Embers in the Dark

By TheShantyBanshee

Sequel to "When We Were Younger". Three years have past since Cahira was taken from Arthur and Lilly. Lilly... More

Prologue
Regret
God's Day
Suspicion
Pain
Do We Have An Accord?
Feelings
Alexander
Even More Secrets
The Black Wolf
Rose
The Big Secret
The Hunting Game
Supper
Wrecked
All Night Long
The Bath
The Lucky Watch
Therapy
War
Sword Swallowing
The Wolf and the Jackal: Part 1
The Wolf and the Jackal: Part 2
Devil Knows
The Griffin
All Hallow's Eve: Part 1
All Hallow's Eve: Part 2
The Cleansing
A Cracked Soul
Worshippers
Demons
The Ferryman
Hoist the Colours
Ansuz
The Cauldron of The Dagda
Pieces of Information
I Have No Words
Believer
We Be Three Poor Brothers
Confessions
The Goddess of Death, War and Hunting
Utter Madness
The Three Wives
Hey Brother
Bad Timing
The Griffin God
A Business Meeting
Rumor Has It
Is This How It Ends?
Operation Clean Slate
The Final Round
Still Lovin' You
The Rebel Army
Espionage
Full
Realizations
Heads and Necks
Ménage à Quatre
The Kelpie
Arthur's Harem
It's About To Go Down
Macha the Holy
Stolen
Yo!

More Secrets

30 1 0
By TheShantyBanshee

Siagon, French Indochina, May of 1904

The sun was high in the sky that day, but one wouldn't really notice since the clouds were so dark and thick.  And the humidity was ungodly.  The rain pattering on the roofs of the small buildings in the area made loud taps and the dirt road was soaked, large puddles forming everywhere.  People ran through the streets of Saigon, French Indochina, hoping to get to their destinations as soon as possible.  Buffalos pulled carts up and down the street, their drivers hollering in Vietnamese.

A rogue figure stood in the doorway of one small building in the middle of all the mild chaos dressed in American western clothing.  Blue trousers, black western boots, a gun belt with revolvers and knives, a dark red button up shirt with the sleeves rolled up, black fingerless gloves, and a black bulldogger hat.  The figure lifted their head slightly to light a match for their cigarette.  The edge of the cigarette burned as the person pressed the match to the tobacco.

Their head lifted to reveal the face of a woman with sapphire blue eyes and auburn colored hair tightened back into a braid.  A long, singular scar went from her forehead, to the side of her face, to her jawline.  She took a puff of her cigarette and sighed, leaning her head back.

"Feck all this god damn rain,"  she mumbled in her thick Irish accent.  "And I thought Ireland was a wet country."

Laughter echoed behind her.  "It French Indochina, Lilly," a Vietnamese man said behind her, dressed in a black Vietnamese tunic and white pants.  "It always rains here."

Lilly huffed and smoked on her cigarette.  "Yeah but ya bastards only got two seasons: rainy and dry."

The man laughed and stood up, walking to the door frame.  "We simple folk, girl.  Rain not bother us."

Lilly sucked on her cigarette again before passing it to her companion.  "Yeah but wet clothes feel so...icky."

The man took the cigarette and puffed on it.  "You get used to it."

Lilly chuckled softly.  "I suppose."  She turned her head to look at him.  "Vu, you ever just...wonder why it rains so much here?"

"That because we have toads," Vu replied casually before passing the cigarette and leaning against the other side of the door frame.

"Toads?" Lilly inquired with an arch of her brow, sucking on the cigarette.

"Yes, toads.  You never hear story of The Rain King?"

Lilly shook her head.  "No."

Vu gave her a playful grin.  "I tell you now."

Lilly rolled her eyes and groaned.  "Not another feckin' story," she whined.  "Ya always say yer stories in Vietnamese!"

Vu laughed a high pitched laugh with a bright smile, tugging on his hair knot at the nape of his neck.  "How else you learn language, girl?"

Lilly coughed.  "By reading.  Besides, I already know enough languages to get me by.  I ain't interested in learnin' any new ones because learnin' Vietnamese has damn near been the death of me," she said as she flicked the cigarette and walked back into the small house.

