The Exiled Gem

Galing kay Maplebell

Exiled from her own land - to be executed if she ever returns, Princess Alexandra finds herself turning a spy... Higit pa

A Princess' World
The Great Arrival
Mistakes Make Changes
The Exiled Gem
Greetings of Exile
The Shelter for Abandoned Kids and Orphans
The Independence Day March
Two Crossroads
The Master and the Stalker
Two Types of Examiners
Sweet Vengeance
Two Tales of Change
The Second Year's Miracle
The Tournament Begins
Dueling A Buffalo
The Matches in the Thunderstorm
Where the Thoughts Go
Black Daggers
Idgardian Laws: A Neutral Study
Second Year Test
Wind in the Basement
Never Incur A Debt
Master George's Judgement
Mabel in a Mouse-trap
The Elf's Tale
The Spider and The Fly
Traitor's Correspondence
Sweet Poison
Not a Bit of Conceit
The Second Pair
Captain Exclusive
The Merciless Pang
A Spy's World
Camphor in the Library
The Passing Out Ceremony
Jade and the Pendant
Queenly Queen Olivia
He Deserves Better
Infirmary Visits
One Assassin Down
Letter of Apology
The Bloodless Method
Extreme Need of a Holiday
Sister Heiress
An Egregious Discovery
A Vow of Maidenhood
Group Trial
Fiery-Flaring Pride
Paradise Courting Club
Watson's Shortcuts
An Uninvited Pursuit
Mary and Mark
Spies Catch a Spy
A Heroic Fall
Enormous Mistake
Change of Leader
Let's Reunite
Concern for Diana
A Clash and A Confession
Embracing the Past
Three Cape Ladies Club
Lady Derk of Doveland
The No-Entry Room
Other Side of the Tale
Irreparable Breaks
Attractions
Rise in Correspondence
Hollow Armors
New Head of Espionage
Mediocre Eights
Poisonous Pearls
Can't Clap with a Single Hand
The House of Metanoia
Desperate Changes
The Messy Head Business
Triangular Plot
Broach of Merit
Feelings and Fears
Janus-Faced Fannel
Never Tempt Fate
The Worst Reunion
Single-Handed Carnage
An Effortless Revenge
A Frustrating Loss
Broken Promises
Mabel Leaves for Good
Meetings and Trauma
That Lady with Golden Eyes
Unhurried Tutor
Relentless Improvement
Graying Hair and Amber Eyes
The Sibling Rivalry
The Second Gem
A/N
Ophelia

Men Will Be Men

183 19 2
Galing kay Maplebell

Alexandra's voice, was the one thing she could be thankful for.

Riding into the mess of mangled bodies and the red earth, an unconscious aunt piled in front of her, on Mercury, Alexandra had had one sweeping look of the situation.

Nothing very different from what she had left behind. But now, it was the time to end it.

She cleared her throat. She rubbed her palms together for the energy. And then - finally, she bellowed with all the strength she could muster, 'STO-O-OP!'

Alexandra had never known that she could roar so loud. And so effectively. Had she known of it - she would have done this before! Immediately, all around her - somehow - the soldiers stopped. Swords were brought down, nocked arrows were retrieved. And as they did, Austin spotted her. Call them off! Alexandra mouthed to him. His eyes travelled to the black robed aunt and he immediately understood.

'IDGARDIANS! TERMINATE!' He yelled. The order was repeated in a voice Alexandra clearly recognized as the Commander's. And all the generals echoed it to their troops. Instantly, more than three-fourth of the men dropped their weapons. They closed ranks and backed off, some striding, some stumbling and others supporting the ones who could do neither. As soon as that was done, Nicholas didn't even have to yell. The Ethorians already seemed halfhearted, a fleeing mass of terrified men - they, out of their own free wills, closed ranks and retreated.

A clear gap of about three hundred yards stretched in front of the two armies. It had taken just two voices to stop them. But the Idgardians still looked intent upon war, more so than ever before, because they now knew Ethoris to be the real offender. In fact, as she watched, the Idgardian Army fidgeted and seethed with discontent. And then, before anybody could realize a thing, they started forward, with louder yells of bloodlust. A few generals tried to maintain order, a few grappled hopelessly - but the majority, on horsebacks, incited their troops further on. Alexandra watched Austin's mouth fall open - the commander was no where to be to seen. And the Vedessan troops had rebelled. 

