Coming Home (Sequel to This T...

By MiddleEarthPixie

Since the night Loki Odinson crash landed in her apartment, McKenna Carlin's life has gone from ordinary and... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-EIght
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Author's Note

Chapter Four

921 26 5
By MiddleEarthPixie

CHAPTER FOUR

One of the perks of being a princess was a seemingly endless wardrobe of things to wear. And although she still, after five years, had a difficult time seeing herself as a princess, McKenna certainly didn’t mind that wardrobe one bit. It was a far cry from her days as a bartender, where she perfected the art of coupons and Old Navy was her favorite store. Actually, Old Navy was still her favorite store and tucked in among beautiful gowns of real silk and lush velvet and the finest of wools and linen, were at least a dozen pair of Old Navy jeans.

Not to mention, that ‘wardrobe’ was actually a walk-in closet that was probably the same size as her entire apartment back in Brunswick. It was divided into sections depending on the formality of the garment, and her shoes were organized by color and season. A full-length mirror in a gleaming mahogany stand stood in one corner and in the middle of the room there was a bench upholstered in emerald green velvet. Sweaters, shirts, and underwear were tucked away in drawers boasting gold pulls, while everything else hung on padded satin hangers. Definitely a far cry, indeed.

Now, McKenna stood before a rack of dresses, forefinger pressed to her lips, as she tried to decide what to wear. The presentation was a formality, and Loki would no doubt be in his formal armor, as he called it (and he had yet to explain just what constituted casual armor) but she would be forgiven if she chose comfort over formality. After all, she did just give birth to twins. Not to mention the Asgardians, for the most part, held her in high regard. Once, she took Selig and Aislinn to the park dressed in jeans and a black tee shirt that read Scott’s Tavern across the front in white Old English script, which was part of her old work wardrobe. Two days later, she saw at least seven women wearing the same shirt.

But at the same time, she didn’t want to look completely frumpy, either. Another perk? Everything had been custom sewn for her. And if something didn’t look completely right, Loki could fix it with just a flick of his fingers.

“Are you coming, love?” Speak of the devil.

She turned to see him in the doorway, leaning up against the jamb. As she suspected, he had chosen his formal armor—black and green leather, with heavy gold accents. It was what he wore the night he appeared in her apartment and he looked every bit as handsome in it now as he had then, only then he had a bit of a dazed look about him. He had, after all, just crashed to Midgard.

“I don’t know what to wear.” She flipped through several hangers. “Everything is too pretty.”

“And this is a problem?” He pushed up from the doorway and stepped into the closet. Under one arm he held his helmet—gold with long, swooping horns.

“Well, yes and no. What about this?” She tugged one hanger and pulled out a long, flowing gown of midnight blue silk. It was sewn in the Grecian style, with long sleeves that were open from shoulder to wrist. “It’s too formal, don’t you think?”

“I think you’re worrying about it too much.” He set the helmet on the bench and came up to slip his arms about her waist and pull her back against his chest. “You had two babies not quite twenty-four hours ago, love. Why not dress for comfort? Besides, you could go out there in a plastic bag and next week, every woman in Asgard will be wearing plastic bags.”

She smiled at him over one shoulder. “I don’t think I’ve got quite that much influence.”

“You’d be amazed.”

“I don’t want to embarrass you or the Allfather. Besides, I like to look nice.”

“You wouldn’t embarrass anyone. And you do look nice. You look nice like this.”

This was a pair of red plaid flannel jammy pants and an oversized white Rutgers sweatshirt. “Yeah… I am not going out there dressed like this.”

Loki bent over her shoulder and his lips brushed her ear as he whispered, “What do you want to wear?”

“I don’t know. Something…” Her voice trailed off as he gently nipped the slope of her neck. “Loki… I can’t think when you do that…”

“I cannot help myself, Midgardian,” he murmured, doing it again. “You are impossible to resist, even when you’re disheveled and in flannel.”

“Disheveled? I’d like to see how good you look after having two babies in the span of seven minutes.”

“Touché, as you would say.” His laughter was warm and soft on the curve of her shoulder. “You know I think you never look more beautiful than you do at this moment, no matter what moment that might be.”

“You are so lucky you have a silver tongue,” she sighed as he went back to nipping, then kissing, his way down to her shoulder. Her eyes grew heavy-lidded, so she let them close and tilted her head slightly to the left. His arms tightened about her waist and his lips went still for a moment, then he kissed her once more.

“Try the green one,” he whispered.

Which green one?”

“This.” He reached for the dress in question, a soft sea foam green wraparound with cap sleeves.

