MANAL

By deey_jah

A few minutes into the walk, I heard footsteps shuffling behind me. I tensed up and halted in my tracks. My h... More

MANAL
1. Manal
2. Manal
3. Manal
4. Manal
5. Manal
6. Manal
7. Manal
8. Manal
9: Manal
10: Manal
11: Manal
12: Manal
13: Manal
14. Manal
15. Manal
16: Manal
17. Manal
18. Manal
19. Manal
20. Manal
21. Jawaad
22. Manal
23. Manal
24. Manal
25. Manal
26. Manal
27. Jawaad
28. Jawaad
29. Manal
30: Manal
31: Manal
32: Manal
33: Manal
34: Jawaad
35: Manal
36: Jawaad
37: Manal
38: Jawaad
39: Manal
40: Manal
41: Jawaad
42: Manal
43: Manal
44: Manal
45: Jawaad
46: Manal
47: Manal
48: Manal
49: Jawaad
50: Manal
51: Manal
52: Manal
53: Manal
54: Jawaad
55: Manal
56: Manal
57: Manal
58: Manal
59: Jawaad
60: Jawaad
61: Manal
62: Manal
63: Jawaad
64: Manal
65: Na'eem
66: Jawaad
67: Jawaad
68: Manal
69; Jawaad
70: Manal
71: Jawaad
72: Jawaad
73: Manal
74: Manal
75: Manal
76: Na'eem
77: Manal
78: Farida
79: Jawaad
Jawaad or Na'eem?
80: Jawaad
81: Manal*
82: Jawaad
83: Manal
84: Manal
85: Jawaad
86: Manal
87: Manal
88: Manal
89: Jawaad
91: Manal
92: Manal
93: Jawaad
94: Manal
95: Manal
96: Manal
97: Hala
98: Manal
99: Jawaad
100: Manal
101: Jawaad & Manal*
Epilogue

90: Manal

2.2K 425 87
By deey_jah

The day was sweltering, so I changed into lighter clothing—a pair of shorts and a crop top.

I plopped into my bed; a huge smile permanently plastered on my face. I was smiling so hard that my cheeks started to hurt.

Ummi had permitted Jawaad to officially court me. She had also invited his mum over to our house to have a chat with her. I was happy—extremely to have Ummi's blessings. It made everything so much easier for me. I wouldn't have to worry that I was making a mistake because Ummi was involved. Plus, Jawaad would not dare mess up again.

Jawaad and I hadn't had the chance to talk to each other since the conversation with Ummi, because he didn't stay. He thanked her and then left, without even saying goodbye to me. "It seems Jawaad is scared of Ummi." I chuckled. The nervousness on his face didn't go unnoticed by me. Though he did a good job at trying to maintain a poker face.

I picked up my phone from beside me and noticed Jawaad hadn't called or even left a message.

I frowned, disappointed.

"Should I call him?" I muttered underneath my breath. "No!" I shook my head. "He should be the one to make the first move." I huffed.

The phone was still in my hand, when it beeped, indicating I had an incoming call. A smile crept up my lips when I saw the caller ID.

I waited for a few seconds before answering the call.

"You looked beautiful this evening." That was the first thing he said.

I felt heat rush to my cheeks. I couldn't stop myself from smiling. I cleared my throat and hummed. "Is that so? If I remember correctly, you were looking down all the while. When did you get the chance to look at me? Huh? You were scared of my mother, weren't you?"

"I was." He admitted.

I chuckled at that.

"But it only lasted for a while. I actually like her. A lot. She's very protective of you."

"Yes, she is." I smiled, recalling how I used to feel she didn't care much about me, due to how strict she always was with me.

"Why didn't you tell me why she invited me over?" There was silence for a few minutes. "I'd have prepared."

My brows furrowed. "What sort of preparation?"

"I wasn't properly dressed for the occasion." He heaved a sigh. "I'd have put on a kaftan and cap since I was going to meet my mother-in-law-to-be. I wonder the kind of impression she has of me now."

Out of everything he said, the only thing that mattered and sent warmth to my heart was the mother-in-law part. It was still difficult for me to believe that Jawaad and I were going to get married. In the past, I had tried to get him to notice me, but being the arrogant man he was, he pretended not to see me. And when I finally decided to give up on him, he returned and showed interest in me. Despite being happy, a small part of me still doubted him. I just couldn't give him all of my trust yet. Indubitably, Jawaad still had a lot of proving to do.

"Ummi doesn't care about those things," I remarked. "It seems she likes you."

"I know she does." He chuckled. "Who wouldn't like me?"

Conceited much? Hehehe.

"I didn't like you." I sneered.

"Oh! really?" He chuckled again. "You've always liked me. You can't deny it. That reminds me," he paused for a while. "So you've been playing hard to get all these while? You made it seem like you didn't like me anymore. I was starting to believe your act, you know?"

