BAD HABITS || OUTER BANKS

By allthevibez

She was raised to be the perfect daughter. The kind of girl who other girls were jealous of and that boys wan... More

Bad Habits
[Undergoing Editing again]
01: she's a kook ✩
02: grow up ✩
03: mouse genocide ✩
04: Milwaukee beverage ✩
05: spoiled brat ✩
06: fried Sarah ✩
07: never bailing ✩
08: virgin glory ✩
10: free beer ✩
11: a summer movie ✩
12: natural born enemies ✩
13: a treasure hunt ✩
14: grand entrance ✩
15: powerpuff girls ✩
16: hawk's nest ✩
17: start of time ✩
18: lavender shampoo ✩
19: kook family ✩
20: masterminds ✩
21: hey kiara ✩
22: motion sensors ✩
23: golden sunrise ☆
24: broken memories ☆
25: crackhead wasteland ☆
26: cat's ass ☆
27: rhodes siblings ☆
28: forensic pathology ☆
29: runaway kook ☆
30: void pope ☆
31: mama's mad ☆
32: homeland invasion ☆
33: my boy ☆
34: where's John b ☆
35: tropical depression ☆
sequel?

09: anytime princess ✩

23K 379 449
By allthevibez

"Screw what they think"

--☆--☆--☆--

The sounds of laughter and music filled the pogue's van as JJ drove Kiara back to Figure Eight after a day of adventure. They had just been treated to free food at The Wreck, the restaurant Kiara's family owned and JJ promised Kiara's dad that he'd bring her home safely while he finished closing up.

"Looks like the kooks are partying it up," JJ commented as they drove past Topper's house.

"Of course they are," Kiara scoffed. "The kooks are partying while the rest of us are still recovering from a hurricane."

"Holy shit is that..." JJ slowed down the car when he noticed a certain brunette stumbling her way down the street.

"Emerson Rhodes," Kiara rolled her eyes as JJ put the van in park. "Just ignore her," Kiara told him.

JJ raised his eyebrows as he watched Emerson, clearly in distress, as she walked down the road with a half empty bottle in her hand. "But Kie-"

"She'll be fine," Kiara stated as she got out of the van. "I'll see you in the morning J," she said, then closed the door and walked up to her house.

JJ sat quietly for a moment, watching Emerson. It was clear she had no idea where she was going and would not be able to make it home safely without some kind of intervention. He knew that she wanted nothing to do with him but at this moment he couldn't care less. JJ hopped out of the van then ran across the street closer to where Emerson was.

"Emerson," He called out, maintaining a safe distance between them. The brunette turned around at the sound of her name, quickly wiping her eyes before the pogue got any closer to her. "You okay?" he asked, as he took a couple steps closer.

"Never better," she exclaimed, her words clearly slurred as she lifted up her bottle of vodka. When JJ got closer he could see the tear stains that were left behind on Emerson's cheeks and for a moment he felt bad for the girl. "Never ever been better..." she repeated, this time sounding less sure.

"You need a ride home?" JJ asked her, walking a little bit closer to her.

"No, no... I'm just walking," Emerson lifted the bottle, taking another drink from it, shaking her head at herself. "Walking home... yeah I need to go home."

JJ glanced back at the parked van then looked back at Emerson. "Okay," he said, then came to stand beside her, "then I'm walking with you."

"No. No, I can make it," Emerson groaned then sat down on the curb. "Maybe not." JJ then followed her actions and sat down beside her. He looked over at her, quickly realizing that she had already been looking at him. "What are you even doing here?" 

JJ looked at her for a moment, trying to come up with an answer, even though the truth was he didn't have one. He saw the girl that he had his first crush on and suddenly he was a twelve year old boy again. "You were at the party?" He asked and Emerson didn't seem to notice that he had ignored her question.

"Yeah of course I was," she nodded, her head falling forward dramatically. "It kind of sucked though," she added.

"Well it was a kook party," JJ shrugged, making Emerson nudge him with her shoulder. Not knowing what she was doing she leaned her head on his shoulder making him tense up. Sure JJ could talk up his game a lot, but it came to genuine intimacy he had no clue what he was doing.

"I think I really screwed up tonight," Emerson whispered.

JJ looked down at her, letting out a soft sigh. "How come?" He asked.

"Rafe and I..." She began to say but JJ couldn't help but roll his eyes just hearing his name. "He's gonna be so mad at me. I should've just chilled, but my brain wouldn't shut up," She continued and JJ immediately felt bad for her. "I just couldn't stop thinking about someone," She said, not fully realizing what she was about to admit to.

"Who- who were you thinking about?" JJ asked.

"Uhm..." Emerson took her head off JJ's shoulder looking right at him, "... it doesn't matter. I know he doesn't think about me."

JJ let out a quiet chuckle confusing the drunken kook. "Every guy in Kildare thinks about you Emerson," he told her. "You could literally have any guy you want."

Emerson immediately shook her head, "But I can't," she said softly.

"Why not?" JJ asked.

