A Court of Song and Shadow

By haleythespeed

During the first war against Hybern 500 years in the past, the daughter of the night court journeys through t... More

Announcements
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Epilogue
Acknowledgements

Chapter 46

5.6K 256 172
By haleythespeed

I fall back into my bed after the battle and I stare at the top of the tent for what feels like hours before changing from my Illyrian armor into more comfortable clothes and I wash off my blood-covered Illyrian blade. I open my wardrobe and ignore Tanwyn's shield and the Valkyrie diadem that sit all the way in the back as I place my weapons inside. I close the doors and I begin cleaning some fruit as I hear men with unfamiliar accents speaking outside of my tent--I feel a familiar sense of panic rise up through me but I push it down when I realize they were not Hybern soldiers. Rhysand had informed me earlier that most of the other High Lord's and their courts arrived on the battlefield today so it was one of the other court's men that spoke and laughed outside of my tent right now. I have not actually seen any of the other High Lord's, but they were most likely camped in a safer place than where we were currently stationed. I decide to leave my tent and explore the new soldiers that have begun to set up camp here, and something in me lightens up when I see all different soldiers from every court--laughing and chatting.

I step out of the tent and as I walk--I notice the stares of the soldiers. The Illyrian's have gotten somewhat used to my presence but I forgot many other court's do not allow their women to fight either. I look away from Autumn Court soldiers when I notice their harsh stares at me, and I look to the group of Day Court soldiers approaching me. I reach for my dagger at my side.

"We just wanted to say how amazing you were on the battlefield today." One of the men says with a bright smile--a genuine smile.

"Thank you." I bow my head towards them in respect.

"You were one of the best warriors out there fighting, how did you do that move where you were able to cut down five guards in just three moves?" A younger soldier asks me in excitement and I let out a laugh that quickly fades when I remember where I had learned that move.

"The Valkyrie taught me it." I say softly.

"It is horrible what happened to them," One of the men says, and I can tell he is genuine about it and the Day soldiers around him agree. I thank them once more before continuing to walk away--not wanting to talk about the Valkyrie. I find myself petting some of the horses tied to the posts outside, and I make a face when I notice they do not even have any water. I begin walking to one of the sheds where I know they keep water buckets, and I quickly open the door.

I freeze as I take in a dark skinned man taking back his hand from a fair red-headed lady.

"Oh--I am sorry. I just came in for--" I cut myself off when I notice the amount of power radiating from the man, and I realize he was a High Lord. I take in his golden armor and his dark skin and realize he was the High Lord of the Day Court. I quickly look to the lady who was most certainly not from the Day Court--from her pale skin and red hair I can only assume she was from the Autumn Court. The Autumn Court most certainly did not allow women to fight in their army and there would not be a Lady of the Autumn Court here unless she was in the High Lord's family, and since I did not recall any daughters of the High Lord of Autumn then that must mean--

"Oh." I say when I realize and they both look at me with wide eyes, the High Lord--the very handsome High Lord--shuts the door behind me and then we are all trapped in darkness. He opens his hand and it lights up the shed. "I just need a bucket."

"Who are you?" The man narrows his eyes at me and places one of his hands on his sword at his side.

"Velaris." I smile at both of them and let out a giggle, "You two can introduce yourselves but I have already figured out who you are."

"Velaris?" The High Lord asks as if he knows my name, "The Valkyrie Velaris?"

"Um," I look to the lady to see if she knows what he is talking about but she just looks frightened, "Sure?"

"We have heard stories of you in the Day Court--word spreads fast and there are some who are already making poems and songs about you and the last battle with the Valkyrie." He smiles at me.

"Helion--" The lady pinches his arm and he looks to her offended and then he opens his mouth as he realizes that I just discovered what I assume to be a love affair.

"I won't say anything." I say to both of them and I lean in to the lady, "I would cheat on my husband with him too."

Helion lets out a laugh as I watch the Lady of Autumn's face relax, "My name is Aurelia."

"Well it is lovely to meet both of you." I smile at them and they look at each other and then back at me. "I am sorry--this is the first time I am meeting a High Lord who is not my father or The Spring Court's High Lord."

Helion raises his eyebrows at me, "You are Rhysand's sister?"

"I am! You know my brother?" I ask excitedly.

"Unfortunately." Helion grins at me and I giggle at him--giggle. I shut my mouth and clear my throat, and look between them both.

"Right, you two looked like you were in the middle of an important conversation so I will just go--"

"Wait!" Helion grabs my arm to stop me and I look at his muscled hand holding my arm and calm my heart rate. "Do you mind walking Aurelia back to her tent? I would but--"

"You do not want to get caught?" I cross my arms as I look at him.

