π„ππ“π‘πŽππ˜ ― d. grayson ΒΉ

By ladylorianz

❝ π˜›π˜Έπ˜ͺ𝘴𝘡 𝘡𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘡𝘰𝘳𝘺 𝘒𝘯π˜₯ 𝘣𝘳π˜ͺ𝘯𝘨 𝘨𝘭𝘰𝘳𝘺 𝘡𝘰 π˜ͺ𝘡. ❞ titans season one, two & three oc Γ—... More

π„ππ“π‘πŽππ˜
𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐨𝐧𝐞
β€· zero
β€· one
β€·two
β€· three
β€· four
β€· five
β€· six
β€· seven
β€· eight
β€· nine
β€· ten
β€· eleven
β€· twelve
β€· thirteen
β€· fourteen
β€· fifteen
β€· sixteen
β€Ώ seventeen
β€Ώ eighteen
β€Ώ nineteen
β€Ώ twenty
β€Ώ twenty-one
β€Ώ twenty-two
β€Ώ twenty-three
β€Ώ twenty-four
𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐭𝐰𝐨
β€Ώ twenty-five
β€Ώ twenty-six
β€Ώ twenty-seven
β€Ώ twenty-eight
β€Ώ twenty-nine
β€Ώ thirty
β€Ώ thirty-two
β€Ώ thirty-three
β€Ώ thirty-four
β€Ώ thirty-five
β€Ώ thirty-six
β€Ώ thirty-seven
𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐭𝐑𝐫𝐞𝐞
β€Ώ thirty-eight
β€Ώ thirty-nine
β€Ώ forty
β€Ώ forty-one
β€Ώ forty-two
β€Ώ forty-three
β€Ώ forty-four
β€Ώ forty-five
β€Ώ forty-six
β€Ώ forty-seven
epilogue
FINAL AUTHOR'S NOTE

β€Ώ thirty-one

489 20 10
By ladylorianz

Hank walked over Dick in silence. His face was blank, contributing no indication of what he would do next. Was he going to hug him for opening up? Kill him for keeping the secret? Maybe break down and blame everything on Dick, his entire five-year-old shit of life because of a mistake Dick had done.

The built man rushed his lasts steps, towering over Dick, who didn't dare to look at him, at any of them. Hank smashed his fist into his face, turning his head with the force. Dick stumbled away, startled. "Lying sack of shit!"

Dawn dragged her boyfriend away, pacifying him. She did not endorse Dick, only hoped to prevent the unnecessary fight. It was crystal-clear they did not agree with the lie that had harmed everyone in the room. Dick had said so himself: he lied to the new Titans because he was afraid they'd leave; the original Titans received a half-truth because he felt guilty for the kid's sacrifice.

A fucking kid had died. And Dick lied about it. Deathstroke nearly returned the favor with Jason because of that and they didn't know. They had been seeing things in black and white, Slade Wilson was evil and they were the good guys. Really, it was grey on both sides. The original and new Titans weren't perfect.

'Weren't' because it was explicit they all wanted out, no matter what team they formed. No one had done it yet, expecting for the bravest to stand up and walk away first.

"My brother's dead because of you," Rose seethed from her spot. Their attention turned to her, the girl who lived under the same roof as Jericho's cause of death. "I'm out."

And with that, it began. Jason stood from his chair and declared he was deserting with Rose. Dick tried to make him reason, it was one thing if Rose left, but Jason was part of the team. "You don't decide what I do anymore. What anyone does."

As the teens left to gather their belongings, Dawn and Hank stepped away from the group with determined faces. They had decided to leave, too, though they hadn't voiced it. Dianna gulped at the sight. Four people were out─ five.

Donna got to her feet. "I'm out, too."

How easy would it be to jump down the counter and leave? Well, that was actually the easiest part. Dianna couldn't leave. She was a nobody past these walls. A memory. A ghost. Her friends were leaving and she feared being left alone. What purpose was out there, for her, other than playing hero?

