Kurai Akuma | KNY • M!Reader

By DaRkChAoZlOrD

Having lost his memory at a young age, (Y/N) Kamado lived a carefree life with his family. However, when trag... More

BS | Shadow Breathing
BS | Dance of Ashes
1st Sword | Into the Shadows
2nd Sword | Demon Eater
3rd Sword | Return to Light
4th Sword | Demon Slayer
5th Sword | Mayhem in Town
6th Sword | Fealty for Tyranny
7th Sword | Devil's House
8th Sword | Calm Into the Storm
9th Sword | Mountain Brawl
10th Sword | Against the Rules
11th Sword | Shadow Pillar
12th Sword | Falling Ashes
13th Sword | Butterflies
14th Sword | Trainer from Hell
15th Sword | Desire
16th Sword | Our Bonds
17th Sword | Resonating Hearts
18th Sword | Reverie
19th Sword | The Unending Dream
20th Sword | The Dreamer Awakens
22nd Sword | A New Daybreak

21st Sword | Shadow, Flames and Disorder

5K 130 87
By DaRkChAoZlOrD

Butterfly Estate

A calm breeze swayed peacefully through the Butterfly Estate, moonlight piercing through the various windows of the estate as various figures moved about in the darkness.

"Let's go. We should be able to get to town by sunrise." Shinobu hummed, opening the sliding door to the Estate as Kanao nodded, silently stepping out behind her.

With Sunia, Lenn, Kiyo, Sumi and Naho holding down the estate(as much as they could, since all of them were currently asleep), it allowed the two to slip away unnoticed.

Naturally, as two highly trained Demon Slayers, Kanao and Shinobu were akin to moving shadows as they raced to the nearby town.

"I wonder what (Y/N) is doing..." Shinobu, upon glancing upwards at the bright moon above, wondered.

Was he also seeing this beautiful moon?

Pft.

How childish of her.

...

(Y/N) gripped his twin blades harshly beneath the looming moon above, his senses practically screaming at him that death was imminent as he faced off against the menace a fair distance away.

Similarly, Rengoku gripped the hilt of his own katana, his gaze both vigilant and wary of the newcomer. Just like (Y/N), he could sense a horrific presence from the newcomer, one that made even him uncertain.

A short, open pink jacket swayed in the breeze from the demon's body, various markings inscribed upon his flesh as he took a low stance, casually crouched with a smile present on his face. The demon had short pink hair and vibrant yellow eyes, wearing little more than a loose open jacket and baggy pants held up by a green loop. He calmly gazed over the three before him, his menacing eyes going over all three of them - as if analyzing them.

(Y/N)'s lips fell into a slight frown.

Rengoku's passionate gaze slowly hardened.

Tanjiro's breathing accelerated in slight fear.

"Upper Moon...Three?!" Tanjiro couldn't help but gasp as he saw the number inscribed into the demon's eyes.

What...what was an Upper Moon doing here?!

Upper Moon Three merely glanced over the three once more, his gaze narrowing ever so slightly. And then, ground shattered, and he disappeared.

"Fast!"

"Shadow Breathing."

"Flame Breathing."

Upper Moon Three appeared before the group in an instant, ignoring both of the Pillars as his gaze was set only on one member of the group.

On the "weakling."

Upper Moon Three sent out a punch of sure death towards Tanjiro's head, giving him little time to do more than watch his death approach.

"Fourth Form: Embraceful Shade!"

"Second Form: Rising Scorching Sun!"

However, before death could descend, two blades instantly intercepted the attack. A faint shadow cut across the arm, severing it fully, before another vertical slash cut the arm in half, burning it to little more than ashes.

Upper Moon Three, however, merely leapt back from the attacks, leaving his ashen arm behind.

Glancing at his now missing arm, Upper Moon Three merely let a smile grace his face, and in an instant, flesh gathered and his arm was formed anew.

"Those are fine swords." Upper Moon Three praised, casually moving his new arm about - as if mocking the two Pillars.

"His regeneration is even faster than mine." (Y/N)'s gaze remained vigilant as he drew his Nichirin Blade as well, taking a relaxed stance as he prepared for the inevitable fight to come.

"What immense speed. Coupled with this horrific and immense aura...this is a real Upper Moon, then." Rengoku analyzed the opponent, paying little attention to the severed arm that burned to ashes beside him. After all - his opponent had already rendered the attacks null with a new arm.

"I can't understand why you'd go after a wounded person first." Rengoku spoke loudly, yet clearly as he held firm in front of the injured Kamado.

"He could get in the way of our chitchat...between you two, and me." Upper Moon Three smiled, his tone nonchalant.

"Chitchat, huh? I don't recall having anything in particular to say to a goon of Kibutsuji." (Y/N) rolled his eyes at the Upper Moon demon. This was a literal harbinger of death, and all he wanted was a "chitchat"?

"That's right. We've only just met you, but I'm confident neither of us harbor anything but dislike for you." Rengoku nodded in agreement to (Y/N)'s words. Although he didn't know what the demon was planning, he didn't plan to chitchat with one of the Demon Slayer Corps' sworn enemies.

"Is that right? Well, I guess we all bear dislikes already. I, too, loathe weak humans. Just the sight of a weakling is enough to make my skin crawl." Upper Moon Three spoke calmly, his gaze momentarily shifting to Tanjiro. To the "weakling".

"Should probably go visit a doctor then. Or a therapist. Or go out for a nice stroll under the sun. Works wonders for your mental, take it from me." (Y/N) casually dissed, Upper Moon Three's lips curving upwards ever-so-slightly.

"Our senses of value are completely different." Rengoku added in, standing up as he walked up beside (Y/N), the two guarding Tanjiro, who tried to rise to his feet behind them, though clearly in pain.

"That so? Alright then. I have a brilliant proposal for you. Why don't you become demons, too?" Upper Moon Three gave a wicked grin, extending his hand outwards.

"I refuse."

"Been there, done that."

Both of the Pillars instantly shot him down, though a surprised look formed on Upper Moon Three's face.

"So, you're a demon as well? Interesting. I did find it strange that your strength is growing with every passing moment, but I guess that answers that little mystery. I can see how strong you both are with just a glance. You're both Pillars, right?" Upper Moon Three smiled with satisfaction, though his gaze lingered on (Y/N)'s own.

"What's it to you?" (Y/N) shrugged calmly.

"No need to get all suspicious. Although I am a bit surprised to see that a demon, even if just a half-ling like yourself, is in the Demon Slayer Corps, it just makes this all the more fun. Both of your auras have been trained to the hilt, but even then, your presence here just proves my next point." Upper Moon Three turned his gaze away from (Y/N), and onto Rengoku.

"Both of your strengths are reaching the Realm of the Highest." Upper Moon Three chuckled carefreely.

"...Shadow Pillar, (Y/N) Kamado."

"Flame Pillar, Kyojuro Rengoku."

"I'm Akaza." A satisfied smile rose to Akaza's face as the two Pillars, the two strong swordsmen across from him introduced themselves.

"Kyojuro, (Y/N)...you both prove my point excellently. Kyojuro...you won't ever reach the Realm of the Highest. Let me tell you why." Akaza chuckled, his gaze holding a hint of both pity and amusement.

"It's because you're human. Because you'll grow old. Because you'll die. Because of your human limits, you'll never reach that place." Akaza extended his hand out towards Rengoku, before casually shifting his gaze over to the Shadow Pillar.

"(Y/N) is the best example of that. He's gone beyond humanity and taken half a step into the Realm of the Highest." Akaza grinned, staring excitedly towards the Shadow Pillar. He could sense it.

That sharp edge that constantly lingered around him like a dark shadow.

That...Domain.

"..." (Y/N) merely stared at Akaza with confusion. What was he on about?

"So, why don't you take that same step, Kyojuro? Become a Demon, like us." Akaza extended his hand towards the Flame Pillar, Rengoku glancing at it.

"Do that, and you can go on training for a hundred, for two hundred years. You can become stronger and reach the pinnacle of strength. You can enter the Realm of the Highest." Akaza's words carried with them the promise of power.

Tanjiro struggled into his hands from behind the two Pillars, a terrified expression on his face.

"Of all the Demons I've met until now, he has the strongest scent to Kibutsuji's! I have to stand up...I've got help Rengoku-san and (Y/N)-nii!" Tanjiro doubled his efforts to stand up, struggling behind the Pillars.

"...Stop wasting your time." Surprisingly, the first person to speak up wasn't Rengoku, but rather, it was (Y/N). His aura sensory already gave him a clear verdict as to Rengoku's feelings to the offer.

"Both growing old and dying are part of the beauty of being an ephemeral creature like a human. The fact that we grow old and die is what makes human life so unbearably precious and noble." Rengoku spoke calmly, his gaze and tone both even and unwavering.

Inosuke struggled in the remains of the shattered train, chatter beginning to rise in the distance as the people helped each other out of the wreckage, ensuring that nobody was gravely injured.

""Strength" is not a word used only to describe the body. I respect (Y/N)'s will to continue to fight on behalf of humans despite being a Demon, but even so, I cannot condone taking a similar action recklessly." Rengoku spoke clearly, locking eyes with the Upper Moon Three demon.

"..." (Y/N) watched on silently, his lips a thin line.

"This boy is not weak. Do not insult him." Rengoku suddenly declared, Tanjiro letting out a gasp of surprise as his head turned towards Rengoku.

