The Exiled Gem

By Maplebell

Exiled from her own land - to be executed if she ever returns, Princess Alexandra finds herself turning a spy... More

A Princess' World
The Great Arrival
Mistakes Make Changes
The Exiled Gem
Greetings of Exile
The Shelter for Abandoned Kids and Orphans
The Independence Day March
Two Crossroads
The Master and the Stalker
Two Types of Examiners
Sweet Vengeance
Two Tales of Change
The Second Year's Miracle
The Tournament Begins
Dueling A Buffalo
The Matches in the Thunderstorm
Where the Thoughts Go
Black Daggers
Idgardian Laws: A Neutral Study
Second Year Test
Wind in the Basement
Never Incur A Debt
Master George's Judgement
Mabel in a Mouse-trap
The Elf's Tale
The Spider and The Fly
Traitor's Correspondence
Sweet Poison
Not a Bit of Conceit
The Second Pair
Captain Exclusive
The Merciless Pang
A Spy's World
Camphor in the Library
The Passing Out Ceremony
Jade and the Pendant
Queenly Queen Olivia
He Deserves Better
Infirmary Visits
One Assassin Down
Letter of Apology
The Bloodless Method
Extreme Need of a Holiday
Sister Heiress
An Egregious Discovery
A Vow of Maidenhood
Group Trial
Fiery-Flaring Pride
Paradise Courting Club
Watson's Shortcuts
An Uninvited Pursuit
Mary and Mark
Spies Catch a Spy
A Heroic Fall
Enormous Mistake
Change of Leader
Let's Reunite
Concern for Diana
A Clash and A Confession
Embracing the Past
Three Cape Ladies Club
Lady Derk of Doveland
The No-Entry Room
Irreparable Breaks
Attractions
Rise in Correspondence
Hollow Armors
New Head of Espionage
Mediocre Eights
Poisonous Pearls
Can't Clap with a Single Hand
The House of Metanoia
Desperate Changes
The Messy Head Business
Triangular Plot
Broach of Merit
Feelings and Fears
Janus-Faced Fannel
Never Tempt Fate
The Worst Reunion
Single-Handed Carnage
An Effortless Revenge
A Frustrating Loss
Broken Promises
Men Will Be Men
Mabel Leaves for Good
Meetings and Trauma
That Lady with Golden Eyes
Unhurried Tutor
Relentless Improvement
Graying Hair and Amber Eyes
The Sibling Rivalry
The Second Gem
A/N
Ophelia

Other Side of the Tale

166 18 6
By Maplebell

They walked around for about a minute, none of them talking. Alexandra hoped none of them dropped anything. And even if they did, she hoped they at least didn't bother to pick it up.

'Shall we begin?' Asked a man's voice. It was high-pitched, and a little thin, watery, 'Or maybe-'

'We shall begin,' a harsher, deeper voice replied.

'Alright, Sir. Now - as you know, our situations isn't too good. Famines are raging all over the country- due to pest attacks- as well as... ah, army actions by-' The watery-voiced man faltered.

'By? By whom? Speak clearly, Minister!' Boomed the harsher voice.

'By your forces, Sir! By Ethorians! The army entered into Doveland - forcefully, I might add, and destroyed the crops - set fire to livestock! The poor animals - and this is the result! Sir, only because of our alliance, we cannot tell the masses - the real reason behind this famine. Or you would have seen the Dovish march into your territories and return the favor. But now, we have to cook up tales of curses and what-nots!' Watery-voiced replied.

'Do you let your Ministers do all the talking, Sir?' Asked the gruff-voiced, turning to the third man.

'As far as he is correct, the Minister speaks, Diplomat. When he goes incorrect, I shall intervene.' Austin's reserved, unimpressed voice replied.

'Hmph!' Said Gruff-voiced, 'So you agree this is Ethoris' fault? I didn't expect such crudeness, Sir. At least not from you.'

'Neither did we expect the Ethorian army to attack our crops!' Austin replied, now agitated, 'Look down, Diplomat, what do you see? This is what Ethoris has reduced us to. And now, you are refusing to help? Is that what the terms of our alliance dictated?'

Alexandra had removed her hands from her back and mouth. She lay down, still as a mouse, drinking in their talks. So this was an Ethorian Diplomat who had come to Doveland to discuss the terms of Alliance. And all in all, the famine could be attributed to Ethoris, who was also playing dirty: first it had pushed its ally into famine. The ally didn't dare tell its citizens that the real reason had been another country's army, because then their army could possibly shift its loyalty, side with the commoners and rebel- resulting in the fall of the Dovish Monarchy. On top of everything, Ethoris had even refused to help the nation.

'We allowed the Ethorian troops enter,' Watery-voiced said, 'because we thought it would be a friendly engagement. Little did we know - that those barbarians would leave us plunged into famine!'

'Are you calling Ethorian troops - barbarians, Minister?' Gruff-voiced replied,

'Of course we are! These are the ways of barbarians. To enter into a country stealthily and to destroy its hard work.' Austin replied, 'Look, Diplomat - do not force Doveland to switch its sides!'

'Switch sides?!' Asked the diplomat, 'May I ask whom you plan to join, King Austin?'

'I get what you are trying to convey, Diplomat. You want to say we aren't in the position to be allies with anybody?' Austin replied, 'I agree.' He then said, 'But there are many countries that accept vassals. We shall prefer being Vedessa's vassals, than your slavish allies!'

Vedessa.

And Vassals.

Alexandra remembered of her diary - that bunch of parchment she had helplessly left behind. And in that she had sworn that Austin, Rose and Olivia would be her vassals. It was a foolish thing to vow, but it had been done. If she replaced herself with Vedessa, and took the oath as Austin, Rose and Olivia would be Vedessa's vassals ... the path of it seemed clear. Olivia already was one. Austin planned of it, and Rose came under Austin, as a citizen. 

