Embers in the Dark

By TheShantyBanshee

Sequel to "When We Were Younger". Three years have past since Cahira was taken from Arthur and Lilly. Lilly... More

Prologue
More Secrets
Regret
God's Day
Suspicion
Pain
Do We Have An Accord?
Feelings
Alexander
Even More Secrets
The Black Wolf
Rose
The Big Secret
The Hunting Game
Supper
Wrecked
All Night Long
The Lucky Watch
Therapy
War
Sword Swallowing
The Wolf and the Jackal: Part 1
The Wolf and the Jackal: Part 2
Devil Knows
The Griffin
All Hallow's Eve: Part 1
All Hallow's Eve: Part 2
The Cleansing
A Cracked Soul
Worshippers
Demons
The Ferryman
Hoist the Colours
Ansuz
The Cauldron of The Dagda
Pieces of Information
I Have No Words
Believer
We Be Three Poor Brothers
Confessions
The Goddess of Death, War and Hunting
Utter Madness
The Three Wives
Hey Brother
Bad Timing
The Griffin God
A Business Meeting
Rumor Has It
Is This How It Ends?
Operation Clean Slate
The Final Round
Still Lovin' You
The Rebel Army
Espionage
Full
Realizations
Heads and Necks
MΓ©nage Γ  Quatre
The Kelpie
Arthur's Harem
It's About To Go Down
Macha the Holy
Stolen
Yo!

The Bath

24 1 0
By TheShantyBanshee

Carman tapped her fingernails on the desk over and over again, trying to figure out why her magic orb wasn't working right. She'd been trying to figure it out for hours now and all she kept getting was a white picture of nothing. She sighed and leaned back in her chair, rubbing her face vigorously.

"Mommy?"

Carman turned in her chair to see her daughter Olena who was currently in her human form. "Hello, sweetheart. Is something wrong?"

"I have a question about my hair."

Carman giggled before holding out her arms. "C'mere," she cooed softly.

Olena grinned before climbing into her mother's lap, settling her head on Carman's shoulder. "Why is my hair red?"

Carman blinked as she stroked Olena'a auburn colored hair. "Because you're special, honey. Don't you remember me telling you?"

"Not really."

Carman sighed and snuggled up with Olena. "Well, you are using someone else's body."

"Oh yeah," Olena said while tapping her chin. "Hmm. So...where's the person who belongs to this body?"

"In the Irish afterlife."

"Huh." Olena looked at her mother. "Do you think she's happy, Mommy?"

"Who?"

"The person. What's her name? Does she have a mommy and daddy? Why did you need her body for me?"

Carman chuckled nervously before holding a hand up. "Honey, those are some really good questions and I'll answer them all one day, but..." Carman sighed and put a strand of hair behind Olena's ear. "You're young, Olena. Too young for questions like that."

Olena huffed. "Okay, okay."

Carman kissed her cheek and stood up. "Now, how did your very first visit to the festival of Anastenaria go with Auntie Appa and Uncle Corvin?" she asked.

Olena clapped happily. "I loved it."

"Good. I'm sorry I missed going with you but," she looked back at the blank orb. "I have a problem that needs solving."

Olena eyed the orb. "Is it your magic ball? What's wrong with it?"

"I don't know. One minute I was doing some..." Carman looked at Olena with a playful smile, making her daughter giggle, "...reconnaissance, and then the next minute everything went white. And now it's just stuck like that."

"Hmm, that is interesting, Mommy." Olena hummed again while tapping her chin once more. "What was the last thing you saw?"

"I saw Mr. Hughes talking to the queen and he put something on her wr-" Carman blinked. "Oooooooh," she said, chuckling. "Huh. Well, I'll be damned." Suddenly her face went pale. "Oh shit!"

Olena looked at her mother with worried eyes. "What's the matter, Mommy?"

Carman went running to the door. "Nothing. We just need to go see your Auntie Appa, okay?" Carman opened the door with a swipe of her magic before running down the hall to another room. "Appa!"

An apparition of Appa appeared before Carman, making the sorceress stop in her tracks. "This better be important!" Appa snapped bitterly.

