Mending Her Soul

By Swarmayi

• Winner - The Rose Awards 2022 • 1st Runner Up - The Hawa Mahal Awards 2022 • Cover credit - @_littlebitcraz... More

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Cover
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Eighteen
Cover 2
Epilogue
Hey There!

Seventeen

7K 620 113
By Swarmayi

"Close your eyes. Take a deep breathe for five seconds. Yes. Right. Now hold your breathe for 10 seconds. Good. Now slowly leave it in 5 seconds. Yes. Now again repeat this cycle for two more times, bhabhi. Breathe, hold and leave." Navya instructed Nandini. They were doing breathing exercise and after that councilling session.

Manik wasn't present there as per Navya's strict warning. His presence may have distracted Nandini or she would hesitate to open up about anything. Navya didn't want that. She wanted to know each and everything going inside Nandini's head at present. Then only she would be able to help her out of this. And after convincing Manik about same, he agreed.

"Ok. Now take a deep breathe for 5 seconds. Make a balloon face and leave a breathe as if you are blowing candle. Slowly slowly. Yes. You're doing right. Continue doing it for 2 more times, bhabhi." Instructed Navya. Nandini did as she was being told.

"Good. Now breathe normal for 10 seconds. Yes. Now take a deep breathe and leave it making buzzy bee sound. Don't open mouth at all. Concentrate on your breathing. Yes. Make this buzzy bee sound for 5 times. It will create positive vibrations in your brain and you will feel relax." Said Navya. Nandini did as Navya said. After completing it, Nandini rubbed her hands with each other and moved them on her face. Opening her eyes slowly, she looked at Navya who smiled at her warmly.

"How are you feeling, Bhabhi?"

"Fresh and energetic." Said Nandini smiling at Navya. Navya nodded.

"That's great. Now we are all good to talk. So tell me bhabhi. How are you?" Asked Navya chirping. Nandini giggled.

"Navya! I am all fit and fine. Sitting infront of you. Doing exercise and yoga." Navya smiled at her answer and shook her head.

"That's your physical health. I am talking about your mental health, bhabhi. How are you mentally feeling?" Nandini's face paled a bit which Navya noticed.

"Navya.. I am fine mentally too." Mewed Nandini. Navya smiled.

"I am a counselor and I understand people looking at their faces. You're lieing, bhabhi." Said Navya. Nandini sighed.

"Navya please.."

"Bhabhi, you have to open up. Think me as your bestest friend. Share everything you feel. Cry, shout, scream do whatever you feel like. I won't stop you. But don't supress. It will trouble your brain and it can trigger another seizure attack. I assure you that whatever you will do or share, it will be remain between us. Always. That's my promise." Said Navya. Nandini let out a shaky breathe.

"Honestly, I don't know what I feel. It's so complicated. You know all history of mine. You know how my mother behaved. But now, since I have returned from hospital. I feel like she is changed. She wants me back in her life. She shows her care through papa but I know all her gestures. I know that it's hurting her thinking her own daughter hates her. Hate? Hate is a very big word, Navya. I don't hate her. I never did. Even after facing worst, I just couldn't. I always craved for her. Her love and care. But I never got. When I entered in this house, Niyo mumma fulfilled my those cravings. She become the mother I wanted. Now when I have stopped expecting anything from my mother, she has realized her mistake and want to rectify it. But it's too late. Now I don't want her love or care. I don't want anything from her. Still.. still it hurts to hurt her. Because I went through the same phrase from 20 years. I don't want her to feel that loneliness, that feeling of being left out. But at the same time, I don't want her to do anything for me. I don't want to see her guilt ridden sorry face. It makes me remember my sufferings. Those moments. I don't want to keep any expectations from her again. I fear it will be crushed again. I fear to go close to her yet I don't want to make her suffer alone. What should I do, Navya? Why it is so complicated?" Navya gave Nandini a small smile who had moist eyes.

"Forgive her, bhabhi." Said Navya calmly. Nandini gasped.

"Navya?"

