03: mouse genocide ✩

"This is Lana Grubbs, Scooter's wife,"

--☆--☆--☆--

It had been a long time since Kildare faced a hurricane as bad as Agatha. All through the night she took out anything that crossed her path leaving behind a mess that will take weeks for the Kildare residents to clean. Now the power was out, the roads were blocked, there were trees in people's living rooms, and not enough pogues to clean the mess.

So when Emerson Rhodes woke up the next morning she was greeted with the sounds of people using leaf blowers and chainsaws to fix up her house so she wouldn't have to. She forced herself out of bed immediately noticing how uncomfortably warm her room was.

After Emerson felt semi awake she began to change into her clothing for the day. She slipped into her favorite teal bikini and paired some jean shorts and a tank top with it, knowing that no one would care what she wore the day after a hurricane. She pulled her hair into a ponytail, wanting to keep it off her neck for the day, then ran downstairs.

Before she entered the dining room she plastered a smile on her face, just in case there were any workers in the house. She knew her mother would throw a fit if she walked in looking ungrateful. With a smile on her face she walked in noticing her younger brother Hayden sitting comfortably while eating some fruit salad.

"You don't have to smile, everyone's already outside," Hayden told his older sister, her smile falling seconds later.

"Thank god," she sighed before sitting down where a bowl of the same fruit salad was waiting for her arrival. The siblings laughed quietly before going back to eating their breakfast.

Emerson and Hayden always had a good relationship, the fact that they were close in age helped that a lot. They rarely ever fought and if they did it was over something pointless and they'd be fine an hour later. Both of them were the ideal kook children, raised to have good manners and had smiles that were able to hide any "ugly" emotions. Their mother had told them since the day they were born to only show any positive emotions; everything else can be saved for later, so that's what they did. They pretended that any anger, sadness, or pain didn't exist until they were alone in their room. Any anger that was shown was purely superficial and only shown in the direction of the pogues or other minor inconveniences.

"Did you sleep through the storm?" Hayden asked.

"Pretty much, you?"

"Well I didn't sleep but it wasn't because of the storm," Hayden answered. As soon as they got quiet the sounds of hushed whispers in the kitchen became louder and more noticeable. It was difficult for the siblings to decipher exactly what was being said but they both knew it was their parents arguing, again. They thought the kids had no idea they fought, but it was hard to keep secrets with two nosy teenagers.