Book 4 - Spring

By JustSkulkingAround

The Revolution seems to be playing with forces it doesn't understand, and the personifications are paying the... More

II - Start
III - Cold
IV - Followed
V - Fur
VI - Bruises
VII - Black
VIII - Laughter to Tears
IX - Comforting Nights
X - Recovery
XI - Hounds
XII - Melt
XIII - Shaking Worlds
XIV - Going South
XV - Phone Signal
XVI - Iron and Rust
XVII - Whistling
XVIII - Return to Humanity
XIX - Gasps
XX - Bandages
XXI - Rolling Words
XXII - Doctor, Doctor
XXIII - Well Deserved
XXIV - The Vet
XXV - Fine
XXVI - Gone
XXVII - Civil Dispute
XXVIII - Map Maker
XXIX - Sass
XXX - Bitter Wine
XXXI - Stubborn Silence
XXXII - Minor Annoyance
XXXIII - Grey
XXXIV - Smoke
XXXV - Enclosed
XXXVI - Weapons Storage

I - Healing

958 23 29
By JustSkulkingAround

They had been walking for several hours when Russia plants himself down in a clearing. His paws ache and his stomach churns. America slides off with South Carolina. Texas tumbles down and groans.

Russia closes his mouth and can't ignore the new sensation of fangs sitting on his face from under his upper lip. He isn't sure when they had appeared, but he isn't complaining. It makes hunting easier.

'I need to eat something, but I'm so tired.'

"Why did we stop?" Brazil asks.

"Ruby needs a break," America explains, sitting next to Russia's face.

"Fair enough," Finland says with a sigh, sitting down next to Russia's side, rubbing where her arm had been.

Russia sighs and closes his eyes. His ears flick around as sounds surround them.

'Sound being here is better than nothing.'

But as much as Russia tries to relax enough to fall into a cat nap, he finds that there is too much to pay attention to around him.

'I can't risk any of them getting hurt.'

America softly pets the side of Russia's face and he purrs.

"Roos?" his brother asks.

Russia opens an eye to spot Ukraine looking up at him before looking away.

Russia sits up, opening his eyes and watching with concern as Ukraine looks down, worry on his face.

"Are we going to make it back home?"

Russia doesn't answer.

'I don't want to worry you, but I also hate false promises.'

"You know, as much as I hate how controlling Papa was, right now, I wish he would run in and get us out of here. I want to go home."

'I do too.'

"Done!" Mississippi exclaims, raising his hand in the air, "Dad, catch!"

Something flies past Russia's face and brushes against his whiskers. He flinches but doesn't spring up for fear of stepping on someone.

"Oh! Sorry 'bout that cat-dad, didn't mean to startle you."

Russia covers his face with his paws. America laughs and scratches under Russia's chin. Russia tucks his paws back under him and closes his eyes. He rubs his face against America and America laughs.

"You're as affectionate as ever. I love you," America coos.

Russia purrs louder and accidentally knocks America onto his back. Russia yanks away, his heart skipping a beat. America laughs and pulls himself back up. Russia relaxes a little, but his muscles still feel tense.

America begins fiddling with something that Russia can't make out. He nudges America's arm. America chuckles.

"What?"

Russia tries to use his nose to point at the thing in America's hand.

"Oh! This? It's the prosthetic that Sippy and Bama made. It should get me walking again."

Russia wants to be happy, but his stomach begins to cramp.

Russia begins carefully getting to his feet. The people around him shuffle away and he walks toward the trees, smelling the air for the smell of deer hide.

'Deer should be easier than moose. Less risk of injury.'

"Wait!" Ohio calls.

Russia turns back, startled.

"Don't you want us to go with you?"

Russia shakes his head.

'I just need to eat.'

Eventually, he finds a few deer to slay and returns with one of them. He drops it at America's feet and retrieves the second.

Eating is a messy affair, and Russia tries not to eat too quickly. He keeps his distance from camp to avoid any unnecessary stress. He allows Finland to take some of the bones from under him. Finland hands them off to South Carolina to be sharpened.

He finishes what he thinks should be enough and licks away the blood that sticks to his face and paws.

They relax under the sun and Russia nuzzles up against some of the shivering states.