"Although (Y/N) may be a demon, he and I share similar ideals. And our ideals and senses of value...far differ from yours. No matter the reason, I will never become a Demon!" Rengoku gave his final verdict, a resolute expression on his face. His eyes, which shone with such passion, burned with unwavering determination.

"...And you? Will you take another step and become a full demon?" Akaza calmly gazed at (Y/N).

"...I became a demon to survive. To this day, I've yet to kill even a single human. But, with each passing day, I can sense my strength growing more and more, but even I sometimes stop to question myself - when will that strength and instinct overwhelm my sense of reason?" (Y/N) suddenly spoke, his icy blue orbs hidden beneath his (h/c) hair.

"Let me make something clear to you. Even though I'm a demon like you, I will never misuse this power and bear my fangs against humans. You call me a half-ling...to you, that might be an insult. But to me, that's more than fine. If it means even a trace of my humanity remains, then I'm all too happy to stay right where I am." (Y/N) spoke coolly, casually glancing at his hands. That's right.

If it meant even a trace of who he - of who (Y/N) Kamado was, remained, then that was more than enough for him.

"My brother is not weak. If you have the gall to call Tanjiro weak...then you don't even know the first thing about strength." (Y/N) challenged, pointing his jet black blade at Akaza. Behind him, Tanjiro felt tears begin to pool on his eyes, a silent cry rising up to his lips.

"...I see." Akaza hummed as he locked eyes with the two enemies.

With the two fools.

With the two Pillars.

Within an instant, all pretenses of talk had ended abruptly. The ground beneath Akaza shattered as he took his stance, a bright blue snowflake-like formation manifesting beneath his feet.

Perhaps, actions would convince them instead.

"Technique Development - Destructive Death: Compass Needle!" Akaza lowered his stance slightly, an ominous chill overtaking the open field as the wind howled around them.

(Y/N) merely brandished his blades, Rengoku lowering his to his side, both of them prepared for the inevitable fight to come.

"If you both refuse to take that final step...then I'll just have to kill you." Akaza gave a wicked smirk.

For a moment, only the wind howled as (Y/N) and Rengoku both lowered their stances ever-so-slightly...

And then, all hell broke loose.

Akaza disappeared in a single step, crossing the distance between himself and the Pillars in the blink of an eye. Sending a powerful punch towards Rengoku, Akaza intended to instantly take him out of the fight. However, Rengoku merely adjusted accordingly, slashing at the oncoming fist as (Y/N) followed up the slash instantly, sending twin slashes at the demon from both directions, Akaza merely grinning as he leapt back, barely missing being cleaved.

However, the two Pillars gave chase, disappearing into mere afterimages as they chased down Akaza. Before he could even land, he was assailed with immense slashes, though Akaza nimbly managed to evade each and every single one, but even when tried to counterattack, a blade always intercepted his attacks.

Slash after slash went out within moments, followed by punches after punches, a cloud of dust kicking up around the three combatants as they stormed through the open field, Tanjiro watching on in a mixture of fear and awe, capable of catching little more than the sparks from the clash of fist and blade.

"I can't follow their movements at all!" Tanjiro watched on, his mouth wide open in shock as he watched the practically inhuman scene before him.

"There were never any Flames or Shadows among the Pillars I've killed until now." Akaza cackled as he sent out a barrage of punches towards the two Pillars, (Y/N) meeting each and every punch head on as Rengoku swerved beneath both punches and blades, unleashing a fierce rising slash as Akaza was forced to dodge to the side.

"No one ever took me up on my offer either." Akaza wildly attacked with a barrage of fierce punches, Rengoku utilizing his sword to block the blows, (Y/N) snaking his swords around him and drawing Akaza's attention. Attacking with a heavy downwards slash, (Y/N) forcibly took Akaza's attention as the Upper Moon Three demon kicked at him, though (Y/N) merely used his Nichirin Blade to deflect the attack, holding Akaza's fists at bay with the midnight-black katana, twisting his feet ever so slightly before unleashing a spinning slash, forcing Akaza back. However, he didn't hesitate for longer than an instant, meeting (Y/N)'s attack head on with a kick and disrupting the force behind it, sending the jet black katana shooting backwards. Following up with a punch, Akaza went for the killing blow, however, Rengoku swiftly stepped in, deflecting the attack and forcing a stalemate as Akaza held Rengoku's sword at bay with his fist, meanwhile sending a kick towards (Y/N), forcing him to block with his Nichirin Blade, but it still sent him skidding back a small distance.

"Why do you think that is?" Akaza asked curiously, a grin on his face as he uppercutted Rengoku, who barely managed to block the attack with a downward slash, leaning back and dodging another punch as he flipped backwards to avoid the follow up kick from Akaza.

"As a fellow martial artist, I just can't understand that. Not when only the chosen ones can become strong demons!" Akaza shot forward, sending a deadly punch at Rengoku, though, while falling backwards, he merely slashed at Akaza's arm, severing it completely, however, Akaza merely shifted his stance, sending a kick at Rengoku's unguarded flank. In an instant, however, his leg was severed completely as (Y/N) slashed it to ribbons, casually knocking it away from himself as it flew past his face, though before he could even entertain the idea of devouring it, Akaza regenerated both of his lost appendages, unleashing a fierce storm of punches and forcing (Y/N) to focus on the defensive.

Even with his Domain, he could do little more than match Akaza blow-for-blow.

"Watching the hideous decline of those blessed with extraordinary powers...it just pains me to see!" Akaza cackled as Rengoku sent a rising slash towards him, Akaza twisting his hand slightly and forcing a deadlock, veering the blade off course as (Y/N) sent a horizontal slash with his Nichirin Blade, Akaza merely meeting it head on with an elbow, forcing another deadlock as the two Pillars scampered to control their weapons.

"So...die, (Y/N), Kyojuro. While you're both still young and strong." Akaza grinned, taking advantage of the opening to strike with full force, sending a punch that ruptured even the air around it towards the two.

"Pass!" (Y/N) growled, meeting the punch head on with the jet black katana, sparks flying from the clash as his icy blue orbs glared into Akaza's own radiant yellow.

A slight look of surprise formed on Akaza's face as he saw his attack blocked, but he then leapt back as a blazing sword slashed through his previous position, Rengoku's sword lingering with flames as Akaza grinned in midair.

"Technique Development - Destructive Death: Air Type!" Akaza sent out a punch in midair, a faint energy surrounding his fists as he sent out fist after fist, but nothing happened.

Although they kept their guards up, neither (Y/N) not Rengoku could see anything.

...It was (Y/N) who first felt the incoming threat.

"Shit!" (Y/N), feeling a strange presence within his domain, instantly brandished his swords wildly yet with immense precision, being forced back with each successful block as a storm of lights formed around him, Rengoku watching on vigilantly.

"I see." Rengoku instantly deciphered the technique, shifting his stance before a blaze of flames engulfed his sword.

"Flame Breathing - Fourth Form: Blooming Flame Undulation!" Rengoku delivered a swerving slash of flames, forming a vortex of flames above (Y/N), strange wisps of energy clashing against the vortex and taking over (Y/N)'s role, to which he simply shifted his stance.

"When he strikes the air with his fist, the shockwave still reaches us here!" Rengoku thought to himself, delivering another swerving slash and forming another vortex of flames, Akaza continuing his unrelenting attacks with a chilling laughter.

"He can move faster than the blink of an eye, as well..." Rengoku thought to himself, though his lips merely curved into a smile as he saw black flames bloom.

"Dance of Ashes - Seventh Step: Ascending Hell!" (Y/N) swept beneath the curtain of flames, unleashing his own attack as a fierce blaze of black flames shot out towards Akaza, who merely grinned, meeting the attack head on, however, his fist was instantly slashed in half, making Akaza grin as he swerved harshly to the side, barely dodging the brunt of the attack.

"But that's fine, because..."

Akaza twirled in the air, landing on the ground shortly after, two lights instantly appearing before him.

"We can still win!"

Rengoku and (Y/N) both slashed at Akaza, not giving him even a moment to recover or take advantage of Destructive Death: Air Type again.

"This superb reaction speed you both have! And these breathtaking skills!" A dome of shadows, flames and disordered air instantly surrounded the three, Akaza sending out a fierce barrage of punches as the Shadow and Flame Pillars met his attacks blow for blow, giving him little room to do anything.

A magnificent display of swordsmanship and precision bloomed around the group, each slash and punch bearing the promise of certain death if landed.

The power of those who bore the titles of "strongest."

"These skills of yours will be lost! Doesn't that just make you both so sad, Kyojuro, (Y/N)?!" Akaza grinned maniacally, enjoying the fight to the fullest as he sent out an unending barrage of attacks, to which the Pillars met with their own.

"Things come and go, big surprise!" (Y/N) unleashed twin rising slashes onto Akaza, though the Upper Moon Three demon merely punched at both swords from the sides, disrupting (Y/N)'s stance.

"It's a fact of life for all humans!" Rengoku instantly capitalized on Akaza's lack of attention, slashing cleanly through his arm as Akaza met his sword with his remaining fist in an instant, his severed fist growing back and meeting (Y/N)'s blades head on.

Inosuke suddenly ran up behind Tanjiro, who just barely managed to get himself onto his knees, his two swords in hand. Tanjiro attempted to stand up, albeit clearly pained.

"Not a single move! Stand back! That's a direct order from your superior! If that wound of yours reopens, there's no guarantee you'll be able to close it again!" (Y/N) suddenly shouted without even glancing in Tanjiro's direction, keeping his attention focused on Rengoku and Akaza.

