The Red Queen (Editing)

By lightning1057

The Eldest daughter of Floki the Boatbuilder becomes the best friend of the sons of Ragnar. She goes with the... More

Meet the Characters
Prologue
Treachery
Eye for an Eye
Answers in Blood
Unforgiven
Blood Eagle
Boneless
The Lord's Prayer
Act 2
Mercenary
Warrior's Fate
Scarred
The Userper
Born Again
Breaking Point
Act 3
A Good Treason
Kill the Queen
Mercy
Yol
Promised
What Might Have Been
The Profit and the Loss
Portage
The Last Ship
The Outsider
The Vision
Two Journeys
In the Uncertain Hour Before the Morning
All His Angels
Crossings
The Great Army
Revenge
On the Eve
The Reckoning
Act 4
The Departed Pt1
The Departed Pt2
Homeland
The Plan
The Prisoner
The Message
Full Moon
The Joke
A Simple Story
Moments of Vision
The Revelation
Murder Most Foul
A New God
The Lost Moment
Hell
The Buddha
The Most Terrible Thing
Baldur and Yrsa
What Happens in the Cave
Ragnarok
Act 5
New Beginnings
The Prophet
Ghosts, Gods, and Running Dogs
All the Prisoners
The Key
Death and The Serpent
The Ice Maiden
Valhalla Can Wait
Resurrection
The Best Laid Plans
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20

Invasion

6.5K 140 6
By lightning1057

Standing in the market with Ubbe, you giggled as you played with a goat. The animal remained tied to a small post, allowing you and Ubbe to interact with it. Nearby, your mothers turned a corner. As you and Ubbe were so close in age, both Helga and Aslaug had become good friends since the time of your birth.

"Astrid. Come now!" Helga called with a warm smile. The blonde woman walked arm-in-arm with Aslaug, both wrapped in large, fur cloaks.

Both you and Ubbe turned, the boy pushing you back so that he was in the lead as he ran towards the women. You pouted as he did so, running after him nonetheless to embrace Helga. As she squeezed you tight, wrapping your cloak tighter around your small frame, you looked up to Aslaug. The woman, pregnant with her third child, smiled in return as she grasped Ubbe's small hand.

When you were born, Helga and Floki had moved to Kattegat so you could make friends and be happier than in the woods far away from friends and family. Despite this, Floki kept the home so far away for when he built his boats. Now, your home was on the outskirts of Kattegat, located in the woods past a long and powerful stream.

"Where is Hvitserk?" You asked, looking to Aslaug.

The Princess smiled brightly, bending down slightly to grab onto your free hand. "Let's go see what he's doing, young Astrid."

"Alright." You giggled, moving through the streets once more. Along the way to Aslaug and Ragnar's shared home, Helga had departed to the marketplace once more so that she might buy the supplies she needed for dinner.

As Aslaug led the two of you closer to the large home, the woman bent low once more, whispering to you and Ubbe. "Go and find Hvitserk."

You followed Ubbe, the pair of you running into Ragnar's home with a smile. Young Hvitserk, only a toddler, moved as fast as his little feet would allow him in order to greet you. Aslaug followed in afterwards, brushing the snow off her fur cloak.

"We found him!" Ubbe cheered as Hvitserk ran to his mother, the young boy grabbing at the fabric of her fancy dress. With a smile, Aslaug picked up her youngest son and held Ubbe's hand.

"Astrid, hold Ubbe's hand. We don't want you to get lost." She reminded gently, watching with a warm smile as you grasped Ubbe's hand, the boy keeping you at his side. It was almost as if she had a daughter of her own.

When Aslaug assured that everyone was with her, she moved forward and led you out of the home. Walking across the street, she moved into the Great Hall. A large crowd had gathered, most sitting around the fire to warm themselves while others were already buried in their cups.