"Thanks, Papa," Texas says sleepily, coughing.

Florida curls up around his tail. Russia would've smiled. Brazil and Mexico also lean against him, looking miserable.

Russia purrs, both to show content and to comfort those around him. Kansas sits in front of him, and Russia begins licking his hair.

Kansas laughs.

"Now I know what a kitten feels like," he jokes.

Russia continues, letting Kansas get up and South Carolina takes his place. Russia hopes to convey that he still cares about them.

"Don't have to worry about packing a hairbrush now," North Carolina says quietly after taking her brother's spot.

Something sour catches Russia's attention, and he directs his nose down to North Carolina's lap. Russia smells the wound on her leg and flinches.

'It smells infected.'

He nuzzled at it and restrains himself from licking it.

'I don't want to make it worse.'

America stumbles over, his shoe half repaired around the wooden block.

"What's wrong?" America asks.

"Russia is pawing at my leg," North Carolina replies.

"Your leg... oh! Is it healing okay?"

"Well..."

"Okay, let me see," America says, sitting down on Russia's paw next to North Carolina.

North Carolina reluctantly pulls the bandages away and America jerks back. It smells bitter. Russia's nose crinkles.

"Sweetie..."

"It's okay, Dad."

"No, it's not, baby-girl. Care, you need to tell me if things are getting worse," America coos, sitting on the ground to her, "here. Gimme your leg."

"Dad, wait."

"What?"

"Is your magic okay for you to use it?"

"It's good enough. And you don't have to worry about me, that's my job."

Russia nuzzles America's side.

'And mine.'

'If only I could do it correctly.'

'Beam, you should not be doing this.'

America takes out a water bottle from his pack and rinses out the wound. North Carolina goes quiet, clinging tightly to Russia's face. Russia flinches at the pull on his whiskers and fur but doesn't pull away.

The smell of disinfectant fills the air, and by the tightening grip, Russia can tell they had just been used.

Russia purrs, trying to comfort her as a glow begins to grow under his face.

America groans and the blue begins to falter.

The light flickers out and America scrambles weakly to his feet, stumbling a few steps before falling to his hands and knees.

He crawls a few paces to some underbrush before heaving up toxic blue gunk. It's darker than Russia expected, but it still glows, casting sickly shadows on the trees.

Concern fills Russia's mind, but he restrains himself from standing up. The weight of Texas and Florida keep him rooted.

Finland stands and walks over to America. She uses her working arm to rub circles on his back as his frame shakes with coughing fits. Once the coughing begins to subside, America falls to the ground, shaking. Alberta joins Finland beside America, and together, they manage to drag America back to Russia's side.

America clings to him with shaky hands. Russia rubs his face against him, purring in a desperate attempt to make the situation better.

"Did it work?" South Dakota asks.

North Carolina climbs to her feet and walks a few steps.

"It's better now, at least," North Carolina replies, sitting back down.

"Dad needs to rest," North Dakota's voice rings out.

'I didn't know she could speak that loudly,' Russia's mind registers numbly under the concern clouding his mind.

Russia licks at America's face and hair.

'Eww. Hair gel.'

Russia continues, trying his best to brush the debris from the multicolored strands.

"Looks like we're going to be staying here until dusk," Mexico says.

"At the least," New Mexico adds.

"Don't correct me-"

"No fighting," Texas hoarsely chides, "just sleep or something while we've got a second."

Russia curls up around America and the states against his side.

'I need to keep them warm.'

America shivers and whines, weakly pulling at Russia's grey fur.

'I hope America doesn't get any worse.'

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.5K 427 23
[RUSAME/IN PROGRESS/ SEQUEL TO Pangea Academy's Number One!] ARC 1: The year passed quickly after the incident, things just seemed easy compared to w...
71.1K 2.2K 19
[RUSAME/COMPLETE -- SEQUEL IS OUT] What happens when a dangerously charming and bitterly sweet boy is pushed to the limits? Hell. America is #1 at...
155K 4.9K 11
It's been about thirty years since the breakaway of the USSR, and yet, still, Russia can't seem to find the courage in himself to move on. He is stuc...
2.1K 106 16
The British family were having the great time as they lived. Everything was filled with joy and happiness. Until this one very Frightening event came...