A single mistake meant certain death.

Well, perhaps not immediate death, but it would surely get a lot uglier than it was currently.

"Don't bother with that weakling, (Y/N)! Focus all your efforts on me!" Akaza unleashed a storm of punches, dozens of horrifically beautiful lights flashing around him as each punch promised certain demise.

"Didn't I already tell you...he's not weak?!" (Y/N) growled, his blades engulfing with shadows as Rengoku slashed at Akaza with blazing flames.

"Shadow Breathing - Ninth Form: Affliction!" A storm of slashes suddenly rendered everything near (Y/N) to ribbons, Akaza leaping back with a wild cackle as he slid across the ground, Rengoku following up closely as (Y/N) cancelled his technique, brandishing his blades before dashing after the two.

Rengoku arrived before Akaza instantly, sending a horizontal slash at his neck, though Akaza merely offset the blade with a punch, however, Rengoku nullified the attack with the guard of his blade, using the added force from Akaza's attack to slash at him harshly, Akaza blocking with his other fist. However, the immense force behind the slash sent him flying into the forest, leaving a cloud of dust behind as Rengoku narrowed his eyes, dashing into the forest.

Akaza flew through the trees with immense momentum, though he was suddenly aware of a presence above him, finding (Y/N) falling onto him with his blades raised over his shoulder.

"Shadow Breathing - First Form: Crescent Moon Slash!"

"Dance of Ashes - First Step: Scorching Halo!"

Shadows and flames danced as (Y/N) slashed down at Akaza, who barely managed to raise his fists up to meet the attack, however, both of his hands were severed completely by (Y/N)'s swords, sending him smashing down unto the ground.

"Shadow Breathing - Second Form: Shadow Wheel!"

(Y/N) instantly utilized another technique, slashing in a crescent towards the down Akaza, who merely cackled as his arms regenerated instantly, harshly elbowing the ground and sending himself flying away from the spot as a wheel of shadow energy carved a wide divide into the attack, (Y/N) landing on the ground.

"Flame Breathing - First Form: Sea of Fire!"

Suddenly, Rengoku arrived beside Akaza, sending a swift slash towards him as flames blazed on the edge of his sword, though Akaza merely met the attack with his own fist. However, expecting it, Rengoku shifted his trajectory just slightly, slashing off Akaza's arm. However, Akaza paid it no mind, spinning in place and sending a kick towards Rengoku, and despite blocking it with his sword, he was still sent flying through multiple trees, and out of the forest.

(Y/N) instantly appeared before Akaza once more, sending parallel slashes towards him as Akaza regenerated his lost arm, weaving between the descending slashes and tipping his foot upwards, sensing a deadly kick at (Y/N)'s chin. However, (Y/N) merely dodged back, sending a fierce storm of slashes towards Akaza as he did so, kicking up a fierce wave of dust.

A shockwave soon emerged, Rengoku crashing into the angled cliff-side of the open fields, a blade coming through shortly after him as another body flew through the air, (Y/N) grimacing as he shot through the ground, grasping his black katana and managing to stop himself just before he crashed into the cliff-side, a grim look in his icy blue orbs.

"Now do you both understand?" Akaza calmly walked out of the forest, various slashes upon him healing up in an instant. In contrast, the two Pillars across from him were out of breath, and even if (Y/N) was doing a better job at conserving his energy than Rengoku - it amounted to little in front of Akaza.

"This guy is just ridiculous!" (Y/N) heaved as he slowly rose to his feet again, the malicious aura around Akaza almost suffocating his breaths.

Despite having devoured Enmu and risen his power to the standard of what he and Lucile assumed was Upper Moon Six, it was almost a joke compared to Akaza's powers!

Even though he felt power coursing through his very veins as his body got more and more acclimated to the change, (Y/N) still felt helpless before the genuine Upper Moon Three.

"Fight with me forever and get stronger with me. You've both felt the power directly, so don't let me down." Akaza cackled ominously, amusement clear in his voice as he faced the two Pillars.

"Rengoku! You alright?!" (Y/N) shouted as he raised himself onto his feet. Although he could handle most wounds just fine, the same couldn't be said for Rengoku.

"I'm fine!" Rengoku heaved against his sword, pulling himself onto his feet as he glared at Akaza.

"We'll pass on the offer! I don't think you understand that we don't like you!" Rengoku spoke as he brandished his sword, Akaza's lips curving into a smile.

"No matter how many times you offer it..." (Y/N) spoke as he brandished his own swords against Akaza.

"We will never take that step and become Demons!" Rengoku finished, his gaze resolute as his and (Y/N)'s resolve shone through their eyes, Akaza merely chuckling to himself.

"Dance of Ashes - Second Step: Solar Pierce!"

"Flame Breathing - Third Form: Blazing Universe!"

An immense fast thrust and a downward slash instantly met Akaza as the two Pillars took the offensive once again, the stab cleanly taking off Akaza's right arm whereas the downward slash left a wide divide in his flesh, though Akaza's smile didn't fade in the slightest.

In an instant, his wounds healed up, and he drew back his fist.

"Technique Development - Destructive Death: Air Type!" Akaza unleashed a flurry of fists, instantly sending both Pillars onto the defensive, though (Y/N) merely took a deep breath, tendrils of shadow gathering near his lips.

"Shadow Breathing - Third Form: Rending Shade!"

(Y/N) instantly burst forward through the attacks, slashing at Akaza and forcing him to stop his fierce barrage, allowing Rengoku to recover, brandishing his sword and dashing in swiftly, aiding (Y/N) as the three sent blow after blow.

Inosuke and Tanjiro watched as the three turned into mere shadows, trading immensely fast attacks time after time, each attack bearing nothing but the promise of certain death. None of the three were holding back in the slightest.

A single mistake was fatal.

"There's no openings." Inosuke tried to keep up with the shadows.

"I can't jump in. I can't even keep up with the speed of their movements!" Inosuke's head constantly shifted as the shadows shot all over the battlefield, unrestrained and unbound.

"These three are on a completely different dimension!" Inosuke thought with both awe and fear.

"Getting between them would only mean death! I can feel it all the way in my bones! I can't even move...because I know that even if I jumped in, I'd only be a hindrance to those two!" Inosuke thought in helpless shock as he watched the otherworldly rumble before him.

(Y/N) nimbly dodged around Akaza's fist, severing his fist instantly with a swift slash before following up with a blazing dragon of flames, though Akaza merely twirled his body, sending a fierce kick to match the dragon.

Rengoku followed up his movements with a fierce downward slash, flames blazing from his sword as various divides formed on Akaza's flesh, but once more - they healed instantly.

Punch after punch after punch.

Slash after slash after slash.

Neither side relented for even a moment.

"You still don't understand?! The more you attack, the closer you come to your death! How many attacks can you continue to take?!" Akaza taunted as he stopped (Y/N)'s sword with his foot, blood flowing down the (h/c) haired boy's head. Although he closed up the wounds as fast as they came - he was merely a halfling. How much longer would he be able to take such attacks?

Especially...

Rengoku unleashed a fierce vortex of slashes towards Akaza, flames blazing around him as Akaza's fists shone with a strange light, sending various Destructive Death: Air Types at Rengoku, though he just barely managed to block most of them, Akaza sending a harsh punch at him in return, though (Y/N) merely met the attack head on, leaving himself open.

...if he kept prioritizing the attacks heading towards Rengoku.

In the next moment, Akaza sent a fierce punch to his stomach, (Y/N)'s face contorting in pain as he was sent flying back, Rengoku gritting his teeth before slashing at Akaza, drawing his attention away as (Y/N) crashed onto the ground, though just a moment later, he was once more in the brawl, little more than pain remaining.

Akaza sent out a high punch towards Rengoku, though he merely dodged at the last second. However, a cutting whirlwind suddenly slashed open a wound on his forehead, making Rengoku wince, though he didn't stop his attack, forcing Akaza to back away.

"Flame Breathing - First Form: Sea of Fire!"

"It would be a shame to kill you now!" Akaza grinned as his arms were severed off, though they healed in an instant, Akaza sending a myriad of punches towards the Flame Pillar.

"Shadow Breathing - Sixth Form: Shadowfall Vortex!"

The myriad of punches met no target, (Y/N) using his twin blades to slash through them before they could land of either himself or Rengoku.

"Neither of you have reached your physical peak yet!" Akaza suddenly dashed into the vortex of shadows, his fists being slashed apart, but they healed in an instant. Without hesitation, he landed two true blows onto his opponents.

Blood flew from both (Y/N) and Rengoku's mouths as they were both sent scrambling back, Akaza chasing them down as immense pain assailed both of the Pillars.

"Flame Breathing - Second Form: Rising Scorching Sun!"

Rengoku met Akaza with a direct rising slash, Akaza dodging to the side.

"In a year or two, you'll have polished your skills even more, and you'll have greater precision!" Akaza shot punch after punch towards Rengoku, a grin constantly on his lips as he continued to hammer down at Rengoku's defenses, barely managing to handle the never ending onslaught.

"Shadow Breathing - Fifth Form: Moonlit Illusive Slash!"

As Rengoku blocked a punch, Akaza merely grinned as he persisted on the attack, clearly intent on breaking his defenses. However, before he could, a flash of midnight blue slashed cleanly through his arm, Akaza grinning as he sent a rising kick towards Rengoku's chest, sending him stumbling back despite (Y/N)'s successful endeavor of forcibly cancelling out Akaza's first hit, which would've surely crushed Rengoku's eye if it landed squarely upon his face.