"Why?"  Vu asked, turning toward her and walking in.  "It good to...to expand vocabulary."

Lilly sighed as she went into the small kitchen, looking through the pantry.  "I already got a big enough vocabulary, trust me."

"How big?" Vu asked curiously.

Lilly eyeballed him with a smirk.  "I speak...almost three dozen languages."

"Almost three..." he counted on his fingers.  "Almost thirty two?!" Vu shouted, looking impressed yet outraged.  "You kidding me?!"

Lilly giggled, grabbing something that looked like dessert from the pantry and sniffing it.  "Not kiddin' at all, Vu."

Vu scoffed and leaned back a little.  "Girl, you crazy if you think I believe you!" he laughed.

The Irish woman sighed and picked up what looked like a biscuit, licking it.  It tasted good enough, so she took a bite out of it.  It was soggy.  She blehed and spit it out.

"That's...what the hell did I just try to eat?" Lilly asked, looking at Vu with a scrunched up face.

Vu looked over and grinned.  "Bánh bò ,harmless," he replied.  "You not look at what you eat, girl?"

Lilly sighed and set the bowl down.  "Not really, no.  I just eat whatever looks good."

"I didn't know you hungry, hungry girl.  Why you say nothing?" Vu asked with concern.

"Because we have a job to do," she said, looking at him.  "Food can wait."

Just then an older Vietnamese gentleman appeared at the door.  He looked at the two people in his house and gulped before backing away.  Lilly groaned and walked to the door, exiting the house and walking up to the man with a scowl.

"You speak English, buddy?" she asked sternly.

The man shook his head.  "Không," he replied.  [No.]

Lilly groaned and rubbed her eyes.  "How about French?"

"Không," the man said again.

Lilly's eyeball twitched, droplets of water dripping from the brim of her hat.  She sighed and looked behind her at a very amused Vu before glancing back at the man.

"Bạn nợ ông chủ của tôi tiền. Trả," Lilly said, holding out her palm and flicking her fingers back and forth.  [You owe my boss money.  Pay.]

The man frowned, looking down at his hands.  "Tôi không có gì cả. Tôi không-" [I have nothing. I'm not-]

"TRẢ!" Lilly shouted.  [PAY!]

The man backed up and tripped over his heels, falling into the muddy street and looking up at Lilly with fear in his eyes.  Thunder rumbled in the distance and Lilly flinched, shaking her head and shutting her eyes.

"Calm down, Lilly," she muttered to herself.  "It's just a storm."

The man kept looking up at the Irish woman, terrified of her voice.  Lilly sighed and wiped her face before squatting down in front of the man and holding out her hand.

"Tiền bạc," she said softly.  [Money.]

The man nodded shakily before pulling out his pocket book and handing it to her.  She stood up and pulled out two piastres marked for twenty each.  Lilly then gave him back his pocket book and put the money in her shirt pocket.

"Cảm ơn bạn. Đi," Lilly said with a jerk of her head.  [Thank you.  Go.] 

The man nodded and quickly got up before running by Vu to get into the house.  Vu shrugged as he walked to Lilly.

"Your dialect still off," he teased.

"Shut up," she grunted playfully before nudging his shoulder.

Vu laughed.  "Come on, I buy lunch.  You need food for fight tonight."

The two companions wandered off through the rain down the street.

"How long you been in my country?" Vu asked, clasping his hands behind his back.

Lilly, walking her normal walk, eyed Vu from her peripherals.  "Since right before Christmas, you know that.  Why?"

Vu nodded.  "You usually move on by now."

Lilly arched a brow.  "You want me to move on?"

Vu shook his hands at her.  "No, no.  'Course not.  But you don't stick around in one spot too long."

Lilly chuckled.  "I know, but...I dunno, the tropical climate suits me...except the stormin', of course."

"Yeah, this storm probably last three days," Vu explained, looking up at the sky.  "Why storms bother you?"

Lilly shrugged.  "They just...do.  Anyway," she paused them both in their walking.  "What's your point?"

Vu chuckled.  "My point is that you should go home."

Lilly blinked.  "No.  Absolutely not," she said with a shake of her head. "I'm headin' to Australia next."

"When?"

Lilly sighed as they walked again.  "As soon as I get enough money."

