One Step At a Time

By Idontknowwhattoname4

Arabelle Vine, a 22 year old photographer in Seattle Washington, is happy with her current life. She has frie... More

Introduction
Characters
Chapter 1: Pain
Chapter 2: Training
Chapter 3: Guys Night Out
Chapter 4: Parents
Chapter 5: Him
Chapter 6: Girls Night Out
Chapter 7: Shower
Chapter 8: Eye Contact
Chapter 9: Mystery Girl
Chapter 10: Nacho Cheese
Chapter 11: Homecoming
Chapter 12: Text message
Chapter 13: Dog park
Chapter 14: Model
Chapter 15: Cooties
Chapter 16: Beautiful
Chapter 18: Pretty Boy
Chapter 19: Middle Names
Chapter 20: Paparazzi
Chapter 21: Kiss Me
Chapter 22: One Step At a Time
Chapter 23: Ideas
Chapter 24: Taste
Chapter 25: Cat Scratch
Chapter 26: Crazy Bitch
Chapter 27: My girl
Chapter 28: Home
Chapter 29: Things Happen
Chapter 30: You Were Always Mine
Chapter 31: Something is Wrong
Chapter 32: I need her
Chapter 33: I'm Sorry
Chapter 34: Surprise
Chapter 35: Promise Ring
Chapter 36: Good Vibrations
Chapter 37: Thanksgiving
Chapter 38: Mr.Darcy
Epilogue
NEW BOOK!

Chapter 17: Skipping stones

11.4K 201 31
By Idontknowwhattoname4

Roman: Be ready at 7:00 tonight, I'm taking you somewhere.

I stare down at the text as I'm sitting on my couch, I just sent the pictures to Arina. I pick my phone up, glancing at the clock to see it's 5:30.

What do you have planned?

Roman: you'll have to wait and see ;)

Well that doesn't help. Do I wear a dress, jeans, shorts? It's pretty hot out today so is it outside? As I'm thinking this he sends another text.

Roman: wear a bathing suit under your clothes

A ping from my computer forces me to look away from my phone, and focus back on my work. I see a new email from Arina.

Arabelle,

   Thank you so much for working with us this past weekend. Your work is flawless, and I am so happy that I decided to work with you on Sunday. You are incredibly talented and I will definitely be looking to work with you again. Look out for another email from me.  I have sent your check in the mail, Thank you again.

-Arina Petrov

I smile down at my computer before deciding to go check my mailbox. I don't remember the amount of money she owes me, but I'm sure I wrote it down somewhere.

I sigh as I pull myself up from the couch. I don't think I've moved from the couch at all today except to pee and eat. It's just one of those days.

I've been having a lot of trouble sleeping lately. For a little bit my nightmares stopped. I was sleeping peacefully through the night, and waking up early like I used too. But now their back, and I've only been able to sleep until around 5 am before I have a nightmare.

I end up to scared to go back to sleep, so I'll shower and make myself hot chocolate. I'll make myself comfy on the couch and read or watch a show, before I end up falling back to sleep hours later.

I slip on my slippers and grab my keys off the hook. I'm still in my leopard pajama pants and white zip up hoodie.

I shuffle towards the elevator, covering my mouth as I yawn. My hair was last brushed after my shower at 6 this morning, and I'm sure it's a mess.

The elevator opens and I step inside. As the door is closing someone's hand blocks the door.

"Sorry." The door opens to reveal a tall lanky blonde guy. He steps inside, shoving his hands in his short pockets.

"What floor?" I ask as I press my floor number.

"Seems like we're going to the same floor." He tells me as he watches me press floor number one.

Soft elevator music plays in the background, filling the awkward silence.

"I'm Ivan." He turns toward me sticking his hand out, "I just moved in on the 8th floor."

"Arabelle." I tell him, shaking his hand. "I live on the 8th floor as well." The elevator door opens before either of us can say anything else.

"I'll see you around." Ivan says to me as we part ways. I wave to him as I make my way toward my mailbox. I slide the key into the lock, opening it up.

