The Simple Reality

By faltskogulvaeus

Continuing on from It's Just Fiction, the newly engaged couple move forward with life, love, and family as th... More

Fairytale Beginnings
Rules to Giving Up
The Wedding Planners
Bride(zilla) To Be
Surprise Arrangements
Those in the Middle
Good and Bad Decisions
The Undisclosed
Best Behavior
Slightly Unexpected
Surprises to Count
The Day Before
Down to the Last Hour
The Fifth of September
The Impatient Wife
Time Tweaking
Third Wheeler
Capsaicin
Red Effect
The Gifters and the Gifted
Jealous Eyes
Trilingual Conflicts
Trick of the Sweet
Not A Soul But Two
Finders Keepers
No Doubt About It
Bedtime Stories
Voyage Ahead
Distance, Resistance
Full Eclipse
Can't Stay Away
Signed, Björn Ulvaeus
Everything to Say
Fever
Ex-Barber
Really, Really Good Friends
Overthinker's Club
The Pair Annoyed
Nation's Greatest Secret
Predictably Unpredictable
PRfect Covers
The Candidate
Björn på Cirkus
Never Been More Missed
Baby, Calm Down
The Irreplaceables
Mood Killer
On Hold
Sweetest Bear
The Villa Over Chania
00:00:00
A Pair of Thieves
Dinner Plans in Paradise
Fifty/Fifty
Sounds Like Insomnia
Decision Makers
Little Pains
Swap and Exchange
A + B = C
The Giving Hand
1:1
Where Do We Go From Here?

Twice Upon A Time

272 14 20
By faltskogulvaeus

The elder man was lost in thought in the scene before him, watching over every detail with his attention focused until he felt a slight squeeze on his hand that had him turn his gaze towards the woman of his life. She was also watching patiently too. She had not tightened her hand intentionally to draw his attention to her for anything, but he had realized she had only subconsciously done it. There were nearly 30 people before them seated and awaiting their walk, and standing at the end of the line, he finally thought to bring her attention to him one last time before she officially would become his wife.

"Agnetha?"

"Hm?" She quickly turned to see him. He had glanced at the bouquet in her hand, admiringly, and then brought his eyes to hers.

"What are you thinking of?" he asked, feeling that she was a bit tense now. He only wanted to relax her because this was going to be a wonderful day of their lives and he wanted to go through it with ease.

"Nothing," she whispered. She had smiled to him, and she couldn't help the way her eyes watered, and they sparkled her eyes.

"Hey," he laughed. "Oh. Why the tears?" Björn asked tenderly. She shook her head and blinked them away. His thumb stroked her cheek where she rosed up and immediately Agnetha wiped just beneath her eyes, avoiding the result of sentimental thoughts.

"I'm not," she sighed. "I guess... just happy tears."

"If they're happy tears, that's okay. But if Lolo sees your make up is ruined she might yell at you," he laughed, bringing her to laugh too. He couldn't help but lean himself into her. Her scent lured him in and he loved her for everything that stood before him. She had her nose to his and he leaned in all the way to kiss her before she moved back, just by her head.

"Mm, you don't want to ruin my make up, but I have lip gloss on and you want to kiss me?"

"And I will still kiss you." He set a peck to her mouth. "Lolo can choose to yell at me. I have a good excuse. She might agree with me in the end." Agnetha bit her lip to conceal her laugh, and used her thumb to remove the shine that stuck to Björn's lips.

"I love you so much," she whispered. "I'm just thinking. Silly thoughts."

"Baby, I love you more. You have less than a minute to tell me."

"I'm thinking of our parents, Björn. How much they would've loved to ever see us together again. How they'd be if they knew we ended up here after all this time. Maybe they would have never imagined it to ever to happen again for us, and look at us, aged and doing the unimagined."

"They would have been the first to dance for us," he shared back, smilingly. She put her hand to his face and bit her lip nervously.

"Instead of our parents with us, we have our children to lead us through. I'm so happy, Björn."

"And I want your happiness to be forever. Share it with me?"

"Always."

