Life Changes » Marcus Armstro...

By uniquexus

I genuinely fell for someone when I wasn't searching for love, I was searching for peace. I was searching for... More

Author's Note
Prologue.
One.
Two.
Three.
Five.
Six.
Seven.
Eight.
Nine.
Ten.
Eleven.
Twelve.
Thirteen.
Fourteen.
Fifteen.
Sixteen.
Seventeen.
Eightteen.
Nineteen.
Twenty.
Twentyone.
Twentytwo.
Twentythree.
Twentyfour.
Twentyfive.
Twentysix.
Twentyseven.
Twentyeight.
Twentynine.
Thirty.
Thirtyone.
Thirtytwo.
Thirtythree.
Thirtyfour.
Thirtyfive.
Thirtysix.
Thirtyseven.
Thirtyeight.
Thirtynine.
Fourty.
Fourtyone.
Fourtytwo.
Fourtythree.
Fourtyfour.
Fourtyfive.
Fourtysix.
Fourtyseven.
Fourtyeight.
Fourtynine.
Fifty.
Word of Thanks
New book: Charles
Other books
New book: Her

Four.

4.5K 155 27
By uniquexus

Jane walked out of her bedroom and looked at Luna, who was having breakfast in her pyjama while sitting on the kitchen counter for some reason. "Isn't this too overdressed? It's just a breakfast..." Jane was wearing a blue floral midi dress.

"No," Luna replied and shook her head. "It's a summer dress. And dress to impress." She had a bite of her Nutella toast. "Like you just said: it's just breakfast. But if you don't feel comfortable wearing it, then don't wear it."

"No, it's not I'm uncomfortable wearing it... I just don't know what to wear. What if he arrives in something simple?"

An amusing smile was playing on Luna's lips. "It was just breakfast, right? Not a date, no?"

"Ugh, Luna!" Jane groaned irritated, and turned around, walking back to her room. "I'm asking for advice, not some kind of bullshit talk!" She sat down on her bed and sighed.

Luna jumped off the counter and followed Jane to her room, having the plate in her hand. She knew Jane for quite some years now, and she could tell Jane was nervous and insecure. "Hey, just wear whatever you want to wear. If you want to wear trousers, then wear trousers. I'm sure Marcus is doing his best as well, to look great. Put on some trainers, and it will look more casual. Jane, you look beautiful. No matter what you will wear." Luna sat down on the bed next to Jane. "But make a quick decision, you have to leave. Or you will be late."

"Why the fuck am I making a big deal of it? Jeez," Jane breathed and put on her new trainers from Veja, her new favourite trainers. "It's just a breakfast meeting thingy."

"With Marcus Armstrong." When Marcus messaged Jane back, he added her phone number to his phone, and his profile picture showed up. Luna recognised him straight away. "It's just Marcus Armstrong, no sweat, totally fine," Luna said like it was nothing.

Jane rolled her eyes. "It's just Marcus, yes. And I have no idea who he is." She got up from the bed and walked to the mirror, checking if she looked good.

"You live under a rock."

"I just have other interests," Jane defended herself and sprayed on some perfume. "But that doesn't mean I live under a rock."

"How could you not know he is a driver? Everybody knows him." Luna yawned. "But whatever, do your thing."

Jane smiled. "I definitely will. Anyway," she said and grabbed her bag. "I'm leaving. Good luck with your exam. Are you eating at home or not?"

"Date."

"Also fine. I will see you later."

Luna followed Jane to the front door of their floor. "Bye. And don't be nervous; it's just Marcus!"

Jane walked off the stairs and raised her hand, doing some kind of wave. Once she was outside, she put on her sunglasses. Her eyes fell on her watch: ten more minutes left. To Jane's luck, she lived in the centre of the city, so it was only a short walk to the cafe. The sun was throwing spears of golden light over the sleepy city; it felt chilly outside because it was morning. Jane proposed they would meet up at 9:30, but 9:00 was a better time for the both of them; Jane had to study in the afternoon, and Marcus had an office day.

Once arrived at the square, the nerves became more intense for Jane. This was the first time she went out again after her breakup, and for some reason, it was freaking her more out than she ever was in her relationship. The palms of her hands became sticky, and there was a weird feeling in her stomach.

The corners of Marcus' mouth curled up, and he raised his hand to wave at Jane; he sat already down at a table in front of the cafe. When Jane was almost at the table, Marcus got up and raised his arm like he was about to hug her.

"Hey," Jane smiled and wrapped her arm around Marcus for a few seconds. She took off her sunglasses.

Marcus let go of her and sat down again. "Good morning," he said. Jane took place across from him. "How are you? You look beautiful, Jane."

It came to Marcus attention Jane's hair was longer than that evening, but overall she didn't change much. Well, she looks less nervous...

"Thank you," Jane politely said and looked away while stroking the front piece of hair behind her ear. "I'm fine, thanks. How about you?" It made her look back at him. "You look handsome too, by the way," she whispered.

He couldn't help it, but his face softened. Jane was nervous; Marcus could see that. It looked adorable. "I'm fine too," Marcus replied.

Just to Jane her luck, since she didn't know what to say anymore, the waiter showed up and asked if he could take their order. Jane decided to go for a cornetto - it looked like a croissant, and a cappuccino.

"For me the same, please," Marcus said. "And a small bowl of mixed fruit, if that is possible."

The waiter nodded and grabbed the menu's from the table. "Of course, no problem. It will be right here." He walked away.

"I had no idea you worked for Giuseppe and Emma," Marcus started. "I saw you walking on the driveway, and I had to look twice to see if it was actually you. You looked pretty... annoyed and strict."

