The Green Guardian

Por CroodsGirl

|2021 VERSION| |23X FEATURED · 2X SPOLIGHT STORY · SHORTLISTED FOR THE SEASONAL CONTESTS!| Mateo Brook, a you... Mais

Author's Note (Important Message at the End)
Character Aesthetics
A Note to Judges and Reviewers about Mateo (Also Important!)
Part 1: Euphorbia, the Forest Spirit (Evie)
Chapter 1: The Fairy and the Basilisk
Chapter 2: Unbalanced Dimension
Chapter 3: Portal to Another World
Chapter 4: Dysfunctional Drama
Chapter 5: The Pebble Masters
Chapter 6: Vitality of the Forest
Chapter 7: Ranger Anthony
Chapter 8: Emergency!
Chapter 9: A Rescue Worth Dying For
Chapter 10: Light in the Darkness
Chapter 11: The Witch Doctor
Chapter 12: Secret of the Forest
Chapter 13: The Briefing
Chapter 14: King Benjamin
Chapter 15: Ambush!
Chapter 16: Crows' Den
Chapter 17: The Green Guardian
Part 2: Thebes (Mateo)
Bonus Chapter: Expectations
Chapter 18: Night of the Second Moon
Chapter 19: One with Nature
Chapter 20: Thebes of Seranet
Chapter 21: Fight for Mateo
Chapter 22: Whispers of the Fae
Chapter 23: Family Ties
Chapter 24: Euphorbia's Successor
Chapter 25: Thebes Strikes Back
Chapter 26: Lore of the Green Guardian
Chapter 27 - Mission: Rescue Mateo!
Chapter 28: Heart of Darkness
Part 3: Training Days (Mateo and Evie)
Bonus Chapter 2: In the Beginning
Chapter 29: Three Boops on the Nose
Chapter 30: It's Not Time to Die
Chapter 31: Sacrifice
Chapter 32: Petrified
Chapter 33: Fororli
Chapter 34: Elushia Amisha
Chapter 35: The Truth About Sam
Chapter 36: The Fae Prince
Chapter 37: Tears of Hope
Chapter 38: The Mascot of the Basilisk
Chapter 39: The Return of Ben
Chapter 40: Pinta's First Ranger
Part 4: The Guardian's Tree (Mateo and Evie)
Bonus Chapter 3: Pinta Park Ranger
Chapter 41: Redemption
Chapter 42: Cold Blood
Chapter 43: The Bittersweet
Chapter 44: "Wrapped Up in Light"
Chapter 45: Euphorbia's Legacy
Chapter 46: But isn't that selfishness?
Chapter 47: "Tale As Old As Time"
Chapter 48: Warrior Princess
Chapter 49: The Final Battle (Part 1)
Chapter 49: The Final Battle (Part 2)
Epilogue: Miracle of Life
Final Author's Note
Accolades/Review (s)
Accolades Cont.
Accolades Cont. (2)
Accolades Cont. (3)
Accolades Cont. (4)
Accolades Cont. (5) (Celebrating 100 Wins!)
Accolades Cont. (6)

Chapter 50: Love Conquers All

265 8 10
Por CroodsGirl

Three months later

        Maria did not think that Mateo was ready for the wedding, but him being him, he was determined. She could tell that he was worried about his health, so he wanted the wedding to happen merely a month after he woke up from his coma. He was better than he was when the paramedics airlifted him out of the Paperblank Forest, but he was still incredibly weak and tired.

Maria stared at her wedding gown in her small dressing room. The white lights of her mirror shimmered on her five-month pregnant belly (equivalent to seven months in human pregnancies). Maria was almost as big as a house. Isabella kicked like crazy. She was a very active baby.

Maria's cape-like, silky dress reached for the bottoms of her heels. She had curled her black hair to make it look pretty. She flipped the lacy veil off her face and peered down at the flower patterns on the hem of her dress.

Ms. Brook approached her from behind. "Oh, Maria, you look beautiful," she said.