Vu stopped her.  "If you need money, why not ask me for loan?"

Lilly frowned, biting her lower lip.  "I'd rather not owe ya, Vu."

Vu clasped her shoulder.  "I give you money on one condition."

Lilly chuckled and crossed her arms.  "Oh yeah?  What's that, then?"

"Use money to go home."

Lilly took a deep breath and narrowed her eyes at Vu.  "I ain't welcome there no more."

"You sure of this?"

Lilly scoffed.  "We was in a gang.  Abandonin' the gang was always a huge no no."

"But your life different after, right?  You countess, you rich, you famous, you beloved.  You have husband and two kids," Vu explained, holding three fingers up.  "Arthur take you back right away."

Lilly lowered her gaze to the ground.  "I don't know, Vu," she said, fiddling with her fingers.  "It's been almost three years now since I left and I-"

Lilly paused when she saw a reflection in a puddle.  Something dark had appeared in the water and she blinked before looking up at what the reflection was showing.  However, it was no longer there.

"What's wrong, girl?" Vu asked softly.

Lilly shook her head and sighed. "Nothing, just my imagination.  Come on," she said, walking along the street.  "I'm famished."

Vu followed along with Lilly for a few more blocks before stopping at a small restaurant.

XxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxX

Just outside Darach ar an gCnoc, the sun had just risen over the hills not too far behind the property.  A rooster crowed to signify that it was time for people to get up.

Arthur, asleep in his bed, jerked awake and sat up, breathing heavily before looking around and rubbing his face.  He got out of bed to start his morning routine of shaving, brushing his teeth and getting dressed.  Wearing his summer gunslinger outfit, hat and all, he left the new master bedroom and strolled down the hall, slowing his stride when he reached the old master bedroom door.

He stared at the handle and sighed.  "No, not today, Lilly," he mumbled before poking his head in the twin's room. 

He smiled brightly at his four year old twins who were still asleep in their beds.  He tiptoed in and shut the door before walking to the space in between their beds.  He placed his hands on his hips before looking at his son and daughter, then he chuckled before clapping his hands loudly.

"Wake up, chiselers!" Arthur shouted, making the kids yelp and sit up.  "It's our first fishin' day!"

Arthur Jr. and Aoífe groaned and stretched.  "But Daddy, it's too early," Junior whined, rubbing his eyes.

Arthur laughed.  "No, we gotta head out early if we want the fish to bite.  Grandpa and Sheanathair are comin' too," he explained.  "Now get up and get dressed.  We'll eat when we get there," he said before leaving the room.

Once Aisling had come in to help the twins get ready, Arthur had taken it upon himself to get two picnic baskets ready for breakfast and lunch.  The cooks had been kind enough to throw something together the night before for the lunch and just when he finished packing it all up, the kids walked in with Dutch and Hosea.

"Ready for some fishin'?" Hosea asked.

Arthur raised both the baskets.  "Yep."

Both the kids clapped and giggled when Michael, the butler entered the kitchen with something in his hands.

"Michael," Arthur greeted with a head nod.  "What's that?"

The butler held it up.  "A letter, m'lord."

Arthur put the baskets on the counter before grabbing the letter from Michael.  When he looked at where it was from, and who, his whole demeanor changed.

"Dutch, Hosea, take the kids to the creek.  I'll catch up," he said, pocketing the letter.

The two older men looked at each other with concern before glancing at Arthur.  "Everything alright?" Dutch asked.

"Mmhmm," Arthur replied, looking around the kitchen for a mug.  "Everything's good.  Why?"

One of the scullery maids walked in to start preparing something.  The men waited until she left to continue the conversation.  Arthur had by then found a cup and filled it with coffee.

"Well," Hosea began.  "You've been gettin' mysterious letters, Arthur.  We wish we knew what they were about."

Arthur took a sip of coffee and nodded.  "And I will tell you, just not yet."

Aoífe smirked at her younger brother as the three adults started arguing.  "I bet it's about Mummy," Aoífe whispered.

Junior scrunched his face up.  "How would you know, Aoífe?" he teased.

Aoífe let out a little giggle as she brushed off her blue dress.  "I have me ways, but ya already knew that."

