Main Attraction

EJCornish द्वारा

Olive is a single mom to her daughter Melody. She's got a boring job as a secretary, a jerk of an ex, and a p... अधिक

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26

Chapter 27

1.4K 47 17
EJCornish द्वारा

10 Months Later

Olive's Point of View

I literally could not believe I was standing in the wings of such a giant stage. I was waiting with all the members of Disaster's Calling as well as Kim, Reid, Jack, Daisy, Tessa, Peter, and Margot. Yes Margot, Tessa's friend who I thought was never going to settle down. She and Adam were surprisingly great together and have been dating for almost two years now.

Anyway, Disaster's Calling were just starting their tour for their newest album, which was co-written by myself. I still couldn't believe the success they'd found with it. I was even in the running for a Grammy for my work. I have even been able to quit my old job to work with the label as a full-time songwriter. I also started taking classes to learn more about mixing and producing songs. My hope is that one day I can start working as a producer, but for now I am happy writing songs. It has allowed me a flexibility to be with my family that I could never have expected. I loved it.

I felt an arm go around my shoulder and looked up to see Rebecca standing next to me. "You sure I can't convince you to go out there with us?"

I just laughed, "I'm happy right here."

"If you change your mind, don't hesitate to just come right out. We're happy to have you." The lights went down and suddenly Rebecca's arm left my shoulders as the band silently made their way onto the stage.

The cheers of the audience filled my ears as I watched from the side. The electricity in the air made the hairs on my arms stand up. Reid's hand found mine, but I couldn't take my eyes off the stage as the sound of guitar and drums filled the arena. The cheers raised to deafening levels as the lights went up and Rebecca went to the microphone and started singing.

I danced with everyone as they played through their hits. It was a night of pure euphoria. The band was on fire, but that was nothing new. They were professionals. It didn't mean they didn't have fun; you could feel the joy they had when they were performing. It was infectious.

There was a lull in the music where Rebecca looked over at us with a wink. She turned back to the audience with a smile playing on her lips. "How y'all doing tonight?" She asked to the chorus of cheers. "That's what I like to hear! Now, not sure if you know this but we got the chance to work with one of the most talented musicians I've ever met on our newest album. She is incredible and just so happens to be my sister-in-law."

My jaw dropped as Rebecca looked over at me with her signature smirk. "Anyway, she wrote this next song all by herself. So please, give her a round of applause cause she's sitting backstage right now." The crowd started cheering so loud I couldn't believe it. They were cheering for me. My work. My heart was absolutely pounding in my chest. I looked to my side and my eyes met Reid's. His lips turned up as his eyebrow raised and he nodded his head towards the stage. A smile came to my lips as I looked back out to the stage and did something I never thought I'd do.

I walked out on stage.

Rebecca's face lit up as she turned back to the crowd. "Give it up for the legendary Olive Wilson!" The crowd cheered as Rebecca came over to give me a hug. "You sing the lead melody and I'll back you up. You're going to kill it." She said as she grabbed her guitar and slung it over her shoulder. She had me step up to her microphone and I stared out at the crowd. Holy shit. I could not believe I was going to perform in front of all those people. I closed my eyes and began to shut out the noise from the crowd. You can do it Olive. The band started playing and my eyes flew open. A smile played on my lips as I stepped up and began to sing for the stadium filled with people.

(Lavender Bones by Stand Atlantic)

Sick of having empty habits
Leading to the selfish havoc
I'm lonely in my own bones
You're unweaving where you stand
Stitch me into all your plans
Just like a cherry stone

The music filled my entire body as I savoured the moment. I didn't mess up a single word, keeping the vocals reserved as I sang the verses. I lifted my hands to the microphone stand. As soon as the chorus hit, I pulled the microphone off its stand and just let loose. I was so completely free as I belted out those notes with the crowd singing along with me. I felt so alive.

I know I'm out of my depth, but I just float in it
I'm trying to do my best, stop picking fights with it
I wanna be upset, you're not alright with it
I can cover it up, I can cover it
I'm trying to speak my mind, wish it was by design
But I can only confess to having doubts with it
Don't wanna feel regret, I'm not alright with it
I can cover it up, I can cover it
(I can cover it up, I can cover it up)

I began singing and dancing with the band. I could feel the energy from the crowd. For the first time I didn't feel the crowd melt away. I was aware of them but they were feeding me. I was having so much fun. I could see why performers chased that performance high. It was intoxicating.

