All American: Winter Break

By Katherine_Lindsay

Book Two: All American: Winter Break The story continues from the last book, All American Volume One: Senior... More

Chapter One: A Dream Within A Dream
Chapter Two: It Was All Just A Dream
Chapter Three: R.I.C.E
Chapter Four: Life's Too Short To Hold a Grudge
Chapter Five: Coming Home
Chapter Six: Las Vegas Nights
Chapter Eight: An Apology Worth a Thousand Words
Chapter Nine: Slow and Steady Win's The Race
Chapter Ten: Banana Pancakes
Chapter Eleven: Date Nights
Chapter Twelve: Chocolate Covered Strawberries and Champagne Kisses
Chapter Thirteen: Game Night and Buried Memories
Chapter Fourteen: Under the Light of a Billion Stars
Chapter Fifteen: 'Twas the Night Before a Charity Event
Chapter Sixteen: Jingle Ball (Part One)
Chapter Seventeen: Jingle Ball (Part Two)
Chapter Eighteen: Jingle Ball (Part Three)
Chapter Nineteen: The Gift that Keeps on Giving
Chapter Twenty: A Christmas Dinner (Part One)
Chapter Twenty One: A Christmas Dinner (Part Two)
Chapter Twenty Two: A Christmas Dinner (Part Three)
Chapter Twenty Three: Aloha Hawaii
Chapter Twenty Four: Cotton Candy and Pineapple Skies (Part One)
Chapter Twenty Five: Operation Slip N Slide (Part One)
Chapter Twenty Six: Operation Slip N Slide (Part Two)
Chapter Twenty Seven: Two Can Play That Game (Part One)
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Two Can Play That Game (Part Two)
Chapter Twenty Nine: Twas' The Date Before Christmas (Part One)
Chapter Thirty: Twas' The Date Before Christmas (Part Two)
Chapter Thirty-One: Till Death Do Us Part (Part One)
Chapter Thirty-Two: Till Death Do Us Part (Part Two)
Chapter Thirty-Three: Till Death Do Us Part (Part Three)
Chapter Thirty-Four: Till Death Do Us Part (Part Four)
Chapter Thirty-Five: Room 212
Chapter Thirty-Six: First Time (Part One)
Chapter Thirty-Seven: First Time (Part Two)
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Best Part
Chapter Thirty-Nine: All-American (Part One)
Chapter Forty: All-American (Part Two)
Chapter Forty-One: "It's Not a Goodbye...It's a See You Later," (Part One)
Chapter Forty-Two: "It's Not a Goodbye...It's a See You Later," (Part Two)
Epilogue: Six Feet Under
Thank You For Reading!

Chapter Seven: Jealousy, Jealousy

998 18 13
By Katherine_Lindsay

The party was in full swing, while the house had been packed filled to the brim. A sea of familiar and unfamiliar faces crowded every inch of the home. Bumping shoulder to shoulder colliding against one another to squeeze through. Although the temperature outside had been in the upper 50's, inside had felt quite the opposite. A sauna that was heating up, and with every minute that passed, it had only gotten worse. A humid and sticky residue lingered in the air, while the sweat and alcohol droplets fell to the floor. Leaving an intoxicating smell from the liquor that seeped from the wooden floorboards below.

The crowd had gotten rowdier by the minute, as the alcohol, was being consumed at a rapid pace. Leaving tension to fill the air, and a few close calls in fights breaking out in the midst of it. It only ever escalated to a few pushes and shoves but before someone could throw a punch the situation was stopped immediately. It was to be expected since JJ had invited all of Los Angeles to the party. With unlimited amounts of alcohol at their disposal, and their egos bruised, it was bound that there would be built-up tension.

A group of boys shouting off into the distance took her out of the bubble she'd been in, tapping her fingernails against the marble island to calm her nerves. With the other, she held a beverage that had been mixed with different liquors. Pungent to the taste but it was the only way she could think of at that moment to relax. The heaviness she'd felt in her shoulders hadn't helped and everywhere she turned she would scan the room until she fell on a familiar set of eyes.

Layla gripped her cup tighter taking a sip of her drink watching Olivia through the dense sea of people that stood in between them, dancing with Kia and having a good time. Layla let out a long and exhausted sigh, clenching her jaw tightly she looked down to the island trying to think of anything else. It had been a couple of weeks since their falling out and it seemed as if she couldn't escape a night away without seeing Olivia. Even as much as she tried to not look for her at school, or at the party, her eyes seemed to almost always immediately land on them.