The children went back to watching the argument but then Arthur Sr. held up a hand to silence the older gentlemen.

"Look, fellers.  Just trust me on this, okay?  When the time is right, I'll let you know what I'm doin'."  Arthur took another sip of coffee before walking to the kitchen door.  "Now please go take the kids to the creek.  I'll catch up."

Arthur left the kitchen and went down the hallway to his study, which was slightly smaller than Lilly's but he hadn't been in that room for almost three years.  He opened his study door and drank more coffee before walking to his desk and sitting down.  Placing the cup on the desk, he pulled out the envelope and opened it before reading it.  As he skimmed it, Arthur took in the information, converting it to memory.

Once he finished reading, he opened one of his drawers and pulled out his official noble stationary, the top of it consisting of a black griffin on a green shield with the name "Morgan" written below his coat of arms.  He glanced at the pile of postcards in his drawer and sighed before tossing his stationary lazily on the desk and shutting the drawer.  Grasping his black fountain pen, he started scribbling away on the paper.

XxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxX

Dutch and Hosea walked with their grandkids to the stables to grab their horses The Count and Silver Dollar.  They had expanded the estate and farm in the last three years, adding a brand new stable and making a bigger pasture for the livestock to roam around in.  They'd purchased more horses and even had some foals and yearlings.  The oldest of the young horses was Horus, first son of Liath and Rose.  Horus was a big, iron grey boy with the long, wild black locks but had the sleekness of build and long but thick legs.  He was ready to be trained for saddles since he'd just turned two years old the day before.  Finn, Arthur's young horse trainer, had been trying to get Horus used to a saddle but he wasn't having much luck.

"God damn baby," Finn growled, throwing his black riding cap on the ground.

Dutch and Hosea looked at each other and chuckled.  "Still havin' a hard time with Horus?" Hosea asked.

Finn turned and looked at the men while putting his hands on his hips.  "Yes, unfortunately.  Little bast-I mean...little chiseler," he corrected himself, "keeps actin' like I'm tryin' to break his back with the saddle."

Aoífe giggled and walked enthusiastically over to Horus' stall.  "Allow me, Mr. O'Malley!" she exclaimed before walking in and reaching up her hand to Horus.  "Horus, come here, ya naughty boy."

The horse dipped his head down and pushed his nose into her hand, sniffing deeply.  Aoífe giggled again and rubbed his big nose while Dutch and Hosea both made their way over to watch the spectacle.

"Why are ya givin' Mr. O'Malley such a hard time, aye?" Aoífe cooed softly.

The horse neighed softly and lowered down in the hay before nibbling on Aoífe's skirt.

"Hey, stop that!" Aoífe laughed.  "Yer ruining the silk.  Now tell me what's going on."

Horus made a noise that almost sounded like a laugh and fell over on his side.  Hosea and the other two cocked their heads to one side while they watched her interact with the animal.

"Um..." Hosea began, squinting his eyes and folding his arms loosely over his green fishing vest.  "Correct me if I'm wrong, Dutch, but wasn't...Aoífe's powers supposed to be on lock down?"

Dutch chuckled.  "Relax, Hosea.  I'm pretty sure that she can't actually have a real conversation with a-"

"Yes, I know it feels strange, but ya gotta learn tah be ridden someday," Aoífe went on, stroking Horus' head.  Suddenly she giggled childishly.  "Yes, I'll tell Mr. O'Malley that the saddle is too small and that he's a shite trainer."

The three men dropped their jaws at the girl and the horse.  Arthur Jr. waltzed up to the stall and sighed.

"Aoífe!" he hissed.

Aoífe shifted her head around to look at her brother.  "What?"

Arthur Jr. jerked his head up and rolled his eyes up in the direction of their grandfathers and the glorified stable boy.  Aoífe slowly looked up at the men and gulped.

"Um...I can explain," she squawked out.

Dutch raised his eye brows, took a breath in and leaned his head to one side, folding his arms casually and pivoting at the hip as he stared Aoífe down.  "I bet I'm goin' to love hearin' this..."

Aoífe cleared her throat and slowly stood up, brushing strands of hay off her legs and dress.  "Thing is," Aoífe stood up and started swinging her arms back and forth, "...um...it was Aunt Adair and Uncle Lugh's idea."