Akaza sent out a barrage of punches towards (Y/N), the young Shadow Pillar merely utilizing his Domain to its fullest, trying his best to block every single attack, yet despite his greatest efforts, Akaza always seemed to know where his attacks would be.

Even if he could sense the attacks, he could rarely do little more than meet them head on.

"Technique Development - Destructive Death: Air Type!" Akaza sent a barrage of shockwaves towards (Y/N), each making him take a step back with a successful block.

"Flame Breathing - Third Form: Blazing Universe!"

Rengoku instantly took to the offensive, drawing Akaza's attention away from (Y/N).

"Dance of Ashes - Fourth Step: Dark Devourment!"

(Y/N) dashed back into the fray, a dragon of black flames howling as it roared at Akaza, a fierce thrust forcing him back.

Without a second of hesitation, Akaza sent dozens of Destructive Death: Air Type punches at the two, though Rengoku was far ahead of him.

"Flame Breathing - Fourth Form: Blooming Flame Undulation!"

A curtain of flames instantly devoured the attacks, (Y/N)'s eyes shining as the midnight blue katana descended.

"Shadow Breathing - Second Form: Shadow Wheel!"

A swift crescent of shadow energy instantly forced Akaza to dodge, creating a single second of respite between attacks.

"Technique Development: Destructive Death..."

"Dance of Ashes - Fifth Step..."

"Shadow Breathing - Third Form..."

"Flame Breathing - Fifth Form..."

A single moment shattered in an instant.

" - Purgatory Cross!"

" - Rending Shade!"

" - Flame Tiger!"

(Y/N) rushed forward in a blaze of ardent shadows, a cycle of flames and shadows blazing around him, Rengoku's blade roaring to life with flames as he too rushed forward, a tiger of flames engulfing his sword as he dashed forward.

" - Disorder!"

Akaza grinned, a fiendish grin on his face as the very space around him shook, a barrage of fists instantly causing the very sky to quake as a myriad of punches faced the two Pillars.

"HAAARRRHH!"

It all happened in an instant.

Three swords, two fists.

Then the two groups split apart, the Pillars on one side, and the terrifying Upper Moon on the other, Akaza leaning down to the ground, the Pillars standing strong.

"Did they do it?! Did they get him?!" Inosuke felt both fear and hope latch onto him as he tried to discern the result of the clash.

Tanjiro, however, was far more fearful.

Drip...

Drip...

Drip...

Suddenly, blood began to fall from the two Pillars.

"Don't tell me..." Tanjiro's lips curled up in fear.

The breeze waved through the haoris of the two Pillars. Rengoku's hands shook as he grasped his blade. Blood dripped down (Y/N)'s swords.

Akaza stood up, his arms, which had both been severed, and the various wounds on his chest, healing up instantly.

A sense of dread pooled up in both Inosuke and Tanjiro. A truly ominous feeling.

"Let's fight more." Akaza spoke, his voice completely calm, a slight look of hope on his face as he saw the two battered Pillars.

"Don't go dying on us, Kyojuro." Akaza spoke, his gaze focused on the clearly more wounded of the two. The human.

Tanjiro and Inosuke were left watching on in fear, capable of doing little more than calling out the two Pillars' name in desperation.

Rengoku was clearly battered by this point.

His breaths were labored, and even just standing and holding his sword were proving to be hard tasks.

It was safe to say his human limit was soon to come.

"Even if you fight to the death, you can't win, Kyojuro." Akaza narrowed his eyes at the stubborn Pillar.

Why couldn't he see it?

Victory was impossible as things were.

But if he became a Demon, then they could keep fighting.

He should be able to see what the capabilities of being a Demon would offer him.

Both he and the halfling were still capable of fighting.

All he needed to do was become a Demon.

"Those impressive slashes you managed to land on me have already healed. Even (Y/N) has already healed. But what about you? You've got shattered ribs and damaged internal organs...you're practically beyond saving." Akaza spoke the cold, harsh truth.

"If you were a Demon, you'd heal up in the blink of an eye. Those are mere scratches for a Demon. Try as you might, a human can never beat a demon." Akaza spoke with disdain, a clear frown on his face.

"I want to go help them!" Tanjiro struggled to stand up, a sense of helplessness and dread almost paralyzing him. Yet, despite that, he still reached out to try and help.

Keyword: try.

He couldn't stand even if he wanted to.

Whether it were his wounds or the backlash from Dance of the Fire God...both rendered him immobile for the moment.

He could do little more than watch.

...

A cold chill permeated the night as Akaza calmly faced off against the two Pillars. (Y/N) shifted for a moment, his lips seeming to move, and then he took a step forward.

"...Will you shut up already?" A voice suddenly broke the tense silence, (Y/N) stepping away from Rengoku as he brandished his twin blades.

Akaza merely cast him a glance in surprise.

"How many times will it take before you get it through your thick skull?" (Y/N) pointed the jet black katana at Akaza, his wounds all healed up from the previous scuffle.

"Hm?" Akaza stared at him in both amusement and surprise.

"Neither of us have any plans to take that final step. To have to descend down to our level...don't insult Kyojuro. He's not weak." (Y/N) glared at Akaza, venom dripping from his words as Akaza raised a brow in surprise, and slight confusion.

"Weak?" Akaza repeated, confusion clear on his face.

How was becoming a Demon "weakness"?

Did he not notice that the only two left standing...were both Demons?

"Naturally. Or...don't tell me that you're under the delusion that Demons are...strong?" (Y/N)'s lips curved into a mocking smirk, his haori shifting in the nightly winds as Akaza's smile dropped from his face.

"...What are you saying?" Akaza asked, his tone grave. It was clear he was no longer amused.

"Hahahahaha! You really do think that Demons are strong, don't you?" (Y/N) chuckled to himself, everyone casting him confused glances.

Demons...were strong.

"But tell me - between Demons and Humans, who are the real cowards? Demons can enter a battle as they see fit, and heal from almost any wound in the blink of an eye. Humans, on the other hand, don't get to do that. They risk both life and limb to stave off the Demon's malice. When they get hurt, they can't simply shrug it off. So, tell me, knowing that...whose the real coward?" (Y/N) gave a wicked grin, Akaza frowning at his words.

"Oh, don't get so worked up over it. I'm not only calling you a coward. Naturally, I'm also included in that little list of mine." (Y/N) smiled playfully, taking a step to the left as he began to circle Akaza, who kept his gaze trained on him.

"Demons can go wherever they want without question during the night...they're quite literally almost godly. Humans, on the other hand, are quite frail no matter where they go. A beautiful fragility which they strive to defend with all they've got. But, even though they try, it takes little more than one good hit to break that fragile beauty..." (Y/N) coolly played with his swords, Akaza's frown deepening.

"So, tell me - who are the real cowards?" (Y/N) spoke as he circled around Akaza, a complete 180 from where Tanjiro and the others were.

Akaza frowned. The floor shattered beneath him, and he appeared above (Y/N).

"Hahah...you're getting so worked up over nothing." (Y/N) gave a dark grin, his blades turning into a mere blur as he met Akaza's fists.

"Technique Development - Destructive Death: Air Type." Akaza sent out dozens of shockwaves towards (Y/N), though the Shadow Pillar merely blocked them effortlessly, though he was forced to step back with each subsequent block.

Akaza didn't allow (Y/N) any time to regain his stance, pushing the offensive as a myriad of flashing lights shot down upon him, (Y/N)'s cocky smirk only serving to aggravate Akaza even more.

Yet, as if to prove his point - with every wound he took when failing to block an attack, he just healed it right up.

Like a "coward."

And it aggravated Akaza to no end.

He didn't know why, but he knew one thing for certain.

He wanted to kill him.

He wanted to annihilate (Y/N).

"Technique Development - Destructive Death: Disorder!"

Instantly, a storm of punches assailed (Y/N), shattering the ground around him completely as the Shadow Pillar did his best to dodge the attacks, though the few he failed to dodge did more than their just damage.

Within moments, (Y/N) was reduced to a bleeding mess.

And he laughed.

And the bleeding stopped completely, his swords engulfing with flames and shadows.

"Shadow Breathing - Seventh Form: Turbulent Shadow!"

"Dance of Ashes - Third Step: Flaming Thrust!"

An immense swift stab of flames forced Akaza to retreat, though his arms were then rent apart by shadow energy as (Y/N) smirked, cancelling out both techniques and shooting forward.

Not allowing Akaza to recover, (Y/N) pressed the offensive, sending slash after slash at Akaza, the wind howling around the two as Akaza met each slash head on with his punches, or kicking (Y/N) if his hands weren't free, entering a deadlock as both Demons continuously healed up their injuries in the blink of an eye.

Regenerating his fist, Akaza sent a punch at (Y/N)'s side, to which he merely smirked.

"Dance of Ashes - Sixth Step: Parhelion Sunflare!"

With a sudden twist, the Shadow Pillar left an afterimage as he dodged the attack, taking a different stance.

"Water Breathing - Second Form: Water Wheel!"

A raging tide rent apart Akaza's arms, surprising him immensely. Another breathing style?!