"Exactly." He gives me a grin that reminds me of Cassian and I look to Aurelia and give her a polite smile. She smiles back but I can tell there is something very wrong with her. I slowly open the door and make sure there is nobody watching us as Aurelia and I make our way out of the shed first. We begin walking in the direction where her tent is.

"I do not want you to worry that I will tell anyone--I despise the High Lord of your court so I will not be informing him of anything." I say to her, and she gives me a small smile. I silently curse myself as I realize I was just speaking about my husband. My shadows peak out behind me at her, and her eyes widen when she sees them.

"You are a Shadowsinger?" She asks, but not in fear--in curiosity.

"I am." I smile at her. Usually people fear my shadows, but she looked at them with a smile and fire in her eyes. My shadows observe her for a moment before dancing around her, and she lets out a giggle as they float around her. They pause at her stomach and my eyebrows raise when I realize why they pause there.

"Congratulations." I smile at her, and she places a hand on her stomach and looks to me in surprise.

"How did you know?" Aurelia asks, her voice shaking.

"Apparently my shadows can sense it." I observe my shadows, and they seem to dance in excitement--they stop when they sense Aurelia's fear, "Haven't you had six sons already? Why do you seem frightened?"

"I--" She cuts herself off and looks down at the ground, and I open my mouth to speak again but quickly close it when I realize she does not need to open up to me considering we just met minutes ago. I look to her again to observe her as we walk and the shadows in her eyes tell me all I need to know about what she is upset about the baby growing in her stomach.

It was not her husband's baby.

"I know we just met, but if you ever need a friend to talk to or someone to help you escape from somewhere-- I am here." I give her a small smile and she looks to me with gratefulness in her eyes.

"Thank you, Velaris, for your kindness." She smiles a genuine smile at me as she opens her tent flap, she waves farewell and I watch her place a hand on her stomach and smile at it as she disappears within her tent.

I have never thought about having children--or a family of my own. A small part of me deep down becomes ecstatic at the thought of having children of my own. I would be a god awful mother but I know I would kill anyone if they were to harm my future children--it will not be for a long while but I would like to have maybe one or two children. I would never have as many as Aurelia, but something tells me she did not get to choose how many she wanted. I smile as I walk back to my tent--something tells me that her newest child would be her favorite out of all of them.

I slow my walking when I see Helion leaning against a post for me and smirks when he sees me, "I have something to show you."

"Are you not in love with Aurelia?" I ask him.

"I did not mean it like that," He shakes his head, "You Illyrians and your filthy minds."

"You said it that way!" I point out as I begin to follow him.

"I would not be opposed if you wanted to join us in bed one evening though." Helion throws me a wink and I let out a laugh. I think of how Aurelia was just as beautiful as Helion--I would not be opposed either.

"Maybe I would, but I have a mate of my own." I say without thinking, and my eyes widen at what I just realize I admitted--to a stranger.

"Congratulations," Helion pats me on my back and I almost fall over at his strength, "Whoever he is--or she--is extremely lucky to have such an attractive mate."

"He actually does not know." I admit, "Nobody does, I have no idea why I just told you."

"I have that effect on women--and men." He gives me that stupid grin again and I make a face at him. I watch silently as he opens the stable doors and takes me to the very back--my heart drops when I see a familiar red Pegasus.

"I found her as I was taking care of my own Pegasi--she must have found her way to my herd after the battle. She had some nasty wounds that my healers healed right away--I had heard the stories about the Valkyrie and the Pegasi and had assumed you would know her." Helion explains to me.

"Sigrun." I whisper with tears forming in my eyes, I fling the gate open and run to take her face in my hands. She lets out a whinny and I somehow hear comfort in it. She rests her muzzle on my face and I lean the top of my head against hers. "She won't be coming back."

I wonder if Sigrun understood that her rider would never mount her again--if she can sense that kind of loss.

"They understand." Helion says to me. "They understand loss and pain as much as we do."

"Thank you." I say to him, and I mean it with every inch in my body.

"Of course--she belongs to you now after all," Helion says softly, "You are the last Valkyrie."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

72K 3.4K 96
While there has been some form of peace in Prythian for several years, an unexplainable darkness has begun to find its way over the Fae lands, with a...
129K 4.7K 33
When a face Azriel wished he could forget ends up half dead on the edge of Velaris, questions arise about their dark past. Especially when she posses...
58.1K 1.8K 18
𝐄𝐫𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐩𝐡𝐨𝐛𝐢𝐚: 𝐅𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬. She saw herself as one could view the moon. Isolated from everyone, alone in the da...
26.2K 712 44
AN: An A Court of Thorns and Roses Fanfiction. This is the a prologue to ACOTAR. The untold story of Rhysand's sister. Azriel x OC A history regardi...