Carman took some deep breaths. "Lugh, he...he found a way to block my prophetic eye."

Appa snarled with a vicious expression. "Oh, that fucking...meddlesome..." she growled and raised her tensed up hands in frustration before shutting her eyes and screaming. "I'll kill him! How could you let this happen?!"

Carman backed up a few steps out of fear, clinging to her whimpering daughter tightly. "Appa, y-you promised to show some restraint from now on."

Appa snarled lowly before slowly relaxing, holding up her palms and taking a deep breath. "I did," she sighed. "Apologies, my love. Now," Appa appeared in full form and craddled up Olena and Carman softly. "Just tell me what happened."

"Well, after some of the group appeared back in Lilly's life, I started noticing some...developments."

"What kind of developments?"

"Some of them...their images would be blocked by light. And it kept happening and the last thing I saw was Lugh putting something on Brigid's wrist. It's their bracelets," she said, grasping Appa's hand. "They all have magic bracelets, which means I can't see what they're up to."

Appa sighed. "Which means you can't control Lilly or Rose. Shit!"

"Shit!" Olena said with a giggle. "I love that word."

Carman and Appa both chuckled happily. "Oh, I just love her," Appa said before looking at Carman and pressing a palm to her cheek. "And I love you."

Carman placed a tender kiss on Appa's palm. "I love you too, Apate. Goddess of Deceit, Trickery and Guile."

Appa kissed her lips softly with a smile. As she pulled back, Appa cleared her throat. "Now, as for our problem, we'll just send Corvin to French Indochina."

Carman sighed with relief and nodded. "Okay. But what about Rose?"

"Oh, you let me worry about Rose," Appa said with a devious smile. "I'm gonna...kick things up a notch."

Both the women giggled before kissing Olena's cheeks and walking down the hallway.

XxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxX

Arthur and Lilly laughed hysterically as they sat together in the bath. "No, you ain't serious," Arthur chuckled.

"I am dead serious, Arthur!" Lilly giggled while grabbing a strawberry from the tray. "That whole fight was just because I refused to dress like a...like a woman."

Arthur threw his head back with a loud laugh. "I hope you killed 'em."

Lilly nibbled on the strawberry happily. "Most of them."

Arthur glanced at the tray and reached for a piece of meat before chewing on it. "Mmmm, this is some good food," he said.

"Mmhmm," Lilly agreed with a smile, leaning herself against Arthur's chest. "I'm still pretty hungry."

"Yeah, so am I, and we ate most of the food."

Lilly put the remains of her strawberry on the tray and sighed. "Well, we've been in here for a while now." She looked at her fingers. "My skin is all...pruny."

"And we still have things to talk about."

Lilly groaned and turned her head to look at Arthur. "I know, but I'm just..." she rested her head on his shoulder with a pout. "Was the sex good for you?"

Arthur wheezed out a laugh. "It's always good. Hell, it's always fantastic. Why?"

"Just checkin'."

"Hmm."

Lilly nuzzled his neck before kissing it softly. "So, who's Robert Lewis, huh?"

"Oh, that. Heh. Just a...just a persona that I came up with."

"For what purpose?"

Arthur chuckled. "Just to serve you the divorce papers and get you to marry him."

Lilly looked at him with narrowed eyes. "Now that was low what ya did, Arthur."

"I know, but I had a reason for it," he answered with a frown.

"And what, pray tell," Lilly began as she turned and straddled Arthur, "was the reason?"

Arthur grinned as he rubbed her sides. "I was just tryin' to be romantic, baby girl."

Lilly arched a brow. "Uh, okay? Did you have somethin' planned?"

"Yes." Arthur pulled her closer, trailing his fingers along her back as he kissed her collarbone. "I suppose it's all gone to hell now, though."

"What do you mean?"

"Well..." Arthur sighed as he leaned his head back. "Now that you kinda know what's going on, we should pack up and go home."

"But what about the tournament?"

"Fuck the tournament," he said while looking into her eyes. "You're sick."