Her heart had still felt heavy from their last encounter but it didn't help to see that Olivia had been thriving without her. Happier, even which stung Layla more to think about. And as much as she wanted to look away from Olivia, she couldn't, causing the ache in her heart to become more prominent. Pushing her lips together to form a thin line, she was taken out of her thoughts the second a refrigerator door slammed. Turning to meet Jordan's eyes who made his way over to her. Cracking open his water bottle, he took a sip. His smile faded noticing the tense look in her expression.

"Hey Layla, you okay?". "I'm fine," she softly spoke. Looking up to meet his eyes, he could feel the weight in her gaze. Smacking his lips together he lowered his head, knowing there'd been more to the story.

The conversation fell short when he watched her eyes turn towards the dance floor where Kia, Simone, and Olivia had been dancing. Layla crossed her arms letting out a sigh before turning her attention to the almost empty cup in her hands. Jordan looked back to Layla who swirled her drink, before taking a sip.

"Are you?" Jordan asked. A simple question that she would usually brush over and force a smile to hide the pain she'd felt now carried weight to it. Even as much as she tried to hide her feelings, it was shown on her face as clear as day. She didn't know if it was a mixture of being lonely or the alcohol in her system. But without even thinking, she shook her head. Closing one eye she scrunched her face as if she'd been in physical pain.

"No...but I don't want to put you in the middle of it. I'm sure you have enough problems of your own. I'll be fine, Jordan go be with Simone. You should have fun tonight and not be worried about me,". Jordan placed the water bottle down, crossing his arms, he turned his back against the party, leaning against the island giving her his full attention. Layla turned to the side, with one arm on the island to support her weight.

"Layla your my friend and right now you need me. I'm not leaving,". His magnetic smile spread across his lips making it hard for Layla to not crack a smile. She smacked her lips tightly together to stop hers from forming. "Now tell me what's on your mind? And why are you hiding in the kitchen?".  Without hesitation, she answered quickly. "I'm not hiding,". Jordan narrowed his gaze when Layla continued. "Not exactly..." she trailed. "It's a long story,".

Jordan checked his watch when he smiled. "Lucky for you I got time,". Layla forced her own smile half annoyed half grateful that Jordan didn't budge. "I take it you and Liv had a falling out? Is that why I haven't seen you around the house lately?". Layla gently nodded. "Something like that,". Jordan let out a sigh, knowing he'd been in the same boat.

"I'm with you on that one. Spencer and I had our own falling out. Well...more like I was being an ass to him when I shouldn't have. This week has been a lot you know. From the wedding being called off to the state championship game. It happened so quickly I guess I didn't have time to process what I had been feeling. I let my ego get the best of me which ultimately led to Asher and Spencer being sent to the hospital. I wanted to win so badly that I'd do anything no matter the outcome, and JJ advised me not to, I made the call which backfired since we didn't even win in the end,". Layla turned her back against the party, matching Jordan's position. A sincere smile fell on her lips, covering her hand in his, she squeezed it. "I'm sorry,". 

Jordan grabbed her hand in his, rubbing his thumb along the top of hers. "Don't be. Guess we are not so different after all,". Layla let out a sigh, gently nodding. "I'm just tired of the lies and people thinking I can't handle the truth. I'm not this broken girl that needs to be shielded and protected from the world. I can handle it. Believe me, I've been through so much, in the past few years, this is nothing. But what I can't handle is the manipulation and lies. Tell it to me straight and stop beating around the bush,". Layla shook her head in frustration. Jordan squeezed her hand softly when Layla softened her gaze.

"I don't think you're broken. Ever since the day I met you back in the sixth grade I had always thought you were strong, smart, and resilient. You don't let life bring you down, and even through your hardships, you're still the light that shines through the cracks. At your lowest and darkest days, you're still the strongest girl I know. You're not broken, Layla. I don't believe that for a second. And as for my sister. You and Olivia will work this out. You always do,". Layla's heart warmed at the sweet words Jordan spoke to her. A tear escaped her when she quickly wiped it away.

"Thank you," Layla mouthed when Jordan shook his head wrapping her into a hug.

