Fat To Fabulous

By xoxoAbbeyxoxo

April Phillips is your typical nerdy girl with her typical glasses, typical unruly brown hair, and typical ac... More

Chapter One: Opportunities
Chapter Two: Run, Baby, Run
Chapter Three: New Looks
Chapter Four: Busted
Chapter Five: Victoria's Secret
*AUTHOR'S NOTE*
Chapter Six: All Eyes On Her
Chapter Seven: Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Ouch!
Chapter Eight: Treading On Forbidden Territory
Chapter Nine: Got A Secret, Can You Keep It?
Chapter Eleven: Trevor Off The Tracks
Chapter Twelve: Fakin'
Chapter Thirteen: Mutiny and Overthrow
New Queen vs Old Queen
Chapter 15: The Final Round

Chapter Ten: Merry Christmas

5K 148 85
By xoxoAbbeyxoxo

April's POV

The next morning, I woke up and rolled over to the side to find an empty bed. I braced myself up on my hands and rubbed the sleepiness from my eyes before I glanced around the bedroom. Everything was in place and nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

Except for Dominic not being in bed.

I glanced at the clock, which read 11:50 in the morning, before getting out of bed and heading to the bathroom. Using the guest bathroom, I brushed my teeth and took a shower before changing into Dominic's wife beater and shorts before heading downstairs.

Sunlight filtered through the white curtains which illuminated the living room and kitchen. The sound of sizzling oil and the smell of cinnamon toast greeted me as I turned into the kitchen. I was greeted with the sight of Dominic in nothing but a pair of basketball shorts, flipping bacon and eggs on the stove.

"Good morning, Sleeping Beauty." He said as I walked over to him and leaned against the counter.

"Good morning." I said in a quiet, tired voice. "How long have you been up?"

"Since nine o'clock." He replied. "I went for a run and took a shower before coming back and preparing breakfast. You're a heavy sleeper."

I raised an eyebrow. "I am?"

"Yeah, you are." He said smiling. He turned down the fire on the stove before stepping in front of me and wrapping his arms around my waist. "You slept through the lawnmower, my shower, and breakfast."

I reached up and wrapped my arms around his neck as I placed a kiss on his lips. "I was really tired last night."

"I could tell." He said in a husky voice. He leaned in and pressed his lips against mine as his hands ran over the small of my back. I kissed him back for a few minutes before pulling away. "But now I'm hingry." I said with a smile.

He gave me a look before turning back to the stove and putting eggs, bacon and cinnamon toast with butter on each plate before carrying both of them over to the table. We ate in comfortable silence for a moment before I asked him, "So what are you planning on doing today?"

He shrugged. "I really have nothing to do today, so I will probably be staying home."

"Your family doesn't have anything planned for Christmas? It's only a few days away, you know."

He nodded. "I know. But my family doesn't really take Christmas seriously like other families do."

"I respect that. I'm going to go visit Carmen today."

He looked up at me. "You're really going to visit her? You know that she is going to be coming back to school in a bout a week or so and she has been really bitchy lately."

I shrugged. "I don't care. Besides, I know how to hold my own."

He nodded again. "Okay, but don't say I didn't warn you."

I washed up the dishes before putting on my clothes that I came here in that was washed and dried before putting on my jean jeacket.

"Bye, April." Dominic said to me as he leaned against the doorframe of the front door.

"Bye, Dominic." I said as I shoved my feet into my shoes and threw my bag over my shoulder before giving him a peck on the cheek. "I'll call you later."

"Okay. Drive safely." He said as he closed the door behind me.

"Thanks." I walked down the pathway and into the garage where I started the car and pulled out onto the avenue.

"And I think you need to stop being a spoiled, bitchy, stuck-up, lying, promiscous wanna be Paris Hilton before I give you more than a slap in the face, you dirty, trailer-trash call girl."

And with that, I picked up my handbag and left her house without a backwards glance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I walked through my front door, I saw my mother and two of my little cousins, Paris and Andre, hanging up Christmas decorations on a seven- foot Christmas tree. My mother had her hair pulled into a messy bun and stood on top of a stool as she decorated the top half of the tree. Paris and Andre dropped what they were doing as I closed the door behind me and dropped my bag on the couch.