"Because my family already decided who I'll be spending the rest of my life with," she admitted to him. "They're gonna hate me. Rafe's gonna hate me. It's been two days and I already messed it up." 

"Screw what they think," JJ announced, making Emerson chuckle. "You're sixteen, you don't have to listen to them. Hell, I don't think I've ever listened to something my dad's said to me."

Emerson smiled at the carefree blonde pogue, and for a moment she found herself wanting to lean into him. For a moment she really did think so what if my parents don't approve. But the moment didn't last long due to the contents of Emerson's stomach suddenly wanting to be set free.

She stood and ran a few feet away from JJ. She placed her hand on a nearby telephone pole as she hunched over. Just as the vodka she drank came out through her mouth she felt a hand hold her hair back. Emerson let out a series of coughs as her body tried to fight the alcohol in her system. And the whole time she stood there JJ was by her side, holding her hair back.

Once she was done he was able to convince her into letting him drive her home, so he put his arm around her shoulder allowing him to guide her back to the van. JJ quickly glanced around making sure none of the other kooks were around as he walked to the driver's side of the van. Little did he know that Kiara had been watching from her window, frowning when she saw the actions taking place on the street.

"JJ?" Emerson said quietly, sleep wanting to take over her.

"Hm?"

"Why are you helping me?" She asked. "I mean I thought you said I was just a spoiled brat and a kook."

JJ frowned as he glanced at the sleepy kook sitting in the passenger's seat. "Even if you are a spoiled brat and a kook I couldn't just leave you out there. You'd die if I left you to walk home alone."

"Right," Emerson yawned as she closed her eyes. It didn't take long for JJ to get to the Rhodes' house, he knew where it was since Carter had hired him a couple of times to do odd jobs around the property.

"Emerson," JJ said, tapping on her shoulder lightly trying to wake her up. "Hey, Rhodes," he said but she still didn't budge. "Great," he rolled his eyes as he got out of the car and walked around to open the passenger door.

He tried to wake her up once again, with no luck. Knowing he was out of options JJ carefully put his arms under Emerson's sleeping body and lifted her up out of the seat. He held her bridal style as he walked up to her front door.

JJ hoped with every bone in his body that the front door would be unlocked and just to his luck when he twisted the knob the door opened. "Thank god," he whispered to himself as he kicked the door open with his foot, careful not to make any noise.

He slowly walked up to the second level of the house, making sure that he wouldn't trip while he carried Emerson. When he reached the top floor his eyes widened, he didn't know what he was expecting the inside of a kook's house to look like, but it sure was nicer than he expected. There was only one door left open and JJ made the quick assumption that it belonged to Emerson and walked in.

When JJ walked into the room he instantly knew it was hers. The walls were painted a light shade of blue and the sheets on the bed matched the color. There was a walk-in closet filled with her clothes that also connected to a bathroom which had all her stuff in it. She had pictures all over her wall that showed a side of the kook that JJ rarely saw.

Emerson started to squirm in his arms and JJ carefully laid her down on her bed. He pulled off her white sneakers and set them down beside her bed before pulling the covers over her body.

JJ looked down at her, glad that he got her home safe. He went in to push her hair behind her ear but stopped himself. She didn't want him, she wanted Rafe, she wanted the kook king. JJ stepped away from her and turned around, walking towards the door.

"JJ," Emerson said, her eyes opening again. He turned around, his eyes locking with hers. "Thank you."

"Anytime princess," He smiled before turning off her light and walking out the door.

--☆--☆--☆--☆--☆--

The morning after Topper's party Emerson woke up with one of the worst headaches she's ever experienced. She silently cursed at herself for drinking so much the night before. It took the girl a couple moments for the memories of the party to fully download into her brain and boy when they did she went into full on panic mode.

She was so focused on what happened with Rafe that she was able to forget everything that happened with JJ. Her mind was racing through millions of thoughts and she had to force herself to calm down and stop pacing around her room in the dress she had been wearing the night before.

The sound of someone knocking on her bedroom door immediately caught her attention. "Honey? You awake" Addison's voice came through the other side of the door.

"I'm awake," Emerson announced as she quickly swapped her dress out for one of her oversized shirts so her mom wouldn't know she fell asleep in her dress.

The bedroom door opened just as Emerson sat down on her bed with a ready and attentive expression on her face. "Rafe is here to see you," Addison announced, looking very pleased by her own news.

"He is?" Emerson asked, slightly shocked by her mother's news. She thought Rafe would hate her and she'd be the one running to him for forgiveness.

"He just finished having a conversation with your father," Addison informed her daughter, "and now he wants to talk to you."

"He does?"

"Yes, so put on something nice and come downstairs," Addison said, her words coming out more like an order than a request.

"I'll be right there," Emerson assured her. Addison nodded then walked out of the room closing the door behind her. Emerson quickly ran to her closet and searched through her clothes. She decided on a flowy blue skirt and paired it with a white ribbed tank top and her white high top converse. Just before she ran downstairs she quickly ran a brush through her hair.