"Your words really don't match your performance! Although you said demons are cowards, aren't you using the strength demons gain beside your own strength?! How could that be weakness?!" Akaza asked excitedly, unleashing punch after punch after punch, each precisely targeted towards (Y/N)'s blind spots. However, each time, he just barely managed to deflect them, barely managing to keep Akaza at bay. Akaza took advantage of (Y/N)'s final block, wherein he paused for a slight moment, sending a fist towards his face.

"Because it lacks the frailty that makes humans so strong!" (Y/N) suddenly shouted, his Nichirin Blade slashing at Akaza's arm, though neither could pierce through the other, bringing the fight to a momentary halt.

"From the moment humans are born, they're frail. They're weak. They're precious. With each passing moment in the life of a human, they're faced with all sorts of emotions - adversity, joy, weakness, pride, sadness, happiness...all of it! From the moment we're born, humans rely on others to grow! You and I are no different, right?! Once upon a time, you were human once, too!" (Y/N) growled, putting more force behind his slash as Akaza did the same, keeping the deadlock.

"That's just dependence, and a sign of weakness! I never needed my "frailty", my humanity, and my weakness, so I left it behind!" Akaza scoffed, a clear frown on his face.

"...Is that what you think?" (Y/N)'s tone suddenly took a softer tone, a hint of pity on his face as Akaza's face tightened, his veins popping out in anger.

"Sometime in your life, someone cared for you. A fragile human looked at you and smiled simply because you existed! Someone took care of you until you could care for yourself! Don't you dare go saying that you didn't need your humanity!" (Y/N) suddenly slashed at Akaza from the left, Akaza merely punching at the incoming blade, though (Y/N) merely ignored his sword, dropping it and landing a solid punch to Akaza's face, sending him flying back.

"Don't you dare say that!" (Y/N) growled, though inwardly, even he was surprised.

No, perhaps he wasn't.

Perhaps this was just his way of venting.

Of it all.

He wasn't human any longer.

He was a demon now.

Was he really fine with that?

Maybe.

Maybe not.

He didn't know.

But what he knew was...

That humanity, to him, was something precious.

It was something worth fighting for.

Even if he wasn't included in that.

Akaza flipped upon the air as he landed on his feet, a stinging feeling on his cheek where he took the punch.

This brat...

"Just because you left that all behind...don't you dare think you can go forgetting it, for even a moment." (Y/N) glared at Akaza with immense hatred, the Upper Moon Three merely frowning.

...

"I was right." Akaza spoke up as he stood up, (Y/N) casting him a confused look.

"...I really do want you dead." Akaza suddenly growled, taking a step forward and appearing in front of (Y/N) in an instant.

"Shi-!" (Y/N) swerved to the side as the air beside Akaza's fist exploded outwards, cutting his face as (Y/N) slashed down at the Upper Moon Three demon without hesitation.

Akaza merely kicked at the sword, sending a fist flying towards (Y/N)'s chest and sending him flying back a bit.

"Technique Development - Destructive Death: Annihilation Type!" An ominous chill suddenly gathered around Akaza's fist, (Y/N)'s eyes widening as a single feeling invaded his senses, his mind - his Domain.

...

...

...

The warning of imminent Death.

With a single step, Akaza lunged forward and instantly crossed the distance between the two, his fist turning into a blinding shadow as an immense shockwave erupted from the two, kicking up an immense wave of dust that hid them from the views of others.

"(Y/N)!" Rengoku shouted in alarm, though when he recalled the prior scenario, he merely grit his teeth and kept his stance.

"(Y/N)-nii!" Tanjiro shouted out in horror, shocked by the immense speed Akaza displayed. It was way beyond anything else he'd ever used so far!

Just how deeply hidden was the true strength of the Upper Moons?!

"What happened?! What happened?!" Inosuke tried desperately to see past the smoke screen, but even as his dread pooled up, he couldn't do more than watch.

One second...

Three seconds...

Nine seconds...

Splash!

Suddenly, the sound of something landing on the ground emerged from the cloud of dust, clearing to show a horrific sight.

Akaza had his fist lodged through (Y/N)'s chest - directly through his heart, said beating heart grasped in his hand.

All that was left was little more than a hole now.

Blood seeped down (Y/N)'s lips as his icy blue eyes were wide in shock and horror.

"...Die already, "coward."" Akaza spoke with disdain, crushing the heart in his hands as (Y/N) let out a gasp of pain, blood vomiting from his mouth as an ominous chill began spreading throughout his body.

With nothing more than a hateful glare, Akaza silently watched the death of the true "coward." The weakling.

"Oh, come on now, Akaza~."

Suddenly, a voice spoke up as Akaza's eyes widened, seeing (Y/N) bearing a massive smirk on his face, his twin blades held up high.

"You didn't think you were the only one who had yet to go all out, right?" (Y/N) gave a serpent-like grin, Akaza's eyes widening as he attempted to pull out his hand, only to fail as (Y/N)'s body regenerated around him, not allowing him to distance him.

Rengoku's eyes widened as he saw the scene, recalling the earlier words that (Y/N) had told him.

"I'll make an opening for you. When I do...use your strongest technique and sever his head." Rengoku grit his teeth, though he forced himself past the pain as flames began to gather around his sword.

"Let's see who hits harder - you, or me." A cold chill had long since numbed (Y/N)'s senses.

This was the only way.

To unleash the final blow, he needed to ensure he couldn't miss.

And what better way than to lure Akaza in?

Without a doubt, this would be his strongest attack yet.

All he had to do was make it count.

"Dance of Ashes - Eighth Step..."

"Shadow Breathing - Tenth Form..."

(Y/N)'s body was suddenly engulfed in black flames and shadows, burning Akaza yet cooling him down at the same time, an ominous smirk on (Y/N)'s face.

"If there's a hell, I'll see you there." (Y/N) mouthed, his twin blades descending as Akaza's eyes widened, sending a punch to try and intercept the attacks.

...

Keyword: try.

...

" - Ashen Calamity!"

" - Wrathful Shadow!"

It all happened in an instant. Tendrils of shadowy slashes shot out as the ground itself was sundered. Hundreds of slashes engulfed the terrain as shadow energy ran rampant - but that was little more than a prologue to what came next. With a might boom, the entire area suddenly exploded with fierce flames, engulfing both (Y/N) and Akaza within the flames.

The ground shattered, the trees nearby fell, the wind raged, the skies were set ablaze.

Little more than "chaos" could aptly describe the momentary scene.

Even Rengoku was dumbfounded at the result of the attack.

"Haah...haah...oh, Akaza..."

However, it lasted all but a moment, the scene dying down instantly to show something perhaps far more horrifying.

"You..." Akaza held a hateful glare on his face, his entire body absolutely charred to hell, his fist still stuck in (Y/N)'s chest, his other hand slashed to ribbons. Furthermore, a strange flame burned his flesh consistently - significantly slowing down his healing factor. Right now, he was little more than an empty corpse standing before (Y/N).

However, (Y/N) himself didn't get off easily either. His Nichirin Blade had quite literally been turned to ashes by the attack, fading through his fingers as the midnight-black katana was sent flying away, stabbing itself into the ground a small distance away.

"Looks like I win." (Y/N) gave a cocky smirk, as even though Akaza healed his remaining arm and shot a punch towards his face - which would surely smash his head to kingdom come, he only smiled.

"Flame Breathing - Ninth Form: Rengoku!"

A dragon of flames suddenly appeared behind (Y/N), Rengoku appearing beside the two in an instant, his blade alight with flames as he slashed at Akaza's neck.

"Shi-!"

Before an instant had even passed, Rengoku's blade bit into Akaza's neck.

Dislodging his free arm with all his strength, Akaza sent a fist at Rengoku's face. The Flame Pillar didn't dodge, pressing the offensive.

Even as his eye was crushed beneath the attack, he pressed on with his blade. Even as his arm bore the full brunt of the attack, losing almost all feeling as his very bones cracked beneath the force, he bore the will to press on beyond the pain and sacrifice.

...

And then, he was sent flying by the force, his blade left spinning in the air, blazing with flames as Rengoku crashed a short distance away, beside the jet black katana.

However, before Akaza could even celebrate his victory, (Y/N) suddenly reached up towards the sword, grabbing it and slashing at Akaza's neck. Due to his dislodged arm, even though Akaza tried to punch (Y/N), he easily held the arm at bay with his own, Rengoku's katana slashing into Akaza's neck.

With both hands trapped, one in (Y/N)'s chest and the other in his fist, Akaza could do little more than watch as the blade reached halfway through his neck.

"...Die already, Akaza!" (Y/N) shouted, placing his full strength into keeping Akaza bound and slashing Rengoku's sword.

Even though Rengoku couldn't land the final blow - he allowed (Y/N) to do so!

He wouldn't fail!

Not here!

"This flame...is slowing down my regeneration!" Akaza, despite trying to pull back, couldn't find it in himself to, (Y/N) refusing to budge.

With every passing second, death loomed ever closer for them both.

(Y/N) quite literally held nothing back, using all of his strength to slash both Akaza's neck and hold back his dislodged fist, while at the same time using every last scrap of his demonic energy to heal his chest wound - but it never healed. It was merely to keep Akaza bound to him.

To enable Akaza's death.

Akaza on the other hand used all the strength that he had to try and pry himself free, but (Y/N) simply would not let go. No matter what he tried, he didn't budge in the slightest.

"AAAARGGGGHHH!" Akaza shouted, clearly strained as he fought to break free, his eyes containing a trace of fear as he glanced over at the horizon.

The sun would rise any minute now!