"Apwil!" They cried in unison as they ran into my legs and reached up for me to pick them up. I did as they wanted and lifted them in each arm as I gave them a kiss on the cheek.

"Hey, Andre and Paris!" I said, equally as excited. "What's up?"

Paris laid her head on my shoulder as she said, "Auntie say we decowate fo' Cwismas!"

I laughed at their inability to pronounce their R's and walked over to my mom who came down from the ladder to embrace me in a hug.

"Hey, April." My mom said happily. "How are you?"

"Good. I spent the night at a friend's house last night, just in case you're wondering."

"That's fine." She said. Andre started to become very needy as he yanked on one of my earrings for attention.

"Ow!" I quickly put him and Paris on the ground so they would be able to continue decorating the tree.

"Go wash up and then you can come back downstairs and help us with the decorations." My mom said as she ascended the ladder again.

"Kay." I said as I grabbed my bag and carried it up to my room. As I took off my watch and began to undress, my cell phone vibrated in my bag before playing "The Way" by Ariana Grande. I looked at the caller ID before answering it and putting it on speakerphone. I placed it on my bed.

"Hello?"

"Hey, April." I heard Dominic's voice come through my phone.

"Hey, Dominic." I said. I removed my undergarments and wrapped myself in a robe before tying my hair in a bun.

"I just called to make sure that you reached home safely." He said casually.

"Aw, thanks." I said, smiling. "I'm about to go shower and then go downstairs and help with the decorations."

"Alright. Have a good night."

"You too."

Click.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After my shower, I got dressed in my sweats and a tank top before going downstairs. The tree was finished and it looked absolutely beautiful. Red and green ribbons wrapped around the tree where it ended at a large star that sat perfectly on top. The ornaments and decorations were flawless and a few presents sat under the tree, also.

Paris and Andre were fighting over a video game while my mother was busy preparing dinner. I walked over to the counter and peered in the pot that was almost bubbling over with soup.

"Can I help?" I asked, placing the lid back on the pot.

"No, thank you, I'm fine." My mother said. Whenever it came to cooking, my mother liked to do everything herself so she will be able to have bragging rights. "But what you can do is watch Paris and Andre for me. They will kill each other if no one is watching them."

I nodded and turned around, but before I could do anything, I saw Paris raise her tiny fist as far back as she can and swung it so it landed right in Andre's temple. A piercing shriek sounded from Andre as he held the side of his face. Paris, looking unapologetic, grabbed the controller from him.

"Paris!" I said, taking the controller from her and lifting up Andre before lacing him on my hip.

For a three year old, she swung like Floyd Mayweather.

Andre rested his head on my shoulder as I continued to sob.

"Paris, go sit in the corner." I said firmly. She did as she was told and sat down in the time-out area. She still looked as if she did nothing wrong.

"Hush." I said, bouncing Andre up and down, attempting to calm him down. I looked on the side of his face and saw that he had a slight red mark from where he got falcon punched.

I adjusted him on my hip and walked over to the fridge and took out a small ice pack and put it on the side of his face. He flinched at first but then settled down. He held it on the side of his face as I walked around the kitchen, looking at the delicious food.

I heard my mother swear under her breath as she looked through the cabinets and cupboards.

"What's wrong?" I asked her.

"I need to make your aunt's favorite dish, but I have nothing to make it. Would you mind running to the supermarket for me?"

I shook my head. "No, I don't mind. What do you need?"

She walked over to the island and pulled a notepad and pen from the drawer as she scribbled down foods and spices. It was a pretty long list. She ripped it off before handing it to me along with a $50 bill.

"Do you want me take Andre and Paris?"

She waved her hand in a dismissive motion. "I don't care. Take one, take both, leave them, it doesn't matter."

I nodded as I folded the bill and shoved it in my jeans pocket. Andre wrapped his hands around my neck as I made it to the front door. I looked back and saw Paris with a look of regret and sorrow etched on her face. Feeling bad for her, I called her over to me.

"Do you want to come with me?" I asked her, already knowing her answer.

She nodded.

"First, say sorry to Andre." I placed him down in front of her where he looked at her in her face, waiting for the apology.