But the problem was, how could she replace herself with Vedessa - how could Vedessa's vassals be her vassals? Unless...

Unless she became, the Queen of Vedessa.

The mere thought made her start upwards - and hit her head on the hard wood above. She melted back down, her mind racing. She had never considered becoming a queen, not when she was a princess, not afterwards. Not even when she had started thinking of a king more than she ought to. But the prospect did not seem as bad now. In her younger days, she had had a very biased view of queens - that they were powerless and brainless. The more she had seen of the world, the more she had realized how they were a lot more. Especially, if it meant she could continue being a spy, queenship was a piece of cake. Alexandra was very sure Liam would make it a piece of cake.

And there was the Heart's most innocent trait - it imagined the tree's appearance even before it had sown the seed.

But Vedessa.

That one word seemed to hit a raw spot, a nerve, of the Ethorian Diplomat. He looked at Austin, like he couldn't believe the man had dared to bring up that topic. However, he had done his job doing it.

The Diplomat lost his aggressive tone.

'You got me wrong, Sir,' he began. 'I just implied, how it would be an unthinkable thing to change sides right now - when we've had friendly relations for the past ten years.'

'Then prove your relations, Diplomat, prove your friendship. Give us the required help- because those weren't empty words I just spoke- we have been pondering upon this since long. Akwanda has already switched sides. Do not force us to do the same,'

'Certainly not,' the Diplomat said, bowing. 'Certainly not, Sir.'

'And the help must be what is asked for.'

'We shall look into those, Si-'

'And the looking into matters must be done within forty eight hours.'

'We shall try, Si-'

'And trying shall not be entertained, Diplomat.' Austin finished, 'If that is clear, you may leave.'

'As you wish- as you wish, Sir.' And the diplomat's shoes travelled the length of the carpet and stopped at the door, somebody pulled it open from outside for him. He left.

'Those were harsh words, My Lord,' said the Minister.

'Harsh, needed words, Minister.' Austin replied, 'I wish to be left alone.'

A little whispering, so low that even Alexandra couldn't catch- then, another pair of shoes left. What had they even wanted the books for?! What had Alexandra cracked her bone for? For just a décor of stacked books that nobody even touched?

Somehow, that useless realization made Alexandra's back pain worse. Like the spot was now offended that it had been cracked for no reason at all.

Austin walked forward and sat down on the settee... One look down - and he'd come nose-to-nose with Alexandra. She inched further away.

'I'm sorry, Alexandra.' Austin said.

Alexandra's eyes grew wide, she put a hand to her mouth as a tremor passed through her- he had seen her?! And even if he had- he'd recognized her too?!

Even if he had recognized her, why was Austin sitting on the lounge and not talking to her? Alexandra stayed still for two minutes. Then she got suspicious.

She slowly moved forward, inch by inch, and stuck her head out of the settee's side - so that she got a side view of her brother. He had his face cupped into his palms, and as he shook his head, with a jolt, Alexandra realized that Austin was speaking to himself.

'I'm sorry,' he continued, as Alexandra crawled back in, lying on her back, holding her breath, 'I had no choice, Sister...' his voice broke off, dipping sorrowfully.

'Rose is so much better- luckier,' He continued. 'She got away from this mess. She can get away. She can freely support you - I wish I could have done the same. Your memories were all we were left with - and I went ahead to malign them as well. But...' He stopped again. Alexandra felt helpless and mad at herself. For not trying to understand Austin- for always believing that the only sister he cared about was Rose. How foolish she had been, to think that love was only where it was shown. Where it was portrayed through gestures and words. Where it was expressed. She hadn't realized that such expressions could be untrue. That such expressions could be made up. And that, sometimes, love was where people least expected it to be.

She was mad at herself for never realizing that there had been more love for her in Doveland than she had estimated. For always looking at it with hatred and unconcern. And had she not come here, on this posting - she wouldn't even have realized that.

Sometimes, embracing the past was important, because it removed the earlier misunderstandings, resentments and notions, from a person's heart. And unless the Old was removed, how could the New replace it?

'I know you wouldn't have bothered.' Austin continued, 'You wouldn't have bothered what people thought about you- you never did. I hope - I hope you're happy, Alexandra- wherever you are. Because- after all this- you deserve to be happy, Sister. And you certainly don't deserve a brother like- me.'

Alexandra whole-heartedly agreed with Rose. Austin was not a bit evil. On the other hand, if Alexandra ever got the chance, she would make up with him. Those were the ways of the world. When Alexandra had heard just one part of the tale, she had wanted to strangle and murder Austin. But when she heard his side of it- she wanted to make up. To forgive. Perhaps that was the reason why ignorance was bliss. 

And was she going to fulfill the vow now? No. But had she fulfilled any part of it? No. That had all happened on its own accord, and she had only facilitated it. Alexandra hardly knew what was happening with her life. But seeing how she had never realized that Austin did care for her, made her feel that she was just bad at finding people's affection. Her lovestruck heart hoped that in a similar manner, she had failed to see Liam's admiration too.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

597 41 18
Edit: THIS IS ONE OF MY OLDER BOOKS SO IT'S MOST LIKELY GOING TO HAVE TERRIBLE GRAMMER... JUST WARNING YOU 😂 Alexandra Campbell, or as she's known a...
248 58 13
There was a major war that happened and now the government is trying a new experiment on the city. The main character, Alex, and her best friends who...
1.2K 144 42
At a certain juncture of time in the Middle Ages. A tyrannical king ruled his kingdom with an iron fist. His every whim was law, and his subjects liv...
463 23 15
Lindsay is a high school girl. Her and her best friend, Lizzie, are very close. They've known each other since they were little. When Lindsay's paren...