"Damn! It'll be daybreak soon! I have to kill him and get out of here!" Akaza reinforced his efforts to break free, desperation beginning to tear at him.

"Oh, Akaza~, don't think I'm letting you get away with your head intact!" At this point, (Y/N) could feel little more than the cold chill of his inevitable death.

So he said screw it all.

If he was going to die anyway, he may as well take Akaza with him!

After all, he was just a "halfling".

His immortality wasn't true.

Not like Akaza's.

Besides, he was wasting all of his demonic energy, his "healing factor", to keep Akaza bound.

At this point - at least one of them was guaranteed to die.

...

Or both.

"RRRAAAAAAGGGHHHH!" The two howled out from the bottom of their very souls, bringing forth every last inkling of strength contained within their bodies.

Rengoku felt everything go bleak as he crashed on the ground.

...

And then, he heard the sound of wind chimes.

Flashback...

The sound of wind chimes echoed melodically through the open household.

A young Kyojuro sat peacefully upon the tatami mat, a beautiful black haired woman looking out into the peaceful yard outside. A strange set of notes were neatly wrapped in parchment upon a nearby desk.

"Kyojuro." The sentence instantly drew his attention.

"Yes, Mother?" Kyojuro passionately sat up to attention. His voice rang with untainted passion and ardent resolve.

"I want you to think hard...about what I'm about to ask you." The beautiful woman, his Mother, spoke with a soft voice.

"Do you know why you were born stronger than others?" She asked that fated question.

Rengoku opened his mouth to answer.

But then he closed it.

And then he tried again.

But he failed again.

He didn't know.

"I don't know!" Kyojuro admitted truthfully.

"So that you can save weaker people." His Mother spoke softly, yet a certain tone of admiration was in her voice. Kyojuro listened silently.

"Those who were born blessed with more gifts than others are obligated to use those gifts for the world and other people. You must never use that god-given strength to hurt others or for personal gain." His Mother spoke righteously, yet with a certain softness to her tone.

"It is the duty of those born strong to help the weak. It is a mission they must fulfill responsibly." His Mother continued. Kyojuro stared at her silently.

"Make sure you never forget that."

"I won't!" Kyojuro responded back all too eagerly.

He was strong.

He was the protector of those born weak.

He would accept that role.

His Mother extended her arms out towards him, and he shuffled forward into her embrace.

For a moment, a solemn atmosphere formed in her embrace.

"I don't have much more time to live. I was blessed to be the mother of such a strong and gentle child. I will entrust everything to you."

With the sound of wind chimes, her last words echoed in his mind.

...

Mother.

I found another person like me.

He's strong.

Stronger than me.

He's putting his everything on the line to stop Akaza.

I want to protect him.

He's a Demon.

But I want to protect him.

...

Mother.

Grant me strength, one last time.

Flashback Ends...

Rengoku's hand, through the pain and fury, shot up to grasp the jet black katana, an otherworldly chill entering his body the moment he grasped the hilt. But he forced himself past it.

Even as his arm ached and began to freeze and black markings spread through it - he ignored it all. He barely even noticed it.

The cold chill of death had long since loomed over him.

But he pushed himself past it.

(Y/N) still had Akaza bound. Rengoku's own sword continued to dig into Akaza's neck, perhaps a sign of his will to see this through.

But it wasn't enough.

Flames gathered near Rengoku's lips, raising the jet black katana with immense difficulty - and then, as both his own and the jet black katana glinted - he swung with all his might.

A sickening crack came from his arm.

But the katana went flying.

THWUM!

Instantly, Rengoku's own katana was pushed forward by the jet black katana, crossing almost the entirety of Akaza's ridiculously hard neck.

"GAAAAAHHHH!" Suddenly, Akaza felt a little more than a string of flesh keeping his neck bound to his body, Rengoku's katana a mere instance away from chopping his head off fully.

...

From killing the Upper Moon Demon.

"Rengoku?!" (Y/N) gasped out, seeing the Flame Pillar drop the ground a small distance away, though he grit his teeth, letting loose another shout as he doubled his efforts to slay Akaza.

Everyone was still fighting!

He wasn't going to fail here!

No way in hell!

"GRRRAAAAAAAAGGGHHH!" Both (Y/N) and Akaza desperately summoned all their strengths, both quite literally hanging on the boundary between life and death.

Tanjiro forced himself into a sprint, dashing for his sword as desperate breaths left his lips.

"No matter what (Y/N)-nii says...I have to...do it right now! I have to slice off that Demon's head!" Tanjiro grabbed his sword, dashing back towards (Y/N) and the charred Akaza's struggle with all his might.

But he was slow.

Wounded.

Frail.

Human.

"The sun's coming up...! The sunlight is almost here! I have to get away! I have to get away!" Akaza let out an ear-piercing growl as he pulled with all his might.

But (Y/N) wouldn't relent.

"I'm not letting go, Akaza!" (Y/N)'s icy blue orbs shone with a frosted resolve, black markings appearing on his face as he used all his strength to keep Akaza bound.

With every passing second, Akaza regained more and more of his strength. Ashen Calamity could only stall his strength for so long...!

But it didn't matter!

He'd slash off his head, right here and now!

"OUT OF MY WAY!!!" Akaza shouted, clearly desperate as traces of sunlight began to loom over the horizon.

"NO WAY IN HELL, AKAZA!" (Y/N) kept his grip on the Upper Moon Three.

At this point, he was resolved for the end.

"Move, Inosuke!" Suddenly, a shout drew Inosuke out of his stupor, his grip on his swords nearly fading.

"Move your body for (Y/N)-nii's sake!" Tanjiro shouted desperately.

Inosuke grunted, before taking off into a sprint. Little distance separated him and the ongoing struggle.

"Beast Breathing - First Fang: Pierce!" Inosuke leapt to the skies, slashing down at the two demons beneath.

Akaza yelled loudly as the sword approached, matched only by (Y/N)'s undying determination to chop his head off.

...

Rengoku slowly turned his head up towards the scene.

...

Tanjiro's bated breaths rung throughout the open area.

...

The sunlight continued to loom ever closer with each passing moment.

...

Inosuke's blades descended.

...

SCHUULPTT!

Suddenly, a sickening sound emerged as Akaza's arms turned to ash, leaving little more than stumps as he leapt to the skies, breaking Rengoku's sword, the blade just barely lodged into his loose neck. One of his feet turned to ash, leaving him a sorry sight as he glared at (Y/N), sweat pouring down his face as he took deep, terrified breaths.

For the first time since becoming an Upper Moon...

He felt fear.

"I have to find refuge from the sun!" As Akaza landed, his last remaining leg turned to ash, though he regenerated his arms, using all of his strength to throw himself forward into the forest.

With a single toss, he was a fair distance in.

...

He regenerated his legs.

He began to run away.

He would escape.

Tanjiro wouldn't let it happen.

"That took too long!" Akaza growled, his neck beginning to regenerate and reattach, grasping Rengoku's sword hatefully, crushing it in his fingers.

How humiliating!

How utterly humiliating!

"Grah!" Suddenly, blood spurted from his chest as Tanjiro's jet black Nichirin Blade stabbed into Akaza's fleeing form.

That brat...!

However angered he was, Akaza still focused on running away, his ashen wounds beginning to heal.

"Don't run away! Don't run away, you coward! Don't run away!" Tanjiro shouted, a sweltering rage gathering within him as Akaza retreated deeper into the forest.

"What the hell is that brat talking about? Doesn't he have a brain in his head? I'm not running away from you, I'm running away from the damn sun!" Akaza took leap after leap further into the forest, a single goal in mind.

Escape!

"And besides, the battle's already been decided! Kyojuro is already long past his lifetime with his wounds, and (Y/N) used up all his energy in those last attacks! They'll both run out of strength and die soon!" Akaza leapt into the shadows, disappearing under the veil of the forest.

Upper Moon Three fled successfully.

"The Demon Slayer Corps...is always fighting you demons in the dark of the night where you have the advantage! That's right, us flesh and blood humans! Our wounds don't close up that easily! And we cannot regenerate a limb once we lose it! Don't run away, you bastard! You bastard! You coward! (Y/N)-nii and Rengoku-san are way more amazing than you! They're stronger! They didn't lose! They didn't let anyone die! They fought until the end! They protected everyone to the end! You're the one who lost! It's (Y/N)-nii and Rengoku-san who won!" Tanjiro shouted with rage and sadness fueling his voice, tears falling down his face in droves as he shouted ceaselessly towards the forest. His cries, full of grief and sadness, filled up the bright morning scene as (Y/N) and Rengoku gazed at him in surprise, glancing at each other, before giving each other a small smile.

"Tanjiro, please don't cry." (Y/N)'s voice, extremely soft at this point, spoke up as he gazed at Tanjiro with extreme kindness.

"You'll...reopen that stomach wound if you keep crying. You're badly injured as well, remember? If you end up dying, Kamado-kun, it'll really make us the losers." Rengoku spoke with a kind smile, despite the blood flowing down his face.

Rengoku slowly forced himself onto his feet, taking various steps forward.

He couldn't get much further than besides (Y/N), dropping to his knees beside him as (Y/N), blood dripping from his lips and a hole in his chest, staring at him patiently.

"Rengoku-san...(Y/N)-nii..." Tanjiro turned towards the two, tears present in his burgundy eyes as he took in their beaten states.

"Come over here. Let's talk a bit, one last time." Rengoku invited, slowly managing to force himself onto his knees, similar to (Y/N), the two laying upon the charred ground.