With nothing else to do, you joined Ubbe and Hvitserk in running about the hall, much to Aslaug's dismay. When you grew too tired to run anymore, you moved to the first familiar person you saw. Torstein, a good friend of your father's, smiled when you ran to him. He lifted you into his arms, allowing you to sit on his lap. Soon enough, both Floki and Helga came in from the cold winter air, walking towards the fire.

"Floki!!" Many people cheered, clearly happy to see the famous boatbuilder. Torstein stood, still holding you and gave your father a hug and smacked the man on the shoulder.

"Hello, Floki!" He said before looking down at your mother. "Helga!" He greeted as he hugged the woman.

"Torstein, you're standing in the way of the fire." A cold and frustrated Floki complained as he took you from his friends arms and quickly sat down. "As usual." Your father grunted as he wrapped you in his fur coat.

"Hello, Priest." Floki said, drinking ale as he looked to Athelstan. The man was from a faraway land, discovered by Earl Ragnar. It was called the West. It was a land filled with fertile land, strange Gods and even stranger people. Athelstan, despite now being a Viking, used to worship this false God.

Athelstan stared at your father before he spoke in Old Norse."What priest would know your language, old fool?" He asked. Torstein spit out his drink in laughter as you let out a giggle."Why do you still say such things?" Athelstan asked as Helga sat beside him, smiling as she handed you your toy.

You reached forward, taking the toy from her hands with a grin. It was a small boat, one that Floki had carved for you himself.

"So where is he?" Floki asked. "Where is our Earl?"

"Behind you." Torstein smirked. Looking up, you saw your Uncle Ragnar holding his son. As Ubbe waved at you, Ragnar sat beside your father with a heavy sigh. He smiled, gently pinching your nose in greeting.

"Hey, Ubbe!" Floki laughed, nudging your friends arm.

"Hello, Floki!" The 4 year old boy smiled.

"We've kind of missed you." Ragnar said to Floki, smiling as you pushed his hand away.

"Well, I've been busy like a dwarf, building your new boats, Ragnar Lothbrok. Even in the ice and the snow." Floki said, sipping more ale from his horn.

"Your father's so busy, little Astrid, yet he still has so much time to complain." Ragnar said causing both you and Ubbe to giggle as you looked to the man.

"The boats are nearly finished." Floki whispered. "I think we all want to know where we'll be raiding this summer."

"Every year, your people wonder when you will order another raid West and every year you disappoint them." Torstein spoke up, earning a nod of agreement from your father.

"I've even heard some people say that Earl Ragnar is becoming like Earl Haroldson." Floki said

"Let me put their minds at ease." Ragnar smirked, looking to Ubbe as he spoke.

"You should." Floki nodded.

Ragnar stood, taking Ubbe with him as he moved towards his large seat at Aslaug's side. Ubbe huffed as the man dropped him to his feet, already bored without his best friend or his little brother at his side.

"Welcome, everyone!" Ragnar greeted as he faced his people. "As you all know, it has taken a long time to prepare ourselves. To build our ships, and to replace the young men and women that we lost to the plague. But now? Now, we are ready! This summer, we shall finally go west again."

The crowd began cheering and clapping, most slamming their horns together until Ragnar spoke again

"We will return to England, for that land was so... generous for us the last time." Ragnar laughed, the people joining him as they remembered how easy it had been to obtain so many riches. "But this time, we shall not go alone. For King Horik and Jarl Borg have agreed to join us. And perhaps we will not have to return so quickly, but stay in their land for a while, explore it. Maybe we'll even winter there. Who knows? But, I tell you, these are interesting times. The world is changing and we must change with it. We must act together, for everyone's sake. Now that I have put your minds to rest, who is hungry?"

Cheers and shouts of agreement and happiness rung throughout the hall as the feast began.

-

You peeked out from behind the doorway as King Horik entered the Great Hall, tilting your head as you laid eyes on him. The man was not as tall as you had expected. He was also plump, had long hair and a full beard. Wearing a fancy tunic, the man grinned as he made his way towards Ragnar.

