Care to Command

By TheBluntWeirdo

Office rivals fight for the same promotion, while resisting their attraction for each other. LAYLA masks her... More

1 No Shame
2 Blue Bikini
3 Shower
4 Business Trip
5 Social Butterfly
6 Maraschino Cherries
7 Lesbihonest
8 Tattoo
9 Dad
10 Italian
11 Training
12 Sit
13 Her Jealousy
14 His Jealousy
15 Friends
16 Restaurant
17 Ice Cream
18 Snake
19 Sandwich
20 Deep
21 Confrontation
22 Two of You
23 Arabian Night
24 Unsure
25 Stuck
26 Details
27 Perspective
28 Show Me
29 Natural
30 Onions
31 Bees
32 Come Over
33 Multitask
34 Are You For Real?
35 Thank You
36 Proud
37 For Us
38 Mindless
39 Shirt
40 Good Morning
41 Comfort
42 Help
43 Party's Over
44 Let Me In
45 Last Words
46 Halloween
47 Banter in Bed
48 Special
49 Crazy
50 Doubt
51 Numb
52 Release
53 Breathe
54 Girls
55 Wait For Me
56 Anima Gemella
57 Power
58 Safe
59 Study Buddies
60 Dominant
62 Meant For You
Bonus Chapter: We Saw a Therapist
Bonus Chapter: Fifty Shades of Layla

61 Birthday Boy

43K 1.8K 1K
By TheBluntWeirdo

It's a rainy Thursday morning.

Lucas is already at the restaurant, but I'm a lazy bum in bed, enjoying the pitter-patter on my window.

When my phone rings, I'm ready to tell him to come cuddle, but it's not him. "What's up, Shush?"

"Hey, Layla! It's Lev." A deep voice startles me from the other end and I panic.

"Is Shush okay? What's wrong?"

"I'm right here!" Her excited voice jumps in, telling me I'm on a speaker as Lev speaks. "We need your help. It's Lucas's birthday today—"

"What?!" I scowl. "It is? Why didn't he tell me?"

"I don't know, maybe because you're both busy," he says. "I don't think he's even thought about it. His dad used to make a big deal out of birthdays."

"Okay..." I feel so guilty now! I haven't called or texted him. I don't even have a gift!

"Anyway, that's why we're throwing a surprise party tonight. We need you to kick him out of the restaurant for like twenty minutes to set up."

"How the fuck am I supposed to throw him out of his own restaurant?" Are they dumb?

Lev hands the phone to Shush. "Layla, girl... use your power of femininity. Seduce him, throw him in the supply room and—" Lev yells that he doesn't want to hear those details and she laughs. "You get what I'm talking about."

Yeah, except I can't lie to him about that. Not after he told me he doesn't want to push me until I'm ready.

"He's crazy about you." Shush says, sensing my hesitation. "He'll do anything if he knows it'll make you happy. Trust me."

"Alright..." I groan, sitting up. "What's the plan?"

The plan is for them to come at 6 and 'set up.' When I ask who's 'them,' they don't specify, which is just great.

I tell Lucas that I have a last minute client call and that I'll be late, then go to the mall to find him a last minute gift. My anxiety is bubbling and I'm growing furious with Shushan.

After ten, twenty or fifty stores, I land in a dim boutique that oozes of masculinity and find a gift for him that is also for me. It's enough to make me excited about tonight.

I pack an outfit with heels, do my usual hair and makeup, then put on black sweats with a hoodie before heading to the restaurant.

"You look comfy." Lucas smiles when I walk in and scoops me in his arms, lifting my feet off the ground. He squeezes the death out of me before putting me down.

"You look... " I trail off, distracted by his long sleeve, white shirt that outlines his muscles. "Too hot. You look too hot. Go change."

He chuckles and puts me in a headlock, ruffling my hair. I grunt, pushing my butt out to escape, but he starts to tickle me.

"I'll kick you in the balls!" I scream and he lets go, gives me a naughty smirk, and with mega-speed, flies his hand to tickle then jerks it back.

"I'm on my period." I lie, crossing my arms. "So be nice to me."

