The Uprising

By xxAleshaxB

In the dystopian society of Orion, the island faces a massive political war. The instability of Orion's polit... More

Author's Note
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35

CHAPTER 8

81 14 0
By xxAleshaxB

༛ ༛༺༻༛ ༛

Jordon takes us almost half way across St.Maris, to Greendale Apartments. It wasn't exactly what I called low-key. But I doubt we would be in danger here since it is said to be the safest place on the island. I had to share a room with Kayla, which was fine. Usually, I would be picky about having my own space and who let into my space; seeing the situation at hand; space was thing anyone should be worrying about.

Jason was here, and he ignored me. I wanted to ask him about Tae again, but I didn't bother. It was surprising that I even care about him.

Absolutely nothing made sense. All I knew were two facts— Kayla's nephew was the one who planned this. Lia is still missing, and I keep coming back to the same question every time.

How do I fit into all of this? What did any of this have to do with me?

Daniel's words kept replaying in my mind. "You are worth a lot to the right people." If I was going to entrust my life to strangers, I had to find out why. Why couldn't someone give me the answers? Why was everyone so mysterious about the whole thing?

Somebody better start talking.

I got up off my bed and went to the door. "Where are you going?" Kayla asks, frightened.

"Don't worry I'm just going for a walk. I'll be back."

She nods and went back on her phone. I left the room to find Jason. We were only a few meters away from each other. Upon reaching the designated area, I raised my hand to knock on the door.

"He won't help you," Jordon spoke from behind me, and my hand fell to my side. He was staying in the room across from Jason and Dash. Jordon used the door frame to support his weight.

"And why is that?" I was bewildered by the fact that he knew why I was searching for Jason.

"Because he was ordered not to tell you anything. I wasn't"

"Then tell me."

He ticked his head towards his room, and I followed him inside; he took a seat on the bed, and I sat next to him. "I want to know everything."

"I can't tell you everything, but I can tell you enough so that you may understand why this is happening to you."

"That's fair."

I was grateful for any amount of information, even if it wasn't a full explanation. "I was assigned to you since we went to the same university," he pauses and allows me to sink that piece of information in. I signal with my hands for him to continue. "First year was the easiest since you were technically a nerd and didn't go anywhere."

"I wasn't a nerd and it's creepy that you were actually following me around." I point out, then allow him to speak again.

"Anyways, you weren't in danger, so after a while, we didn't pay much attention to you."

"We as in Daniel, Jason and Tae"

"The Three Rings and someone else..." His voice trails off, but then he proceeds. "Dash was supposed to intercept you the day before you went back on campus, but that would raise suspicions and we weren't"

"Stop, stop, stop. Why would he need to prevent me from going on campus?"

"Because we knew the explosion was going to happen. We didn't have enough time to plan anything, which is why–"

"Daniel came to save me himself, then you used your aunt to allow him to take me from the hospital because he thought I was the target," I finished, finally figuring out the piece of the puzzle.

"That's right"

"Was I the target?"

"No, it didn't seem so the attack was random."

"That's why he let me go because I wasn't in danger...but why me? Why protect me? What did I do the earn this type of protection?"

"I can't tell you that. All you need to know is someone wants you alive, and it's our job to keep it that way"

"Can you give me a hint?"

"I can't"

At least he told me enough. Now I know why I was here, even if it wasn't very clear. "Do I have anything to do with what's happening now?"

"No, this is just a simple turf war."

"Simple? I saw one of your gang members died and the other one is in the next room injured."

"Trust me, that's just a Thursday in our job"

I could only imagine what a Friday was like. Today is Friday. I might get a chance to experience it. Not that I wanted to. I hated feeling like I'm about to die, and that's how I felt.
Right on queue, I hear shots being fired somewhere in the building. The ringing in my ears told me it was  close by.

"Stay here," Jordon demand and I watch as he put on his black vest, gets his handgun, then carefully peer outside the door, after which he steps into the hallway, leaving the door slightly open.

I heard a few more shots being fired, and Jordon hadn't return. I know it had only been a minute though it felt like hours. I decide to leave the room to find him.

He wasn't in the hallway. I kept on alert just in case anyone with a gun comes this way. I knock on Jason's door but didn't get a response, my mind went to Kayla, and I head back to our room. She was gone too.

I should have hide but instead, I chose to follow the sound of gunfire.  The sound leads to ladder attached to a hatch. Once I climb through the hatch, I'm on the roof, the sun's rays causes me to shield my eyes and prevents me from seeing much.

Someone crashes into me, the force brings me down. I felt like my rib cage was going to break. When I opened my eyes, Jordon was hovering over me. "Which part of stay in the room did you not understand?!" He curses.

A few more shots were fired, and one of the bullets ricocheted off the wall behind us. I realize they are large crates shielding us from the attackers. Through the crates, I could see Jason taking cover behind another set of crates. There were three men on the other side hiding behind a small stone cupola. One of them would poke their head out and shoots at Jason then he would return rounds of his own.

"Stay here."

Jordon swiftly made his way over to Jason and helps him by shooting at the cupola. One of the opposers throws a small metallic ball at the crates. The last thing I see is Jason and Jordon covering their heads.

The explosion sent the crates tumbling down and my body over the edge of the building. My hands catches  the onto the ledge; my whole body dangling off the edge. I take one look down, and I scream out of fear.

I knew I wasn't strong enough to pull myself back up, but I try. The smoke from the bomb made my eyes burn and that makes matters worse. My fingers were slipping, and I doubt Jason or Jordon were in a position to help me.

I couldn't hold on anymore, my hands slip, and I was about to fall—I was about to die. A gasp escape my lips. That's when I saw him.

Atticus Edwards.

It felt as if time slows down as he catches my arm and pulls me up. My chest was filled with butterflies when my feet safety touches the roof.

He retreats into the smoke—looking back at me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Inexplicable By .

Science Fiction

315 33 17
In the year 2117, constant pollution and nuclear bombing has taken its toll. The human body itself has gotten to point where the immune system is slo...
25.3K 1.1K 45
DIAMONDS IN THE DARK ⍚ A secret baby, a secret city and a turf war between the most powerful soldiers ever created. The Zenith Alphas are coming to t...
82.3K 4.9K 22
For 1000 years, a wolf was chained and kept alone as a punishment, without anyone to love him. He grew bitter and bitter, wanting to destroy earth an...
229K 9.7K 34
When an Alien ship came to anchor just outside Earth's atmosphere and contacted humans for the first time, the whole planet was in an uproar. People...