"King Horik!" Your Uncle greeted. "Welcome indeed."

The two men embraced, clapping each other on the back as Horik spoke. "Earl Ragnar, my great friend."

When the two pulled away from one another, Ragnar sighed. "I heard you came by horse. Where are your ships?"

"My ships are being prepared. I could not wait. I have waited an eternity already." Horik panted, grinning as a thrall brought both him and Ragnar a cup of ale. He then gestured to the two young men at his sides. "I said to my sons, hmm, 'I have to set off. I cannot even wait for the ice to melt.' My ships will arrive soon enough."

Ragnar nodded, turning to face King Horik's two sons. "And I look forward to getting to know your sons and introducing mine. But there is someone here you will well remember."

You gasped softly as the men turned, going to run back into the room where your friends and father sat, yet halted when you heard the Earl speak. "Ah... and this little one is Astrid! Daughter of my dear friend Floki. You remember Floki, King Horik?"

The King nodded, watching as Ragnar lifted you into the air. Now, he could get a good look at your face. he hummed softly, examining your eyes. "Yes, I remember Floki... A great boatbuilder and a great warrior. You are lucky to have such a man as your father, Astrid."

"Thank you, King Horik." You replied quietly. Ragnar placed a gentle hand on the back of your head, bringing you to rest on his shoulder as he continued through the hall. Soon, he placed you back down.

In the room sat Jarl Borg, a man that neither King Horik nor Earl Ragnar enjoyed the presence of. Four years earlier, a great battle took place between Jarl Borg, King Horik and Ragnar. They fought for hours and lost many men, including many of Ragnar and Floki's childhood companions.

While Borg ate, you moved to your father with a smile. The boatbuilder was sat on the ground, having been playing with Ubbe under Aslaug's kind gaze when you joined them. For your safety, Floki held the two of you tighter and glared at Jarl Borg, allowing both of you to play with your toys.

It was clear on King Horik's face that he remained displeased with Jarl Borg, something that Ragnar took note of. Your playing slowed, your watchful eyes observing the three men.

"I can see, King Horik, that you're not to delighted to see me, but I hope you're not surprised." Jarl Borg said. "We all made an agreement to raid and I've come to honour it."

"The last time we met, Jarl Borg, I had the distasteful task of burying many of my kinsmen and friends. And for the past four years, I've been paying you profits from my lands." Horik huffed. "But still, it is true, I am not surprised to see you."

"Good." Borg nodded, eyes slowly trailing to Ragnar.

Footsteps were heard outside of the room, revealing Rollo and Torstein as they walked in from the main hall. Floki's face darkened at the sight of Ragnar's older brother, as it should. During the same battle between Horik, Ragnar and Jarl Borg, Rollo had nearly murdered your father. Even today, years later, Floki had horrible scars lining his sides and back.

Jarl Borg had been shocked to see that his former ally was still alive but remained silent as Horik spoke up, his watchful eyes darting back and forth between Ragnar and his brother.

"Is this not Rollo, the brother who fought against us?" Horik hissed, pointing at the large man.

"Yes." Ragnar answered, sipping from his horn.

"And you spared his life?" Horik asked in outrage, his eyes wide with fury as Rollo cast his eyes downward in shame.

"The Gods spared his life." Ragnar corrected.

"What is your decision?" Rollo asked, the man holding his breath as he awaited Ragnar's response.

"I accept you back, Rollo. I acknowledge you as my brother, but I forbid you to raid with us." Ragnar sighed

"I accept your judgment." Rollo answered, slowly nodding as he turned and left the room.

-

That night, there was a grand feast for King Horik's arrival. Your family remained at home, yet everyone in Kattegat had gathered in the Great Hall. Laughter and drinks were shared among Viking men and women, even by enemies.

King Horik, seated at Aslaug's side, turned to face the woman. "I have to tell you, Princess Aslaug, it is the greatest privilege and honor to be seated beside you, the daughter of Sigurd."