A single crow landed a fair distance away, upon the shattered train.

...

"There's something I remembered...while I was dreaming." Rengoku began as Tanjiro willed himself to sit down across from the two, tears present in his eyes.

(Y/N) half-wanted to crack a joke.

He decided not to.

He didn't have it in him to, anyway.

"You should go to my parents' house, the Rengoku residence." Rengoku spoke clearly, smiling despite the blood trailing down his lips and face.

"There should be notes there left by the preceding Flame Pillars. My father often read them, but since I never did, I don't know what's in them. There might be some kind of record of that Dance of the Fire God you mentioned." Rengoku grimaced, feeling pain assailing him from all sides as blood began to flow down his wounds in droves.

Faintly, he felt slightly lightheaded.

"R-Rengoku-san...please don't talk anymore! Save your strength!" Tanjiro begged, a desperate look on his face as more tears ran down his face.

"...Do you think you can close those wounds?" (Y/N) asked softly, gazing over Rengoku's battered form.

"No. I'll probably be dead soon." Rengoku shook his head, a sad smile plastered on his face.

"..." (Y/N) couldn't deny the bitter feeling that broke through the imminent cold within him.

"I'm...going to tell you all I can while I can still talk, so listen, will you?" Rengoku requested kindly, the two Kamado brothers listening intently. In the distance, Inosuke shook in place.

Whether it was out of sadness, fear or anger.

...He didn't know.

"Tell my little brother, Senjuro, to follow his heart...and to walk down the path that he feels is right."

Tanjiro held back his tears as best he could.

"Tell my father...that I want him to take care of himself."

The trio listened on silently. (Y/N) felt the cold grasp over even his missing heart.

"One more thing...(Y/N), Young Kamado...I believe in your little sister. I accept her as a member of the Demon Slayer Corps. I saw her bleeding as she protected the humans inside the train. Anyone who risks their lives fighting demons to protect humans...is a rightful member of the Demon Slayer Corps no matter what anyone else says. And...I wholeheartedly accept you as one as well, (Y/N). At first, I'll admit I found the idea of a Demon joining the ranks of the Pillars repulsive...a mockery of what the Demon Slayer Corps stood for. But, seeing how you fought here...I am glad to admit that I was wrong. Although your body may be that of a Demon's...your heart is that of a human's." Rengoku spoke softly, his words heavy as both (Y/N) and Tanjiro's eyes widened, tears forming in both of their gazes. (Y/N) himself, grit his teeth before looking away in helplessness.

"Go ahead and live with your head held high! No matter how devastated you may be with your weakness or uselessness...set your heart ablaze." Rengoku spoke his own phrase of power, a slight feeling of strength quickly appearing within him.

...It disappeared almost instantly.

"Grit your teeth and look straight ahead. Even if you stop and crouch down, time won't wait for you...or snuggle and grieve along with you. Don't feel bad that we're going to die here..." Rengoku spoke clearly, but his voice remained soft.

"As a Pillar, it's only natural that we would shield our juniors. And as your brother...I'm sure (Y/N) felt even more obligated to protect you." Rengoku spoke, Tanjiro glancing over at (Y/N), who merely gazed away in embarrassment, though his face only turned more pale with every passing moment.

"I'm sure...any other Pillar would've also done the same thing. We never let the young buds get nipped. Young Kamado, Boar Head Boy, Yellow Boy..." Rengoku spoke, glancing at the two currently in sight.

(Y/N) hit his lips, tears forming on his eyes.

Damn it...all...

"Keep learning and grow. And then...become the next Pillars supporting the Demon Slayer Corps, just as (Y/N) and I do. I believe in you. I believe in you all." Rengoku spoke with a soft smile, Tanjiro and Inosuke shaking as tears began to pool in their eyes.

A soft, helpless smile formed on Rengoku's face as he saw their tears. He then turned towards (Y/N), who was currently looking down at the ground, his hands clenched tightly and looking pale.

"(Y/N)...you can't heal that?" Rengoku, as if weighting his words, asked softly as he pointed at the hole in his chest.

"Nah...it does leave me pretty...heartless..." (Y/N) softly joked, though neither he nor Rengoku were in the mood to laugh. Still, they both smiled.

A silence spoke up around the group, before (Y/N) felt a single tear fall from his eyes, frustrated.

"So much for...making sure that nobody died...huh?" (Y/N) spoke, his voice soft and broken as Rengoku merely cast him a soft smile.

"No. You did...excellently. I'm sorry I couldn't be...of more help. Don't blame my death...on yourself." Rengoku reassured, an empty smile plastered on his face.

By this point, neither of them felt much more than the seeping cold.

"Ren-...no, Kyojuro, if I can call you that..." (Y/N) spoke meekly.

"You can." Kyojuro reassured with a smile.

"...I didn't know you for long, but...it was a pleasure fighting beside you." (Y/N) spoke, Rengoku's eyes widening in surprise.

And then, his lips curved into a soft smile.

"The pleasure...was all mine, (Y/N)." The Flame Pillar gave a soft laugh, (Y/N) sharing it.

And then, Kyojuro began to slump forward, his vision beginning to wane.

And in the distance, a familiar phantasm watched on.

"Mother...do you think I did it right? Did I carry out what I had to do...and my duties?" Kyojuro thought with a small, soft smile.

...

"You made me proud."

At the Phantoms' words, Kyojuro gave a beautiful smile.

And then, he slumped forward, his eyes closing forevermore.

"See you...soon..." (Y/N) bit his lips, a strange coldness having grasped the majority of his body.

He couldn't even move more than his face anymore.

So...this was it, huh...

"(Y/N)-nii..." Tanjiro, upon seeing Rengoku slump, cried even harder, tears going down his face like waterfalls.

(Y/N)'s crushed heart broke a little.

...

"Tanjiro...Inosuke, please don't cry..." (Y/N) spoke softly, facing the two remaining Demon Slayers.

"I don't think I can...say it much better than Kyojuro did...but, please don't let our deaths drag you guys down. You're all very...bright and talented...I hope you all grow...even stronger than us." (Y/N) smiled softly, Tanjiro's tears falling even more as (Y/N) just gave a helpless smile.

"Hold your heads up high...and when you find yourselves lost...just know that I'll be watching from the next world. I'll..." (Y/N) felt tears begin to pool in his own eyes, his words dying in his mouth.

What more could he say?

"Just...make sure to live your lives...to the fullest, alright?" (Y/N) gave a soft grin, Tanjiro and Inosuke both crying rivers of tears.

Tanjiro began to cry.

(Y/N)'s eyes failed him.

He couldn't see anything.

But even still...

"Ahh...Tanjiro's crying..." (Y/N) reached out into the empty void before him.

He could hear it.

He could sense it.

Tanjiro was crying.

"You don't have to cry..." (Y/N) smiled despite the blood on his lips.

"Because Big Brother is here for you..."

"He'll beat up..."

"Anyone who..."

"Makes..."

"You..."

"Cry."

...

(Y/N)'s hand patted Tanjiro's head, and then, he slumped forward, crashing into the charred ground.

...

(Y/N) Kamado...

(Y/N) (L/N)...

...

Was dead.

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

♪ "Sayonara" "Arigatou" koe no kagiri ♪

♪ Yelling "Goodbye" and "Thank You" ♪

An empty silence surrounded the wreckage of the Infinity Train, Zenitsu standing beside Tanjiro and Inosuke as he gazed in disbelief at the two fallen Pillars...

"When the train went off the rails, (Y/N) and Rengoku unleashed all sorts of techniques. They...must've kept the damage to the cars to a minimum." Zenitsu spoke softly, yet his tone laced with disbelief and...sadness.

"I guess they did..." Tanjiro spoke back lifelessly.

"For them to actually die...I just can't believe it..." Zenitsu stared at the two corpses with conflicting feelings. Not all that long ago, he was just laughing alongside them...

"Did an Upper Moon Demon...actually come?" Zenitsu asked softly, his voice shaking. Tanjiro nodded at his words.

♪ Kanashimi yori motto daiji na koto ♪

♪ Something more important than sadness ♪

"Why would an Upper Rank come here? Was it that strong? I mean..." Zenitsu struggled to wrap his head around it.

(Y/N)'s endless confidence.

Rengoku's endless passion.

Both just...gone.

"Yeah..." Tanjiro shook, his voice fragile.

♪ Sariyuku senaka ni tsutaetakute ♪

♪ I want to convey back that I was leaving ♪

"I'm so...frustrated!" Tanjiro shook as tears fell down his face endlessly, his hands clenched on his lap. He felt so...helpless.

"As soon as I master one thing, I find another thick wall right in front of me...while more powerful people are fighting far beyond it." Tanjiro sobbed, his tears raining down live rain.

"I just can't make it there yet!" He cried out in frustration, his voice shaky.

"If I'm still stumbling around in a place like this, can I..." Tanjiro stumbled over his words.

"Can I...can I ever become like (Y/N)-nii and Rengoku-san?" Tanjiro cried, sobbing as he clenched his fists into the ground. Similarly, Zenitsu and Inosuke both shook in sadness...

♪ Nukumori to itami ni ma ni au you ni ♪

♪ So that I could make time for warmth and pain ♪

"Stop whining already!" Inosuke suddenly shouted, his voice clearly shaky, yet he still forced his words. Tanjiro and Zenitsu gazed up at him in surprise, tears on both of their faces.