Caught in a wave of panic against the advancing roll of men, she yanked Mercury backwards, and it was more than eager to obey. But as her horse retreated, another stallion galloped ahead riding on which, his face bearing the gravest look she had ever seen - was Liam.

'No worries now, Mercury.' She whispered, stopping and abandoning the idea of retreating. 'It takes a king - a real Emperor - to do this.'

And for once she was right. Coming to a halt amid the soldiers who were still forging on, Liam raised his hands in a placating gesture. 'IT IS ENOUGH, VEDESSANS! THIS MASSACRE IS BENEATH YOU - TERMINATE!' 

And it sufficed. Somehow, it did. They were not happy with it, they were still vengeful, but they were Idgardians after all. No Idgardian had to heart to disappoint Liam. They stopped midway, hisses and waves of low protests followed: all of which Liam heard, but shook his head decidedly. And perhaps that was where all his time went - why he seemed to perpetually be busy. It would not have been an exaggeration to say that each soldier seemed to know him personally, seemed to believe that they - and only they - had his full confidence. And that was the reason they listened, the reason - when he unsheathed his sword and let it fall to the ground - they followed suit with their own weapons. Dropping the weapons was the ultimate gesture of concluding a war - thankfully, Alexandra was no soldier. She would killed everybody present (bar the Idgardians) rather than dropping Moira.

Since it was now a truce, she dismounted. Holding Mercury by the reins, she walked for a few yards, not very sure where she intended to go. But when she stopped, Mercury simply bowed his head down - allowing the Aunt to drop to the ground.

Austin dismounted. He stared down at the mass of black and bit his lips uncertainly.

Through some unknown sorcery, since he had been at the head of his troops until a minute ago, behaving like one of them and no emperor, Liam materialized beside her. He had one look at Sabel, pressed his lips until they were bloodless, and gazed coldly at Austin, who seemed to be shrinking into the ground.

Finally, Nicholas walked into the scene. He didn't even look at his mother. He simply turned to Austin and said, breaking the silence, 'so, now?'

Alexandra wondered where Mark was. Anywhere, but preferably not near here with three people - two of which were her brothers he didn't ought to know about. Austin continued to stare at Sabel.

'Turn her up,' he ordered. Alexandra made the dirtiest face she could conjure at him, and then knelt down. She pulled the aunt over, exposing her face. Austin raised his eyebrows. 'But she is only here - how do I know that all this was her plot? That Nicholas never died - that,' he gave Nicholas a suspicious look, 'that he is Nicholas?'

'Check the coffin!' Alexandra barked, 'I'll eat grass if it is not empty! And you saw the funeral. You should know!'

Austin stared down at her. He then looked sideways, 'She did open the coffin one last time. She did put her head on his chest - she could have done that ... realized a heartbeat ...' He ventured, 'but that doesn't mean just anybody will come and say, I'm Nicholas - your cousin who died. I actually am alive. I certainly do not believe that this man is Nicholas! Where is the physical resemblance?!'

Alexandra could have pushed Moira into his gut. She was so angry right then - if somebody did not want to believe, how could they do make him?! And why was Austin not letting go. Why was he not believing them - what did Alexandra stand to gain from tricking him? She had never even wanted to be sucked back into the whole Royal-People's messy business.

'Right.' Liam agreed, crossing his arms. 'Right - how can he be Nicholas, since he doesn't look the way he did when he was nine. I know how you looked when you were nine, Sir.' he said, stressing the "sir" for a little longer, as if to emphasize how difficult it was to call Austin that. 'And you must know what Alexandra was like when she was nine.' Liam continued, 'How much of a resemblance there is - now - you be the judge.' He shrugged. 'But surely, your superior intelligence needs more proof. Am I wrong?' 

There was not the slightest reply to this. Perhaps Austin was seething at all the covert insults Liam had thrown his way in that dialogue.

