Fate Mate

Af emilyarenfroe

Only days after her eighteenth birthday, Charlotte finally joins her pack in attending the Winter Solstice, a... Mere

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 36- Part 2
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60 - Epilogue
Author's Note
New Werewolf Romance Novel
NEW MAFIA NOVEL
The Silent Mate
New Book Available on Ream

Chapter 47

46.1K 1.6K 115
Af emilyarenfroe

After that, word spread like a wildfire that I was awake.

If it were up to me, I would've like to stay in Nolan's arms for the greater part of the next week, but a furious knocking on the door ruined my chances. I frowned, utterly unwilling to slide off of Nolan's barely covered lap for whoever waited on the other side of the bedroom door.

Nolan groaned. "It's Trudy. She wants to give you a checkup."

I huffed. "I only died, passed into the afterlife, and clawed my way back to the world of the living again. I don't know why she'd think that I need a healer." My mate's lips parted in disbelief, but my lips curled up in a smirk. "I'm kidding."

My joke earned a chuckle from Nolan, who managed to grab the blanket that hung loosely around his waist with one hand, hoist me up with his other arm, and stand. I wrapped my legs tight around his hips and kept my arms coiled around his strong neck as he transferred me to the bed once more.

When he placed me on the bed, I pulled the first layer of sheets up to my waist and called, "Come in!"

The door cracked open, and the middle-aged healer stepped inside. The whites of her eyes expanded upon seeing me, sitting up in bed, as if she couldn't quite believe that I'd woken up. "Moon Goddess," Trudy exclaimed. "You're back."

I nodded and smiled, although it was a bit forced. "Feeling better than ever."

A lie. A complete and utter lie, considering the throbbing pain in my mid-section. Neither Trudy nor Nolan seemed to believe me. The first clucked and immediately set her medicine-bag on the foot of the king-sized bed. The second, my mate, reached out to place a large, calloused hand on my shoulder, squeezing the small mound of muscle.

My eyes drifted to Nolan's and saw his orbs clouded with concern. They held a silent request. Please don't try to be too brave. My resolve softened, and I reached up to squeeze his hand once before turning back to Trudy. "Actually, my chest and stomach hurt like a bitch."

Trudy smiled at my description. "I'm not surprised. You tore through your thoracic cage and punctured a lung. Not to mention you pulled out the knife and lost a fair amount of blood."

"Is that all?" I quipped. Nolan's grip on my shoulder tightened, and I knew that he relived every second of my death all over again.

"Now that you're awake, we can expect your healing to be expedited, even with a dormant wolf," Trudy explained, taking out a stethoscope and moving to my side. Nolan stepped out of the way so that the doctor could listen to my heartbeat and breathing. I dutifully allowed her to examine me, despite the pain that ricocheted through me with every breath.

The examination lasted for several minutes, but finally Trudy nodded and smiled between Nolan and I. "Well, I've certainly seen patients in better condition. But, given everything that you've put your body through, I'd say you will make a full recovery. I'd prefer if you took things easy for the next few days—stay in bed as much as possible and avoid over-excitement."

My mind, Moon Goddess save me, immediately flashed to the plans that Nolan and I had made just moments before. The Mating Ceremony and all that would come after... My eyes widened and I lurched forward in bed. "When, exactly, do you think I'll be ready for... excitement?"

Trudy blinked, confusion written plainly upon her face.

Nolan, on the other hand, chuckled. "Surely the Mating Ceremony can wait until you're feeling better, Charlotte?"

Heat crept up my neck, and I shoved an elbow into Nolan's side. Given my injuries, the prod lacked the umph that I'd intended, a measly punishment for my mate's exposure of my true worries. He laughed again, and even Trudy chuckled at the interaction.

She shook her head, packing her medical instruments back into her doctor's bag. "I am in no place to order you to cancel such a happy celebration, especially since I think the pack could benefit from such an occasion right about now. I'm sure you and the Alpha can think of some way to avoid anything too... strenuous."

I was mortified. My cheeks were flaming, and my teeth were clenched tight as I managed to plaster a tight smile on my lips. "Thank you," I said, smile turning into a grimace.

"Thank you," Trudy replied. Her eyes were far more serious now. "For what you did. You ended the fight before we sustained even more losses. The pack is indebted to you."

I paused. I didn't know what to say. 'You're welcome' didn't seem appropriate. I didn't want to be thanked. It was the least that I could do to help the werewolves that were laying down their lives to protect me. Tears stung my eyes for what felt like the one hundredth time since waking up. I could only nod, as Trudy bowed her head and took her leave.

