The Red Queen (Editing)

由 lightning1057

The Eldest daughter of Floki the Boatbuilder becomes the best friend of the sons of Ragnar. She goes with the... 更多

Meet the Characters
Prologue
Invasion
Treachery
Eye for an Eye
Answers in Blood
Unforgiven
Blood Eagle
Boneless
The Lord's Prayer
Act 2
Mercenary
Warrior's Fate
Scarred
The Userper
Born Again
Breaking Point
Act 3
A Good Treason
Kill the Queen
Mercy
Yol
Promised
The Profit and the Loss
Portage
The Last Ship
The Outsider
The Vision
Two Journeys
In the Uncertain Hour Before the Morning
All His Angels
Crossings
The Great Army
Revenge
On the Eve
The Reckoning
Act 4
The Departed Pt1
The Departed Pt2
Homeland
The Plan
The Prisoner
The Message
Full Moon
The Joke
A Simple Story
Moments of Vision
The Revelation
Murder Most Foul
A New God
The Lost Moment
Hell
The Buddha
The Most Terrible Thing
Baldur and Yrsa
What Happens in the Cave
Ragnarok
Act 5
New Beginnings
The Prophet
Ghosts, Gods, and Running Dogs
All the Prisoners
The Key
Death and The Serpent
The Ice Maiden
Valhalla Can Wait
Resurrection
The Best Laid Plans
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20

What Might Have Been

3.1K 75 5
由 lightning1057

Lagertha had arrived, prepared for Paris. You were nothing but happy to see the woman as she greeted you with hugs.

She had began to train you for battle in case you needed to defend yourself and she was shocked that within a day, you could disarm her.

You sat in Floki's lap as Ragnar stood from his throne for the speech he was to give.

"Firstly, I want to announce that we leave for Paris in three weeks to the day."

Everyone, including you, cheered loudly in excitement. Your first raid, first time on the sea. You couldn't be more excited

"But today is today, and we are here to preform an important ceremony! In which, my two boys, Ubbe and Hvitserk will revive their sacred arm rings!"

Ubbe and Hvitserk moved to stand in front of their father with eager smiles. You could tell Aslaug wanted to speak but decided against it, as to not anger Ragnar.

"Kneel."

The boys did as told and kneeled in front of Ragnar's throne. Bjorn held a sword in front of them as Ragnar grabbed a pinch of salt and a pinch of dirt, sprinkling it on the sword.

"Take this offering of earth and salt to remind you that you belong both to the earth and the sea."

Ubbe and Hvitserk licked both the dirt and salt as Ragnar sat back down and held out two arm rings.

"These arm rings symbolize your coming of age. They also bind you in loyalty and fealty to me, your King and your father. Any oath you swear upon these rings must be kept, or else you will sacrifice your honour and your place in Valhalla. Do you understand?"

"Yes, Father." The two boys answered

"Do you swear so?"

"Yes, Father."

Ragnar handed them the arm rings which they quickly put on, eager to be considered a man.

As soon as the arm rings were on, everyone applauded. They moved to Aslaug, earning a quick kiss from their mother. It was tradition for the leading woman to kiss any young man who had just earned their arm ring.

You stood as the boys ran to hug you in celebration, all of you laughing and cheering. Ubbe and Hvitserk tackled you in a bear hug. You squealed as they spun you around before they tripped and you all fell to the ground, laughing.

-

Three weeks later, the boats were loaded and would be leaving soon. You currently were saying goodbye to Ivar, Sigurd and Aslaug.

"Alright, Ivar!" You said as you kneeled beside his chair. "I have to go. But I will be back soon."

"I don't want you to go. I will be to lonely." Ivar frowned with teary eyes. You were his only friend besides his mother and older brothers. You took care of him when his legs were in pain and you would allow him to cuddle with you.

You would hold him until he slept in your arms. What was he to do if he cannot sleep? He couldn't call for anyone else. They can't help like you could.

"Oh, Ivar. I will always come back to you." You promised as you hugged him. The boy hugged you back and for a long moment, both of you felt safe.

Pulling away, you smiled. "I have a gift for you and Sigurd."

You reached into your bag and pulled out two wooden swords. "Ragnar gave me and Ubbe something like this when we were younger, to." You said as you handed them both a sword.

"I will keep it safe forever!" Ivar said

You smiled before moving to kneel in front of Sigurd. "Promise to take care of Ivar and your mother?" You asked, earning a nod from the quiet boy. "I will return and when I get back, I expect to hear that you played with Ivar."

Sigurd sighed and nodded once more. He never got along with Ivar but for you, he would try his best.

Hugging the boy, you smiled wide before standing and turning to Aslaug.

You attacked the woman in a hug, causing her to chuckle.

"I will miss you, Aunt Aslaug." You said

"I'll miss you too, Astrid. Promise to be careful?"

"Always."

After another moment, you stood and started after your parents who were waiting by the boats.

Turning back, you smiled, looking to Ivar again. You let out a whistle, earning a whistle in return.

It was a signal system that you two had made for each other. It meant I love you. Or if you lost each other in a crowd, one of you would whistle and the other would whistle back.

Smiling at the soft noise, you walked towards the boats, bags in hand, vibrating in excitement.

After setting off, you finally understood what your father meant. The wind in your hair, the sound of the water.

It excited you.

With Ragnar and Floki still angry with each other, you could not travel with Ragnar, Ubbe and Hvitserk. Instead, you remained with Floki and Helga in the same ship as Harald and Halfdan.