'I am not,' Liam nodded. 'Fine, why don't we just ask the ... lady.' He offered, kneeling down over Aunt Sabel and turning to look at Alexandra.

You are legendary, his eyes praised, not looking like they were the same pair that had been boring into Austin a moment ago.

I'm just me. Alexandra replied, winking.

Austin cleared his throat audibly, ungently reminding them of the situation. 'Yes, so since we do not have water - in order to wake her up - anybody who has got a dirty, smelly shoe can volunteer...' Liam ventured, his hand reaching his chin, in an effort to dissolve any emotions that could have appeared involuntarily. 

'So we make her sniff it?' Alexandra asked, almost snorting. 'Wait there - mine has got a revolting cherry scent - I would love to volunteer. But does it really work?' She added, raising her eyebrows. Liam tilted his head to the right in a nothing has changed - you still don't believe me look.

'If it is unpleasant enough, Agent, the thing will work.' He nodded.

Alexandra grinned, pushing back her hair. It was hard to remember that she was still officially Liam's employee - and "Mabel". And practically, Austin was already defeated, Nicholas was good as vanquished just now - did Liam realize he could order everybody around? The thing was almost funny. Shaking her head, she pulled off her right boot and hovered it over her aunt's nostrils. Sabel's face contracted in agony and her nose wrinkled. She shook her head to and fro for a while before shooting a hand out and slamming the boot out of Alexandra's hand. Then the Aunt sat up, wide awake.

'It worked!' Alexandra exclaimed, getting up and retrieving her boot. Despite what Liam had said, she had thought the chances were slim. But here they were. 

'Good morning,' Liam greeted Aunt Sabel, rather politely.

She said nothing in reply. Sabel just sat there, looking remarkably like a corpse. Austin shook his head, 'She has lost her mind.' He declared.

Alexandra leaned towards Liam, 'You think she has?' She asked him, in an uncertain whisper. It would be another problem if that was true. Another skirmish, another reason for battle. But knowing Sabel, this could be just one of her tricks.

'There's only one way to know,' Liam replied. He stood up, spread his arms open to the sides and took a step towards the Aunt. 'I would love to give you a hug.' he informed, taking another step closer. Nicholas and Austin's mouths were half-open. For a second Aunt Sabel didn't budge. He knelt down dangerously close to her. Still, no movement. And then, just as Liam was about to wrap his arms around Sabel, she shot backwards like a cannon.

'STAY AWAY!' She shrieked. 'Don't touch me with your - your dirty blood!' Aunt Sabel added, spewing severe profanities in a single breath.

'There.' Liam concluded, expressionlessly. Alexandra wondered if he would have really embraced Sabel in case she hadn't shown the clear objection. She was quite sure she would have stabbed him for it.

'I'm Nicholas, your son.' Nicholas said, taking a step forward and staring at Aunt Sabel.

'No more!' She lashed, in reply. 'I disowned you - and I don't know who you are!' She added, her eyes burning in rage. But it was clearer than glass: Nicholas was ... well, Nicholas. Austin had an unreadable expression as he exhaled, accepting defeat. 

But Alexandra wasn't done yet. She needed to know more - know how whatever had happened, had happened. 'So,' she continued, walking over to the Aunt and grabbing her by the hair, forcing her face up to look into the tiny, brown eyes. 'How did this happen - how did you get him back? When did you do all this?' She demanded.

'You think I will ever let you know?' Aunt Sabel hissed, having lost everything, but not her vileness. 'Keep thinking - you won't get a single thing from me.' She added.

'I wouldn't do that.' Liam advised, before Alexandra could reply. 'Saying this out of genuine concern: I would co-operate with her. Alexandra is a spy. She knows that finest tortures.' 

'I could show some.' She offered. When Aunt Sabel didn't react at all, she raised her hand and brought it down towards the Ethorian's cheek, as if to smack her across the face. Sabel instantly closed her eyes and looked away, expecting the blow. But Alexandra just knew it wouldn't be necessary, so she stopped herself midway, the palm still facing towards Sabel. 'Tell me. Or I'll make you regret being born.' She warned.