When she made it to the bottom of the stairs she saw Rafe waiting for her, her parents standing a few feet behind him. She looked over at Addison seeing the proud smile on her face, for a second she thought she was dreaming. Addison never looked at her like that before. Then there was Carter who just looked happy, and Emerson hated to admit that she loved knowing that she made her parents proud.

"Hey," Rafe greeted softly.

"Hi," She smiled back at him, confusion still present on her face.

"Can I talk to you outside?" He asked and Emerson nodded in response. Rafe held his hand out to her and lead her onto the back patio. Even though the doors were closed it was very obvious that her parents were watching them from inside the kitchen. "First of you look gorgeous," Rafe told Emerson, causing a small smile to appear on her face, "Second about last night..."

"Are you mad?" Emerson asked, her voice laced with worry. "You're mad, aren't you?"

"No, no. I'm not mad, I'd never be mad at you," He said, his words clearly shocking her. "You were drunk and I shouldn't have even tried but... anyways, that's not what I came here to talk about."

"It isn't?"

"No. Actually I wanted to know if you'd be my date to Midsummers this year. I know the timing is weird, especially after last night..." He paused for a moment, like he didn't know what to say next. "I know everyone probably assumed we'd be going together, but I, uh, still wanted to ask," He chuckled awkwardly and Emerson could practically feel her mother's excitement from the kitchen. "I already asked your dad and he gave me his blessing." This didn't surprise Emerson, in fact the only thing that did surprise her was that Rafe didn't ask her in front of them where he knew she wouldn't be able to turn him down. "Please Em, let me be your date."

Emerson didn't need to think of what her answer would be, she's known her answer since she was twelve years old. Her and Rafe going to Midsummer's together was something she'd mentally prepared herself for years. Now he wasn't just Rafe Cameron, Sarah's older brother, he was her Rafe. The boy she'd spend the rest of her life with.

"Yeah," She nodded with a smile on her face, "Okay."

"Okay?"

"We always knew this would happen, right?" She laughed quietly making him chuckle again. "Of course I'll go with you," She said, wishing she'd feel some kind of excitement as the words left her mouth.

Rafe smiled at her as he took a few steps closer to her. He put his hand on her cheek and kissed her lightly. It was different from the kiss she'd experienced the night before, it wasn't unsure or rushed, it was timid, it was the kind of kiss you'd expect to be given when your parents are watching.

Before she knew it a flash went off from inside the house making the two kooks pull away from each other as they looked inside to find Addison on the other side of the glass door with a camera in her hand.

They both laughed quietly before Rafe opened the door allowing Carter and Addison to join them on the patio.

"Congrats son," Carter said, shaking hands with Rafe.

"Oh this is so exciting," Addison gushed. "You two will be the most popular couple at the party."

Rafe and Emerson shared a look of joint embarrassment but smiled nonetheless. After all they have been preparing for this moment since they were kids. "I'm just glad she said yes," Rafe laughed.

"We are too," Addison smiled. Addison glanced at her daughter but it wasn't a proud look it was a warning. It was Addison's subtle way of telling Emerson not to mess this up. She was warning her daughter that if anything bad happened from this point on it would be Emerson's fault, nobody else's.

Carter pulled Emerson away from the other two, his hand on her shoulder. "Emmy, I know that your mother has been hard on you recently-"

"It's fine dad. You don't have to apologize for her," Emerson interrupted.

"- She's just trying to push you to become the amazing young woman I know you'll be," He continued. "You're my little girl and it's been hard for me seeing that you really aren't so little anymore."

"Dad-"

"Just let me get through this, I'm almost done," Carter said and Emerson closed her mouth. "I know I haven't said it a lot but I need you to know that I'm proud of you Emmy and so is your mom."

His words, even though they were so simple, made tears begin to fill Emerson's eyes. It had been so long since she heard him say that and everyday she'd wake up wanting to do the right thing for him. She quickly wrapped her arms around him, "Thank you daddy," she said quietly.

Carter kissed the top of her head, a brief moment of calm taking over as he hugged his daughter. "Okay," he said, pulling away from her, "Go on, have fun," he said then pushed her towards Rafe.

The Cameron boy smiled at her, holding his hand out to her and she happily took it. The two of them walked together, both of them knowing that nothing would ever be the same between them. Emerson was no longer just Sarah's best friend, she was a member of the family. She might as well change her last name to Cameron now because it'd be happening sooner that she realized.

"So where are we going?" Emerson asked once the new couple reached Rafe's car.

"How do you feel about golf?"

(edited 2/25/2023)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

811K 9.1K 26
she was always seen as the 'innocent little sister' by everyone and she didn't want to be anymore
10.2K 368 11
Pete was hired to be Kinn's assistant but ... His cousin Vegas takes him away and keeps him for himself !! VEGASPETE <33
8.1K 133 26
"You're not just another girl with a heartbeat. And I promise you that I'm not going to jump the the next. My ass is staying on the line of the frien...
35.6K 542 24
Tayvis one-shots! I will be writing smut. This is my first time writing so patience plz😭Also pleaseeee give ideas and thoughts in comments!!!