The Line of the Sol Empress

By wdhenning

For over a millennia, the Line of the Sol Empress had reigned over the scattered planets of the Sol Commonwea... More

Part 1 - Phoenix Star
Chapter 1
Chapter 2.1
Chapter 2.2
Chapter 2.3
Chapter 2.4
Chapter 2.5
Chapter 3.1
Chapter 3.2
Chapter 3.3
Chapter 3.4
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7.1
Chapter 7.2
Chapter 7.3
Chapter 7.4
Chapter 7.5
Chapter 7.6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9.1
Chapter 9.2
Chapter 9.3
Chapter 9.4
Chapter 9.5
Chapter 9.6
Chapter 10
Chapter 11.1
Chapter 11.2
Chapter 12.1
Chapter 12.2
Chapter 12.3
Chapter 12.4
Chapter 13.1
Chapter 13.2
Chapter 14
Chapter 15.1
Chapter 15.2
Chapter 15.3
Chapter 15.4
Chapter 15.5
Chapter 15.6
Chapter 16.1
Chapter 16.2
Chapter 17.1
Chapter 17.2
Part 2 - Firebird Rise
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20.1
Chapter 20.2
Chapter 20.3
Chapter 21.1
Chapter 21.2
Chapter 21.3
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25.1
Chapter 25.2
Chapter 25.3
Chapter 25.4
Chapter 25.5
Chapter 26.1
Chapter 26.2
Chapter 27.1
Chapter 27.2
Chapter 27.3
Chapter 28.1
Chapter 28.2
Chapter 28.3
Chapter 28.4
Chapter 29.1
Chapter 29.2
Chapter 29.3
Chapter 29.4
Chapter 29.5
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33.1
Chapter 33.2
Chapter 33.3
Chapter 33.4
Chapter 33.5
Chapter 34.1
Chapter 34.2
Chapter 34.3
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38.1
Chapter 38.2
Chapter 38.3
Chapter 39
Chapter 40.1
Chapter 40.2
Chapter 40.3
Chapter 40.4
Chapter 41
Author's Note

Chapter 29.6

108 16 44
By wdhenning

[Hope]

Tingles crawled down Hope's spine at the news. They are here already?

Before anyone responded, a blast echoed through the hall like thunder. The outside door caved in, twisting on its hinges amid billowing smoke. Screams broke out as the people inside scrambled to find cover and scattered cries rose from the children. Sura sheltered Amil in her arms, her breath quickening.

Angelique marched to the breached door, growling under her breath. At the threshold, she crossed her arms and shouted. "What is the meaning of this, Massen!"

Gabriel and Hope peeked out a window. He pointed. "That big man with the gold head-wrap, he is a leader in the Khan."

"You know why I be here." The man replied, surrounded by a contingent of guards in red and green uniforms. "Send the woman out or we will come and get her." A wide smile came to his face, white teeth contrasting with dark skin. "You will not want that."

Also accompanying Massen were a squad of Commonwealth Marines wearing dark-blue tactical suits and rounded helmets, each carrying a pulse rifle, and two men in crisp business suits sporting Trade Consortium crests. But most fearsome was a battle-bot, standing nearly three meters tall on thick metal feet, with twin rapid-fire pulse cannons extending from its shoulders and grappling claws like talons hanging at its side. A red light within a sensor array on its head swept back and forth.

And no doubt they have the entire facility surrounded.

Angelique came up to Hope, a grim expression on her face. "Empress, we need to get you out of here."

"No."

"But Empress--"

Hope shook her head. "If I do not stand with the people, then I would be unworthy of the title." She sighed, accepting what seemed inevitable. After all this, they still take me. She turned, narrowing her eyes at her brother's wide grin. "What are you smiling at?"

"Don't you understand? Hope, those battle-bots are controlled with an advanced AI."

As the realization came to Hope, her grin matched Gabriel's. "Oh, yeah..." She turned back to Angelique. "In my room, I have the Signet test device that I took from the Priestess' office. Would you get it for me? I tell you truly, this is far from over."

Later, with the shiny metal Signet tube in Angelique's hand, she and Hope stood at the doorway. "We are coming out." Angelique announced, holding her hands up.

With a supportive nod from Gabriel, the women stepped outside, squinting in the bright sunlight. Together, they walked toward Massen while the others assembled in the dusty street. The cannon turrets on the battle-bot tracked their progress. By this time, a crowd of onlookers had gathered, forming a wide semi-circle set apart from the soldiers.

Massen tilted his head toward one of the Consortium officials standing at his side. The official, wearing a dark suit under the scorching sun, wiped sweat from his brow while scrolling through a tablet viewer, then nodded. "She is the one."

Narrowing her eyes, Angelique said to the Khan leader, "Tell me, Massen, what do you get for her?"

"A substantial bounty and favorable trade allowances." He flashed a big smile. "It just be good business."

