HEART OF GOLD {KNJ}

By moonvanjoon

[FANTASY AU] My breath hitches as a twig snaps somewhere in front of me, finally bringing me back to my sense... More

Heart of Gold
Prologue
| 01 |
| 02 |
| 03 |
| 04 |
| 05 |
| 06 |
| 07 |
| 08 |
| 09 |
| 10 |
| 11 |
| 12 |
| 14 |
| 15 |
| 16 |
| 17 |
| 18 |
| 19 |
| 20 |
| 21 |

| 13 |

444 41 12
By moonvanjoon

Disagreements & Complications

EunAe rushes out of their room the next morning, her partner nowhere to be found.

"Is he back yet?" She asks, spotting a busy figure in the kitchen.

"Not yet dear." The older lady replies, offering a sympathetic smile as she hands her a plate. "But don't worry, I'm sure he is okay."

"I hope so." EunAe mutters under her breath, letting out a heavy sigh as she looks out the window.

"He'll come around when he is ready. Give him a little more time to sort himself out." She adds, placing a gentle and warm hand on the girl's shoulder.

"Right."

She clearly remembers falling asleep outside the cave, and yet, this morning she woke up in the comfort of their bed.

He must've come back. She tells herself. Otherwise how could I get here on my own?

A familiar friendly deep voice breaks her out of her thoughts.

"Morning," Taehyung greets with a wave of his hand. "I brought fresh eggs from the chicken coop."

"Thank you dear," his grandmother says kissing his cheek. "Go wash up. Breakfast will be out in a bit."

With a small bow, Taehyung disappears somewhere around the house, joining them back at the table moments later.

"Enjoy your meal." The grandmother says. "I'm going to pack up some food for later."

"Thanks grandma." Taehyung says, smiling at the girl sitting across from him.

"How are you today?" He asks, noticing the girl's tense form as she picks at her food.

"I'm okay." She reassures with a small smile. "Just not that hungry."

"I see." He says with a nod, speaking up after a brief pause. "Hey EunAe? Would you like to hang out? I'm free today so I could show you around if you want."

"Really? That would be really nice. I'd like that."

She could really use a distraction to get her mind off certain things.

"Awesome! Meet me outside when you're done then!"

Just like they agreed, when EunAe walks outside she sees Taehyung patiently waiting for her, hands fidgeting with the grass.

When he senses movement, he turns around with a smile, boxy grin in full display as he stands up.

"You ready to go?"

"Ready." She confirms with a nod, slightly jumping in surprise when Taehyung takes her hand.

"Come on. There's a place I want to show you."

"Okay." She says, smiling as the boy pulls her along.

Together they walk towards a canopy of trees, slowing down when they reach a beautiful thick tree with a tree house on top.

"Tadah! Here we are." He says.

"Is this yours?" She asks in amazement, admiring the house.

"Yes, grandfather and I built it a long time ago." He says proudly. "Look! There's even some swings if we go around the tree."

Without wasting another second, he gently grabs her wrist and pulls her along, stopping at the pair of swings, the two exchanging a smile before rushing to get on them.

"This is my hideout," Taehyung says, "I come here when I'm feeling sad or stressed or just when I need to get away for a bit."

"It's a beautiful place." EunAe says, her eyes fixed on the green leaves above them, swaying as the wind blows.

It's quite peaceful.

After a long pause, with just the sound of the ropes holding up the swings and the wind accompanying them, EunAe speaks up.

"Hey Taehyung? There's something I wanted to ask." When the boy doesn't object, she continues, "Your grandfather mentioned something about training, do you know anything about it?"

"Ah yes, training. Is that what's bothering you?"

"Among other things."

"Well, it's nothing to worry about. Just, as a partner of a mythical shifter, it's recommended that you get some training so that you can be prepared to defend yourself."

"As you probably already know, there are bad people out there that want to harm shifters. Grandfather said that the training is just in case you're in danger."

"I see."

"Though from what I saw, you're pretty good at taking apparently of yourself."

"Thanks I guess? But I have to admit I had no idea what I was doing at the time. We got lucky."

"Yeah, we did. But you have good instincts EunAe. With training you'll be able to do a lot more."

"Is he with Namjoon?"

Upon hearing her question, his eyes soften and his smile drops as he looks at the girl. "Yes."

"He is trying to help him as much as he can." He adds, the girl nodding along, her gaze fixed on the ground.

"Can you tell me more about shifters?"

"Sure, what do you want to know?"

"Everything and anything you can tell me."

"Are you up for some training?" Taehyung asks after a while, the girl smiling at his eagerness to get up and move around.

"Might as well get started." She says. "Just so we're clear, what kind of training will I be taking?"

"Just basic self defense and some tips and tricks to escape if you're ever in trouble."

"Do you have experience in fighting?"

"Well, technically not really, but if you count play fighting with the other kids of the village, then yes, I have a bit of experience."

"And...as you can probably tell, sometimes I get in trouble." He admits. "Mostly for exploring."

"Is that how you ended up with them?"

"Yeah. My curiosity got the best of me but I promise it usually isn't like that." He says with a sheepish grin, awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck.

"I believe you." She says with a chuckle.

"Before we begin, are there any weapons you are particularly interested in?"

▼△▼△▼△▼

After a few hours of training, the friends climb up to the tree house for a break, the boy sharing his snacks with her.

"Don't tell anyone about my snacks." He says.

"Don't worry, your secret is safe."

"I don't know about you, but I think this is enough training for one day." Taehyung says wiping his forehead.