I pull out a random magazine that I'm subscribed to. I never really read them but I don't feel like canceling them. Along with the magazine is an envelope addressed to me.

I close and lock my mailbox, making my way back upstairs. I slide my finger under the seal of the envelope, opening it.

I step back into the elevator and press the 8th button. I pull the check out as the elevator begins to move up.

Holy fucking shit!

"Holy fuck." I mutter as I stare at the check.

Eight thousand dollars for only a 6 hour shoot.

"What the fuck. This can't be right."

I normally only charge between a hundred to two hundred an hour, depending on the type of shoot. And I charged 140 for this shoot, so I should only have around 840 dollars. Plus she didn't even want me to edit them, which would cost more.

I immediately call Mrs.Petrov, I can't except this.

Mrs.Petrov picks up after the third ring.

"Arabelle darling. What can I do for you."

"Mrs.Petr-"

"Arina, please call me Arina."

"Arina," I start, " I just got your check, and I just can't except this. It's way to much."

"Nonsense Arabelle, you deserve it. These pictures are going to be on the front cover of a very popular fashion magazine. Plus I always pay a little extra."

"A little extra-"

"It's nothing really Arabelle, bye bye."

"No Arina." I groan as she ends the call, it is not like I don't want the money. Because I definitely do, I just feel bad excepting it.

But there's nothing I can do about it.

The elevator opens and I make my way back into my apartment.

Time to get ready for my date?

Is it even a date?

••••••

A knock on my door startles me, I've been standing in front of the mirror for a while now.

I don't know if I can be in a bathing suit in front of him.

I am wearing an orange and pink flower bikini, that ties behind my neck and on both sides of my hips. Over top of it I'm wearing simple jean shorts and an oversized t-shirt. Along with some flip flops.

I hurry over to the door, brushing through my hair with my fingers.

"Hi." I say as I swing open the door. Roman stands there, he's in a dark grey bathing suit and a dark green shirt.

"Hey beautiful." He flashes his perfect smile at me, "ready to go?"

"Yup, just let me grab my phone and purse."

"Oh you don't need your purse, but you should bring your camera."

"My camera?" I ask, grabbing my phone and my walking over to my camera bag.

"Don't question me Belle, just trust me."

"I trust you."

I lock my door and he puts his arm around my shoulder. As we make our way towards the elevator I see Ivan entering his apartment. He notices me and sends me a smile. I smile back as we enter the elevator.

"Remind me where we're going again."

"I don't believe I ever told you, now did I?" He remarks as I turn towards him.

"Come on, I hate surprises." He smirks at me as I glare at him.

The elevator door opens, he puts his arm around my waist as we walk out. "Come on sweetheart, you said you trusted me."

I narrow my eyes up at him as we walk out of my apartment building. Surprisingly it's very hot out. August is coming to an end, and soon my favorite season will start.

We make our way towards his car.

Holy shit. He's got an Audi R8.

He opens the passenger side for me, before walking to his side.

"How far away is the place we are going?" I ask as I buckle up.

"Around 20 minutes." He turns on the radio, and taps his thumbs against his steering wheel.

~Play runaway by Mat Kearney~

15 minutes later, Runaway by May Kearney plays on the radio, and I hum along.

I see Roman look at me from the side, and turn up the music. He rolls down the windows, and turns onto a dirt road.

The wind blows my hair, I stick my hand out the window. I look over at Roman to see him already looking at me. He has one hand out the window, holding onto the roof, the other grips the steering wheel.

He smiles at me before he presses on the gas. The road is deserted as he picks up speed. He winks as me and turns his eyes back on the road. The song still blasts as the world zooms by us in a blur outside the window.

I laugh as we speed down the empty road. I can see the dirt flying up behind us from the side mirror.

He begins to slow down as a lake comes into view. It's crystal clear and instead of sand, it's surrounded by stones.

"Oh my god Ro." I gasp

"You like it?"

"It's gorgeous."

He parks the car and gets out, walking over to my side. I grab my bag, and he opens the door for me, grabbing my hand. He interlocks our hands, helping me walk across the stones. He walks us to the end of the lake.

