The Red Queen (Editing)

By lightning1057

The Eldest daughter of Floki the Boatbuilder becomes the best friend of the sons of Ragnar. She goes with the... More

Meet the Characters
Prologue
Invasion
Eye for an Eye
Answers in Blood
Unforgiven
Blood Eagle
Boneless
The Lord's Prayer
Act 2
Mercenary
Warrior's Fate
Scarred
The Userper
Born Again
Breaking Point
Act 3
A Good Treason
Kill the Queen
Mercy
Yol
Promised
What Might Have Been
The Profit and the Loss
Portage
The Last Ship
The Outsider
The Vision
Two Journeys
In the Uncertain Hour Before the Morning
All His Angels
Crossings
The Great Army
Revenge
On the Eve
The Reckoning
Act 4
The Departed Pt1
The Departed Pt2
Homeland
The Plan
The Prisoner
The Message
Full Moon
The Joke
A Simple Story
Moments of Vision
The Revelation
Murder Most Foul
A New God
The Lost Moment
Hell
The Buddha
The Most Terrible Thing
Baldur and Yrsa
What Happens in the Cave
Ragnarok
Act 5
New Beginnings
The Prophet
Ghosts, Gods, and Running Dogs
All the Prisoners
The Key
Death and The Serpent
The Ice Maiden
Valhalla Can Wait
Resurrection
The Best Laid Plans
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20

Treachery

4.5K 100 7
By lightning1057

After a few short weeks of Ragnar's absence, Aslaug had given birth to her new baby. Sigurd Snake-in-the-Eye. He was given this name after Aslaug's father, who had died slaying the dragon Fafnir. The shape of that same beast took place in Sigurd's eye, distorting his pupil into a long, winding line. 

After the baby was born, Aslaug had allowed yourself, her sons and Helga to visit. While the other children ran to their mother, Helga gently lifted yourself and Hvitserk onto the bed with a fond smile. Ubbe curiously leaned against his mother, staring down at the little boy as Hvitserk made his way forward. 

Aslaug smiled softly, gesturing for you to join them all. Quietly, you crawled forward and sat at Ubbe's side, the two of you admiring the young boy with smiles. 

"He's so small." Ubbe said, tilting his head as the baby moved slightly in his sleep. 

"You were once this small, Ubbe. Just as Hvitserk and Astrid were." Helga spoke up from beside the bed, her own eyes trying to get a peek at the boy. 

You reached your hand toward the little baby which he clung onto as he cooed. "He's so cute." You gasped, doe-eyes wide with amazement as the women in the room chuckled.

-

Far away from Kattegat, in Gotland, Jarl Borg and his new wife smiled as they walked into the large hall. They were welcomed with cheers, applause and laughter, along with the tune of lively music. They walked around the large table of people, moving to the two large, empty seats at the head of the hall. 

Waiting until the married pair were seated, the music and applause stopped as the crowd joined them in sitting at the table. Jarl Borg soon stood, shaking his head when his people went to do the same. After ensuring that they all remained seated, the man sighed. 

"Friends, family... what's left of it, I am married for the second time. As most of you know, my first marriage lasted less than an hour, because my own brother poisoned the drinks that day. Of course, the same thing can never happen twice, so let the wine be poured."

The crowd cheered, banging their golden cups and horns onto the long table in celebration. Jarl Borg reached for a large pitcher, pouring the red liquid into the cup before him. Holding it up, he faced his people. "Now, who will be the first to drink in celebration?"

Murmurs erupted as the people glanced at each other, none clearly wanting to take the risk of being poisoned in such a way. Torvi, Jarl Borg's new wife, smiled as she stood. "I will." 

The man stared at her as she took his cup, giving her a short nod as she gripped his arm. The kind woman smiled, looking to her new people before going to take a sip. Suddenly, the cup was taken from her soft hands. 

"No. No, I could not bear it, not a second time. Let me taste the wine!"

Jarl Borg glanced at Torvi, sighing as he brought the cup to his lips and downed the drink in one go. Soon, however, mere seconds after he had felt it slip down his throat... he began to cough. He cleared his throat, coughing again and a third time.

His people sat up in alarm, most staring in worry as he leaned against the table. Had he been poisoned?

Jarl Borg smirked, nodding to the pitchers all over the table. "That's good enough. Skol!"

The crowd sighed in relief, laughing as they raised their own cups and cheered. They poured their drinks, most taking large and eager gulps. After Torvi and Jarl Borg placed a kiss on each other's lips, everyone sat down. But before the feast could begin, Jarl Borg raised his hand. The crowded hall fell silent, each looking to their Lord in confusion. 

"I have something else important to say. I don't wish to dampen the celebrations, but you all know that the agreement between myself, King Horik and Ragnar Lothbrok has been broken. They have gone raiding west without me, without us! It is an insult not just to me, but to all of  you. And now, also to my wife and to my wife's family. I have to do something about this insult."

"Frankly, I blame King Horik more for what has happened, but at the same time consider what is happening to Earl Ragnar's lands. He has abandoned them to the care of his wife and his drunken brother. In order to punish those who have insulted my family, I declare today that I will seek vengeance against Ragnar Lothbrok. By all the gods, I swear that I will seize all his lands, and I will repay his brother's treachery with the axe!"

Again, for the third time that day, the people cheered and clapped. They banged their cups on the table,clearly excited at the prospect of a battle. 

-

No less than a week later, you and Ubbe had been playing on the beach, wrestling with one another. Taking a break from the tiring games, you both sat at the beach, leaning against each other. As Ubbe played with the sand, you looked out at the water and admired the gentle waves lapping at the beach. 