"So, Floki. How are you feeling?" Harald asked, patting Floki's shoulder as you overlooked the water

"I feel happy." Floki said. "I feel among friends."

"That's because you are among friends, dear Floki." Halfdan answered. "You and us, we're the same. I feel it in my heart's core." Halfdan answered

"But, uh, tell us honestly, wouldn't you rather be travelling with Ragnar?"

"I know I would." You muttered bitterly

"No." Floki answered. "I'm here with my new friends. Who love the Gods as much as I do. And would never betray them." Floki giggled

-

By night, the sea was rough, and there were many clouds. It looked as if it would rain as you remained curled into a ball, cuddled in your mother's arms.

The journey was long, boring and exhausting.

Nearby, you could hear Yidu singing. Ragnar had surprisingly brought her along. Everyone who had once been tired stayed up the listen to the angelic voice as if it calmed them or put them in a trance.

Though for you, it caused you to become sleepy. Though that soon changed when you heard the clash of thunder and saw the sky light up with the lightning.

Thor was striking his anvil with his hammer. You couldn't tell if he was angry or if he was celebrating as you curled closer to your mother in fear, hiding under the blankets.

-

The next day, the sail was torn as men rushed to fix it. Not a ship was in sight. It was just you and the others, all alone and it scared you.

Many thoughts ran through your head. What if you never saw Ubbe or Hvitserk again? What if you died out in the ocean? What happened to the dozens of other ships?

You rested against the front of the ship, hanging onto a rope as you scanned the sea for any sign of another ship.

Nearby, you heard horns. Looking to your left, you saw it. Lagertha and Ragnar's ships. Only 3 out of nearly 100. Where were the others?

You saw Ubbe and Hvitserk waving at you, trying to get your attention. You waved back, nearly bouncing in excitement at the sight of your friends.

After sailing for a while longer, you came across the lands of the Franks. Best part? Paris was in the land of Frankia. You were close.

Near the shore, you could see a few boats with blue and red flags. Floki told you that they were the boats of Frankish scouts.

In the trees, you could see smoke from put out fires.

So, you sailed closer and closer to shore until you reached the beach.

The men hopped out of the boats, weapons and shields in hand. You, the women, Ubbe and Hvitserk remained in the boats for your own safety.

-

After the men killed the Frankish scouts, you and the others left the boats. Ubbe carried you on his back towards the camp while you both spoke of your first experience on the sea.

Soon after arriving, you, Ubbe and Hvitserk played target practice on one of the men's dead bodies, hung from a large branch.

-

Later that day, you sat with Ubbe and Hvitserk at the beach. Ragnar stood beside you all and Bjorn and one of Harald's men tied a Frankish scout to a board in the water.

"Why are we doing this, Father?" Ubbe asked

"You'll see." Ragnar answered. "It's for our lost boats. That way they know we're in front of them."

The man was pushed out to sea, begging in his strange language.

You and the boys followed after Ragnar like ducklings would with their parents.

-

Someone had managed to light a signal fire. Soon, news of your arrival will reach Paris.

Floki went with Harald and Halfdan and burned the Frankish scouts that the men had captured and decided to keep alive. Hearing their screams, you and everyone else in camp rushed to look.

Across the field, the Frankish men were being burned alive as Harald and Floki and many other men danced around the flames.

While many of the men watching were amused, you were partially in horror. Seeing this, Bjorn sighed as he picked you up and walked away from the trees, Ubbe and Hvitserk following.

Though you and the boys were the same age, they didn't want you seeing something so terribly wrong. They knew how bad your nightmares could get.

-

Thankfully, all the ships had found their way after receiving the message. They found the man and followed where he came from and found you all.

Now, you were all sailing toward Paris once more and it excited you. But it worried you when you saw no sign of Rollo's camp. It had been 3 years since Rollo was left behind in the land of Frankia. Anything could've happened.

-

After sailing a while longer, you straightened up in both anger and shock.

Rollo sat on a horse with two Frankish guards behind him. He was no longer Viking. He wore strange new clothes, his hair was short, his beard groomed.

"Halt!" You heard Bjorn order

All boats slowly stopped as everyone stared at Rollo Lothbrok in shock.

Looking further down the river, you saw 2 forts on either side which confused you. In the stories that Lagertha and Floki told you, neither mentioned them.

Both you and Floki scoffed. "Did you not say that he told you the christening was a joke, Father?" You asked, eyes never moving away from a man who you had once looked up to.

"He has betrayed us and our Gods, Astrid." Floki said. "The Christian god poisoned him just as it poisoned Ragnar."

"UNCLE!!!" You heard Bjorn roar in anger

繼續閱讀

You'll Also Like

248K 6K 37
When Torhild returns home after a two year long training as shieldmaiden she finds out that everything is changed. Not only is her mother queen of Ka...
5.8K 161 19
You embark on the adventure that is the raid of all raid. Ragnar's death was only a blessing in it brought together all of Scandinavia. You decide to...
39.8K 481 13
Requests open King Alfred Bishop Heahmund Ubbe Ivar the boneless Bjorn Ironside Hvitserk King Harald Halfdan Floki Ragnar MATURE CONTENT 18+ N...
8.6K 177 43
Ragnar, his wife and their sons Ivar and Hvitserk travel to the kingdom of Myrhult in Sweden to form an alliance with King Valtar, and celebrate the...