Rachel asked Donna if she could tag along. The woman agreed and they followed the beeline towards the bedrooms. Shit. Dianna wanted to call after them, somehow persuade them to stay, but she recognized their decision.

"Kind of messed up, Dick," Gar chocked out from beside her. She almost reached out to him, ordering him to stay. He couldn't leave her. Not her first friend. But the green-haired teen stayed sat down, also aching as everyone else left. Call her selfish, but Dianna was glad he was staying, no matter his reason.

Continuing the ditching streak, Zach slid off his chair, eyes glued to his phone. "Perfect timing. I've got business to solve." He didn't look at anyone. Not even Artemisia as he said his final words to her. Dianna didn't like his asshole behavior. She remembered him as a cool guy, but he was like that around her sister and Temi. "Call me when there's news."

"Zach─" Temi took a reluctant step toward him.

The man raised his gaze, looking at his friend. He glanced one last time at his phone, then lowered it as he focused on her. "Uh, you can come if you want. It's Florida. You wanted to visit there."

Dianna held her breath and wished. The universe heeded her pleas. Temi scrunched up her nose, slightly shaking her head. "No, I'm fine. Maybe another time. Good luck." Zach understood her vote and wandered away, distracted once again by his phone.

Kory strolled towards Dick, a regretful grimace drawn on her face. Temi approached the pair at the sight. It all seemed to point that she was leaving, too. Her reason did not seem to be Dick's dark secret.

"I got a loose end to take care of. Sorry," Kory explained to the duo. Gar glanced at Dianna, heaving out a sigh. Kory was everyone's favorite, especially during hard times. "At least the truth is out now. I'm sure they'll get over it soon."

Before leaving, the black woman turned towards the remaining teens and their discouraged faces. Her head tilted to a side, lips curling in thought. Dianna looked at her and smiled, wishing her safe travels. Gar gave a tired wave, dismissing her concern. With a last breath, the woman disappeared through the same arch as everybody else.

"I'm gonna take a walk," Temi blurted out after some seconds. Their heads snapped in her direction, then, her words were processed. They could manage an hour without her. She glanced at Dick, who bobbed his head. "Listen, it's good that you said it, even if it was late. Better now than many years later. That punch would've been harder."

Dick tried to joke along with her, but all he let out was a stifled breath. He darted his eyes away. Temi frowned and chose to let him process their situation. She turned over her heel and marched towards the elevator, hands tight by her sides.

Her eyes had followed Temi move into the small room, her face sinking behind the metal doors. She hadn't noticed Dick cruising over, leaning against the isle across from them. "Dianna, you okay?"

She'd been startled, spitting out the first sentence that crossed her mind. "So now you care what I think."

He flinched. She'd been too harsh. Shaking her head, she gave herself a second try. This whole situation made one memory pop. Her eyes scanned his face, reading what sort of answer he wanted. She got stuck by his nose, where a riverine of blood painted his skin after Hank's punch. He smudged the drying scarlet with the back of his hand.

"I can see how guilty you feel about Jericho's death, you were clearly a factor." Dick's head dropped at the mention of the name. He had begun the mourning process all over, once again by himself. Dianna cleared her throat, cutting his emotions short. "But I want to leave something clear, my death wasn't your fault, okay?"

"I don't know what you're─"

Dianna rolled her eyes dramatically. He was only bullshitting himself. "I saw it through Temi. It fucked you up." She nearly reached for him but recalled this whole thing was his responsibility. He didn't deserve compassion for lying, only less burden for the deaths that surrounded him. "You had no control over it. He attacked, then you fought him. There's nothing you could've done."

"That's the thing," Dick finally snapped. She'd drawn the last straw and everything settled back on his shoulders. It didn't matter that he spoke his sin. Jericho, Dianna, they were all on him. "I could have."