There was no response, not even the slightest movement. 

'Oh wreck this!' Alexandra cursed, relinquishing her hold on Sabel's tresses and straightening up, her arms on her hips. She looked around, bit her lips and walked up to Liam. She stared at him for a minute, what card was such that Aunt Sabel's shell would crack? What did she hate the most?

Liam.

Liam!

Dropping her hands to the sides, she flew back to her aunt and knelt down against her. 'My dearest aunt, please tell me what happened.' She entreated, in the politest voice possible. Of course she was not graced with a reply. Alexandra was aware Austin was listening, this was the best chance for it.

'The ring you crushed underfoot, Aunt,' she continued harshly, giving up the polite tone, as the last resort, 'was just a symbol of what has happened - and what will happen, for sure.' She told her, and despite the ordeals, Sabel was listening to her. 'I am going to - in all certainty - marry Liam. And you know what that means?' She asked, through gritted teeth, 'Apart from a lot of other things, it means that I am staying in Idgard. And until you give me the answers I want, you are staying under my nose, Sabel. Which means, you are going to be Liam's prisoner.' 

Sabel's eyes darted upwards at the intimation. Her chest rose and fell - if her eyes could burn, Alexandra would have combusted to dust right then. But the plan worked better than she had even imagined, Sabel seemed to have swallowed something large and unpleasant. She would rather die than be Liam's prisoner.

'You heard that right.' Alexandra nodded, 'His prisoner. And at his mercy every second you breathe - oh I shall make you breathe - for that matter. Think of it, Aunt. You have lost everything - why do you want to spend every second in mortification? Just tell me what it was that happened to Nicholas, that night - and you can then go to Doveland. As a prisoner, of course. But is not Doveland a better choice? Would you not choose seeing Austin and Rose over seeing Liam and me? Would you not choose humility over humiliation? You are a wise woman. You have heard both the choices.'

That was the finest deception she had ever made. That was the pinnacle of her success, when she won over her nemesis. And alone. And with wits, with brains, not brawn. Alexandra watched as Sabel stared at her, their eyes clashing stoutly. And in that moment, an age-old rivalry ended in the Ethorian's defeat. She looked down - and then looked at Liam. Hard and straight, as if she was forcing herself to. Sabel's face almost contorted with the effort - and why it was so - Alexandra had no idea. Liam seemed to remind her of her worst days, her worst defeat.

'I am gifted.' Sabel confessed, in a little over a whisper, exhaling and looking down again. 'I was always interested in healing. I know a stupor when I see one.' She said.

'And?' Alexandra demanded. 'Recount everything.' She ordered.

'It was a blackout Nicholas was having. And he had had them earlier, when he had been younger. I knew well enough his pulse and breath would be abnormally slow - because both his heart and lungs are ... were weak. And at times of extreme stress - they couldn't function normally. The medics had told us as much. Trusted, Ethorian medics. I was meanwhile afraid that even after the alliance, Doveland would refuse to aid me against Vedessa. Adelard was foolishly prudent. So when I saw what you had done - invoked Nicholas' stupor - and that your stupid sister Rose, thought he had died ... I had a sudden idea. I bribed the Dovish medics - I asked them to inform Adelard that Nicholas had died. I promised to have their families wiped out if even the slightest word got out. That was the way I could bring Doveland at a disadvantage. I then demanded-'

'An immediate funeral, right at night. And by the time it was morning - you were gone! Even before Doveland had woken up. You left us just a note. And you smuggled Nicholas out - possibly with the help of those medics!' Austin completed, his eyes wide. He was shaking - with disgust and anger.  Alexandra herself was thrown aback. She had suspected that. She had pleaded all of it while being dragged out of court. If only, King Adelard had listened to her, everything would have been so different. At the same time, she was not upset in the slightest. The exile had helped her find herself. The exile had given her a true, independent identity. Why would she regret that?