"Yes bhabhi. Forgive your mother. Unless you won't do that, this thing will keep bothering you. If you won't forgive her, she will have guilt on her face always while coming infront of you which will make you remember your past. If you won't forgive her, she will keep on doing something to gain your attention or to make you feel love which will make you feel irritated or frustrated. If you won't forgive her, no one in the family will ever accept her and give her the place in your life which will hurt her, make her feel alone. Eventually it will hurt you too and give you stress mentally because how much you deny, you still love her and cannot see her hurt. Am I right?" Asked Navya on which Nandini went in deep thoughts.

"Take your time bhabhi. Think about it. But, no stress. If you feel your emotions going out of control. Close your room door, scream your lungs out untill you feel satisfied. Don't mind about anyone. Inform them that you're doing exercise which I told you so that they won't get worried. Take a pillow and punch it till you feel like. Let out everything. Just don't supress. Okay?" Asked Navya softly on which Nandini nodded giving her a small smile.

"Thanks Navya. You are doing so much for me. I owe you alot." Said Nandini. Navya made stern face.

"And you say we are best friends! It's been a month we have started your exercises. And today, first time in counselling you talked about your mother. I didn't force you previously because I knew you needed time. And I gave you. But I am happy now that you opened up to me. And trust me, whatever you will say, whether it's regarding your mother or anyone else in the family, even Cabir, I won't ever judge you nor I will let anyone know about your views. It's safe with me. But I will surely try to help you my best. Bhabhi, whatever I am doing or will do in future too is my duty as well as responsibility as your doctor/ trainer/ counsellor, as your sister-in-law and most importantly - as your best friend. So never say thanks. Just do follow my instructions and don't stress. Get well soon from your problem and that's all I want. You, fully fit and fine. Both mentally and physically. That's my only goal now. Okay?" Asked Navya while Nandini smiled and took her in bear hug.

"I am so lucky to get you as my friend, Navya. You're the best." Nandini chirped. Navya giggled.

"Voh toh main hu! Achha bhabhi, are you free in today noon? I wanted to go out for my engagement shopping. Only fifteen days are remaining and I did no preparation. I get so confuse with clothes and jewellery. And trust me, my mom's taste is very bad. I don't like it even a bit." Said Navya making bad faces and pouting at last. Nandini giggled hearing her.

Yes, Cabir and Navya's engagement is fixed. Malhotras went to meet Navya's parents and they happily accepted Cabir and got ready for the alliance. They were ready to fix even marriage date but Cabir and Navya needed some time for themselves so they politely denied and elders also respected their decision thinking to get them engaged.

"Don't worry, Navya. I am there na. I will help you. I will make sure my best friend look stunning and gorgeous on her engagement. Dekh lena, Cabir bhai ke hosh udd jayenge." Said Nandini on which Navya blushed.

"Oh ho, someone is already blushing. Should I take a picture and send bhai?" Teased Nandini on which Navya whined.

"Bhabhi.." Nandini laughed.

"Okay okay. Jokes apart. We will go. But let me ask mumma if she needs my any help today. Okay?" Navya grinned hearing Nandini.

"Perfect. And bhabhi, we will enjoy alot. We will do your shopping too, okay? Wait, why don't we do dinner outside. An engagement treat for you from my side. Yes, that will be great. What's say?" Asked Navya getting excited. Nandini got nervous.

"Navya.. dinner? Umm.. it will be too late. Manik will come home along with papa & bhai by 6 to 6.30pm. Also, I need to help mumma with their snacks and then dinner preparation. I can not leave everything on mumma alone. She will get tired na." Said Nandini getting worried. Navya huffed.

"Offo bhabhi, don't worry about that. Maria is there to help mumma na? Also for one day, mumma can adjust and I am sure she will not say a word to you. And Manik bhai? I am sure he also won't have any problem. Just be relax and tell them about your plan." Said Navya looking at Nandini keenly. Nandini still look tensed.