“Good choice.” She took the hanger from him, but before she could tell him to leave, he was taking the hanger back to let the dress drape across the velvet bench. A smile tugged at her lips as he turned her in his arms and bent to capture her lips in a soft kiss.

She eased her arms about his neck, pulling him closer as the kiss deepened. His lips moved against hers, his tongue softly teasing as it caressed hers. Damn, he was a gifted kisser, and for a moment, she didn’t feel quite so frumpy and disheveled.

He broke the kiss reluctantly, his lips sweeping along her cheekbone, up toward her temple as he whispered, “I should let you dress.”

“You should,” she murmured, “but I wouldn’t push you away if you wanted to kiss me again.”

His laughter was a warm caress on her cheek. “Always, love. Always.”

With that, his hand slid up along her neck to cradle her face, tilting her head back as he kissed her again. His fingers were warm on her cheek, his thumb skimming along just beneath her cheekbone.

When he pulled back, he smiled and drew her into his chest, wrapping both arms about her as he tucked her against him. “I love you, darling girl,” he murmured, pressing a kiss into the top of her head.

She smiled. When they stood like this, she fit perfectly, just beneath his chin, and when he held her this way, he surrounded her, made her feel safe and secure. “I love you, too, Loki,” she whispered, closing her eyes as she savored the feel of him against her.

He kissed the top of her head again before stepping back. “And now, I will let you dress in peace, since the Allfather is expecting us shortly.”

“I’ll be ready. I promise.”

“I know you will.” He picked up his helmet and moved back to the door. Then, he paused, snapping his fingers. “There was one more thing, before I forget.”

With that, he flicked his fingers and she felt something warm lying against her skin. Turning to the mirror, she smiled and shook her head. “Loki…”

“What? You don’t like it?”

It was a delicate gold necklace holding a white-gold slide that glittered with six different stones – a diamond (her birthday was in April), a pink tourmaline (Selig's birthday was October), a tanzanite (Aislinn was a Christmas baby), two emeralds (the twins’ birthstone) and an amethyst (Loki's birthday fell in early February.)

“I love it, of course, but you didn’t have to.”

“I know I didn’t. I wanted to.” He winked and tugged on the helmet. “While you finish dressing, I’ll round up the other two and wait for you in the nursery.”

She smiled. “I’ll be there in a minute.”

He winked again and walked out to close the door by, and she sighed softly as she gazed down at the green dress. There were times when she was sure she’d cheerfully strangle Loki, but then there were times like this, when she realized just how lucky she was to be where she was and with him. So many people—especially on Midgard—saw him as a villain, as evil and cold, and she wished at times they could see him as he was with her, with their children. She understood their fear, just as she understood his wish to keep the softer side of his personality out of the public eye, but sometimes she just wanted the world (or worlds) to see the good man he was beneath the reputation.

But there was little time to dwell. Odin was expecting her, and so she dressed and brushed out her hair, did a light makeup, and fifteen minutes later, she was in the nursery, butterflies in her belly as she scooped up Kyra, dressed for her debut in a pale pink fleece sleeper (her brother wore one in blue) and smiled down as she took Selig's hand. “Ready, little man?”

He looked like she felt, but nodded. “I am, Mommy.” He glanced up at Loki. “Daddy, I’m a little scared.”

“It’s okay, Sel. There’s nothing to be afraid of,” he told him, glancing from Selig to Aislinn and back. “Nothing for either of you to be afraid of. We’re going to stand out on the terrace off the Throne Room, with Bestefar, and he’s going to introduce your brother and sister. Everyone is going to cheer, and then we’re all going to go into the dining hall to celebrate.”

“I don’t have to say anything?” Selig asked as they started off toward the Throne Room.

“Not a word. None of us do,” McKenna told him, giving his hand a squeeze. “You just smile and wave. Piece of cake.”

But as they neared the Throne Room, her butterflies grew worse. Although she was used to being in Asgard, and accustomed to the treatment and expectations, she still wasn’t at all comfortable with being in the spotlight, no matter how welcoming. Loki had been raised in it, it was really all he’d ever known, but for her, it was like being forced to stand out there stark naked. It made her terribly uncomfortable and almost sick to her stomach.

Those butterflies worsened still as the crowds cheering grew more pronounced. Without thinking, she pulled Kyra a little closer and Selig flinched. “Mommy, you’re hurting my hand.”

“Oh, God… sorry, Selig. I guess I’m a little scared myself.”