"I wasn't acting." I clarified. It was true that I still had feelings for him, but I honestly didn't have any intentions of accepting him, until Ummi intervened. "You deserved whatever you got."

"I agree. I want to use this opportunity to apologize to you again. I know saying sorry won't be enough to make up for what I did to you, that's why I'm giving you my words today that I will never purposely do anything to hurt again. I promise to give you all of the happiness there is. I won't give you a chance to complain about me. I know I'm not perfect, and I'm not promising you that I will be, but I'll work hard to be the man of your dreams."

You've always been.

My heart was thumping aggressively in my chest. I couldn't explain the magical feeling. I felt like jumping and screaming on top of my lungs.

I felt tears prickle my eyes.

This was what I had always wanted. I couldn't be happier. I just hoped he will keep his words, otherwise, I didn't know what would become of me.

"For the second time, I'm trusting you with my heart. Be careful with it. I won't be able to take it if you stumble again. I will never forgive you." I swallowed. I was taking a huge step in my life. I needed all the assurance I could get.

"Thank you for trusting me again. You're certainly not making a mistake...I can't wait to tell mum about this. Will you be able to come and see her tomorrow?"

"Yes." I tried without having to think it through. He had agreed to come to our house. It was only fair I did the same. "In Sha Allah."

"Great! When you're ready, just give me a call. I will pick you."

"No, it's fine, our dr—"

"Let me do this, please." He beseeched.

The tone of his voice left me with no other choice.

I smiled when he said; "I will be waiting for the call."

Immediately he ended the call, Farida's came through.

As expected, her screams filled my ear. I had to take the phone away to avoid my eardrum from being damaged.

"Hey!" I yelled into the phone. "what's wrong with you?"

"I'm dancing! I feel I'm not even shouting enough." Farida sounded out of breath. "I'm so happy! So so happy, Manal! You won't be able to imagine just how much. Thank you, Manal. I know my brother can be a jerk, but he is a really nice person. You will attest to you once you get to know him better."

"I haven't fully accepted him yet," I told her. "He still has to prove himself."

"Definitely!" Farida agreed. "You should make him pay for all the tears he made you shed. Make him suffer." She tittered.

I chuckled and shook my head in disbelief. If unpredictable was a person. "He's your brother." I reminded her in case she had forgotten because it seemed like she actually had.

"And you're my best friend in the whole wide world and soon-to-be sister-in-law. I can't put that in jeopardy...not even for my brother. If he messes up again, I will be the one to coach you on how to get even with him."

I laughed. "Hold your horses. We're not getting married right away. Remember he is still under the microscope."

"Right! Don't take too long to fix a wedding date though. I can't wait any longer. Best lady to the bride and sister to the groom. I'm getting too emotional."

Farida and I talked for a little more while and I got to know she had just two examinations to write, then she'd officially become a graduate. Though I was excited for her, I felt a tad sad because I was going to be left behind.

It was 10:37 PM. I had changed into my pajamas and was about to go to bed when I got a message from Jawaad.

Jawaad
10:38 PM

Are you asleep?

I smiled before typing.

Me
10:39 PM

Yes.

J

awaad's reply was almost immediate.

Jawaad
10:39 PM

Are you having a nice dream?

Me
10:40 PM

I was, until you appeared

Jawaad
10:41 PM

Should I disappear?

Me
10:42 PM

Your choice.

Jawaad
10:43 PM

Ouch! I'm heartbroken.

I chuckled but didn't send him any reply.

Jawaad
10:46 PM

When will you sleep?

Me
10:47 PM

Now. When will you sleep?

Jawaad
10:49 PM

I will sleep when you do.

In as much as I wanted to keep chatting with him, I was feeling very sleepy. I had to call it a day.

Me
10:50 PM

Goodnight then.

Jawaad
10:52 PM

Sleep tight...and dream of me (;

The next day, as agreed, Jawaad took me to meet his mother. Although I already knew she was hospitable and liked me a lot, I couldn't help the feeling of nervousness.

The meeting with her was brief, but it was everything to me. She made me taste all of the different food she prepared and even showed me pictures of Jawaad and Farida when they were kids. I suddenly didn't feel nervous anymore. I had become freer with her.

When it was time for me to leave, she gifted me with a beautiful necklace and asked me to visit often.

I left the house satisfied because Jawaad's mum treated me no less than a daughter. She was very accommodating and easygoing. I liked her a lot.

Ummi and I were in the kitchen, ready to prepare dinner when I sensed a figure hovering over us. Intuitively, I spun around, and there stood dad by the entrance of the kitchen; his lips were curved into a smile.