Björn broke from her hand and held out his arm for her to take instead. They had turned to face the few crowd before them rise to watch them walk down the aisle, a path leading them down towards a large tree and and an arch of roses white and pink. One palm of hers wrapped around his elbow and another holding a bouquet of the white roses mixed with baby's breath. They had both watched the faces of their loved ones elicit excitement for them, and the moment and feeling, they knew, would be forever engraved in the hearts. It was something entirely unique to happen. Smiles were far from fading and tears were easily present from them and from those that surrounded them– their friends, their children, and their grandchildren. They greeted everyone with nods and smiles as they made it down to the end where the officiant waited patiently, firstly for them to stand before him, and then calmly as the melody Benny had played on the piano had reached its closing.

"Welcome, family, friends and loved ones," began the man who stood tall in a gray suit. "We're gathered together today to celebrate and witness the union of two individuals, Björn and Agnetha, in matrimony. A bond which had begun only a short 52 years ago... will be affirmed today once again and together we are here to share with them this beautiful occasion."

"Nej. Nej!" A small cry drew the attention of the crowd and the two who stood ready to be wed. It shocked them all momentarily until they had realized it had come from the youngest member of their family, Hedvig, by accident.

"Sorry!" Anna whispered loud enough for them to hear when she had noticed what her daughter's little voice had caused. It was only a reaction from taking away a small card from the child only to obediently give it back, deciding the choice is to let her keep it. The people had laughed including the officiant.

"If anyone else, other than this little girl has reason to call out nej, for any reason at all, and to deny this couple their wish to marry, speak now or forever hold your peace..." He had spoken it in a joking matter, it was a highly rare circumstance that it should ever happen. Björn snickered seeing his daughter cover Hedvig's mouth this time around, just for the moment until they had the chance to proceed with the ceremony.

Agnetha's hands were in Björn's when they resumed and their eyes also deeply lost in his, mirroring the very same love, thrill, and anxiety, a positive one, that a dream that was once dreamed would indeed become their reality once more. This time it was different. They'd grown so far from their youth, from the years of being in love foolishly and unknowing that one day their paths would lead them right back into each other's arms. Life had made a full circle for them and at last they found one another in another honest moment, this time shared with their children to witness.

"Björn, do you take Agnetha as your lawfully wedded wife, to live together in matrimony, to love her, comfort her, honor and keep her, in sickness and in health, in sorrow and in joy, to have and to hold, from this day forward, as long as you both shall live?" he was asked.

"Yes, I do," he shared immediately. Agnetha's grin was too wide and she could hardly conceal it. She anticipated the same to be asked to her and her heard viciously thumped for the moment.

"Do you, Agnetha, take Björn to be your lawfully wedded husband, to live together in matrimony, to love him, comfort him, honor and keep him, in sickness and in health, in sorrow and in joy, to have and to hold, from this day forward, as long as you both shall live?" She had a little expression that made them both giggle. As if she could ever say otherwise.

"Absolutely," she finally said, even hopelessly. "I do."

The officiant had called for Albert who was seated in the front row to be given the rings that were to be exchanged– two of them, the first being her wedding band from their first marriage and the second being his ring. Her fingers danced in the air as she waited for him to slip it on to settle in beside her teardrop shaped diamond ring. He was reciting his vows to her, and she couldn't deny that she was sentimental. Quickly, she turned for his ring, giving it more of a defined meaning, that this time, it would stand to symbolize their unending love. He'd finished his vows for her to begin hers.

"With this ring... I, Agnetha, take you, Björn, to be no other than yourself. Loving what I know of you... and trusting what I do not yet know," her eyes twinkled, playfully and curiously. "I will respect your integrity and have faith in your abiding love for me, through all our years, and in all that life may bring us," she had said to him, repeating after the officiant. Björn smiled gratefully and lifted her her hand to kiss her rings over the words of the officiant.

"Björn and Agnetha, you have expressed your love to one another through the commitment and promises you have just made." Björn grinned foolishly like it had been the first time he'd make her his. "It is with these in mind that I pronounce you man and wife. You may now kiss—"

"You don't even need to tell me." Björn tugged her into his arms, his lips meeting Agnetha's fully and delicately. They heard the officiant finishing his words and the claps of their family and friends, cheering them on. Their smiles were felt against each other, and it was like history repeated again in a way they were glad to see again. When they turned at last to face the crowd, Agnetha had waved the bouquet in her hand and gorgeously smiled to those who were expressing love and happiness for them.