'Oh, of course I did!' Sabel continued, now in a positive rant. 'But this pest - this curse -!' She spat, glaring at Liam, who cheerfully ignored her. He was back among the Idgardian troops, Alexandra did not know what he was doing, but perhaps he was checking the damage that had happened after six hours of war. Not too many, but Liam was a different monarch. Perhaps it was compulsiveness, but he was not satisfied until he had seen everything for himself. 'The bane of - my - life!' Sabel continued, 'He deserves no better than the heel of my sandal - the hem of my robes. Son of a wretched...' but she seemed to find no word good enough, or derogatory enough, to fill the space with. Perhaps that was why she turned her attention to Alexandra. 'You - hah, I spit on you! Could you just not die?!' She demanded, finally accepting Alexandra as kin, 'You do not know him! Infidelity runs in his veins, lass! You will regret trusting him - you will regret loving him - you will suffer all your life!'

Fat chance.  

'I befriended suffering the day you arrived in Doveland, Aunt Sabel.' Alexandra told her, 'You will just answer what is asked.'

And she had the same question over again - why was Sabel so against Vedessa? And Liam? Infidelity running in his veins? That pointed towards the most dangerous waters there could be.

She had just opened her mouth to voice out her curiosity, but a warm hand on her shoulder stopped her. Alexandra looked up to see who it was. Liam, he had the swiftest teleportation techniques, shook his head with almost a pleading look, kneeling down beside her. 'Don't ask that.' He beseeched, in a low voice. 'I know why - I'll tell you, I promise.'

Alexandra hadn't heard him implore that earnestly ever before. Even if he had been saying, "please kill yourself", she would have happily obliged. And this was the tiniest of things. The first time he was asking something out of her - how could Alexandra disappoint him? 

She grinned, 'Hold that thought.' She advised, loosening her grip on Sabel - who seemed to have some magnetic repulsion to Liam and shot back every time he came nearer.

'I'll tell you even if you are shutting your ears and begging me not to.' Liam assured. He then towards towards Austin.

'We would love your thoughts about this Ethorian man now, Sir.' He said, pointing to Nicholas and half a smirk curling up his lips.

'It is undisputable.' Austin declared, in a grunt. 'He is our cousin... Nicholas.'

With that single sentence, it felt as if hundreds of heavy stones had been lifted of Alexandra's chest. She felt coolness entering her head, a wide sense of relief. Finally, they could be out of this mess ... no more triangular problems. And she was alive ... she could contently grow old- watch a gray-haired Liam. A walking-stick holding Watson. A wrinkled Mark. A feeble Diana. And hear even heavier philosophies from Kane. A Sarah who's handwriting had become shaky. A Betty who wouldn't be able to twirl and curtsy. To somebody, those would be sad. The fact that youth would desert them one day. But Alexandra knew she wouldn't mind. She knew what a great achievement it would be on her part to not die prematurely. And added to the type of habits she had... like sleeping with a dagger under her pillow or keeping poison in her waist band... it would be a doubly great achievement.

'But,' Austin interrupted her thoughts, 'which of us will take her?' He asked, gesturing to Aunt Sabel. Liam's grin vanished instantly. His eyes flitted to the Idgardian army.

'Don't you think, Sir, that you are meanwhile forgetting something?' He asked. Austin looked up, his eyes travelled to the Idgardian army too. There was a trace of guilt on his face, but it was covered by stout dignity.

'I - I think so...' he ventured. Liam raised his eyebrows, 'I got it, I got it! I'm sorry!' He announced, raising his hands.

'Sorry? Hundreds of men - ones who were my responsibility - killed. And you say sorry!' Liam thundered. Alexandra walked ahead - making sure to keep an eye on Aunt Sabel. She stopped beside Liam, without consciously meaning anything. Austin's eyes rested on the pair of them for a whole minute.

'Well,' he tilted his head to the side, regarding them, 'first of all - Alexandra - since certain matters are now ... solved ... I wholeheartedly welcome you back to Doveland. Which means to say, with all the assembled noblemen, as my witness: I, Austin, King of Columberra, officially lift your exile.'

Alexandra shrugged. No big moment: no parties or celebrations. She just hoped the next line would not be - come back to Doveland. I'd love to find a suitable groom for you. One whose name certainly won't be Liam.