"So I really look like a strict tutor, great," Jane painfully said, but could laugh it off. "Don't get me wrong, Federico is a lovely kid, but when he has a bad day... And a dinner at his own house where he is not allowed to be... Pain in the arse. But everyone has those days; I don't mind him."

Marcus only smiled. "That's true. But he likes you, just like Francesca. We all could see that at the football match."

"They are amazing."

"You are their nanny?"

"Tutor on paper." It made Marcus raise his eyebrows. "I usually pick them up from school and spend an afternoon on homework and some languages, but over the months, it became taking care of them as well. I don't mind it, I get paid for it, and they are lovely people," Jane explained. The cappuccino's arrived. She grabbed a sugar stick and emptied it into the cup. "I can't quite put my finger on your presence at the investor's dinner."

A short laugh rolled over Marcus' lips. "I don't know if you can tell, but I'm absolutely not an investor. Giuseppe is an important guy in the motorsports world, and I'm a F2 driver. I believed they invited everyone over because it was Emma's birthday, also an important woman in this world."

"Ah, I see. Makes sense now," she nodded and carefully took a sip from the cappuccino. Jane didn't want to admit is, but she forgot that Marcus told her he was a F2 driver before. "I'm sorry, but I have no idea what is going on in the motorsports world. I grew up in a football family."

"Don't apologise," Marcus said straightaway and also took a sip from the cappuccino. "You can't always know everything - no offence."

Jane was shaking her head, just to let Marcus know everything was fine. "But everything is going fine in F2?"

Their breakfast got served.

"We are actually still in the winter break."

"Ow."

"No, no, it's fine," Marcus replied and gave her a comforting smile. He could see it made Jane insecure. "You didn't know it. We are starting in a couple of weeks, so we are mainly prepping things: making the car ready, office days, a lot of simulator sessions."

"And that is going fine?" Jane bit on the inside of her lip, she should have asked Luna about all of this. She felt insecure and stupid for not knowing the basics.

His eyes lit up, she was trying to be interested and trying to understand everything of it. "It's different from last year. I raced in F3 last year, and I'm going to race in F2 this year. It's different, but challenging. I really enjoy it so far."

Jane nodded. "That's good."

They both started to eat in silence. The temperature slowly began to rise to a more pleasantly warmth.

"I heard from friends the exams of the semester are about to start," Marcus changed the subject. Jane nodded. "How is it going?"

"I'm starting tomorrow. And I already cannot wait for it to be over," Jane said and deeply breathed in and out. "It's so much work, it isn't fun anymore."

"What are you studying again?"

"Literary and Cultural Analysis." She looked at him.

He nodded. "Sounds... interesting?"

They both laughed.

"Let's say it can be interesting," Jane cheekily said and took a small sip of the cappuccino. It tasted good.

Marcus slowly nodded. "But you don't like it?" He was scanning her face, trying to figure out what she meant.

"Nope." She pressed her lips into a thin line. "But you know, it is what it is."

»

After a few hours and two cappuccino's later, Jane paid for breakfast. She thanked the waiter and left the cafe. The sun was warm; it was the perfect weather to go out to the beach and just relax.

Marcus was waiting in front of the cafe. "How much was it?" He looked at Jane once she arrived.

"No," she stopped him. "This is on me. You paid for dinner two months ago... Really still can't thank you enough. And because of two days ago."

"You really don't have to thank me for that, Jane," he replied. Jane was standing in front of him, locking her eyes with his. "But you are very welcome, and thank you for breakfast."

Jane nodded. "No problem," she smiled and put her sunglasses on her nose. She looked around her. "Hey," she friendly said to a man she vaguely knew.

"Hey," the man politely said.

Marcus and Jane started to walk. "It is really none of my business, but how did it end up with your boyfriend?"

"I broke up with that dickhead," Jane shared emotionless.

He couldn't help it, but softly smirked. Just the way Jane said it, was just brilliant. "Good," he mumbled.

"And you have the right to ask about it. You were basically the reason why I broke up with him."

"I what?" Marcus squeezed his eyebrows together. "You're welcome, I guess..."

Jane's eyes widened. "Gosh, no. I don't mean it like that. It's just... Leonardo and I weren't on good terms anymore, that dinner was also the last hope. And then he didn't show up. But you did, you saved my arse that evening. While talking to you, it made me realise I was not in the right relationship."

"I have no idea who Leonardo is, but I could tell from that evening how much of a dick he was," Marcus blurted without even thinking about it. "You are such a wonderful person, and you shouldn't be left alone at dinner dates like that or be treated like nothing."

Her cheeks heated up by Marcus' words.

"That chapter is closed, and I'm not here to talk about that," he finished the subject. His eyes were scanning the surroundings; he knew they were almost at Jane's home. "Thank you again for the fun morning, I really enjoyed it. We should do it more often."

"Absolutely," Jane happily smiled. "That's good to hear, I really did enjoy it too."

This morning was fun, it was just a simple breakfast, but it meant much to Jane. For the first time in two months, she opened up to someone again, it made her feel appreciated again. It made her happy.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

444 46 32
ARIA MACARI: Little did I know that stepping into the fast-paced world of Formula One with the Ryze team would veer my life off course. Faking a rela...
131K 3.7K 47
Sara, an enthusiastic badminton player, was forced to quit at the age of 21 after trying to be the best for years. A returning injury kept her from s...
151K 1.8K 58
You're supposed to start college in September but you get given an amazing opportunity, during that time you meet a boy who has a slight obsession wi...
42.2K 855 26
❝i think i like you best when you're just with me and no one else.❞ formula one fanfic m...