She scowled. "What'd you mean?" Dick ignored her, storming away. He headed towards his safe area: the surveillance room, where he would spend most of his nights with Temi. She called out for him, but he slammed the door. Dianna slumped on the counter. "Great. He's back to ignoring me."

"I can't believe that just happened." Gar opened up, dropping from the counter to serve himself some water. He glanced at Dianna and filled another one. They needed to swallow the lump of sadness. He passed her the glass. "Do you think they'll come back? Like, ever?"

"Let's hope so," Dianna reassured him with a smile, one she did not feel in her heart. "We still have Temi and Dick around. We'll be fine."

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

Artemisia had retreated to the Tower two hours after walking out. She'd been meditating too much. Her phone had remained untouched by her pocket. Messages from the team, if one could still call them that, flooded her notifications.

I didn't see you when we were leaving. This will have to do. Good luck and stay safe, Temi. Dawn.

Good to see you made it out. We'll keep in touch. Hank.

I hope you're not mad at me for leaving. Rachel.

Can you bring me some mint chocolate ice cream? I'm feeling down. Gar.

You alright? It's been an hour... Dick.

She sighed and responded to the last: I'm on my way back. But first, she went to scoop up Garfield's request. She couldn't leave the boy wishing. Taking the chance, she also picked Dick's favorite flavor; he might need it after the conversation she'd prepared, plus the already shitty day they'd had.

Artemisia replayed the planned dialogue in her head, acting out the nicest actions possible. She looked at her reflection in the elevator and smiled, preparing to confront Dick on her decision.

The doors opened. The first thing she noticed was him, sitting on the couch, head between his hands. He pried his gaze at the noise, eyes settling on her. A ghost of a smile came to his lips. He couldn't muster any positive feelings. She strode towards him silently, taking a seat by his side. "I was starting to get worried," Dick confessed as he rubbed his face.

"I lost track of time." Artemisia held herself in her arms, staring towards the once-packed kitchen. She lamented the chilling quietness of the apartment. It was a different place without the laughs, the mess, the fights. It felt like walking in for the first time. "The teens?"

"Gar went back to sleep. Dianna's listening to music," he paused as if thinking where the others were. A veil of sadness fell over his face. There wasn't anyone else in the building, only the four of them. "We won't talk to each other." Artemisia wanted to question why, but he turned the subject, predicting her upset. "Is that ice cream?"

She wouldn't push. If he did not feel like talking about his awful experience, then she'd leave it be until he was ready. Hopefully soon. "Yeah. One's for Gar, the other for you. It's cookies and cream."

Dick grabbed the bowl and stared at it like it was the most precious thing. The one good thing he could have. He looked at her, retaining that same shine. She beamed, giving him this moment. But it was as though he knew. Deep down, something told him this moment would drop its facade.

"I was thinking. . ." He closed his eyes and locked his jaw, rueing everything he had said and done. Artemisia glanced away from him, making it easier for herself. "We need a break. From everything. So, I'm leaving tonight."

"Can't you stay for a couple more days?" He tried persuading her to no avail. Her mind was set. The idea was cemented in her brain after those long hours of pondering.

She held back a cry. He was in denial but she wouldn't stay back because he couldn't control his surroundings. No one could. And yet, most had walked away, finding their new ways. "I don't want to find reasons to stay. I need this. Everyone does. The team isn't going forward. They don't need me. They don't need us."

"But Gar and Dianna─"

Artemisia rocked her head. He was amusing to listen; the stern Dick Grayson reduced to this hopeful and miserable man, nearly unrecognizable. "Dianna's nineteen. She's old enough to survive for one week or two." Her hand took hold of his arm, urging him to face her. "They'll be fine."

"And me?"

She couldn't bear his somber face. Letting go of him, she glanced down at her phone. Her bus departed at eight o'clock. There was still time. "You still have four hours with me."

He made them worth it, for himself, that was. Every passing second of them.

He volunteered to help her pack; he didn't do anything other than talk about anything but the team's ditching. She'd heard new anecdotes and old ones all over. Seeing him lost in the stories was comforting; accompanying him in the world of his visions, forgetting about the present.