Maria continued to stare at herself in the mirror. "I don't think Mateo's ready," she admitted. Deep down, she had a feeling he wasn't going to be alive for much longer. The doctors already told her and Ms. Brook that his case of tuberculosis was severe–one of the worst they had ever seen. Their words haunted Maria on her wedding day.

Ms. Brook picked up her dress. She tossed some dust off it. "That's why it's only a small gathering," she said. "Mateo will be waiting for you in his wheelchair with the priest. Dr. Marshal is also here. He has an ambulance on standby, just in case. However, I have a surprise for my son."

"A surprise?" Maria turned off her mirror's lights and faced Ms. Brook. "What is it?"

Ms. Brook gestured for her to lean in close. She whispered into the young woman's ear.

***

Evie, her family, the priest, and Dr. Marshal were currently the only guests at the wedding. In total, there were merely ten participants. Maria had no bridesmaids. Her friends did not want to push the guest number over ten. Mateo could not handle that.

Evie's backyard was decorative that cool November morning. Morning hours were better for Mateo. Pink, white, and blue balloons were tied to a few chairs. A few more were weighted down on the small buffet table with the wedding cake. Three round tables sat within eye range of the outdoor fireplace.

Colorful leaves wafted to the ground and landed on the cobblestone path where Maria just appeared. She held a bouquet of white and red roses in her hands and stared at Mateo who, just like Ms. Brook said, waited in his wheelchair for her in front of the fireplace. Even from a distance, Maria could tell he was tired. His head dangled over his black tuxedo. He still could not breathe on his own, so he wore a nasal cannula.

The dying man forced himself to look at Maria. He pushed a bundle of negative thoughts to the back of his head and smiled feebly at her.

The priest, a kind, old man, helped him to his feet. He kept Mateo steady by gripping his upper left arm. His right shoulder was still broken and in a sling.

Mateo's legs wobbled under him, but he locked his knees. He refused to let his illness ruin the ceremony. He was strong.

Since Maria did not have a parent to walk her down the aisle, Ms. Brook did the honors. She smiled friendlily at her and whispered, "It's going to be okay." With that, she took Maria up to Mateo.

The two youths stared deeply into each other's eyes. Both froze when they felt the strong connection between them. It told them that they were meant for each other.

"You look beautiful, Maria," Mateo softly said.

She blushed. "And you look quite handsome." She and Mateo giggled.

Mateo, though, suddenly stumbled on his feet. His head spun.

The priest caught him before he could fall.

Ms. Brook helped her son back into his wheelchair. She double-checked the cannula's prongs to make sure they were still nice and snug in his nostrils.

Evie watched the whole thing with a concerned look on her face. "He's not going to make it to his next birthday," she mumbled under her breath. There was no way. The tuberculosis was just too much for him to handle. It was Mateo's own cancer.

He met Maria's deep brown eyes again. "I'm sorry, Maria," he apologized.

She got down on his level and rested her palm on his thigh. "No, don't be," she said. She glanced at the priest. "Mr. Priest, don't be too long."

"I wasn't planning on it. I know he's tired," he said with a small smile. He cleared his throat and raised his voice. "Today, we are celebrating the love between these two young adults: Anthony Mateo Brook and Maria González." He offered the couple a small, silky pillow. On it were the wedding rings–sparkly, silver bands that shimmered under the autumn sunshine. "Mateo, do you take Maria to be your lawfully wedded wife, to be there for her in sickness and in health, and to live in prosperity?"

"I do," Mateo replied. Lifting his left hand, he took one of the rings off the pillow. He slipped it onto Maria's ring finger. Mateo tightly clutched her hand.

Behind him, Ms. Brook blew her nose into a tissue. She dabbed the sides of her eyes.

The priest next glanced at Maria. "Maria, do you take Mateo to be your lawfully wedded husband, to be there for him in sickness and in health, and to live in prosperity?"

Maria did not look at him. Continuing to stare lovingly at Mateo, she took the second ring off the pillow. "I do. I will never leave his side, not even during this difficult time of his life." She put the ring over Mateo's own ring finger. She then set her flowers down on his lap.