"What was their idea?"

"Um..." she bowed her head, still swinging her arms lazily.  "...to give me back me magic...and tah teach me how tah use it."

Dutch looked flabbergasted.  "What?!"

"Eaaaaasy, Dutch," Hosea intervened, putting a hand on his old friend's shoulder.  "I'm pretty sure her father knows about this."

Aoífe sucked in a breath and looked away, as if there was a piece of hay that was suddenly very interesting.

"Aoífe?" Hosea asked suspiciously.  "Your father does know about this, right?"

"Hey, why ain't any of your horses ready yet?"  Everyone turned around to see Arthur Morgan Senior standing there, hands on his hips and a confused look on his face.  "Did I miss somethin'?"

Aoífe slowly walked out of the stall and cleared her throat.  "Daddy, I need tah speak tah yas."

Arthur blinked before going to a knee as his daughter walked to him.  "What is it, sweetheart?"

Aoífe fiddled with her fingers and looked down at them.  "I'm scared tah tell ya, though," she sniffled with tears in her eyes.

Arthur frowned and wrapped up his little girl in his arms.  "Hey, it's okay...you can tell me anythin', Aoífe."

Arthur Jr. made a face of frustration.  "Dad?  I...gotta tell ya something, too."

The older Arthur chuckled as he rubbed Aoífe's back.  "Alright boah, what is it?"

Junior squinted his eyes shut and growled as if he was trying to muster up the courage to speak. 

"Aunt Adair and Uncle Lugh found where Great Auntie Morrigan was keeping Aoífe's magic, so they went and got them, then..." Junior groaned, rubbing his face and looking up.  "...they gave me half of it."

Arthur's face hardened for only a moment, but it was enough to make Junior cringe.  Arthur then relaxed his face, even though he was boiling mad.  He was trying so hard to think of something to say that could cover up how mad he was, but he was drawing a blank.  Suddenly Aoífe snickered.

"Wow, Daddy, yer really mad!" she exclaimed cheekily.

Arthur pulled Aoífe from him to look at her in the face.  "Whatchu mean?"

The redheaded girl quirked her lips to the side and breathed through her nose deeply as she looked at her obviously dumbfounded father.  "Uncle Lugh's been teachin' us how tah control our powers.  Aunt Adair, too, when she can get a chance.  Daddy," she said, clapping a hand on his shoulder and grinning.  "I can talk tah animals and I can feel their emotions.  I can read people.  I can control the weather with me shout...sort of, and I have prophetic dreams...sometimes."

Arthur gulped and his mouth dropped.  "That's uh...heh," he chuckled with a shake of his head.  "That's a real tall order, honey.  I'm...anythin' else?"

Aoífe grinned.  "Well...the fact that both Junior and I dunna talk like normal kids?  It's because we're both geniuses."

Arthur slumped on his ass and chuckled.  "Good golly...I did think you two talked a bit strange sometimes."  He looked at Junior.  "Junior?  What're your powers?"

Junior straightened his back and cleared his throat before looking around for something.  He spotted a wagon wheel and scraped his heels across the floor to it before humming and grasping the wheel by the edges.  With a grunt, Junior lifted the whole thing over his head with ease and turned around, looking at everyone.

"Follow me," he said before walking out of the barn towards the pasture.  Everyone but Finn went running after them, shaking his head.

"How?" he asked, looking up at the stable ceiling.  "How?  How did I end up bein' a horse trainer to a family with super powers?" 

He shook his head and shut Horus' stall door before picking up his cap and chasing after everyone. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3K 144 69
Sequel to "Just Like Old Times". Living at Darach ar an gCnoc in Ireland with former Van der Linde gang members, Lilly Morgan now has two children to...
5.9K 144 10
You meet John's father after your first term of university, and find your growing attraction to him difficult to ignore. | Modern AU Warnings: - 18+ ...
84 2 9
Browsing the many articles and advertisements that described an incredibly dated way of life. And as much as you tried to convince yourself of all th...
458 17 36
Sequel to "Embers in the Dark". Lilly, Rose and O'Callaghan have been trapped behind a cursed door for six months and Arthur and the gang are finall...