"Aw... come here." He cups my face and pulls me close, kissing my forehead. "Pussy."

I punch him in the stomach and he laughs.

"How's your day going?" I try be nonchalant as he walks me to my usual table.

"Good." He stares as I pull out my laptop to set up. "Every day with you is a good day."

Any other time this would make me melt, but today is his birthday and it's a little sad. Why didn't he tell me? We could've celebrated. Hell, he could've used it to his advantage.

Maybe that's why he didn't tell me? So I don't feel burdened?

"What's on your mind?" He asks when I stare with a titled head.

"Nothing... I just... PMS." I focus on my laptop, feeling guilty for lying to him.

"Don't worry, I got you." He turns to go to the kitchen. "I'll make you some nice, peach tea in a fancy cup." He walks behind the island and widens his eyes dramatically. "If you do your work, I'll even give you some cookies."

Oh, you're definitely getting my cookies.

"Sound good?" He smiles, filling the tea kettle with water.

"Yes, sir."

~

I need to cry.

Shush and Lev are thirty minutes away and I need to cry so Lucas feels bad and leaves to buy me ice cream.

"Think, think..." I whisper, knowing he's too far to hear me. "Remember when you were an uptight bitch working for Grant and no one loved you? That was sad, right? So sad..."

Nothing.

"Remember when you asked Gia if she was new but she was working with you for over a year? How embarrassing, right?"

Nope.

"Remember when your dad didn't call you on your birthday and then gave you that shitty gift? Let's not even mention your mom, she's basically nonexistent. You have nobody!"

"Are you okay?" Lucas asks and I nod.

"Just prepping for a meeting!"

I type 'videos that make you cry' and watch some short films where a homeless man gets killed protecting someone's store, a disabled son gets a piggy back ride on his mean father's shoulders, and a little girl writes a letter for her overworked, single dad. But nothing works.

Okay, think. What makes Layla cry?

Oh, no. Are we... are we going to go there?

Slowly, I type the name of a cartoon where an abused pitbull befriends an abandoned kitten. The kitten is threatened by the pitbull who tries to play with her, but she scratches him. She hides from the pitbull until later he limps out of the house, beaten to exhaustion. She helps him escape and the two run away, then...

My throat starts to tighten.

A random stranger gives the kitten some food then the pitbull timidly comes forward. The stranger is scared, but the kitten rubs against the pitbull's leg, settling by his feet, which makes the stranger realize he's harmless.

My eyes start to blur and I sniffle.

He flinches as the stranger extends her hand, but as she gently pets his head, the pitbull leans into her touch and opens his eyes.

"Why!" I sob. "Why are people so cruel?"

Lucas turns his music off and rushes towards me, I switch my screen to a spreadsheet.

"What's wrong?" He sits next to me, one hand on the table and the other on my chair.

"Nothing... it's just, I cry on my period when I think of everything that's wrong in the world." Thank God that's not a lie.

"Okay, how can I help." His eyebrows furrow.

"Do you..." I wipe my eyes with the sleeve of my hoodie. "Do you have some ice cream?"

"Yeah."

FUCK!

"Is it... is it chocolate ice cream?" I bet it's not.

"Yeah, we have chocolate ice cream."

"I don't like chocolate."

"W-what... you told me every other flavor tries too hard!"

"I've changed!" I cover my face. "I'm a grown woman now. I don't discriminate."

"Okay... what flavor do you want?"

"Do you have strawberry?" I ask sheepishly.

"Yeah, I do."

"Pistachio?" I squeak.

"Yup, that too."

"Peanut butter?" My voice breaks.

"No."

"That's it." I choke. "That's what I want."

"Okay..." Lucas chuckles nervously. "Okay, I'll go get you peanut butter ice cream, then."

"Thank you." I mumble. I'm so sorry for lying and making you go out in the rain, I don't even like peanut butter ice cream.

"Anything else?" He stands up, towering over me. I shake my head. "Okay, then come here."

He walks me around the kitchen island and takes a set of keys from the counter. Then he unlocks one of the drawers and pulls out a gun.