In the distance, you could faintly make out a group of ships as they sailed over the fjord. You tilted your head, not recognizing the sails as they were lowered. Excited, you stood from your seat on the sand. Was it Ragnar and his men? Was it Floki? Had they all returned so quickly?

Turning, you scanned the beach to see if anyone else had noticed them when your eyes found Siggy. The woman was standing in the market, having been about to buy a fur when you called out her name. 

"Siggy!" 

Turning to look at you, the woman quickly rushed over, in fear that you or Ubbe had been hurt. "Astrid! What is it?!"

"Look!"

You pointed towards the water and soon, she saw the same as you, along with many fisherman and workers that looked towards the water. Ubbe stood from his place, squinting as he attempted to make out those sailing towards Kattegat. 

Siggy's eyes widened, her grip on your shoulder tightening. "Go inside and find Aslaug. I will find Rollo. For now, stay in the Earl's hall." She ordered as she shooed you and Ubbe away from the beach.

You both ran through the streets of Kattegat, running towards the hall. After explaining to a concerned Aslaug what's happening, her eyes widened in panic as many people moved throughout the town and in the buildings, searching for things to build barricades with, or looking for a weapon to use.

The ships had not been Ragnar, nor any of King Horik's boats. Instead, they belonged to Jarl Borg. He was going to attack...

"Rollo, what is it? What is happening?" Aslaug asked as she held Ubbe and Hvitserk's hands while Helga held you in her arms. The woman shushed your sniffling whimpers, gently patting your back as she looked to the warrior. 

"Jarl Borg. He has come back to attack us." The man answered, grunting as he lifted his sword and tied it around his waist. 

"Jarl Borg?" Helga asked, her wide eyes finding those of Aslaug. The Princess frowned, bringing the woman even closer. 

"I'm sure it is him. Ragnar and King Horik broke their agreement with him. He has returned to gain his revenge."

"What are we going to do?" Aslaug asked warily, watching as Rollo looked to her. 

"What do you think we're going to do? We're going to fight." Rollo answered before looking down at Helga. "Helga, you must go to your home in the woods. When Ragnar returns, he'll be walking into a trap. You can stop them. You must leave now, before Jarl Borg gets here. Build a way to signal Ragnar and his men when they come. Can you do that?"

Helga, despite her racing heart, nodded. 

"No, Mama!" You cried, gripping her tighter as she agreed. You locked her n a tight embrace, refusing to let her go. 

"Astrid, I must go there now. If I don't, when Ragnar returns... your father, Ragnar, Torstein, Athelstan, all of them will die."

You let out another cry, gripping your mother tighter until she handed you to Aslaug who, quite literally, had to peel you out of your mother's arms.

"I love you, Astrid." Helga said, placing a kiss on your temple before rushing out of the Earl's hall as Aslaug held you. The woman wiped away your tears, frowning as Helga departed. She adjusted her grip on you, grabbing onto Hvitserk. 

"Come, children. Let us prepare. Hurry now."

-

By now, the ships were incredibly close to Kattegat. Siggy ran into the Great Hall, explaining that she was to take anyone who could not fight through the path up to the mountains. With Aslaug carrying Sigurd, Siggy ushered yourself and the sons of Ragnar from the hall and into the crowd of people. Most carried blankets, food, water but without shelter, who knows how long you would last?

"This way. Go, children. Run. Quickly." Siggy ordered, pointing to where Aslaug was helping shoo the people along. 

You ran and ran until you were high enough up in the mountains to not be seen. Now, you were forced to wait and watch as the men jumped from Jarl Borg's ships and attacked the shores of Kattegat.

It was a brutal attack with many lives lost on both sides. Everywhere you looked, blood coated the sand as dead bodies littered the earth. The people of Kattegat stood no chance against fully trained warriors. They were farmers, healers, traders, and citizens. Jarl Borg's men spared no mercy as they killed everyone in sight.

Rollo was soon forced to retreat, ordering all the remaining citizens he could out of the town.  Soon enough, they joined you in watching as Kattegat fell into Jarl Borg's greedy hands. Some homes were burned, others were raided in search of Aslaug and her children. 

At this point, you were in tears. Without your own family, you were scared and worried.   You wanted to go home and play with your toys and pretend that nothing ever happened. The fear and worry kept swallowing you as everything went silent other than a few shrieks heard from your beloved home. 

Rollo soon decided that it was time to flee. With no other choice, you were forced deeper into the mountains, sniffling and whimpering as Siggy carried you. Ubbe and Hvitserk rested in Rollo's arms, while Aslaug carried Sigurd nearby. 

As the small group moved over rough terrain, you could not help but remember that there was no town nearby, not unless you were willing to travel a great distance. But soon, the snow would fall. You would not have the time to travel so far. Where would you go now?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.8K 268 13
"I wasn't born to be soft and quiet. I was born to make the world shake at my fingertips." Hildr had been born just a year before her sister, Angrboð...
89.4K 857 17
Requests open King Alfred Bishop Heahmund Ubbe Ivar the boneless Bjorn Ironside Hvitserk King Harald Halfdan Floki Ragnar MATURE CONTENT 18+ N...
86.6K 2.1K 36
The gods have spoken, One of Ragnar sons will marry a Queen. This new King leaves the queen new challenges to face, ones she has never faced before.
35.8K 1.1K 45
❝ SHE HAS THE MINDSET OF A QUEEN AND THE HEART OF A WARRIOR SHE IS EVERYTHING ALL AT ONCE AND TOO MUCH FOR ANYONE WHO DOESN'T DESERVE HER ❞ - RH - A...