"Thank you, King Horik." She smiled. "Such a compliment from a man like you is always welcome."

"Mm." He smiled. "Oh, it is true, I've also slain dragons, just like your father. Unfortunately, like most men, the dragons were only inside my head."

Nearby, Ragnar leaned forward. Horik's eldest son and heir to his throne sat across from him. The Earl tilted his head as he chewed his food, observing the young man. "How old are you, Ari?"

The man across the table swallowed what he had in his mouth before sighing. "Seventeen. Nearly Eighteen."

"Will this be your first raid?" Ragnar asked.

"Yes." Ari sighed. "I can't wait to prove myself in battle. I want my father to be proud of me."

Ragnar smiled. "I have a son about your age."

Ari tilted his head now. "Where is he? I would like to meet him."

Ragnar's smile faded now, twitching as he attempted to keep the look of joy on his face. "I do not know where he is. But that is by his choice. I should never have mentioned him. Drink, please."

Ari curtly nodded, swallowing down the last of his ale. As he did so, Horik's hand came to Ragnar's shoulder, the King leaning towards the Earl. "I have made a decision. I do not wish Jarl Borg to raid with us."

Ragnar's face fell completely now. "But we had an agreement. Why not?"

"Why do you not want your brother beside you?" Horik asked, both men looking at Rollo as he sat at the end of the table. "Because you don't trust him enough. It is the same for me with Jarl Borg. I cannot bring myself to trust him completely. You must inform him of our decision."

Before Ragnar could argue, Horik leaned back in his seat and left the Earl to his thoughts. The King sipped from his golden cup, only to meet Jarl Borg's gaze. The blonde man raised his own cup to the King.

"Skol." Borg said.

"Skol." Horik replied, the two continuing to drink.

-

When the ice had finally melted, six of King Horik's ships sailed into the fjord, heading towards Kattegat. Many people gathered to watch, for it was always a great day when royalty sails to your home to help bring riches back for the people. You and Floki were among them, your father glaring at the ships as you sat high on his shoulders.

"Are you jealous?" Ragnar asked as you all watched the ships sail closer.

Floki let out a scoffing chuckle. "They won't even make it out of the fjord."

Ragnar laughed, patting Floki's shoulder before he approached Horik. "They are beautiful, King Horik."

-

Later that day, Ragnar had returned to the Hall to find Jarl Borg standing at the large doorway. The Earl sighed, moving to approach the man. "Jarl Borg. Thank you for waiting."

The blonde man nodded as he stepped forward, placing both hands on Ragnar's shoulders. "So... when do we set sail?"

Ragnar sighed once more. "Forgive me, Jarl Borg, but we have decided not to seek your help."

Borg remained silent for a long moment. "I thought we had an agreement."

"It is not my desire to break that agreement." Ragnar replied. "Believe me, I wish it to remain intact... but on this occasion-"

"On this occasion?" Borg hissed. "On this occasion, the silver thread is slit, the golden cup breaks... and the pail is smashed at the spring."

With that, the angry Viking stormed off, kicking a bucket on his way.

-

Sitting in the hall, you snuggled against your mother's side as Floki entered with an excited giggle, sliding his axe into place of his belt. He frowned, tilting his head as he saw your pout. The man glanced up at Helga, watching as his woman only shook her head with a sigh.

"Astrid? What's wrong?" Floki asked, kneeling in front of where you sat.

"I do not want you to go, Papa." You said, eyes focusing on the man. His expression went from worried to a warm smile, gently bringing you to his own arms.

"Oh, little Astrid. The Gods will protect me in battle. There is no need to worry, I swear it." He said. "You'll grow into a fine woman, Astrid. Beautiful and brave. A shield maiden." He said, placing a kiss on your temple. "I love you more then anything in this world and the next."

Now, Floki was the frowning one as he released you,standing from where he knelt. Nearby, Ragnar waved you over, "Astrid, come here." He gently called from across the large room.