When the door closed behind her, Nolan leaned down to press his lips against my forehead. "Moon Goddess, I love you."

I swallowed the lump in my throat and closed my eyes beneath his kiss. "I don't want anyone to thank me," I whispered.

"You saved our pack, Charlie. I don't think anyone will forget that anytime soon," he replied, taking a seat on the edge of the bed. One of his hands still clutched the thin blanket around his naked torso.

I shook my head. "The hybrids are still out there. I didn't save anyone. I only postponed their attack for another day." The truth of my own words shook me to the core. The hybrids would attack again, with their entire army, and they wouldn't be stopped this time.

"You gave us time," Nolan reminded me. "We have time to figure out a way to stop them now. The Gemini Coven are already searching for more ways. The Broken Valley Pack and Celestial Pack are helping as well. Even some members of the Golden Walkers have come to our territory to help, following your father's lead."

So, the Western Packs were united, finally. Bound together to combat a common enemy. On any other occasion, the thought of such an alliance would send shivers down my spine. Now, it only left me filled with dread. I took a deep breath and shifted my attention elsewhere. "My father and brother? Lizzie?"

"They are all waiting downstairs, very eager to see you." Nolan's fingers twined with mine. "So are Abby and baby Landon, Raegan, and countless others. I'm sure they'll swarm this room as soon as I give the word."

Simultaneous joy and dread flooded my stomach. Joy because my family and friends had survived, and they loved me and wanted to see me. Dread because I felt exhausted. My body was tired and aching, and I wanted to sleep more than anything. Sleep in Nolan's arms. But how could I ask my family and friends to wait any longer?

I nodded. "You can send them up. But, you'll stay, won't you?"

It was Nolan's turn to nod. "Always," he whispered, and pressed his unfathomably soft lips against mine.

What began as a chaste reminder of his affection slowly grew into something more, as I opened my lips and deepened the kiss. His tongue swept across my bottom lip, and I leaned forward to capture his dark curls in my fingers, holding him close. Nolan groaned, releasing his hold on the blanket and using both hands to brace my cheeks. I tugged on his shoulders, bringing him closer toward the center of the bed.

He obeyed my silent command, shifting until his body hovered over mine on the bed. I was painfully aware that the blanket had slipped down his waist, falling open across his front. A warmth thrummed deep within me, pooling in my core. I pressed my thighs together to staunch the arousal that threatened to undo me, but Nolan's body was already there.

A nightgown and thin sheet separated our bodies as the absolute hardness of his length ground against the apex of my thighs. I gasped at the sheer size of him, his shaft pressing against my abdomen. Adrenaline superseded any pain that I might have felt from the contact so close to my wrapped wound.

Nolan tore his lips from mine, sucking in a sharp breath. I opened my eyes to see that his pupils had dilated until only a sliver of blue remained. "Your scent," he growled, and I shuddered at the sound of it.

"It's yours," I whispered, hips rising beneath the sheets. My fingers tugged at the roots of his hair. "Only yours."

"I plan on claiming it. Thoroughly." Nolan nipped at my bottom lip, his voice gravel in his chest. "But your father is on his way up to this room, right now." I thought I detected anger and frustration underlying his words as he explained further. "I told Raegan to send your family up when you gave the okay. I didn't realize..."

He trailed off, but he didn't need to finish his sentence. He didn't realize that things were going to escalate, and I hadn't realized it either. I nodded and sat up as soon as Nolan rolled off me. "After the Mating Ceremony, then," I replied, a bit out of breath.

Nolan nodded, resituating the blanket on his hips, but the evidence of his want was blaringly obvious beneath the thin fabric. "I'd better find some pants before your father decides to revoke his blessing."

"His blessing?" I echoed.

He chuckled. "I'm old-fashioned."

It was the only reply I would get, before Nolan pushed from the bed and retreated across the room. He started rummaging in a dresser. Every guest bedroom in a werewolf packhouse was stocked with spare clothing, since werewolves so seldom managed to get out of their clothes before shifting. My mate found a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt to change into, seconds before a knock sounded on the other side of the bedroom door.

I took a deep breath, forced my thoughts to focus on anything besides Nolan's bare backside as he slid the pants on each leg, and mustered the courage to face the world again...

. . . .

Trudy had been right. The pack needed the happiness of the prospect of a Mating Ceremony. As soon as I announced it to my family, to Lizzie, Abby, and any other visitor, their faces brightened. There had been so much death and destruction and uncertainty, that the Mating Ceremony offered a joyous distraction to everyone.