"What the—" My eyes go wide as he holds the gun and looks at me.

"I'm going to teach you how to use this and you're going to lock up when I leave. Got it?"

"Why? Are you stealing ice cream from the Russian mafia?"

He snorts. "Relax, you can handle it."

"A deadly weapon?" I scowl.

"Yeah, aren't you used to it?" He says with a smirk and a dirty glint in his eyes.

Then he shows me how to hold the super heavy gun — Springfield 1911 A1 or something — tells me how to caulk it — whatever that means — how to aim and reload — not happening — and how to use the safety on and off switch — no idea where the switch is.

"You got it?"

"I'll just throw the gun at their head and run."

"No." He chides, eyes stern. "I'll take you to the gun range later so you can practice, you need to know how to protect yourself."

"Okay, I really need ice cream right now, but I'll learn how to shoot and kill later, okay?"

"Fine." He rolls his eyes and continues to lecture as he shows me how to lock up. Then he steps outside in the rain, waits for me to do as instructed before he finally leaves.

I put the gun back in the drawer and lock it, shaking my head at how he calls me crazy...

Then I shimmy for being such a sneaky mafia who just tricked a 6'4 Marine! I can technically take over his restaurant with his own gun. But I won't.

Ten minutes later Shush texts me that they're here and I unlock the doors.

"Let's get started!" Lev booms, marching in with grocery bags. Shush is right behind, shivering as she gives me a hug.

"Hey, wildcat." Ashton follows in with Kai, holding two cake boxes. "Where's the birthday boy?"

"I sent him on an errand to get me ice cream." I tilt my chin proudly.

"Whipped." He smiles, then leans in to whisper. "By the way, thanks for telling me you have such a hot friend—"

"Who—" I ask but then dazzling Gia dances in and realization sinks in. "Sorry, she's engaged."

"Damn it." He mutters. "Fine, we'll have to share Lucas, then."

"Please tell me you brought a change of clothes." Gia looks at my sweats as she pulls me into a hug.

"Oh yeah." I wiggle my eyebrows. "I got a red dress guaranteed to give Lucas blue balls—"

"Manners, honey." Fiona scolds, entering. "Don't be mean to my son."

"I'm sorry." I laugh and go for a hug. "But you should tell him, he always looks so hot."

"He does, doesn't he?" She gloats, pulling back. "Imagine your babies—"

"Too soon!"

We push all the tables next to the walls and empty the center for dancing. The guys have brought an entire store of alcohol and are setting up a bar on the kitchen island.

Meanwhile, the girls set up disco lights with sound activated colors that change with the beat of the music.

Kai puts a large speaker in the corner and we connect it to our phones. Gia plays upbeat music that's vanilla enough for family and tells me we'll party for real when everyone leaves.

"Why do we have two cakes?" I ask as Ashton puts candles on only one of them.

"Tradition." He suppresses a smirk. "You'll see."

"When's he coming back?" Fiona asks.

At that moment, the door gets knocked and we turn to see Grant with his wife, holding balloons and a gift bag.

"Oh fuck, I need a drink." I mutter to Gia and she grabs a bottle of tequila right away.

"They won't stay for too long, don't worry." Fiona whispers. "Also, Grant might not act right in the business world, but he knows better than to mess with my family."

Comfort soaks in from her reassuring smile and I decide that I don't need tequila after all.

Valeria and little Nina come in, then a minute later, Ashton's sister with Nora in her arms who's holding an umbrella over their heads.

We exchange quick formalities and I find more confidence as I realize Grant's actually nervous around me. He asks me about my business and chats about my recent work, but Fiona gently pulls him to the side, reminding him it's not the right time for work talk.

I realize I'm still in my freaking sweats and grab my purse to go to the bathroom with Gia, who touches up my makeup after I change.

The dress is a one-shoulder silhouette with an elegant bow that drapes on the back of my shoulder. It has a fitted waist and reaches my knees with a sultry thigh-high split.

Gia tousles my curls, adds a shimmer to my cheekbones and a foxy eyeliner.

"Red lipstick?" She asks and I shake my head.