Thankfully, those were not his words.

'Added to it,' he continued, 'I now give you, Emperor Liam, my - beautiful, young and noble Sister Alexandra, in marriage. As a way of apology,'

Alexandra was about to roll her eyes. Until she heard the word "marriage". And had she heard right? The pocket knife - she had been holding it unconsciously all this while - clattered to the ground from her slackened grip. If she would have held a costly, single-piece, glass sculpture - she would have dropped that too. Heart, after a long time, roared in triumph. Alexandra felt she could wrangle with Aunt Sabel all over again - pursue her another time, in the intense exhilaration. Austin had played the final card well. Somehow, to her, it seemed a fair deal. And a rather pleasurable one, too. 

'Wait,' Liam said, his tone pricking Alexandra's bubble of joy. 'Wait there.' he repeated, 'What was that? Give?' he turned to Alexandra, 'What are you looking so delighted about?! Are you a trophy? Or a bag of gold coins - that you can be given to somebody? And,' he continued, 'those men who died - is this a joke?'

He had a point - one that Alexandra appreciated. Nonetheless, this wasn't the best time to raise that argument. They could keep it for another day. A more relaxed, a more cordial day. As far as Alexandra knew, men were complex creatures too. Who knew where that whole "Alexandra is not a property" argument would reach. And she did NOT want another war. Not now, when things were supposed to have been solved. As far the deaths were concerned, if things weren't reconciled now, there would be more. Many more.

'You mean, I can take my sister back to Doveland?' Austin asked, with a hand to his chin. 'Well, I would be more than happy.' He shrugged, 'I think Cartania's crown prince is still unwed. We could...'

Liam opened his mouth again, but Alexandra had had enough. Where was this even going? She strode ahead, in between the two men.

'Look,' she told Austin, 'I'm staying in Idgard.'

Austin tilted his head to the side and shrugged again, 'Fine,' he said. Alexandra then turned to Liam.

'And I'm marrying you.'

Liam broke into an amused grin, which became a laugh, 'When did I say no?'

Alexandra made a you WERE going in that direction face. Then she stepped back from between them. 'Which means - you two shall be brothers-in-law. Go ahead, embrace!'

The two men stared at her like she had lost her mind. Like they would rather eat stones than embrace. Alexandra knew that expression - she had seen it on Watson's and Fannel's faces when she had asked them to shake hands in her third year term party. Somehow, Alexandra always found herself in the Peacemaker role. But she had always been good at it. Diplomacy seemed to be her talent.

Right now, she simply raised her eyebrows and gave them a challenging stare. 'Do it.' She ordered. If they behaved like kids, she would have to order them.

Austin looked wary. Almost like he was scared that instead of embracing, Liam would crush the breath out of him. The Idgardian looked more stupefied of the two - he shook his head once, stared at Alexandra, then at Austin and then nowhere, perhaps he was wondering if that was a good time to make a run for it.

But it was not. And Liam did not do it.

'Well,' he said, practicality getting the better of him. 'I guess it won't kill us.' And the two clasped for about one second before letting go. 'Happy?' He then asked Alexandra, who looked at the pair.

'It could have been a tad bit longer.' She complained, 'And the expressions could have been a little less murderous ... but I guess - well, yes. It'll do.' She confessed. Men would be men. No matter what else happened - her brother and Liam would always be pulling on each other's legs. A natural rivalry, they had. For the best, Alexandra could only hope that the rivalry remained friendly. 'You can have your prisoner, Brother.' She added, pointing a thumb to Aunt Sabel, 'None of the rest contest that - I'm sure.'

Then she turned to Nicholas. The one person she needed a bit more clarity with. 'Is this arrangement... fine by you, Nicholas?' She asked, silently praying, no more trouble. No more trouble.

But as said, when things were going wrong, almost everything went wrong. And when the things were going right, nobody could stop it. If one half of the problem was solved, the other half became more or less self-explanatory. Nicholas simply nodded. He looked pale and his lips were pursed. But Alexandra surmised it was because of the extreme Dovish-Idgardian-Kings' drama that he had seen unfold. Alexandra herself wasn't too pleased with the way Austin kept trying his best to make Liam lose his temper. And the way Liam left no stone unturned to show Austin how deeply he resented the latter's ways.