"I will call Manik and ask him if I can-"

"Tell him, bhabhi. Don't ask." Said Navya calmly. Nandini looked at her startled.

"But Navya-"

"No bhabhi. You have to inform him about your plans. No asking. It's been so long. You have to leave your this habit. You're an independent woman. You can do whatever you feel like. You don't need to take permission from each and everyone for the every little things. You just have to inform them about it." Nandini kept quiet hearing Navya.

"What if they feel.. offended. What if they get upset?" Nandini let out her inner fears after few seconds. Navya smiled.

"They won't. They will respect your decision. And if in case of your safety they feel like denying you, they will do it. For your own good. Otherwise, they will have no problem if you take out a little time for yourself and enjoy your life freely." Said Navya. Nandini felt relaxed hearing her and nodded giving her smile.

"Okay. I will inform them. Let's have fun today." Winked Nandini and gave hifi to Navya who laughed with her.

Navya did all this deliberately. She knew Nandini never got freedom to roam around with her friends the way she wants. Her mother always put restrictions to everything. She had to ask for every little thing because if she wouldn't, her mother would throw harsh words to her which she never wished to hear. Since then, there is fear in her mind that whatever she does at home or outside of home, she should first ask her inlaws & Manik. She didn't want to upset them in any way. Also, she is so much pampered and loved by them that now she feared to make them angry. She feared if she had to hear harsh words again. She wasn't ready for that because she loved her inlaws even a bit more than her parents & brother. Navya, knew all this very well. And she want to remove all her fears from their roots which made home in her brain since many years. She is cleverly taking steps towards it hoping Nandini's positive response. And no doubt, she is succeeding.

________________________

"Hello Manik.." Nandini who called Manik chirped happily.

"Boliye Manik ki jaan. Someone seems very happy. Kyaa baat hai?" Asked Manik from other side. He was checking a file while talking with her. Nandini grinned.

"Manik! You know, today afternoon by 4, me and Navya are going out for their engagement shopping. And Navya is giving me dinner party in my favorite restaurant." Said Nandini getting excited. Manik smiled hearing her. He kept the file on table and threw his head back on chair with a satisfied look.

Like Navya, Manik also knew Nandini's fears. He also talked to Navya about it who assured him that she will look after it. And now he is feeling content. For the very first time, Nandini informed him about something rather than taking his permission. No, he didn't say she shouldn't take his suggestions or permission at all. She should. Even sometimes he will also need her permission, her suggestions. They would have to do many things with mutual understanding. But the matter should be that serious and important.

His thoughts broke when he heard Nandini's whine.

"Maniiiikkkk"

"Haan honey. Bolo naa."

"Kya bolu? You're not at all replying to anything. Are you even listening? Wait, you must be busy with your big dabba. Like seriously. Here I am blabbering all alone like mad and you.. Huh!" Said Nandini with puffed cheeks referring to his laptop. Manik laughed.

"Hahaha. No meri jaan. I was just... Achha leave it. You tell me, what plans you have made for shopping? Where are you both going?" Asked Manik and Nandini like a excited kid, started ranting everything to him. He was laughing hearing her. He was so so happy seeing her happy.

"Achha so itne sarei plans hai madam ke. Good to know but you know what, I am feeling sad." Said Manik making sad face. Nandini got alerted.

"Why Manik? What happened suddenly?" She asked. Manik rolled his tongue on his inner cheek.

"You will enjoy alone with Navya na. What about me? I will miss my honey so much." Said Manik faking sadness. Nandini shook her head at his drama.

"Haan right. Your honey is going out for a month, nai? Seriously Manik." Manik frowned hearing her.

"Ofcourse I am damn serious. Let alone few hours, I don't even feel like leaving you for a second. I wish I could be able to stick you to my body with fevicol. We wouldn't have to worry then. No missing in anything. Would have done everything together. Office, meetings, work, lunch, snacks, dinner, changing clothes, taking bath then slee-"

"Okay that's enough. Chiii Manik you are so shameless. Talking so dirty." Said Nandini cutting his rant in mid while blushing. Manik laughed.