The priest's smile grew. It was time for the best part. "I now declare you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride."

Mateo pushed his dry lips into Maria's. She did not mind the cracks. The kiss was simple, but it felt wonderful. She remembered all the good memories she and Mateo shared during childhood.

Evie and her family clapped and grinned at one another.

Mateo removed his lips from Maria's. He bent over and kissed her baby bump. He then placed his ear on it. "Oh!" he said when he felt a small kick. "She's kicking!"

"She's a very active baby for sure," Maria said.

Mateo stayed on her belly for so long that he started to doze off.

Ms. Brook lugged him back into his wheelchair. The Guardian's Ring on his right ring finger flickered a few times. Ms. Brook gently picked up his hand and examined it. "The ring wants to transform him, but..."

"... he's just so weak," Maria finished.

"Just give it a little more time," the priest explained. "He'll be a fairy before y'all know it."

***

The wedding's reception was laid back, too. No music played. The voices of the family members replaced it. Mateo, Maria, Ms. Brook, and Evie sat together at the table closest to the fireplace. Evie's parents, the priest, Embrose, and Dr. Marshal chose the one further from it. Everybody made sure they were quiet around Mateo.

Maria brought the red velvet wedding cake to her and Mateo's table. Vanilla icing covered each of the three layers. She helped him cut it, and then she put a chunk of it on his china plate.

The others hustled over so they could watch. They kept their distance from Maria and Mateo.

Maria helped him eat his cake because his hand was shaky. She only gave him small bites. "Chew slowly, Mateo," she said.

He did. The cake's sweet taste melted on his tongue like butter. He felt like he had just consumed magic. "That's good, Maria," he admitted.

Somebody tapped his shoulder–Ms. Brook. She handed him a heavy, circular-shaped gift. Hearts decorated the white wrapping paper. "This is a gift from me, sweet cakes," she said. "It's meant to celebrate both you and your baby."

"Mamá, you didn't have to." Mateo blushed a little.

"Yes, I did," she argued. "This is a special moment for you, my son." She plopped down in an empty chair next to his left arm.

All eyes on him now, Mateo opened the gift. He pulled off the white bow and playfully stuck it on Maria's nose.

She could not help but chuckle.

Mateo tossed the wrapping paper on top of the tablecloth. He checked what he held in his hand, and tears appeared in his eyes. "Oh, Mamá."

The cement stepping stone was gray with an engraving of a footprint on it. It looked like one that someone would find on a beach.

Ms. Brook pointed at the words above and below it. "Read what it says," she told her son.

Sniffing, Mateo inhaled deeply. He coughed a little, but he managed to read the message out loud: "'Footprints. During your times of trial and suffering, when you only saw one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.'"

"Aw!" the whole group said at the same time.

"Thank you, Mamá," Mateo cried. He wrapped his good arm around her and rested his head on her shoulder.

She patted his messy black hair. "No problem, Mateo Waeo. I love you."

"I love you, too." Mateo took his head off her shoulder and pecked her brow.

"There is one more surprise I have for you," she explained. She nodded at Evie, Charlotte, Keegan, and Embrose.

They nodded back. Together, they stood from the table and slipped into Evie's house.

Mateo started to doze off again. His eyes drooped. While he, Maria, and Ms. Brook waited for Evie's side of the family, Dr. Marshal did a quick examination. He kneeled to Mateo and opened his doctor's bag.

Dr. Marshal listened to his heart and lungs with his stethoscope. He was clearly worried. Mateo's lungs sounded horrible. How on Earth could he breathe with so much congestion?

Ms. Brook got up from her chair. She stood behind Mateo and rested her hands on his broad shoulders. "Dr. Marshal, does he need to go to the hospital again?" she nervously asked.

Dr. Marshal hid his fear behind a small smile. "I don't think so. He just needs to go home and rest. I'll stop by tomorrow morning to check on him."

Ms. Brook opened her mouth to speak, but she stopped herself when she saw Evie, her parents, and Embrose come back outside with Grandma Gilbert. Charlotte and Keegan led her over to Mateo.