"Yeah, I think so too." EunAe agrees, fanning her face with her hand, which doesn't do much to help.

Too tired to continue their conversation, the pair lays down on a blanket set over the wood and close their eyes, enjoying the breeze passing by.

"Taehyung?"

"Hmm?"

"Can I ask you something?" She asks, propping herself on her elbows as she looks at him.

Raising a curious brow, the boy opens his eyes as well, offering a small smile when he sees the look on her face.

"I don't mind if you ask about her." He says.

"How did you know?"

"I figured it was a matter of time before you noticed her absence." He says.

"Sorry."

"It's alright, I don't mind. I like thinking about her." He says.

"She was from our village so we met at an early age. In that sense we were luckier than most. We always played together and went on small adventures out in the forest but we got separated when we were really young," he explains, "I don't know where she went, one day she was just gone."

"Do you still feel the connection?"

"Yes. It's mostly faded by now but it's still there. I know she's somewhere out there. I've tried looking for her, but, as you can see I haven't succeeded yet."

"I'm sure you'll find her Taehyung," she says taking his hand, giving it a slight squeeze as he closes his eyes and takes a deep breath. "I'll do whatever I can to help."

"Thanks EunAe." Taehyung says, wiping his hands on his linen pants as he stands up.

"Come on, I'll give you a ride back."

"Wait, you mean..."

"Yup, fastest way to get back home." He says offering his hand. "Make sure to hold on tight."

As soon as her grip is secured, the griffin shifter changes form, running a few steps before jumping out of the tree house, extending his wings and flying up into the air, the tree house now visible below them.

Much like he said, they arrive back to the house in no time, the girl's heart pounding on her chest they land.

"That was amazing Taehyung!"

"It's nothing really," he says lowering his gaze to the grass, "but thanks."

EunAe can't help but being amazed by the boy in front of her. He is such a free spirit, and is so comfortable with who he is, making her wonder if Namjoon might be able to feel free like him some day.

She hopes so.

"Thanks for helping me train."

"Of course! With practice you'll master it in no time!" He says. "Though I really hope you don't need to use it."

"Yeah, let's hope so."

"Well, I'm going to wash up first."

With that, the boys leaves her alone with her thoughts once more.

Perhaps she should get some studying done while she waits for him, after all, she still has much to learn about dragons.

Some time later, her head snaps up when she hears the door open, her heart skipping a beat when she sees him enter.

"Hey, you're back," she says, lips pressed into a tight line as she offers him a small smile.

The only response that she gets from him is a brief "hey" before he disappears into his room.

Frowning, she follows behind him, leaning on the door to give him some space.

"What's going on?"

"Nothing, I'm just tired." He replies.

"Is everything okay?"

"I'm fine."

"You know, I can't help you if you don't tell me what's going on."

"It's nothing." He says with a sigh. "Do you have the journal?"

"Yes." She says handing it to him. "You know, I found something really interesting today. Did you know that there are different types and species of dragons?"

Namjoon raises a brow at the comment, jaw clenched as he looks at her.

"Is this fun?"

"Huh?"

"Is this fun for you?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean that this is something serious and real, not just some fairytale."

"I just want to help you." EunAe says, taken aback by his response.

"I don't want your help, I'll figure it out on my own."

"I don't understand."

"I'm not sure this is what I want."

"What?"

"I just, I need time to figure some things out." He says, letting out a sigh through his nose as he pinches the bridge of his nose. "I'm leaving."

EunAe's mouth opens in surprise, closing a few times as she thinks of something to say, coming up with nothing in the end.

"I'm sorry, you deserve better EunAe." He says as he packs his things. "Maybe this wasn't meant to be."

"Namjoon wait!" She says, finally coming to her senses.

Everything is happening so fast. One minute everything was fine, and now, what is she supposed to do?

"Can we please talk about this?" She insists, refusing to let him go like this.

"There's nothing to talk about." He says.

"Did I do something wrong?"

"No. Just leave me alone."

"Don't come looking for me please." He adds, looking at her over his shoulder before he makes his way to the forest, the girl's knees giving out once he is out of sight.

"What happened?" The grandmother asks.

"He left." EunAe says, barely managing to keep her tears at bay.

"I just wanted to help but I made things worse." EunAe says burying her face in her hands. "I got so ahead of myself that I didn't consider his feeling as well. He must be struggling so much."

"Oh dear." She says wrapping her arms around the girl, gently patting her back as she lets her tears fall. "Give him time. I may not know what's he's going through, but I know he'll figure it out."

"I hope so."

Can they really work it out? What exactly happened to make him do this?

He has to have a reason. If there is one thing EunAe knows, is that Namjoon cares deeply about other people. He is kind and compassionate. There has to be something she is missing.

But for now, for his sake, she'll give him his space.

Beginning a new month with an update. Thank you for reading, hope you enjoyed!
~Van
(2021.10.01)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

174 26 13
"Aren't you scared?" "Not at all" I said with full pride. "...aa..are you?" "WATCH OUT BEHIND YOU!!" I held on tight to his shirt and shoved my face...
162 10 2
One gloved hand lifted towards my face, a single finger curling under my chin and dragging my gaze back to his. Once again, I found myself sucked int...
136K 5.9K 35
My name is Grey Mercy, it's like my parents knew I was going to be one of them. You see the world I live in 1% of the population can't see color unle...
5.9K 154 51
~Because the worst storm that could happen,is being alone when you think that you have everyone in place~ 🏵🏵🏵🏵 Suddenly, i f...