But with his nod, she felt a rose had blossomed up in her heart. She felt as though all her insides were jumping up and down and about in pleasure. Finally - she could be back to Idgard. By the lake. In the Council. All those moments could be relived. And she definitely had to help Watson with his endeavor.

But she did have one last thing to do. 'Cousin,' she continued, to Nicholas, 'I don't think it will be enough - but it's very, very heartfelt... I'm so very sorry. I shouldn't have done what I did thirteen years back. In a way - I was responsible for all this mess -'

'And you just cleaned it up,' Nicholas reminded, 'don't apologize, cousin. I think I am forever shamed by what my mother has already done. Don't embarrass me further by apologizing.'

'Still,' Alexandra pressed, 'It's time you got some lighter, brighter shades of life. You're forever welcome to Idgard... and... rule well, young man! You have the markings of a great monarch.'

'I will,' He promised, 'take care, cousin. I'm happy it ended well.'

Alexandra wasn't sure if it had even ended now. She could never be sure with her destiny. But she was sure that this was at least a break. There would be more things to worry about in the future... how could life go on without worry? But this was an opportunity for her, for Nicholas and Austin- for Liam, to gather their lives. And then perhaps- they would be back in trouble, surrounded by it... even before they realized.

But for now, it was meaningless to be anxious about what hadn't even happened. For now, Alexandra could give some encouragement to her cousin- who'd chosen a different destiny for himself. And in doing so, had given her a third chance at life.

'Of course it did,' she agreed, clasping his hand, 'You made it end well, Nicholas.' And Alexandra gave him the warmest smile she could have conjured, given the surroundings. It was a mark of how much Nicholas had changed, that the smile was returned. 'How did this change come about?' She asked, eyes almost filming over.

Nicholas shook his head, 'you. You changed my life, sister.' He said, looking down. 'I realized that if we are not physically fit, our mental state is diseased as well. I was sour and rude because I was physically unhealthy. And since Sabel had to keep me hidden, I had nothing to do. I began using that time to ... improve. And as I did improve, I began seeing the injustice of it all. The madness of my mother, the pointlessness of this plot. Revenge? How has it ever helped anybody? Revenge is the disc that needs no force to rotate - it keeps moving - destroying more lives. I just knew.' He said, looking truly like the prince - and the king - he had become. 'I just knew I had to stop it.'

'And I realized, Nicholas, that if we are not mentally fit - our physical state is useless. So perhaps, they go hand in hand. That night gave us both a chance to improve. And we did.' Alexandra nodded, proudly. 'But you did it alone. So you are the true hero.'

'Now, now.' Liam interrupted, 'if the happy cousin reunion is over - and roles have been fairly assigned, such that we know who our male lead is - may I speak to the King Nicholas?' He asked. Apparently, he had been there all the time - listening to their exchange. Sometimes, his stealth unnerved Alexandra.

Nicholas himself looked uncomfortable, like Liam was the strict school teacher who had come to deliver six cane cuts on his palms. Liam understood that, because he but a friendly hand on Nicholas' shoulder and said, 'I am not at all - let's say - unapproachable. Neither am I superior, by any means, Nicholas.'

For once, Alexandra agreed. 'Yes, he's pretty stupid,' she supplied, 'albeit likeable.'

'Thanks for that charming description, Alex,' Liam approved - though he didn't look remarkably grateful.

Alex? 

That was interesting - but things had to be more balanced, since they were both straight. 'Most welcome, Lia.' She replied, graciously. Liam smiled - in his usual amused manner - it was a good attempt, but Alexandra knew him enough to tell that the smile was fake.

Nicholas was watching them with a small smile. He seemed to be wondering if he could laugh right then. After a lot of deliberation, he seemed to have decided against it. Straightening up, he nodded to Liam.

'On a serious note, we need...'

But Alexandra didn't hear the rest, she pulled away from the two men and went looking for her brother: for once, not Mark. She went looking for Austin. They had to talk too.