"Arthur..." she groaned, leaning her head on his. "Ya put so much work into this plan of yers and I want ya tah see it through. And I wantah see what ya did." Lilly pouted at him with big, blue eyes. "Please?"

"But Lilly, you-"

Lilly shushed him with a deep kiss. "Please. I havena had a good fight in months. I...I need this. And I'm sure whatever Lugh and ya got in store fer me with gettin' Rose out is gonna take some time to get ready fer, will it not?"

"Yes," Arthur said with a nod. "But you could lose control during the tournament and a lot of people would get hurt."

"Not if ya boys use that net thing on me."

"True," Arthur agreed. "But I don't want to risk losin' you, mo stór." He palmed her cheek while staring up at her. "I can't lose you again. Not ever."

Lilly kissed his forehead and closed her eyes with a sigh. "Ya wilna lose me again, Arthur. I learned me lesson. Have you?"

"Of course."

Lilly wrapped him up in a hug and sniffled. "We're gonna be fine, Mo Fear Álainn, as long as we stick together."

Arthur gripped her in his arms tightly. "Couldn't have said it better myself, partner."

A soft giggle escaped Lilly. "Partners for life?"

"No," Arthur replied, gazing up at her again. "Partners forever."

Lilly smiled before kissing him hard. Arthur breathed her in as he kissed her just as deeply, groaning when her tongue invaded his mouth. He sucked on it gently, tasting her before gripping her hair.

"I love you, Arthur," she moaned.

"I love you too, Lilly," he said into her mouth.

As they continued to kiss, Lilly felt Arthur's manhood grow under her and she snickered. "Again? Really?"

Arthur smirked at her with the devil in his eyes. "Oh, you think I'm done with you?" He threw his head back and laughed before gripping her tightly and yanking her even closer. "This horse needs to be ridden again, woman. So," he pinched her ass cheeks, "get to it."

Lilly cackled loudly as she shook her head. "Oh, ya think yer funny, huh? Thinkin' ya can just boss me around like that?"

"Mmhmm," Arthur said with a devious smile. "Níl le déanamh agam ach Gaeilge a labhairt agus déanfaidh tú gach rud a deirim leat." [All I have to do is speak Irish and you will do everything I tell you.]

Lilly made an "o" face and she jerked her head while giving Arthur an amused look in her eyes. "Oooh, hoo hoo," she giggled. "An gceapann tú go n-oibríonn sé sin domsa fós?" [Do you think that still works for me?]

"Sea." Arthur cupped one of her breasts, tweaking the nipple to make her gasp. "Nó an gcaithfidh mé tease a thabhairt duit freisin?" [Yes. Or do I have to tease you too?]

Lilly bit her lower lip and turned her head up. "Téigh ar aghaidh, féach cad a tharlaíonn." [Go ahead, see what happens.]

Arthur smirked before placing soft kisses between her breasts. "An bhfuil tú ag teacht abhaile go dtí mo leaba? An bhfuil tú chun fanacht le mo thaobh go deo?" [Are you coming home to my bed? Are you going to stay by my side forever?]

"Sea," Lilly breathed out with a tremble. [Yes.]

"An bhfuil tú chun mé a fhágáil arís?" [Are you going to leave me again?]

"Riamh, mo chuisle. Riamh arís." [Never, my pulse. Never again.]

"Mionnaigh é," he said as he looked up into her eyes with tears in his own. Lilly looked at him sadly and kissed his forehead before slowly getting out of the tub. "Where you goin'?" [Swear it.]

As water dripped from her body, Lilly got on one knee, put her elbow on it, and bowed her head as she faced her husband. "I swear by the sun, moon, and stars to protect you, to always have your back, to never cause unforgiveable dishonor to you, and to never leave you again. I swear by the gods my people swear by. I swear by the land, sea, and sky. If I break my oath, may the land open to swallow me, the sea rise to drown me, and the sky fall upon me." As Lilly lifted her head, she looked at Arthur with a determined expression. "Do you accept my renewed oath, Arthur Morgan?"

Arthur sniffed before drying his eyes with a smile on his face. "I do."