"I'm sowwy, Andwe." Paris said quietly.

Andre walked forward and embraced her in a hug that she returned. They looked so adorable.

"It's okay. But never again."

She nodded. "Kay."

I opened the door and made them hold hands as I held onto Paris, forming a walking chain. I made it to the car and buckled them in before making my way to the driver's side and doing the same. I started the ignition and checked my mirrors before looking behind me and pulling away from the curb. Paris and Andre were under the age of eight years old, meaning that they had to ride in a car seat. But I did not care. They were perfectly safe and I was an excellent driver.

I pulled up to the parking lot of the supermarket and placed the car in park before getting out and taking Paris and Andre out of the car. I locked the doors from the outside before stashing my keys in my pocket and holding onto them as I went inside. I quickly found a shopping cart and placed Paris in the front of the shopping cart while Andre walked.

I wasn't going to risk putting him in a shopping cart full of groceries.

I pulled out the list from my jacket pocket and looked at the first item.

Whole grain spaghetti.

I made my way to the pasta aisle and searched along the shelves for spaghetti. Macaroni, lasagna, ziti,,,,

I finally landed on whole grain pasta and looked at the price before tossing it in the cart.

I finished my shopping spree within ten minutes and made my way to the cash registers. There had to be about at least ten people on each line and I didn't feel like waiting. But however, I had no choice. I pulled the shopping cart into a line that was just shortened to eight people and waited impatiently.

By the time it was time for me to check out my items, I quickly unloaded the groceries before instructing Andre to take the cart to the front of the line where the bags were. I placed the heavy bags in the cart and steered it skillfully through the double doors and parking banisters. I unloaded the items in the the trunk while I made Paris and Andre sit inside the car patiently.

After I was done, I pulled out of the parking lot and quickly drove back home. I wanted to get this night over as soon as possible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I arrived back home, Paris and Andre went back to playing video games while I carried the items to the kitchen.

"Thank you." My mother said, opening the bags that I just dumped on the counter. "I can finally make this meal before your aunt kills me."

"Is it really that important?" I ask her. "I mean, it's only a certain meal."

"Oh, no, it's not." My mother said abruptly. "Without this meal, your aunt will spend the whole night complaining and criticizing everyone's food that they slaved over. She is very selfish."

"I never thought Aunt Tonya was like that." I said.

"Oh, she is. Ever since we were little, she always wanted things done her way. Why do you think I didn't invite her over today to help around the house?"

I shrugged. "I never knew she was so.....insistent."

"She always was. Now, if you will excuse me, I have a huge dinner that must be prepared before they arrive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Three hours later, my house was swarming with aunts, uncles, cousins, and people from church that I didn't even recognize. The living room reached full capacity as relatives played board games and dominoes and others watched the television intently. The teenagers were outside on the back porch, doing God knows what while I was stuck babysitting, helping with dinner, and setting the table. With kids running around and unknown relatives greeting me, it took special skills to get the entire table set up.

When it was time for dinner, my mother went around the room and shut off the television, which gained a few groans from the watchers before heading outside to gather the teenagers as we all sat around the table.

"So how is everyone's night?" My mother asked cheerfully, despite the frowing faces around us. A few nodded and grunted approvals before joining hands and bowing their heads to say grace.

"Father," my cousin Hanna said in a soft voice. "We are gathered here today to celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Lord, we thank you for coming into the world and cleansing us through your blood to redeem us from sin. Lord, we thank you for journey mercies here to California and we thank you for this wonderful meal that you have provided us with today. Lord, bless the hands that have prepared this meal and I pray that you shall bless and sanctify it so that it may give us nutrition and energy. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen."

"Amen." The table said as everyone reached out in front of them to share out chicken, ham, turkey, macaroni, potato salad, fried dumplings, spaghetti, tacos, and many other foods eagerly. Although there was small talk around the table and laughter and smiles, I couldn't help but to feel out of place. I was typically shy around family or social gatherings in general, so I just remained quiet.

My Aunt Tonya was very silent before she said, "Who made this dinner?"

"I did." My mother said proudly.

"Very nice." She complimented. "I could tell that a lot of hard work went in to it."