Tyra came up to take both Aislinn and Selig's hands. “You two and I will stand behind Mommy and Daddy, all right?”

Both Selig and Aislinn nodded, their faces on the pale side. But as they neared the doors leading to the terrace, they both visibly relaxed. Like their father, they were used to this sort of thing, even if it frightened them a little still, and that was a good thing as far as McKenna was concerned. She didn’t want any of their children to be uncomfortable in their role in the Asgardian Royal Family. It was enough that now they lived under ever present guards and most likely always would. She didn’t want them coming to resent the circumstances of their births.

Loki's hand closed about hers, his thumb brushing hers, and she drew in a deep, calming breath as she looked up to see him smiling down at her. He winked and mouthed, Midgardian.

Jötunn, she mouthed back, giving his hand a squeeze.

Odin was waiting for them just inside the terrace, dressed in his formal armor as well, complete with golden helmet, and he smiled as they drew near. “The crowds are growing restless.”

McKenna swallowed hard, her heart beating even faster now as the roar of the people gathered below reached her ears. “How many are out there?”

“Asgard's most popular princess has given birth,” Odin replied with a hint of a smile. “I think it safe to say the entire population of Asgard has come out for this.”

Loki gave her hand a squeeze. “You will be fine, love. Just like with Aislinn and just like with Selig.”

“I know, but…”

“Mommy,” Selig held out his hand, “hold my hand. You’ll feel better.”

She smiled, and crouched down to kiss the tip of his nose. “I love you, Selig. Thank you.”

With that, Odin stepped out onto the terrace and the volume ratcheted up at least three decibels. Selig winced and covered his ears with his hands. “Too loud, Mommy!”

“I know, sweetie. Just another few minutes and we can go.”

“Can we go to the beach, Mommy?”

Loki also crouched to Selig's eye-level. “Yes. When we finish here, we’ll go get changed and go to the beach. But we have to do this first.”

“Okay, Daddy.”

“That’s my boy. Stay with Tyra right behind me. If you get too scared, take my hand.” He shifted to Aislinn. “How are you holding up, princess?”

“I okay, Daddy.”

Loki smiled. “That’s Daddy’s girl.”

Aislinn beamed at him. “I hold Sewig’s hand.”

“That’s fine.” He kissed the top of her head and straightened up, shifting Nicholas as he cooed. Then, he took McKenna's hand once more. “Are you ready, love?”

She swallowed hard and nodded. “I think so.”

Odin cleared his throat and a silence swept over the crowd as if someone pulled the plug on their voices. “Thank you all for gathering here on this glorious afternoon to join me in welcoming Asgard's newest prince and princess.

“As you all know, Loki and Lady McKenna were expecting twin boys. Imagine their surprise and delight to learn that one of their sons was, in actuality, a daughter. So, it is with great pleasure that I introduce to you Prince Nicholas Brendan Lokison and Princess Kyra McKenna Lokidatter!”

McKenna braced herself for the roar and wasn’t disappointed as she and Loki stepped up with the infants and the crowd went wild. Once more, she found herself a little confused at the names—her surname was Odinson, because Loki's surname was actually Odinson (well, technically, it was Laufeyson, but he had taken back Odin's name when he and Odin managed to mend their relationship) but while they used Odinson for the children on Midgard, in Asgard, they would revert to the traditional way of naming them for their father. It was far too confusing for her and she far preferred just using Odinson. Unlike Loki, she didn’t have tradition to worry about but it was important to him, to Odin, and so she dealt with the confusion.

Loki smiled at her as he waved to the crowd, which screamed even louder and a moment later, she realized they were chanting her name, which sounded so odd to her. She stepped up to stand beside Loki, squeezing his hand even tighter as the crowd went wild. She managed to smile as she let go of Loki's hand to wave to them, which made the cheers even louder.

From the corner of her eye, she saw both Loki and Odin smiling proudly. Although he hadn’t thought much of her the first time she was in Asgard, Odin had come to regard her as his own daughter. Another deep breath, and her heartbeat regained its normal pace and this time, her wave and smile felt more natural.

“And now, of course you will all understand that Lady McKenna needs her rest and Loki, of course, is doing what he can to make certain she gets the rest she so needs. There will be a celebration banquet this evening, followed by a ball. I cannot promise the new parents will be in attendance for the entire evening, but I have heard rumors they will dance to at least one song.”

McKenna smiled up at Loki. “I can hazard a guess what that song might be.”

Loki draped his free arm about her neck and leaned close. His lips brushed her ear as he sang in a low, gravelly voice, “’Cause down the shore, everything’s all right. You and your baby on a Saturday night. ‘Cause nothin’ matters in this whole wide world, oh, no. When you’re in love with a Jersey girl.