Snapshots had been taken and once it had all finished Björn and Agnetha had walked out of the same path they walked down to meet their family and friends, who greeted the two by throwing rose petals as they walked past them. They received an abundant amount of congratulations from every side, from all of their children, friends and everyone there to show their support and love.

The escape was by Björn's boat which had been docked at the shore. They had steadily made their way down the steps with very few people with them, of course their two children who stood as best man and the maid of honor. Benny and Frida were begged to go since Henry would use the hour or so to make a run back home, they didn't want her stranded until the party, and although Mona told Benny not to go, her wishes couldn't level to Björn and Agnetha's.

"I am going with them. I can't say no."

"Says the master of saying no," Mona told him.

"Today is a difficult day to do that, as you can see it's my friends' wedding." Frida listened to mumbles of the exchange and she rolled her eyes because she understood why Mona was holding him back. She couldn't board the boat without leaving one thing for Mona.

"Mona, if you would like to, you are welcome to tag along," Frida told her. "There's space." Benny shot her a look by his eyes, and it was purposely ignored by Frida though totally seen.

"Thanks but I'm fine here. I'll wait with Ludvig."

"As you wish," Frida said in a kind smile, lifting her head and climbing the boat.

The white boat with a wavering flag had sailed off for an hour carrying a small group who were all so dear to one another. They'd opened a bottle of champagne to celebrate as they'd tour for a little while before the party, and as Christian poured champagne for everyone, Frida had a glance at Benny seeing he was reluctant even before he refused the drink. She was proud of him for not drinking anymore, of course, and she poured water into his and her glasses instead. She broke awkwardness easy with a playful smile.

"To a happily ever after," Benny said. They'd all called skål as their glasses clinked.

For those on the boat, they spent a lovely time taking pictures and making them into memories. They enjoyed the wind, just a bit, in caution that their hair would not become tangled.

"This is perhaps my first memory of mama and papa as a married couple," Christian openly said, turning to look over his shoulder as he steered the boat.

"Don't worry, there's not a chance I'll ever let you forget that she is my wife," Björn said.

"Or for anyone, for that matter," Benny added.

"As if you really allowed anyone to forget that she was your wife once upon a time. Even forty years, you mentioned her as your wife at least a half a million times," Linda said.

"And he'll be the one to repeat it another million times more," Frida added.

"We can all agree that we can no longer say once upon a time about our marriage. It's now twice," Agnetha clarified.

"Twice upon a time then," Björn smiled to Agnetha. He had his arm around her and his eyes ran along her dress again, even being seated beside one another because he was sure to never allow himself to forget the way she looked that day.

"We are insistent on being different. Usually people get it right the first time and their marriage works the first time around. Normal fairytales begin with a 'Once upon a time, he married the love of his life.' Björn is the one who will say, 'Twice upon a time, I married the love of my life,'" Agnetha said laughingly, bringing the rest to laugh too. Björn smiled and leaned in to press a big kiss to her cheek.

"Absolutely right. The love of my life," he repeated, entirely glad that she too had known it is this way. He felt so lucky and his cheery energy was limitless. He'd accomplished his goal, the most important one of many he's had in his lifetime, and finally, truly and lawfully had her at his side for all the rest of his eternity.

"Well, so be it," Frida said. "To twice upon a time!" They cheered again, bringing their glasses together. Meanwhile, the boat had cruised around Stockholm and the archipelagos, sailing them through the beginning of a new journey.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14K 1.6K 34
"Marriage" the most sacred bond in the world. It's called as a life time commitment.... But!!!! what will be the consequences.... if this lifetime co...
9.5M 309K 70
Wattpad Creator! Happy and proud. HIM: Staying the night? Not my thing. Hearts and flowers? Boring. Falling in love? Not anytime soon. Settling down...
23.3K 504 24
STEAMY CHAPTERS. For MATURE AUDIENCES ONLY. 18+ We follow the love life of one Ms.Zolaj as she drives herself into meaningful/meaningless entanglemen...
11.9K 736 33
Two young souls find comfort in each other's presence. This is their story.