I felt him shift and his hands, the same hands that he was using earlier to do something as innocent as freeing a t-shirt from my hair were now on my hips.

And there was nothing innocent about how he gripped them.

His hands slowly traveled upwards, skimming my sides leaving a fiery trail in their wake until he had both of his hands on either side of my face, effectively holding me in place.

It wasn't like I had any intentions of going anywhere else and after continuing to stare into my eyes Cory seemed to realize this too because he gave me a small smile before I felt him tilt my head up ever so slightly before he lowered his own.

His lips had just brushed against my own, my eyes had fluttered shut, my hands had somehow found their way to his chest, and then-

"If you two are about to fuck at least let me get out of the store first."

***

Hahaha!!! I know, I know. You guys probably hate me for this but I've come to notice that a lot of you like to refer to me as the "Cliffhanger Queen" and who would I be if I didn't live up to that name you all so graciously gave me? (I love it by the way!) And you know what they say: Good things come to those who wait ;) Also, who do you think it is that interrupted Cory and Allona's "personal" time??? Hmm, a new character perhaps? Until Sunday,
Your Cliffhanger Queen
~JaeJae

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

171 12 5
1996. No one knows what started it. In a local supermarket in Clanton, Alabama, a woman in a wedding dress suddenly attacked its customers. She was d...
40K 1.2K 33
Being mated from a young age, I thought that I was the luckiest girl in the world. Only to realize, that everything is not what it seems.
219 0 21
It's the end of the world. Zoey, a 17 year old girl, is struggling on surviving. She gets pinned by a monster called a Seeker and fights to stay aliv...
29.1K 827 48
Infected. They plagued the city, the people and nowhere was safe. How do you live in a world where every breath could be your last, one bite could ta...