She leaned into him with a soft sigh. Jersey Girl had been their wedding song and he’d perfected singing it so he sounded almost exactly like Bruce Springsteen, which made her love the song even more than she already had before she and Loki met.

Turning toward him, she said, “I love you.”

“I love you, too, darling girl.” He bent toward her and as their lips met, the crowd went even wilder still. It was much like their wedding day, when they appeared on the balcony above the Coronation Room before their reception started, and shared their first public kiss as husband and wife. Not only did Asgardians come to love her as one of their own, but she’d redeemed Loki in their eyes as well.

They were ushered away from the balcony rail and back inside, where McKenna breathed a sigh of relief. “Thank God that’s over with.” She glanced over at Odin. “I was convinced you had something up your sleeve, you know.”

“Now, McKenna, you should know by now, I would never simply surprise you in front of  your future subjects. No, when I decide to formally elevate your title to princess, I would do so in a setting such as this and say, McKenna Odinson, you shall relinquish your title as Lady McKenna and instead be addressed from this day forward as Princess McKenna.

She stared at him. “What?”

“I think, in the last several years, you have proven your worth several times over. Therefore, I should like to change your title to Princess. I can do that, you know.”

“But… but I thought I didn’t become princess until Loki ascended the throne?”

“Ordinarily, that would be so. But, as I said, you have proven yourself time and again. And I can think of no one else more deserving than Asgard's future queen.”

“Oh… oh, my…” She glanced over at Loki, who was smiling broadly. “Did you know about this?”

“It might have been mentioned to me in passing.”

“And you said nothing to me about it?”

“I was told in the strictest of confidence, love. Odin would have had my head if I told you.”

“Mommy?” Selig tugged on her hand. “You are going to be a queen?”

“Someday, she will,” Odin replied, crouching down to meet Selig's gaze. “Just as one day you will be king.”

“Whoa…” Selig smiled up at her. “How cool…”

“So, is everyone going to call me Princess McKenna now?” she sighed, rubbing her forehead. Kyra’s eyes opened and she began crying. She wanted to nurse. “You know, never mind… I don’t think I can handle any more weird today. Now,” she looked from her father in law to Loki and back, “if you’ll both excuse me, Kyra needs lunch.”

Odin smiled up at her. “I will be happy to take Selig and Aislinn riding, if you don’t mind.”

“That would be nice, Allfather,” she said, managing to smile. “I’m sure they’d appreciate, won’t you, guys?”

Both Aislinn and Selig nodded and chimed, “Yes, Mommy!” at the same time.

“Be good and listen to Bestefar,” Loki told them as Nicholas also began to wail. Both children nodded and each took one of Odin's hands, and off they went without even a backward glance.

As she turned back to Loki, her smile faded. “You should have said something, Loki. Princess? I can barely handle being called Lady McKenna and now everyone is going to call me Princess McKenna?”

“I promised I would not say a word, love. Do you have any idea how great an honor this is? Odin looks upon you as his own flesh and blood.”

“But I’m not. I mean, I appreciate it and all, but I’m not. I’m Midgardian. Ordinary. Regular. Nothing special.”

His eyes narrowed as Nicholas began to really scream. He gestured for her to start walking and growled, “Do you truly believe that nonsense, McKenna? Do you truly believe you are nothing special? That you are ordinary? Regular? You are the mother of the future Asgardian king, wife of the future Asgardian king, and as you would say, pretty badass all around.”

She tried to keep her scowl in place, but it was impossible. A smile tugged on the corners of her mouth. “I am pretty badass, aren't I?”

“You gave birth to two babies in seven minutes. I’d say that’s worthy of a bit of badassery, if there is such a thing. Now, if you’re ready, Princess McKenna, I’d say your son and daughter are going to have complete meltdowns if you make either of them wait much longer.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

139 17 17
Loki has been living with the Avengers in New York since the destruction of Asgard. Waking up one morning, he discovers that all is definitely not as...
66.5K 2K 51
Adjusting to being married to a god - and not just any god, but the God of Mischief- hasn't been easy but McKenna Carlin Laufeyson is managing. Or so...
65.4K 1.5K 27
You are the newest, and youngest, member of the Avengers. You love being on the team, but it comes with its challenges. Almost every night you find y...
217K 6.3K 43
Loki x Reader You live with the avengers. One day Thor will take you all to the Asgard. There you'll meet someone who changes your life. But soon aft...