"Stop saying dumbass things like, "Can I or can't I be like them?" They said they believe in you, so just think about how you're going to measure up to that!" Inosuke cried out, swinging his swords around as his voice wavered.

"All living things just go back to the earth when they die! Sobbing or sniveling won't bring them back! Don't cry even if you have regrets!" Inosuke bawled, tears coming out of the boar mask en masse.

"No matter how pathetic or humiliated you feel, you still have to go on living!" Inosuke cried.

♪ Kono mama tsuzuku to omotteita ♪

♪ I had thought that it would continue ♪

"But you're crying too...there are tears flooding out of your headpiece." Zenitsu pointed out with tears in his own eyes.

Inosuke bashed his head onto Zenitsu's.

"I'm not crying!" Inosuke cried out, Zenitsu dropping to the ground in tears of both sadness and pain.

Inosuke ran around swinging his swords wildly, wild cries leaving his mouth. Tanjiro sobbed beside (Y/N)'s corpse, a hollow feeling engulfing him. For the second time now, he'd lost his brother...only this time, it was permanent.

"Get over here! We're gonna train!" Inosuke, through his own tears, pulled Tanjiro as the three boys cried their hearts out. Only sad cries filled the air, the Shadow and Flame Pillars both slouched on the ground...

♪ Bokura no ashita wo egaiteita ♪

♪ And I had painted our tomorrow ♪

A single crow flew overhead, tears leaving its eyes. Rengoku's crow...

In a nearby town, Shinobu's eyes widened as she listened to the words of her own Kasugaigarasu, dropping the bag in her hands as Kanao's normally calm expression turned into one of shock, tears gathering in her eyes as she heard the news. In a single step, Shinobu disappeared, leaving only a single tear to drop where she previously stood.

"Master...(Y/N)..." Kanao spoke softly, yet a tone of sadness was clear on her lips as she heard the news. Gathering up the bag of supplies, she too disappeared from the town.

Elsewhere, the other Pillars also received the same grim message.

Beneath the shade of a red parasol, Mitsuri raised a hand to her mouth in shock, tears gathering at her eyes.

♪ Yobiatte wa {yobiatte wa} ♪

♪ Calling to each other ♪

Muichiro calmly walked through the bamboo forest around him even as his crow delivered the grave news. His expression remained unchanged.

"So...even those two couldn't beat an Upper Rank demon?" Uzui muttered gravely from atop a building, his flashy Kasugaigarasu delivering the grave news. A bitter frown formed on Uzui's face...and then he clicked his tongue in anger.

"...No way." Aikon gasped out in shock, his Attendants around him gazing at him with solemn looks as his silver Kasugaigarasu delivered the grave news.

"I don't believe it..." Iguro scoffed, his hands clenching as he heard the news.

"...(Y/N)-san...Rengoku-san..." Akari's eyes were rife with tears as she received the news, breaking down on the spot as her crow comforted her.

♪ Hikari ga mada {hikari ga} ♪

♪ The light is yet to come ♪

"...Fuck." Amelie cursed as she received the news, a sad look overtaking her face as her crow delivered the sad news.

"Namu Amida Butsu." Gyomei chanted a prayer as he received the news, tears falling down his eyes. Genya, who stood nearby, grit his teeth at the news.

"...In their place, I'll exterminate those repulsive demons!" Sanemi growled as he clenched his katana tightly, dozens of slashed bamboo's around him.

"...I see." Giyu spoke as he was told the news, biting his lip as a single tear left his eye, walking away.

It was a sad time all around as the Demon Slayer Corps mourned the death of the newly appointed Shadow Pillar and the long beloved Flame Pillar.

♪ Mune no oku ni atsuinoni ♪

♪ Fill my heart with scorching heat ♪

"So, not one of the 300 passengers lost their lives? (Y/N) and Kyojuro did a great job, then." Kagaya praised softly, the flowing waters around he and his family providing a serene feel.

"What remarkable children..." Kagaya gave a helpless smile. But, even still...

Amane placed a comforting hand upon his chest.

"I'm not sad. I don't have much longer to live, either." Kagaya spoke with a slightly helpless tone, but he didn't reveal any sadness. He couldn't.

"Soon, I'll be joining (Y/N), Kyojuro, and all the others...in the land of the dead." Kagaya spoke heavily, his usually soft voice shaking just slightly.

♪ Bokutachi wa moesakaru tabi no tochuu de deai ♪

♪ We find ourselves in the middle of a fiery journey ♪

♪ Te wo toorikoshite hanashita mirai no tame ni ♪

♪ Take your hand and let go for the future ♪

♪ Yume ga hitotsu kanau tabi boku wa kimi wo omou kara ♪

♪ Whenever a dream comes true, I think of you again ♪

♪ Tsuyoku naritai to negai naita ♪

♪ Crying I say "I want to be stronger" ♪

"(Y/N)-nii...Rengoku-san...!" Tanjiro cried out as tears fell nonstop down his face. This was just far too cruel!

Inosuke wailed loudly as he swung his swords all around, an attempt to rid himself of the sadness. But...it did little to alleviate the pain in his heart.

Zenitsu wailed to himself, sniffling as tears fell ceaselessly down his face. He couldn't believe it...they were gone, just like that...

Within her box, Nezuko shed silent tears, holding onto herself as her body shook. Once more, he was gone...

Aoi dropped the basket in her hands as she received the news, tears rising to her eyes.

Lucile watched the brightening skies above within the labyrinth, a quiet turmoil in her heart. For some reason, she felt strangely...saddened...

Within a land of snow and frost, a man sat silently before a statue of a coiling dragon, a snowflaked-blue haori swinging in the wind...

♪ Ketsui wo hanamuke ni ♪

♪ A farewell resolution ♪

A fading ghost of (Y/N) and Rengoku grinned at each other, bumping shoulders as they disappeared into the endless sky above, two bright stars forevermore...

♪♪♪♪

♪♪♪♪

♪♪♪♪

♪ Natsukashi omoi ni torawaretai ♪

♪ I want to be caught up in nostalgic feelings ♪

♪ Zankoku na sekai ni nakisakende ♪

♪ Crying loudly at this cruel world ♪

♪ Otona ni naru hodo fuete yuku ♪

♪ This starving feeling will grow as I get older ♪

♪ Mou nani hitotsu datte ushinaitakunai ♪

♪ I don't want to lose anything else anymore ♪

♪ Kanashimi ni nomare ochite shimaeba ♪

♪ If I get drunk with sadness and fall ♪

♪ Itami wo kanjinaku naru keredo ♪

♪ I won't feel any pain ♪

♪ Kimi no koto ga {kimi no koto ga} ♪

♪ Your words {your words} ♪

♪ Kimi no negai {kimi no koe} ♪

♪ Your wish {your wish} ♪

♪ Boku wa mamorinuku to chikattan da ♪

♪ I swore to protect you ♪

♪Ohh~♪

♪Ohh~♪

♪ Oto wo tatete kuzureochite yuku ♪

♪ A noise is heard and then it fades away ♪

♪ Hitotsu dake no kakegae no nai sekai ♪

♪ There is only one irreplaceable world ♪

♪♪♪♪

♪♪♪♪

♪♪♪♪

♪ Te wo nobashi dakitometa hageshii hikari no taba ♪

♪ I reached out to hug a bundle of fierce light ♪

♪ Kagayaite kietetta mirai no tame ni ♪

♪ For the future that shines and disappears ♪

♪ Takusareta shiawase to yakusoku wo koete yuku ♪

♪ Beyond the entrusted happiness and promises ♪

♪ Furikaerazu ni susumu kara ♪

♪ I'll go without looking back ♪

♪ Mae dake muite sakebu kara ♪

♪ I'll just look forward and scream ♪

♪ Kokoro ni hono homura wo tomoshite ♪

♪ Set your heart ablaze ♪

♪ Tooi mirai made~ ♪

♪ Until that distant future~ ♪

—————————————————————————
...I can't believe it.

A heavy veil of despair clouds the endless skies above, as the two stars of Shadow and Flames dim to the terror of Disorder...

Shit...

Fucking ninjas and their damn onions...

...

...

...

Shadows fall forevermore, the blaze of Daybreak will never be the same quite again...

This...is the last page of his story.

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

...or is it?

Next time: A New Daybreak...

~ Chaoz has logged out. ~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

35.1K 1.4K 26
❝ 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐈 𝐖𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐖𝐑𝐈𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐍 𝐅𝐎𝐑 𝐄𝐀𝐂𝐇 𝐎𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑 ❞ ㅤ ╰┈─➤ in which y/n, the frost hashira, encounters tanjiro during his final s...
31.4K 824 74
The Kamado siblings are just like any other set of siblings. The level-headed eldest sister, the workhorse second-eldest brother, and the loveable yo...
612K 23.5K 34
(Y/n) Kamado a young cheerful girl, third to the eldest sibling, lives in a big and happy household but in that one faithful day when you accompanied...
3.9K 96 18
Another demon slayer fanfiction. [Kamado Tanjiro × Fem! Demon reader] "Sʜᴇ's ɪɴᴅᴇᴇᴅ ᴘᴏᴡᴇʀғᴜʟ ʙᴜᴛ I ғᴇᴀʀ ᴏɴᴄᴇ ʜᴇʀ ʏᴏᴜɴɢᴇʀ sɪʙʟɪɴɢ ɪs ɢᴏɴᴇ, ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ ᴡɪʟʟ...