Hope wandered to the battle-bot, coming within a half-meter and looking high up into its sensor array. A cannon turret pointed at her, nearly touching her face. Hope directed a question to the Commonwealth officer standing nearby. "I am curious, Lieutenant, is this bot as dangerous as it appears?"

The Lieutenant responded, "It could turn this city into a pile of rubble, or you into a grease spot." Two Commonwealth Marines nearby snickered at the reply.

"Good to know." Hope lifted her hand and placed it against a biometric scanner plate on the bot's hip. "Sol override, code sigma-omicron-lambda."

The bot lowered its cannon and said in a monotone electronic voice. "Override achieved, Empress."

"Bot, protect me and all those in the shelter behind me. Lethal force authorized. Nearby military personnel are deemed as hostile."

With a whir of servo motors, the bot swung around, aiming its cannons at the startled marines and guards. One of Massen's guards yelled a battle cry and jumped out, bringing his rifle to bear at Hope. In a rapid motion, the battle-bot adjusted its aim and fired a single plasma bolt. The guard flew back to the ground as the bolt blew a smoldering cavity into his chest.

Hope turned to the Lieutenant, whose face had noticeably paled. "I am impressed. The bot is dangerous, indeed. Now, I would like all of you to drop your weapons and get on your knees with your hands behind your heads." They all stood still, as if frozen in place. Hope shook her head. "Bot, fire a warning shot as an incentive for compliance."

A plasma bolt blasted into the dusty street near the feet of the Khan leader, pelting all those nearby with bits of gravel and grit. Needing no further convincing, the marines and guards complied. Other soldiers surrounding the shelter surrendered or fled.

Gabriel led others from inside to gather up the dropped weapons. Holding one of rifles, he came up to his sister. "Not bad, Hope."

She grinned. "That was kinda fun."

A roar came from above, growing louder. Straining her eyes, Hope made out the delta-wing starship descending from the sky. But even before clearly seen, she recognized the whine of the fusion thrusters. Gabriel returned her knowing smile. "Dad is here."

Another ship joined the Firebird Rise above, then another, and countless more. Each added a note to a symphony of thrusters. Gabriel tilted his head up. "And he brought friends."

Hope's eyes caught Stephen standing just outside the damaged door. Excusing herself, she approached him, limping on her prosthetic leg with head bowed. "Stephen, I'm sorry. I should have--"

Stephen silenced her with a finger to her lips, then took up her hands. "No Hope, it is I who should apologize to you. Learning that you are the Empress heir was hard to take in. It would have actually been easier if you were some kind of wanted criminal."

"In a way, I am," Hope replied, gazing into his eyes. "But even I did not know until recently of my genetic heritage."

He shook his head, clamping his eyes shut. "I can't believe I made love with the Sol Empress."

"No. You made love with a girl from a backwater world trying to find her way." Hope stroked his cheek. "Stephen, you saved my life and renewed my spirit. For that I will always be grateful."

Stephen returned the gentle touch. "What happens now, Hope? To us?"

"I will be here for a few days to help transition Ephenia--"

"And then you will have to go, won't you? Because your duty is elsewhere."

"Yes. And you will have to stay. Because your duty is here."

"Would I ever see you again?"

She dipped her head and replied in a weak voice. "I... I don't know."

Stephen lifted her chin with a hand. "Then, do you think we would have time for one more date, assuming the Empress allows?"

Moving in to kiss him on the cheek, Hope whispered, "I don't think the Empress would object, but you might have to convince my father and my bodyguard."

Released from Stephen's hold, Hope sought Angelique. "There is one more thing I need to do here."

"Yes." Angelique smiled, holding out the Signet test cylinder. "It is time to announce to Ephenia that the Sol Empress is here."

"Join me then, because I would burden you with setting this world right." A tug came to Hope's shirt from a dark-haired grinning boy. Hope put an arm around him, saying, "Join me too, Amil. For the future of this world belongs to you."

Hope grasped the signet cylinder, holding it high. The blue light, a universal sign of the Sol Empress, appeared at one end, becoming brighter until it rivaled the mid-day sunshine. The surrounding crowd of onlookers quieted. A single cheer broke out and spread like wildfire, drowning out the descending starships.

Hope took warm comfort from the people's support. There was no turning back now.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7M 114K 68
Mankind is evolving. Some love it, some fear it. Some embrace it, some envy it. For Zoey, the evolution of man has always been in the darkest part of...
5.9K 530 41
βœ”Completedβœ” The forest is her home. She's been among the towering trees all her life. They are as familiar to her as her own family. She knows eve...
227K 16.4K 90
π–πšπ­π­π²π¬ πŸπŸŽπŸπŸ– 𝐒𝐑𝐨𝐫𝐭π₯𝐒𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫 || Fire isn't all that brings light in the darkness. || When an advanced alien race appeared and stormed...
402K 8K 21
(Yo this story is really crusty and I promise I am working in editing it - some characters may different as well as the plot line but like I cringe e...