"You couldn't imagine." My mom said with a slight hint of sarcasm that only I picked up on.

For dessert, we had banana splits and fudge sundaes which gained a lot of compliments and demands for seconds from the children under the age of six. Paris and Andre ate about three before deciding that they were full and leaning back in their chairs. As I was eating my ice cream, I felt a nudge from my left. I looked up and met Hanna's glowing green eyes.

"What's wrong? You're so quiet tonight."

"I'm always quiet." I replied with a smile.

"Mm, not always. I remember last Christmas you chatted up a storm."

I nodded and laughed, recalling my ramblings of school and friends at the dinner table until I was ordered to be quiet by my mother.

"Yeah, well I guess I just feel weird around this many adults. There not exactly on our level. "

She nodded as she finished her fudge sundae and washed out the dirty cup. I did the same and turned down the glass before turning to her.

"Wanna go outside?" She suggested.

"Sure."

We spent the rest of the night talking about general topics from boys to school to college plans to embarrassing stories. Before long. it was time for everyone to go and I was way beyond tired. I said goodbye to everyone first and gave them hugs and kisses before heading back upstairs and climbing into bed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning was Christmas Day, which meant Andre and Paris going completely bezerk at 8:00 in the morning. They crashed around 7:00 that night and woke up with the energy of a car battery.

"APRIL, WAKE UP! IT'S CHRISTMAS IT'S CHRISTMAS! GET UP!"

The dynamic duo charged into my room and leaped onto my bed, jostling me back and forth until I sat up. But they didn't stop there. The continued to scream, shout, and let it all out until I climbed out of bed. As soon as my feet hit the floor, they each jumped up and grabbed each of my forearms with unbelievable strength for three year olds.

I struggled to keep my balance as I was dragged downstairs and in the middle of their joyous celebration circle. My mother was cooking breakfast in the kitchen calmly, as if her niece and nephew didn't just wake up the whole of South San Diego.

"Merry Christmas." I tell them groggily as I rub my eyes and let out a yawn. When I was fully awake, I went over to the Christmas tree and watched as they scrambled and tore the wrapping off of every other present until they put a small pink box with a bow on it in front of me.

"This one has your name on it." Paris said as she held it up in front of me.

I looked at it and my name was written in neat cursive on top of the box, but it didn't say who it was from. I slowly tore off the paper and took off the lid on the small box and looked inside. A smile spread across my face as I looked at the beautiful diamond encrusted watch with my initials in the middle of it. The purple and gold wristband went well with the center of the watch as I took it out and tried it on my left wrist. The cold metal felt odd against my warm skin, but it looked amazing.

Whoever gave me this present was worthy of a hug.

I suddenly realized that I didn't get anyone a gift this year and guilt consumed me for a moment before my attention was diverted to my cousins, playing with their new toys and trying on clothes and shoes. I realized that my mother was nowhere to be seen, which meant that she was upstairs in her bedroom, fast asleep.

I decided to do the same thing and get a few more hours of rest before having a wonderful lazy Christmas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'

Hey, guys! I'm sooooo sorry that I made you guys wait this long for an update but my schedule has been so crazy that I felt bad and decided to make one last minute. I planned to have some April/Carmen drama in this chapter but I was way too tired, so I pinky promise you guys some awesome events coming up in the next chapter! I know that this is pretty short, and I am really sorry, but I hope that you guys will stick around to see what will happen in Chapter Eleven!

Don't forget to vote, comment, and share with your friends this story! So until next time ~

Later <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54.1K 2.4K 44
Julie Roberts is a straight A student, who is too serious to be involved with guys. Her life long ambition is to get into her favorite university, Ch...
21.7K 929 27
I am Sam, a 17-year-old in my junior year, weighing 200 pounds. I am fat; calling me fat is an understatement. I am obese. If you call getting a stra...
51.5K 1.9K 44
Ellie Reed is not just your average teenage girl. She is popular because of her twin brother, Elliot. Also, the fact that she is almost friends with...
579K 10.8K 22
Danielle Davis has lived the 17 years of her life without a boyfriend. After a freak incident at her school in Amherst, her parents decided it would...