"Arey! What's dirty in it? It's so common between husband wife. Haan it's different that we still didn't intimated completely, but hey! It's not like we won't do it ever. Kabhi na kabhi toh karna hi hai. Aaj nahi toh kal. Kal nahi toh parso. Parso nahi toh-"

"Maniiiiiiiiiiikkk stoppp ittt naaa." Nandini whined loudly digging her face in pillow. Manik laughed loudly.

"Don't blush so much or you know I will reach home in 10 minutes and you won't even get time till kal/parso." Teased Manik.

"You're so bad Manik. Such a shameless idiot." Snapped Nandini. Manik smirked.

"Ayeeee biwi! This is the reserved edition of Manik Malhotra only for Mrs. Manik Malhotra." Teased Manik. Nandini bit her lip and shouted before ending the call.

"You won't stop right? Byeeee. I am ending the call." Before Manik could say something, call was ended.

"Arey listen-"

He chuckled understanding her shyness.

"How much I desire to mark you mine, but not before making you strong enough to face your inner demons & ofcourse with your full consent, meri jaan." Said Manik while caressing her photo frame which was placed on his table and smiled to himself.
____________________

Ishaani was in kitchen and in a bit hurry. Ritesh came there.

"What's cooking, wifey? Ohh woww! Fried sweet corns, cheese potato balls and Manchurian noodles! Let me tast-" before Ritesh could touch, Ishani hits his hand who hissed and made faces.

( Fried Sweet Corns )

( Cheese potato balls )

( Manchurian Noodles )

"No ways. Don't even touch it. It's for betu. You're going to meet her, right? Take it and tell her you made for her specially. She loves it. And yes, take the bangles which I kept on table. Cabir's engagement will be coming. She would be able to wear it if it matches to her attire. She loves that type of bangles. She told me once but that time I...." Ishani stopped in a mid and her eyes went moist. She sniffed while Ritesh sighed.

"It's better we don't talk about it, Ishani. It will keep on hurting. Everyone." Said Ritesh on which Ishani agreed.

"Achha come on, give me fast. I am getting late. I didn't inform her I am coming. She will be surprised. And will be very happy to habe her food. After all, food is her bae!" Said Ritesh and both laughed remembering how Nandini used to say the same.

"Yeah yeah right. I am packing everything. Just give me five minutes." Saying this Ishani got busy with packing. Ritesh sighed looking at her.

Repentance is good. But at right time. Because karma is a bitch and time is the puppet of it's hand. It never stops for anyone. ANYONE.

Ishani packed everything neatly and handed it to Ritesh smiling softly.

"Take it carefully. Make her eat with your own hands. Don't tell I made it to anyone. Especially Manik. He.. he won't let her even touch it. But if you tell that you made it, no one will restrict and she.. she will eat more happily. We are not different. You're my other half. It doesn't matter you made it or me. It's ours. And do tell her that.. that.. you love her alot and miss her so much." Said Ishani while Ritesh nodded and hugged her. She sniffed in his embrace. He just patted her back.

Breaking the hug, he left from there giving Ishani a small smile. Ishani kept looking at the way he went and closed her eyes clutching her nuptial chain in her fist. Maa loves you, betu. She whispered and few tears rolled down her eyes.
_______________________

"Mummaa! You know, there will be no benefit of me doing yoga and exercises. You will make me baby elephant feeding this much food." Nandini complained cutely to Niyonika. They both were sitting in hall after completing their lunch and completing the chores. Niyonika slightly hits her head.

"Chal pagli. Ittusa khanese koi moti nahi banegi tu. Did you ever see how much you eat?" Nandini made haww face and nodded vigorously.

"I see how much you make me eat daily. Aap usey ittusa bolte ho? Mumma, you are unbelievable." Said Nandini whining. Niyonika chuckled and patted her head.

"No compromise allowed with food and health." Nandini pouted hearing her. Both chatted for sometime then suddenly Nandini yawned.