"Ab—"

He shushed me with a finger on his lips and began to tiptoe into the kitchen.

I didn't need a soothsayer to tell me what he was about to do and I was not about to ruin it for him.

Just as Abi was about to blindfold Ummi with his hands, she turned around and gasped; her hand on her chest.

I burst out laughing.

Ummi shot me a glare before averting her gaze to Abi. "Was it necessary to scare me like that?"

"I'm sorry, Habibty," he tittered. "I couldn't help it. Why did you get so startled though?"

"Isn't it obvious?" She sneered. "I wasn't expecting you and Imran isn't as tall as you are yet. I thought a thief had broken in. How was the journey? You look so tired, Habibi." Ummi cupped his face and started straightening his beards in the process.

"I'm still here..." I muttered. It seemed they didn't hear me, for I was ignored and tossed aside like some piece of dreck.

Abi had only been gone for four days, and Ummi was acting as though he had returned after four years. I admired the love they still had for each other. I had witnessed it from childhood and it still hasn't gone away—not even a bit.

"Alhamdulillah," Abi responded, snaking his hand around her waist and pulling her closer to himself. "I missed you a lot."

"Okay," I remarked. "I'm just going to leave for my room."

I had just begun to walk when Ummi's voice startled me a little. "Who do you think you're leaving all this work to? Come back here, young lady. We aren't done here."

Abi chuckled. "Manal doesn't like to cook. She always looks for ways to dodge all work."

"That's not true, Abii." I pouted. I was being misunderstood. "I just wanted to give the both of you privacy."

Ummi threw a glare at me. "You should finish up here. Make semovita. Let's go, Habibi."

My eyes broadened. "What? But we haven't even started anything here." I groaned. "It's just water in the pot. I can't do this alone, Ummi. At least get Imran to help me. I just returned from S.O.N fa."

For the second time, Ummi glared at me. "And you want to get married? Like this?" She shook her head. "You better start behaving like a woman. You're not a baby anymore."

I cringed at her words. She had blurted out my secret. I never wanted Abii to find out that way.

I wanted him to find out when I'm out of sight.

"She's still my baby though." Abii defended.

I released a breath. It seemed Abii didn't grasp what had been said.

"She just returned. She is tired. Stop being too hard on her."

Growing up, Abii's last sentence had been like a mantra. He was always so quick to defend me from Ummi.

"I'm not." Ummi's gaze was fixated on Abii. "Who's going to make dinner then? At her age, I'm not even supposed to step a foot into this kitchen. Manal thinks she is still a kid or something."

I narrowed my eyes at Ummi.

I don't think of myself as a kid. I just don't like stress.

"Let's do this then." It was Abii. "Let's eat out or we can order takeouts."

"Yes!" I quickly turned off the cooker.

I just love my Abii so freaking much.

"And Manal, I have a surprise for you when we get back—a surprise you will absolutely love."

"Really, Abii?" Exuberance dripped off my tone. "I can't wait." I didn't wait for his reply before dashing out of the kitchen.

When I got to my room and grabbed my phone, I saw a couple of missed calls from Jawaad. I quickly sent him a quick message telling him I'd be out with my family before shoving my phone into my bag.

"The food was good," Ummi commented, as we all walked into the house.

"Not too good." Imran disagreed. "I prefer your cooking, Ummi."

I rolled my eyes.

"I agree," Abi added. "My wife is an excellent cook."

Although Ummi didn't say anything, I could tell she felt proud of herself. The smile on her face gave her away.

"But Manal's food is terrible." Imran croaked. "She really needs to learn. I can even cook better than her."

The things Imran said were all exaggerated. I was about to retort when Abii spoke.

"Aren't you eager to know about your surprise anymore?"

I face-palmed. I couldn't believe I had forgotten all about it. "I am. What is it, Abii?"

He smiled, then fished out a key from his pocket and jiggle it in the air. "This is for you."

I gasped.

It was a car key.

Abii had bought me a car!

Assalamualaikum/hello!

Sorry for the late update 🙈

Eid Mubarak! 😍🥂

Who can guess the model? 🤩

250 votes for another chapter tomorrow 🙌

Read Betrothed today 💞

deey_jah
❤❤❤

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

121K 14.8K 104
Everyone has that one life changing moment, That moment defines you. It shapes who you are as a person, and pushes you down the path that leads to th...
113K 7K 25
**Part of Preloved Series- Can be read as a stand-alone** You don't have to read Preloved in order to read this book. You can read this story on its...
19K 800 25
Warning: Mature audiences only. "I love you," he whispered seductively in my ears sending chills throughout my entire body. I was more than in love...
7.9K 2.3K 29
Imagine going from this: "Can I kiss you?" Those words reverberated through my ears and sent shivers down my spine, literally. I could sense the pass...