Then, came the food ( earlier than usual, but he was willing to make that small adjustment for one day ). Dick had ordered pizza to honor their past on the road. Artemisia revived all the good times they'd shared while trying to save the world. If that had been his plan, to use melancholy against her, it had worked and she disliked it.

One hour and fifty minutes ticking close to her leaving time, he'd had the amazing idea of watching a movie. He'd tried to get her to lie down, make her drowsy, yet she predicted his trick and stayed seated with her back on the wall. It was very uncomfortable, her neck pained twenty minutes in. She wouldn't fall asleep.

She kept her brain working by commenting on random points, reaching for her Coke and a handful of popcorn every couple of moments. Her stomach had begun to hurt. Ten more minutes and it was over. She had to settle with the talking. Dick didn't mind the interruption, following her long chats, paying no attention to the movie.

"Want more soda?" Dick asked over Baby's father's acceptance; the main attraction of the film was over, they'd already danced. Talking was allowed since then. 

Artemisia felt a stung in her stomach. She shifted her position, applying less pressure to her lower organs. It gave her a second of relief. "I'm full."

"Why don't you use the bathroom?"

She thought it was obvious. They'd chosen a short movie because there wasn't much time left. If she got up, she wouldn't sit back down. She discretely peered down at the time on her phone. Fifteen minutes. She could push it. "I'll go in some minutes." She replied quickly, catching his eye.

"You can go." Dick nudged her playfully. These past hours, a drop of positivity had filled his heart. "I'm not going anywhere."

It was Artemisia's turn to be gloom. Her gaze dropped to her hands. "No, you're not. I am."

Dick looked at the time and sighed. It was the moment he had been dreading all along, being left alone. It didn't matter if two teens remained, they were mad at him, too, and would avoid him at all costs. "I don't want you to go," he whispered.

"I don't care," Artemisia deadpanned. He looked at her with wide eyes, heart smashing right before her. She did care. She wanted to stay, too, but the call to do something with her life was greater; she wouldn't wait around for the others. "Before I go, and I'm taking the coward's way here, there's some stuff to be said.

"I always thought the secret you were keeping from us had something to do with Garth's death. I don't know, maybe that you tried to avenge him and things went south. And I respected that." Dick rested his head on the wall and listened. "But it wasn't that. The secret was putting everyone in danger. We followed you blindly to San Francisco, while Deathstroke was preparing to take us down. I should've known part of it at least. 'We got Deathstroke's son killed while trying to get to him, he might still be mad about it.' I thought we trusted each other these things."

She got up and he mirrored her actions before she tried to walk away. He grabbed her hand, stopping her, then let go. "I was ashamed. But now that I told you guys, I realized hiding it doesn't make me better. I hope we can solve this. Sometime. When you come back."

"You work on that and when we see each other again, we'll rebuild this." She gestured to themselves, what remained of their relation; first times, long nights, sacrifices. All but trust, the main key. Taking a step back, she took him in one last chance. "I should get going."

"Is it time already?" They turned to find Dianna looming towards them. Her eyes were puffy, expression worn. Behind her came Gar, or a weird, depressing version of the boy they knew.

Artemisia lowered her head and nodded. Here came the toughest part. "Yeah. It's time."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.8K 228 8
β•°β”ˆβž€ π•šn which an experiment out of hundreds leaves margo caulder intangible, and dick grayson is the only one able to make her feel whole again, 𝘭π˜ͺ...
22.1K 685 46
Completed Cora has had a terrible life. She was experimented on by a lab. Once she escaped she was put into foster care. She had two foster parents...
152K 2.7K 147
Dick Grayson is not the easiest person to be around, but Cassie is probably the only person in the entire world who has been there for every single p...
65.5K 2K 31
" i feel like there is a void in me. one that is going to stuck up everyone around me and ruin them. " " there is so much more to you than the darkne...