"Go on." Helga whispered as she let you go. You walked over and soon, you were standing before the Earl and beside Ubbe.

"You'll be a good girl and do what your mother tells you, correct?" He asked playfully, adjusting your little cloak.

"Yes, Uncle." You nodded.

"I have something for you." Ragnar said. "Both of you." He reached into his pocket and pulled out two small wooden swords. You smiled as you grabbed yours, admiring the fine detail that had been carved into the handle. Ubbe wore no smile as he held his own small sword to his chest, a small frown on his lips. Ragnar sighed softly, bringing his son into a tight embrace. "I love you."

After releasing his young son, he playfully pinched your sides until a brighter smile appeared, soon bringing you into an embrace of his own. His lips grew closer to your ear, grinning as he spoke. "Now go play, little one."

He let you go, placing a kiss on your forehead before you and Ubbe ran off, Hvitserk trying his best to follow. The adults in the room smiled when you and Ubbe began to play, using the wooden swords that had been given to you.

Helga moved to sit at your side, bringing Hvitserk to rest on her lap as she watched the two of you play. She turned, looking over her shoulder as Ragnar and Floki began to depart, sending her husband a soft smile before he disappeared.

-

Three long days without your father had passed, and you had already grown bored. Seated with Aslaug in her bed, the woman smiled as she gently brushed through your hair. It was these moments she enjoyed the most with you.

She may adore her sons, but she craved for a daughter. She had always imagined herself buying little dresses and styling her daughter's hair. She was thankful for whenever Helga had been too busy to care for you, as it allowed her to feel that very special bond between a mother and her daughter.

The two of you had been giggling when Siggy entered. Siggy was Rollo's woman, and the former wife of Earl Haroldson. When Ragnar killed him, Siggy became a servant. She served Ragnar's first wife, Lagertha. And now, she serves Aslaug. The Princess stopped playing with your hair when she entered, gently gripping your shoulders.

"Why don't you go outside and play with Ubbe?" Aslaug asked quietly. "I'll come and collect you three soon."

Smiling, you slipped off the bed and rushed past Siggy, leaving the two women alone. It was Siggy who spoke first. "You asked to see me?"

Smiling, Aslaug nodded and gestured to where you once sat. "Yes, sit."

Confused, Siggy obeyed and moved to sit beside the Earl's wife. Aslaug smiled kindly at the woman, letting out a heavy sigh. "We have not made friends. It is my fault. But if you wanted to, we can be friends now. After all, we are family and Ragnar had forgiven his brother."

Siggy, shocked, allowed herself to smile. "I would be honoured to be considered your friend."

But Aslaug was smarter then that. The Seeress allowed her smile to fade. "Let's not fool one another. You were once where I am now. Perhaps you wish to return to this status?"

Before Siggy could think of a reply, Aslaug held up her hand.

"If so, I don't blame you. But in the meantime, let's not be enemies."

Siggy's lips twitched up as the woman sighed. "Women should stick together more."

"That's true." Aslaug nodded.

"And we should rule." Siggy added, watching as Aslaug let out a chuckle.

"All things would be better." Said the Earl's wife. Suddenly, she grabbed Siggy's hand. "Friend."

Siggy smiled a bit brighter now, squeezing Aslaug's hand. "Friend..."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

147K 3.4K 38
King Ivar spends much of his time with his infertile first wife: neglecting his second wife, the mother of his children, a Freyjasdottir. Eventually...
162K 4.9K 26
"Tell me, when will I meet the great love of my life? I am so angry and full of hate, so much so that Ubbe and Sigurd say, that no woman will love me...
37.9K 864 13
An alliance is sought with an English king in the wake of the great army's attacks. Ivar has been chosen to wed the kings daughter Kendra. Ivar x OC
19.6K 308 29
Freya Ironside grows up in the family of Ragnar Lothbrok. Her father is Bjorn Ironside and from an early age he keeps her hidden and protects her and...