"Do you know how to skip rocks?"

"I've tried, but it never works."

Here," he leans down, picking up a smooth flat rock. "You have to find the perfect flat stone, and angle your hand up, and throw it straight forward on top of the water."

He throws it perfectly, and it skips four times before sinking to the bottom.

"Now you try." He kicks his feet through the rocks, bending down and picking up another perfect one. He walks over to me and places it in my hand.

I do as he says and throw it. It fails, and immediately sinks. I groan and tilt my head towards him, a small smile on my face. He laughs under his breath, picking up another rock and standing behind me.

"Here, let me help." He grabs my hand, placing the stone in my palm. He grabs my hips with his hands and turns my body to the side. I feel my heart rate pick up at his closeness. He picks up my hand and angles it up.

"Make sure your facing the side, not forward." He whispers in my ear, "and then throw it." He pulls my arm back with his, and throws it. It bounces three times before it sinks.

"I did it." I smile, turning my head to face him. My breath hitches in my throat at how close we are. He smiles back at me, his eyes flicker to my lips for a brief second.

"So are we gonna go swimming?" I whisper as we continue to stare at each other.

"Yeah." He makes no effort to move away, so I face forward again and pull out of his grasp.

I face him again and pull my shirt over my head, never loosing eye contact with him. I shake my hair out, tossing my shirt onto the ground. I kick my shoes off and slide my shorts down. He stares at me the whole time.

"Are you coming or what?" I ask as I turn around, walking into the lake. I add a little sway to my hips as I move farther, giving him a show. I stop just above my knees, the water is freezing.

I stare out at the view in front of me. It's beautiful. I hear him move behind me, and then I hear the click of my camera.

I turn around, hearing him take another picture once I'm facing him. He's standing there smiling with the camera up to his face.

"Stop it." I laugh, he pulls the camera away from his face, his smile never dropping.

"God your gorgeous." He says.

I blush and look down. He walks back to my camera bag, placing it inside. He kicks off his shoes, and pulls his shirt over his head using one hand.

I can't help but stare at him. His upper body is perfectly toned, muscles in places I didn't even know existed. I watch as he smirks at me before backing up.

"Don't you dare." I try and move back quickly in the water, but I'm to slow.

He comes running towards me and tackles me into the water. He makes sure not to hit me hard, as we get submerged under the freezing water.

His booming laugh hits my ears when I emerge from the water.

"Oh you are so dead Roman King!" I yell as he tries to swim away from me.

"Catch me if you can." He laughs, watching me struggle to catch up.

"I hate you." I say as I stop and tread in the water.

"Oh, no need to lie beautiful." He grins at me, water drips down his face from his hair. His arms move through the water, creating ripples on the surface.

"Woah." I whisper, pretending to look behind him. He turns his head, and as he's distracted, I push his head under water.

I laugh as I feel him grab my hips under the water, and pull me closer to him. He's just barely able to stand here, his head the only part of his body above the water. He comes back up, a playful scowl on his face.

"Now that wasn't very nice." He teases before he lifts me up and tosses me into the air. I scream as I crash into the water.

I gasp as I tread in the water, opening my eyes. I can hear him laughing behind me.

"Okay, now I really hate you." I fake frown at him, as I turn around.

"Keep telling yourself that sweetheart." He says, continuing to laugh at me.

It's really hard to be mad at him when he looks so happy.

I huff before swimming back over to him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WORD COUNT: 2193

A/N

Belles bikini

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.4M 101K 49
Dakota is just like every other 17 year old high school senior. Or that's what everyone thinks. Everyone sees Dakota as this funny, sarcastic, and...
36.2K 2.1K 39
Two personalities from different worlds. Can the troubled pasts that brought them to the same place bring them LOVE? Can love endure their troubled p...
7.7K 269 45
*TW: mention of disease* Madellaine Wilson A 18 year old girl. Living. Dreaming. A friend. A family. Sounds like the perfect life right ? But this p...
838K 16K 53
[COMPLETE] "You know for someone who's a virgin you sure do talk about sex a lot." He says. "You should see the type of books I read. As for the vi...