Lilly's lip began to tremble. "Oh, Arthur..." she sobbed, reaching into the tub to hold him tightly. "I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry."

Arthur started to weep as well before standing up with her and getting out of the tub to cling to her desperately. "I'm sorry, too," he sniffed.

"I swear, Arthur, I ain't whole without ya."

"I never should've let you walk away. I should've come after you. I never should've hurt you, all the foolish things I said, I..."

Lilly grasped his face. "I've loved ya since I first saw ya, Arthur. And I will never stop lovin' ya. Me love fer ya will surpass all of time."

Arthur pressed his forehead to hers and took some deep breaths as he closed his eyes. "Forgiven?"

Lilly smiled softly. "Forgiven."

He pressed his lips to her affectionately. "I need you, Lillian."

A giggle escaped her. "Oh, ya know I'm always ready fer ya, Mo Fear Álainn."

"No," he said with a head snake. "No, I need something else from you right now."

"Tell me, then," she laughed while cupping his cheeks. "What do ya need, me love?"

As he straightened himself, Arthur shook his head again. "I don't know. I...I can't...I can't find the words."

Lilly thought for a few moments before coming up with a possible solution. "Okay, um..." she got back into the tub and rested against the back. "Come sit with me," she said.

Arthur maneuvered himself into the bath and lowered in with his back to Lilly. "Okay," he breathed. "Now what?"

"Lean back," she answered. Arthur did as he was told and Lilly enclosed her arms around him. "There we go..." She felt him practically melt against her form and she started stroking his hair and gently scratching his scalp. "How's that?"

"Mmm..." Arthur said with his eyes closed. "Almost perfect."

Lilly sighed with a chuckle before kissing his head. "Such high standards, mo fhear céile," she teased affectionately. "What can I do to make this perfect? Hmm?" [my husband.]

Arthur breathed in deeply. "Sing to me."

"Okay. Any special requests?"

"Somethin' Irish, my lovely songbird."

A snort came out of Lilly's nose. "Songbird?"

"Well, you do sing. And you sing beautifully. Gods, the first time I actually got to hear you sing was...truly magical."

Lilly giggled. "That was when I was tryin' to calm down Doc. I miss that ornery bastard."

"I miss Holly. Holly was such a good horse," Arthur remarked.

"Yes, she was." Lilly huffed and adjusted herself in the tub a little. "Somethin' Irish? Do you want it in Irish, too?"

Arthur shrugged. "I don't care."

Lilly nodded and cleared her throat.

Over in Killarney
Many years ago

Arthur visibly relaxed even more and hummed with relief and satisfaction.

Me mother sang a song to me
In tones so sweet and low

Just a simple little ditty
In her good ould Irish way
And I'd give the world if she could sing
That song to me this day

Before Lilly could get to the next verse, Arthur began to snore. Loudly. She burst into hysterical giggling but quickly covered her mouth to keep from waking her obviously exhausted but sated husband. Come to think of it, however, Lilly was pretty tired herself. As she yawned, she groaned at the thought of drying them both off and getting them both to bed. Lilly rolled her eyes and huffed before caving and activating the blue bead on her bracelet.

"Contact Brigid," she said.

Imagery sizzled to life in front of Lilly and she saw Brigid's face. "Yes, Your Highness?"

Lilly fought the urge to roll her eyes. "Um, I need help getting Arthur and myself to bed."

Brigid suddenly looked concerned. "Is everything okay?"

"Oh yeah," Lilly assured her. "Just, uh, Arthur fell asleep and I dread the thought of wakin' him up. I guess I wore him out more than I thought," she chuckled.

The bathroom door opened and Lilly looked over to see Brigid and Lugh. "Hi," Brigid said.

Lilly clicked the bead off and frowned. "I'm sorry to bother you guys about this, I really am. But I don't want to wake him up and I am very tired myself, so...I mean, we could just sleep in the tub, but I don't want us to drown."

Brigid shrugged as she walked over. "I get it. You went through your first rut. Completely normal."

As Brigid pulled out a flask, Lilly blinked. "A rut?"

"Yes. You are a sex goddess, Lillian."