Soon, almost every member of the pack was doing something to prepare for the occasion. I was grateful for their help, even though I'd always dreamed of planning my own wedding or Mating Ceremony, whichever came first. But, given everything that had happened, I'd lost the desire to choose my dress and the flowers and food...

With the Mating Ceremony details handled, I took the opportunity to rest over the next few days, just as Trudy had prescribed. I was seldom left alone. When Nolan was not by my side, Dylan or Angelina came to offer their company. Sometimes, the unlikely pair came together, and their constant bickering brought a smile to my face. When I teasingly asked them to stop flirting, they both objected profusely.

I took every opportunity to speak with the pack members who had lost a family member in the battle. Their grief was palpable, even though they tried to contain it in my presence by offering words of gratitude and gifts. I spent more hours crying with Nolan after their visits than I would like to admit.

And, at night, I experienced death again and again. I awoke screaming and in tears as I reimagined the afterlife, but, in my dreams, I was unable to find my way back to the ring. In my dreams, Sarah and Lyra faded into nothingness and I was alone. The nightmares became so prominent that I feared closing my eyes, refused to sleep unless Trudy gave me a strong sleeping draught to pull me into darkness.

Despite it all, the days passed. Before I knew it, it was the evening before the Mating Ceremony.

The pack house was abuzz. An entire new regiment of rogues had arrived that afternoon, with Dominic at the helm. Whoever was not occupied with planning the Mating Ceremony was ensuring that the newcomer-rogues were given a hearty meal and a proper place to sleep.

Nolan had gone to meet with Dominic, my father, Zephora, Alpha Kayan, and Alpha Nicklaus in his office to discuss their recent findings regarding the hybrids. He promised he wouldn't be gone for long, but an hour passed, and I found myself feeling restless. It was nearing dinner time, but I had long since lost my appetite.

I paced back and forth in my bedroom, but when I was alone, the grief became unbearable and my thoughts too loud. I couldn't take it any longer, and, for the first time since waking, I left the guest bedroom by myself. I didn't know where my feet were taking me, I just knew that I had to get out of the suffocating space.

With shocking stealth, I crept through the hallways, down the stairs, and out of the pack house door. If anyone saw me, no one said anything or tried to corral me back to the safety of my bedroom.

I was grateful for it, especially when the cool night air fanned my cheeks as I exited the pack house and entered the crisp autumn evening. The thin white nightgown that had become my uniform over the past few days did very little to protect against the cold, but I already felt numb to it. Perhaps death numbed you to many things—including the cold.

My bare feet traveled quickly across the thick grass, eager to take me away from the field where my family and friends had been slaughtered. I followed a path that had been freshly laid, leading to a glen far behind the pack house. I didn't know where I was going until I arrived.

Dozens of freshly placed gravestones rose in a uniform pattern above the ground. The final resting place of those that had lost their lives fighting for me. Guilt suffocated me, and I moved hastily throughout the sea of carved limestone, searching for one name. One name that I hadn't grieved for properly—not yet-- because Nolan did not speak of his deceased sister. The pain was still too much to bear.

Finally, I found it. A gravestone that read: Here lies Sophia, beloved sister and friend.

My heart spasmed in my chest. I imagined it was the sensation of heartbreak, and I fell to my knees at Sophia's grave. Dirt and wet ground seeped through the fabric of my nightgown, but I scarcely cared. Tears sprung to the surface of my eyes, an all-too-familiar feeling. I shuddered a sob.

"Moon Goddess, I've been waiting for you to come visit. You look like hell, Charlie," a voice, Sophia's voice, teased.

I gasped, lip trembling, and froze in place. Every hair on the back of my neck stood up as I turned, vision blurred, and saw her.

Sophia. 

Fortsæt med at læse

You'll Also Like

1.8M 71.4K 71
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* Spin off to "Abused Mate'" You do not need to read AM to understand this book but I would appreciate it if you di...
3M 105K 46
"You were made for me. And I, for you." His breath is right beside my ear and I tightly shut my eyes closed. He leans down closer. "I was made to lo...
3.8M 119K 36
Everly is a werewolf living in a pack where no one wants her. Her mother and father don't treat her the same as her beautiful sister. She has learned...
43.5M 220K 49
2021 NEW EDITION | COMPLETED From dodging airborne slot machines to an unplanned swim in the fountain of a luxury hotel, it's safe to say that a tr...