"Go bachha, take a short nap in your room before you leave. I will wake you up. You look sleepy. Jao." Said Niyonika caressing her face. Nandini looked at her sheepishly.

"Main aapki godi mei so jau?" Nandini asked with a such innocence that Niyonika couldn't wait for a second to reply positive. Nandini grinned and immediately lied on sofa keeping her head in Niyonika's lap. Niyonika started caressing her hairs lovingly. Nandini looked at her with puppy face. Niyonika chuckled knowing what she meant. She started humming her favorite lori.

Aa leke chalun tujhko
Ek aise desh mein..

Aa leke chalun tujhko
Ek aise desh mein..

Milti hain jahan khushiyan
Pariyon ke bhes mein..

Milti hain jahan khushiyan
Pariyon ke bhes mein..
Aa leke chalun tujhko..

Niyonika sung while patting her head. Before she could sing further, her sight went towards Nandini who was fast asleep by listening just few lines. Niyonika caressed her face lovingly before placing kiss on her forehead.

"So gaya mera baby. I wish may god bless you with each and every happiness in your life. You have endured enough pain. Now no more tears. Only smiles and happiness. Mumma loves you alot." Said Niyonika and sat there patting her head for some more time so that she wouldn't get disturb in sleep.
__________________

It was 6.30 pm in evening. Nandini left with Navya for a shopping at 4.30 as she had great sleep because of her mumma. Raj, Manik and Cabir were home and were sitting in hall enjoying their evening tea and snacks with Niyonika. Suddenly a doorbell rang. Manik went to open the door and was surprised seeing Ritesh.

"Papa.. what a pleasant surprise! Please come inside." Said Manik while giving him space to enter. Ritesh entered inside while everyone exchanged pleasantries. Cabir and Manik took blessings.

"How are you papa?" Asked Manik while taking a sit. Ritesh smiled.

"All good. What about you?" Asked Ritesh while his eyes roamed around the hall to spot his princess who didn't come to him. Manik watched his actions and spoke.

"We are fine too. Nandini isn't home, papa." Informed Manik. Ritesh's looked at him confused.

"Isn't home? Where's she?"

"Actually uncle, bhabhi and Navya went out for our engagement shopping. They will have dinner outside and then Navya will drop bhabhi home." Cabir informed him. Ritesh's face dropped. He looked at the bag he was holding and sighed. Manik observed his actions.

"What happened papa? Any problem? Should I ask Nandini to return back home?" Asked Manik. Ritesh gave him a small smile and nodded in no.

"Arey no, Manik. Let her enjoy. It's my fault actually I should have informed before coming. I just thought to surprise her. But, anyways." Said Ritesh covering up his disappointment of not meeting his daughter.

"It's ok Ritesh, no problem. Now that you havee come, we won't let you go without having dinner. Have dinner with us, meet Nandu and then go." Said Raj on which he politely denied.

"Next time Raj. Today, Ishani must be waiting at home. She is alone. Also, she would get upset knowing-" he stopped in mid realising what he was saying. Everybody looked at him confused while he laughed a bit and covered up.

"I.. I mean.. she would get upset knowing she has to dine alone. So I have to leave." Niyonika served him tea along with some snacks. Manik wasn't satisfied with the answer but he let it go. After spending some time with Malhotras, Ritesh stood up to leave.

"Okay, Raj. Now I will take your leave. Bye Manik, Cabir. Take care. Namaste bhabhi ji." Said Ritesh and turned to leave but stopped and moved towards Niyonika.

"Ah bhabhi ji, actually I made some favorite snacks of princess. But she's not here. You guys please have it in dinner but keep it a little for her. Whenever she reach home, ask her to taste a bit and do inform me how was it. Also, these bangles, I brought for her when I went out of town for some office work. Do give her. It's gift from me." Said Ritesh handling Niyonika the bag of food items & bangles sent by Ishani. Niyonika smiled.