"Look who's here!" Lev yells outside and everyone cheers. My heart flips in my chest.

"He's here!" I whisper and Gia rushes me out. I step out of the bathroom, but I'm behind everyone else who's surrounding Lucas.

The poor guy's hair is drenched and he's holding a bucket of peanut butter ice cream with a 'what the fuck?" look on his face.

"Where's Layla?" He asks.

"She's getting ready, calm down." Ashton waves his pinched fingers. "You can't go one minute without seeing her, you whipped fuck."

"Don't be mean to my son, Ashton!" Fiona warns.

"Happy Birthday!" Shushan shouts and everyone realizes that's what they should do too.

Lucas gives a half-hearted smile, searching all over the place as everyone hugs him. Finally his eyes land on me and he playfully glares, shaking his head.

"Oops." I murmur to Gia. "I think I'm in trouble."

"You better make up for it then." She opens her arms as he approaches us. "Happy birthday, Lucas!"

"Thanks, Gia. This is such a nice surprise." He seems much more relaxed and genuinely smiles, before he deadpans at me. "You."

"I'll go get a drink." Gia laughs and abandons me.

"Happy birthday." I play the puppy dog card.

He bites his amusement and rolls his eyes. I slowly do a circle to show off my outfit.

"You like?" I ask, blushing from his unmoving attention as he glues his eyes on me. The chatter of everyone around muffles and suddenly all I can focus on is him.

"I love." He murmurs in a deep, husky voice. "Thank you for the surprise."

"Oh, this was Lev's idea, I was just helping." I take his hand and lead him to the supply room. "I have a different surprise."

Lucas lets me take him inside and lock the door behind us. I'm sure a few guests notice, but I don't care. I take out the little black box I stashed in one of the storage drawers earlier.

"Fuck..." Lucas groans behind me and I look over my shoulder to see him leaned against the wall, drinking me in. His captivated, dark gaze lingers on my black heels, moving up my legs. He bites his lip and knits his eyebrows as his eyes stay on my butt.

I make my way towards him with a small sway to my hips, coyly smirking under my lashes.

"I got you something." I lift the box between us.

"Thank you..." he sighs, taking it. "But you didn't have to get me anything..."

"I hope you like it." I grow nervous as he opens the box and gently takes out a silver chain necklace with a single rose pendant.

It has intricate detailing on its stem, three delicate leaves and finely layered petals.

Lucas places it in his palm and gently studies it, fingers huge and clumsy in contrast with the pendant. I shift from one leg to another.

"I know it's a rose, but it's designed for men, plus you can hide it under your shirt. I got it because it symbolizes passion and... I thought if you ever feel down or don't know what to do, it can remind you to follow your passion."

"It's also a symbol of you." He lifts his lashes to look at me, striking me speechless with the intimacy and openness in his calm eyes. Time, space and everything dissolves. "I love you."

"I love you too." I murmur and his eyes widen. He blinks a couple of times and I laugh nervously, clasping my hands behind my back. "Okay, put it on. There's more."

"More? Damn, I feel so special." He chuckles and brings the silver chain around his neck, clasping it from the back. He dips his chin to look at the pendant then gives me crooked, boyish grin.

I wrap my finger around his chain and pull him down to me. "It's also... your leash." I smirk and kiss his lips.

~ A/N ~
(Okay, pretty sure the next chapter will be the last one?) So, let's party everyone!
Also, I have a little gift for you at the start of chapter one to show my appreciation. ❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

203K 6.4K 45
Joey got up off my bed and made his way out of the room, stopping before he exited. "For the record, if we had of had sex, there's no way you wouldn...
267K 10.7K 21
°°°°° "I walked over to where Aaron was sitting on the ground, kneeling so that I was face-to-face with him. He was wearing a blank expression on his...
21.7K 861 11
[Updates Weekly] An enemies-to-lovers romantic comedy. *** Gemma Colson, a no-nonsense, NYC food critic, is well on her way to the top of her career...
396K 10.3K 57
"Her troubled eyes held fire. The kind of fire that was capable of burning me to ash." ***** I grabbed her chin with my free hand, making her look at...