Lilly made a "pfft" sound. "Of course I am," she sighed in irritation.

The acting queen of Tír na nÓg popped the flask open and dipped it in the water. "You say that like it's a bad thing."

Lilly watched the water drain into the flask. "What the fuck?"

Brigid tsked as the water continued to get sucked into the flask. "Watch your language, Princess."

Lilly clung to Arthur's sleeping form as the water on them started coming off. Her eyes were wide as she looked at the water going down. It made Brigid laugh quietly and Lilly glared at her.

"What's so funny?" Lilly hissed.

"When you're startled, you look like a frightened deer."

Lilly growled and narrowed her eyes. "No I don't."

Brigid giggled as all the water filled the flask, both Arthur and Lilly now being dry. He was still snoring away, though.

"Yes you do. You've always been like that," Brigid said.

"What do you mean?" Lilly asked suspiciously.

Brigid closed the flask and stuffed it back in its spot on her belt. "Do you want help moving your husband?"

Lilly shook her head before gripping Arthur close and standing up, tucking her arms under his legs and behind his back. "No, I can manage, thank you."

Lilly got out of the tub and walked past Brigid and Lugh to the bedroom with Arthur in her arms. The two gods followed her, watching as Lilly gently placed her naked husband in the bed. She then looked around for the bed sheet and shrugged when she found a blanket instead. Lilly grabbed it and draped it over Arthur before climbing into bed and holding him from behind.

"I'm gonna sleep now," Lilly said tiredly. "Thanks for dryin' us off."

Brigid chuckled as she walked over to tuck the Morgans into bed. "You're welcome. Will you be requiring anything else?"

Lilly shook her head with closed eyes. "Nope," she said, kissing Arthur's back. "Just need to sleep." Lilly listened to Lugh and Brigid leave the room and she smiled as she snuggled against Mr. Morgan. "Sleep well, my love," she whispered.

XxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxX

As Brigid shut the door, she looked at a grinning Lugh. "What?" she asked.

"It's sweet when you're maternal," Lugh chuckled.

Brigid aimed a finger at him. "Don't you start," she growled before walking down the hallway. "We have work to do."

Lugh shook his head with a sigh as he followed her. "Yes we do, Your Majesty."

They both descended the stairs, seeing Vu, Tora and Sean sitting in the living room eating food. "Your Majesty, Lugh," they all greeted.

Brigid nodded to them before clasping her hands together. "So, to pick up where we left off last night..." she said before sitting on a couch. "I have questions about you, Mr. Hoang."

Vu nibbled on some pho noodles. "Hmm?"

Lugh sat down next to Brigid before reaching for some food. "Just who are you, exactly?"

Vu swallowed his noodles and took a sip from his cup of tea. "Immortal sage."

"Oh. Huh. And how did you come across Princess Lilly?"

"In jungle. She fled Cambodia after they run her out for...indecent performance of magic." He laughed. "I suppose they see her soul. I wonder what so bad about song, though."

Brigid scrunched up her face. "Explain."

"Lilly sang song called "Seven Drunken Nights" to people of Cambodia."

Sean nearly choked on his food. "Oh my God!" he laughed loudly before falling over.

"What?" the rest of them asked.

Sean clung to his gut as he continued laughing hysterically. After a couple minutes, he finally calmed down enough to breath heavily. "Ya never heard that song?"

"No," they all replied.

Sean cackled before standing up. "Well, yer in fer a treat," he said with a happy grin. "Allow me tah show ya what the song is about."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.4K 347 30
Rosalie Klein, daughter of a con artist, never thought of herself as a killer. But when the O'Driscolls murder her loved ones in cold blood, revenge...
7.7K 176 10
You meet John's father after your first term of university, and find your growing attraction to him difficult to ignore. | Modern AU Warnings: - 18+ ...
136 2 10
Browsing the many articles and advertisements that described an incredibly dated way of life. And as much as you tried to convince yourself of all th...
1.1K 51 11
"in memory of arthur morgan, the greatest man who ever lived" (y/n) morgan was found by arthur as a helpless baby in a box in blackwater, and ever si...