"Sure bhaisaab. I will give it." Assured Niyonika. Ritesh nodded giving a small smile and left. Manik looked at the bag quietly and then at the way Ritesh went. He sighed and left towards his room.

_____________________

"Arey Ritesh, you came? Wait lemme bring water." Saying this Ishani went in the kitchen running while Ritesh sat on the couch throwing his head back. Ishani came with a water and gave him. He had it silently.

"How's Nandu? Is she doing well? Did you make her eat everything? Did she like it? What about bangles? Did she like? Did anyone-"

"Ishani stop." Ritesh said a bit loudly making her quiet. She looked at him questioning. He sighed.

"Princess wasn't home. She went out with Navya for shopping and also for dinner. I gave everything to Niyonika bhabhi and came back." Ishani's face paled hearing him and her heart broke into pieces.

She made everything with her own hands, with so much excitement. Everything went in vain.

"I actually deserve this." Saying this tears fell from her eyes while she hurriedly ran towards her room. Ritesh closed his eyes in pain.

____________________

"Mummma! I am back." Shouted Nandini looking at Niyonika who was in hall. Raj and Cabir was in their study while Manik was in the room. Niyonika smiled looking at her.

"Aa gayi Nandu. Come, sit. Let me bring water for you." Said Niyonika and gave her water. Nandini drank it hurriedly. Niyonika immediately rubbed her back widening her eyes.

"Aaram se bachha." Nandini nodded giving sheepish smile.

"You know mumma, we had so much fun. We did lots if shopping and had dinner in our favorite restaurant." Said Nandini happily. Niyonika cupped her face.

"You enjoyed na?"

"Yes. Veryyyy much."

"That's what matters. Achha now fiest freshen up. Your papa came to our home before sometime. He gave some of your favorite food items which he prepared for you. He asked you to have it a bit and inform how was it. Also, he brought bangles for you as a gift." Nandini was surprised hearing Niyonika.

"What? Papa came? When? Why didn't he inform me first? I wouldn't have gone out today." Said Nandini getting sad. Niyonika patted her back.

"He wanted to surprise you, baby. It's ok. Happens. But now, come on. Go, get freshen up and have the food he brought. I know you must be full but still. Have a little. Unhone itne pyaar se banaya hai tumhare liye. He will feel good. We also had it. It was really good." Said Niyonika on which Nandini nodded and went towards the room.

Soon she came out of room changing her clothes while Manik joined her too. Niyonika served her the items. They sat there talking about engagement preparations while Nandini, after having taste of everything, felt emotional. She gulped the lump formed in her throat and finished everything that Niyonika served. She knows the taste better.

_____________________

Later at night, Nandini was lying in Manik's arms while he was caressing her hairs. He looked at her and found out she is in some thoughts.

"What are you thinking, jaan?" Nandini looked at Manik and answered cuddling into him more.

"I have taken a decision, Manik. Will you support me in it?" Asked Nandini on which Manik frowned. He broke the hug and made her look at him.

"Is it even a question to ask. I am always with you in your every decision. But what is it about? Everything alright?" Asked Manik on which Nandini looked at Manik for a few seconds before answering.

"I have decided to forgive Maa."

Hearing her, Manik's grip loosened on her hand. He was taken a back. His expressions changed from worried to furious while Nandini kept looking at him silently.

Screen freezes.

_________________

Date Of Publishing - 9th August 2021.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

281K 14.9K 31
#On NO 1 in short stories 28/may/2017 & 1/march 2018 #On no 2 in short story on 13/may/2017# on no 3 in short stories on 9/may/2017 What do you do w...
305K 20.9K 54
The journey of a careless play boy and fragile doll. Love is not his cup of coffee but for her husband is everything in her life. Both of them happy...
1.1M 108K 65
****Can be read as a general fiction. If you want an arrange marriage tale with humor, emotions and love, hop in right away**** Love is supposed to b...
22.2K 2.8K 32
16/12/2022- Ongoing "Didn't I told you to not let him touch you, then why did he? Answer me?" "I am not answerable to you?" "Did you just roll your e...