Once the song was over, the crowd's cheers reached a deafening crescendo. Rebecca came over to give me a hug. I handed her back the microphone and gave a quick bow before heading backstage.

As soon as I was backstage, Reid picked me up in a giant hug as he peppered my face with kisses. "You were fucking amazing! I am so proud of you Princess." I laughed as my friends joined in our hug. I couldn't believe that I actually just did that. Melody would be so proud of me.

The rest of the concert was so much fun. We couldn't talk much, but we danced our hearts out. We were brought drinks by the roadies and given the five-star treatment. Reid could barely keep his hands off of me. I didn't mind in the slightest. It was nice to know we could keep the passion alive.

When the concert was over the band came bouncing off stage. All four of them practically tackled me on their way. Unfortunately, they were practically covered in sweat and kinda gross. "Holy shit Oli you killed it! They fucking loved you!" Dean said as he wrapped me up in a headlock.

"Ew! You smell disgusting." I gagged as I pushed him off. I was still laughing the entire time. The euphoria that came from playing for such a large crowd was hitting me hard.

"So has the bug bitten you? Gonna release an album and tour and all that fun jazz?" Rebecca asked as we made our way to the green room.

"Hell no! One and done, that good enough for me!" I answered. I saw Reid walking in front of us and decided to run up and jump on his back. He staggered for a moment before he caught himself. "Not with you though baby," I whispered in his ear.

We were all laughing our asses off by the time we made it to the green room. Reid deposited me on the couch before sitting down and dragging me onto his lap. Everyone was handed drinks as we began to celebrate the night. Reid stood up and got everyone's attention. "Alright guys, quiet. I have a few things to say! First, here's to an amazing debut and hopefully not a final show from my amazing unbelievably hot wife."

"To Olive!" Everyone cheered. Reid picked me up and wrapped his arms around my shoulders and pressed a kiss to the top of my head.

"Alright, now we have an excited announcement that I think you're all going to love this one." Reid looked down at me with the biggest smile across his face.

"I'm pregnant!" The entire room swarmed us in a giant group hug as they all began congratulating us.

"With twins!" Reid added and I think they all lost their minds. It was about the same reaction Reid and I had when we found out. I was terrified, but I knew that Reid was going to by my side through it all. If you would have told me three years ago that I'd have sung a song on stage with my favourite band with my husband cheering me on backstage, while expecting twins, I would have told you were insane. Yet there I was living it! I'm the luckiest woman there is.

I had finally come to realize that there is nothing wrong with being the main attraction... well... sometimes that is.

The End

Author's Note:

Thank you everyone for all the reads, comments, and votes! I hope you all enjoyed reading Main Attraction as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Now, if you did enjoy Main Attraction, please consider checking out my previous works and following me here to stay up to date with all my latest releases. Most are going to be on my Inkitt page, you can find me at Ejcornish. I am working on a follow up that centers around a grown up Melody and how she navigates adulthood. It's going to be queer and a lot of fun. I am in the final year of my degree and haven't had as much time to write as I would like so it may be a bit before I'm ready to start posting. I will keep you all up to date with when it is coming!

Thank you once again for reading. For sneak peeks on my future releases, check me out on Instagram!

Sending you all lots of love,

EJ Cornish

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

~Reality~ ~Ava~ द्वारा

सामान्य साहित्य

1.3K 414 28
Ava only ever kept two big secrets from her parents. One, was that she played soccer, and the second was.. well... she was an online singing sensatio...
Saved Madison:) द्वारा

सामान्य साहित्य

827K 16.4K 33
Isabella Rose Romano A 13 year old to which love is something very unfamiliar to her. Having grown up in the foster system, it didn't come very often...
411K 12.3K 49
After generations of men in the Giordano family, the idea of a baby girl was a mere dream. So when their first and only princess was born, they belie...
9.9K 316 25
Sydney didn't have much, but that was fine with her. She didn't need much. Growing up on the Washington coast in a lonely beach town, working quietly...