The old woman looked a bit bewildered.

Maria shook Mateo's good shoulder. "Mateo," she said in a soft voice.

He opened his eyes but only briefly. He started to close them again.

"Mateo!" Maria shook his shoulder a bit harder that time. "I know you're tired, but there's someone we want you to see."

Mateo said not a word. Instead, he peered into Maria's eyes.

Charlotte and Keegan sat Grandma Gilbert down in the chair where Ms. Brook was earlier.

Mateo turned his head to the left. "Grandma Autumn," he whispered. His voice sounded much weaker than it did during the wedding vows. Nevertheless, his grandmother was next to him. Keegan did not take her from him that time. He did not chuck him to the ground and call him a "piece of scum." But... How could Mateo get his grandmother to remember him? It had been six years since he saw her.

Charlotte put Autumn's hand on top of his. "Mom, this is your grandson."

"Mateo," said Keegan.

"Ma... te... o?" Autumn shakily asked.

"Abuela, please," Mateo begged. "I haven't seen you since I left for the Ranger School."

She continued to stare blankly at him.

Evie came to the rescue. "He's the second Pebble Master," she explained. "He's the new Green Guardian."

"Guardian?" Autumn seemed to remember spending her childhood with a fairy known as the "Green Guardian". She seemed to remember giving a mysterious pebble to somebody a long time ago. She then recalled that her first daughter had a son–a prince who was born from magic and love. That son's name was–

"Anthony?" inquired the old woman.

Mateo clutched his grandmother's hand. "Yes, I'm Anthony. Anthony Mateo Brook."

"Anthony?" she said again. Autumn remembered the joy she felt when she held her grandson for the first time. She knew he was special and one of the Pebble Masters. She clutched his cheeks with her wrinkled hands. "Look at you," she whimpered. "You've grown up so much. My little Anthony."

Mateo pulled her into a tight hug. "You remember me, abuela." The thought of him hugging his grandmother after six years hit him hard.

A sudden but strong voice interrupted the family reunion: "What's all this boo-hooing about?" An older man in his early seventies has just opened up the gate to Evie's backyard. He wore khaki pants and a blue, collared shirt with a pair of leather shoes. His white and gray hair sported a vaguely familiar style. Two tufts of his hair dangled in front of his ears.

The man came within reach of the table. He took a huge bite from a quesadilla he held in his hand. "Sorry to intrude," he apologized, "but you're the Brook family, right?"

"How did you find us?" Charlotte angrily asked. "This is a private event, sir."

"I asked the neighbors," he explained, "and I'm looking for somebody named Chelsi Autumn Brook."

At the sound of her full name, Autumn perked up. She released Mateo and carefully studied the man.

He felt like a stranger to the family, but at the same time, there was something familiar about him.

Embrose asked the question: "Who are you?"

"Oh, sorry." The man finished his lunch. He picked up a napkin from the table and wiped his mouth. Afterward, he tossed it over his shoulder. The man grasped Autumn's and gave it a small squeeze. His blue eyes bounced between each family member. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a small pebble. The man showed it to the family, and then he set it down in Autumn's palm. He curled her aging fingers over it. She and he met eyes.

For a long time, they were silent. Then finally, the man spoke. "I'm Samuel, but you can call me Sam. You're my sister, Autumn."

End of Part 4

Word Count So Far: 132,000

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

1K 95 25
|FEATURED · BOOK ONE OF THE MILO AND MAISIE NOVELETTES| When Maisie and Feya's friendship is tossed into the danger zone, they must work together to...
727 79 30
There was a princess Living carefree She wanted the world she wanted everything Diamonds and pearls Emeralds and gold She bathed in the riches only s...
96K 3.5K 46
I took a breath and quickly wiped a stray tear from my eye, "I'm tired of living in their shadows, waiting for them to finally realize that I still e...
76.1K 7.5K 40
Commoner Giovanna teams up with nobleman Matteo to save a friend from an arranged marriage, but they stumble into a sinister plot that could have vic...