She found him talking to the Idgardian Commander.

'Sir, final orders,' Austin nodded to the gray-eyed man Alexandra recognized immediately as Jessica Quote's father. 'See to it that this woman is escorted to the Dovish prisons - and put in the highest security cell - preferably chained.'

'As you wish, Sir,' the Commander replied, with a trace of relief. Alexandra wondered if the relief was for the war ending, or for the fact that this was the final order he'd have to take from Austin. The second scenario felt truer, in any case.

'How is Jessica, Sir?' She inquired, approaching them from behind. The commander's eyes flitted to her. The Idgardian Administration was a big network of men and women, still, though they hadn't made it public, all those people seemed to know that their King had finally fallen for somebody. And not just anybody - a spy. And not just any spy - the commander also knew that the spy was the exiled princess Alexandra.

But he responded with remarkable acuity, 'Jesse is a mother of twins, now, My Lady.'

'Twins!' Alexandra exclaimed, 'You're a grandfather- Sir!' And with a lot of boldness, she shook the old man's hand - clasping them in both of hers, 'Idgard's going to soon have two dangerous warriors!'

'Hopefully.' He agreed, with a bow. Then with another bow to Austin, he left. Austin looked at her for a second.

'Which important person of Idgard - if I may ask - do you not know, Alexandra?' He asked, sounding like the old, reserved man he had been. In constitution, Austin hadn't changed. Somehow, however, he'd lost his old inspirational personality. His old charm.

'There are many,' she replied in an offhand manner, 'I had to tell you something, meanwhile. And let's get it clear, brother.'

'I was wondering when you'd come. Why not, yes?' He asked, fastening his cloak back on. Alexandra knew he didn't expect it to be anything particularly serious. But it was. Expectations existed only to be broken.

'I just wanted to tell you - that I agree. That I'm not a trophy or a bag of gold coins. That you can't give me away to just anybody - as a peace offering.'

Austin's shoulders tensed, his lips went pale and his frown deepened. 'You mean-'

'I don't mean anything,' Alexandra interrupted, before he formed his own meanings out of her single sentence. 'I simply want to tell you that I'm accepting this alignment of relations because I want it to be so. And just so you know, in case I didn't want it, I wouldn't have accepted it.'

Austin's shoulders relaxed back, he even cracked a smile, 'Alexandra,' said he, 'just because I've never shown it in my actions, does not mean that I do not care for you at all. I see you both together. My words might have been that I was giving my sister, but actually, I was only giving my consent.' He stopped, to look down with a smile and shake his head. Then he looked up again, 'Visit me. Properly. Not as a Spy, okay?'

For a minute, she hesitated. Then, it felt too silly to hold on to those small grudges. It felt too silly to not forgive and move on. 'Definitely,' Alexandra replied, grinning widely and hugging her brother - in that single moment - forgiving all the past mistakes, forgetting all the terrible memories.

This was a new beginning. A new sun had risen. And such a bright, fresh day, had to be greeted with renewed vigor. Alexandra did not know it then, but she was writing history. She was going down in all books of history as the Exiled Princess who foiled a deadly plan for revenge and saved the entire civilization from annihilation. People exclaimed, students and teachers alike, "Oh, where would we have been today, had Alexandra the Great not been exiled?"

And was that not what could be called, "writing history"? Had Alexandra not changed the course of History that day?

Of course she had, although nobody had the slightest inkling of it.

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

7.7K 111 42
Alexander is powerful, deadly, and legendary. But all he wants is to be left alone after the love of his undead-life is killed. Sadly, his plans get...
4K 146 18
Charlotte King. A bubbly, smart, fun teenage girl to be around. Until her mother died. She becomes nearly mute and almost a loser. Her dad gets an of...
1.2K 144 42
At a certain juncture of time in the Middle Ages. A tyrannical king ruled his kingdom with an iron fist. His every whim was law, and his subjects liv...
12.8K 366 39
This is my take on a few cliches in the romance-fantasy world, but fear not! I've added quite a few sick twists and turns ;) - - - - - - - He's roya...