"No need to thank me, Layla. I think you sometimes forget that we are friends too. And...I'm here for you,". "I know,". She smiled whispering beside his ear. And for a minute it felt as if she was safe, collapsing into his embrace, he squeezed her tightly. They both stayed there in each other's embrace until Layla's phone vibrated on the island. She sighed grabbing it. Looking at the caller ID she immediately wished she would have not picked up her phone.

"It's Carrie. She wasn't feeling well so I left her at home. I promised her that I'd pick up soup for her on the way back,". Layla bit her lip letting the call go to voicemail. Jordan watched Layla when he could tell she had been a bit uncomfortable. "And how's that going?".

Layla looked at her phone the second she received a voicemail from Carrie. Looking up to meet his eyes she shrugged. "I know what you're going to say, but it's good to have a friend there. The house gets lonely sometimes you know?". Jordan raised his hands in surrender. "I wasn't going to say anything,". Layla met his eyes when he smiled with a guilty expression that washed over him. "Okay, I was but I'm not anymore,".

"Good, because whatever you're going to say I'm sure I heard it before. And trust me she means no harm. We both just needed a friend, and right now I could use one of those,". Jordan agreed when he turned back to Asher who'd been sitting at the other end of the island drinking.

"Yeah and I think someone else does too. Hey Asher you good? Maybe you shouldn't be drinking since you're on medication,". Asher snapped at Jordan. "Maybe you should mind your own damn business,". Asher's voice had been raspy slurring his words. His hair was a mess, and his face was bruised. He had bags under his eyes, and his skin was pale. Asher didn't look so good. Trying to stand up, his knees almost buckled under him. Stabilizing himself against the island, Jordan rushed over to him. Shoving Jordan away from him, Asher raised his voice. "I'm fine! Please just leave me the hell alone,".

Jordan raised his hands slowly backing away from Asher. He didn't take anything personal knowing Asher held resentment which was to be expected and was a little intoxicated which didn't help the situation either. Asher wobbled making his way through the crowd when Layla walked over to Jordan. Resting her hand on his shoulder, Jordan turned back around giving her a sad smile.

"Give him time, he's going through a lot," Layla reassured Jordan. "Like you told me. You, Asher, and Spencer will work it out. You always do,". Jordan cracked a smiled nodding. "Guess I should take my own advice sometimes,". Layla agreed. "You and me both,". 

Cutting their conversation short the music slowed to a stop as footsteps pounded the floor below. Both Layla and Jordan turned to see JJ run through the crowd butt naked before making his way up the stairs. Layla and Jordan both looked at each other when their mouths parted. "Did you just see what I..."Jordan trailed. Layla nodded confirming that his eyes hadn't been playing tricks on him. "Yup...".

A big splash was heard in the distance when every single head turned towards the pool Everyone fell silent while a few collected gasps were heard throughout the crowd. JJ popped his head above water a few seconds later yelling at the top of his lungs. When a group of boys and girls followed him jumping into the pool just as the music resumed. Jordan looked over to Layla who widened her eyes.

"Guessing he lost the bet," Jordan let out a laugh. Layla smiled shaking her head. Her smile faded the second her phone rang again. Looking at the caller ID to see that Carrie had been calling again.

"I should get going. Carrie won't stop calling until I answer. Thank you again for everything,". Layla pulled Jordan in for a hug when he squeezed her softly. "No need to thank me. Anytime, and I mean that. I should go check on Asher anyways. You sure you don't want me to drop you off at home?". Layla shook her head. "I'll be fine,". She reassured him.

"I should go check on Asher anyways," Jordan placed his hands in his pocket. He watched Layla walk backward giving him a subtle wave. "That's a good idea. Let me know how it goes. Goodnight Jordan,". He smiled warmly waving back to her. "I will. Goodnight Layla. Don't be a stranger,". Layla matched his smile. "I won't,". Jordan let out a sigh knowing he had two relationships he needed to mend. making his way through the crowd he first went to check up on Asher.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.7K 143 10
Instead of receiving a quirk like others, 4 year old Izumi Midoriya found a special book containing powerful cards awakening an old power from ages a...
4.1K 312 5
မောင် က ကျွန်တော့်ကို ပုံဖော်ခဲ့တယ် သူမ တုန်းက အတိုင်း
854 102 9
What lies behind you ; What lies infront of me ; Complete our moon within us, together A glamorous catwalk, That's what you see... Beautiful starry...
17K 629 28
NOT MY ART!!! art creds to @gracelliee on Twitter. DNF high school trans FTM George au. Dream is the classic high school (American) football teenage...