Genetics • Sirius Black

By disasterfairy

"Know thy enemy." "Stop being so dramatic." Freya Grey had purposely avoided Sirius Black ever since she had... More

Act One.
Act One: Red Light
Chapter One: I Don't Think We've Met.
Chapter Two: Slytherin, Eh?
Chapter Three: The Night Really Brings Out Your Eyes.
Chapter Four: A Funny Rumor.
Chapter Five: The Angry Girl With Pretty Hair.
Chapter Six: Is This Seat Taken?
Chapter Seven: It's An Invitation.
Chapter Eight: Scatter!
Chapter Nine: Explains The Marigolds, Then.
Chapter Ten: Crab Cakes?
Chapter Twelve: I'd Rather Perish.
Chapter Thirteen: Must Be Freezing.
Chapter Fourteen: Couldn't Quite Fix The Shoes.
Chapter Fifteen: It's Just One Class.
Chapter Sixteen: Didn't Sleep Well Last Night.
Chapter Seventeen: It Makes Very Good Sense.
Chapter Eighteen: Of Course It Is.
Chapter Nineteen: Snivellus! Snivellus! Snivellus!
Chapter Twenty: Therefore, It Is My Business.
Chapter Twenty One: Spicing Up Her Dull Scheming Life.
Chapter Twenty Two: Cocky Are We?
Chapter Twenty Three: Just Something I've Noticed.
Chapter Twenty Four: Soon You Shall See The Truth.
Chapter Twenty Five: Thought You Cared.
Act Two: Yellow Light
Chapter Twenty Six: Sick Of This
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Wonder What's Going On In Her head.
Chapter Twenty Eight: I Couldn't Care Less About You.
Chapter Twenty Nine: She's What?
Chapter Thirty: Please.
Chapter Thirty One: Dumb, Not Stupid.
Chapter Thirty Two: Mind If I Walk With You?
Chapter Thirty Three: Friendly With Each Other
Chapter Thirty Four: All Under Control.
Chapter Thirty Five: Don't Worry You Have All My Attention.
Chapter Thirty Six: It Is My House.
Chapter Thirty Seven: The Map.
Chapter Thirty Eight: Shut up, Avery.
Chapter Thirty Nine: Nothing's Wrong.
Chapter Forty: Right On Top Of Each Other.
Chapter Forty One: Sustenance?
Chapter Forty Two: Pure As They Come.
Chapter Forty Three: These Things Can Be Overwhelming.
Chapter Forty Four: Under Pressure.
Chapter Forty Five: Is That You?
Chapter Forty Six: Draw That Line.
Chapter Forty Seven: Let's Just Call It A Day
Chapter Forty Eight: Came As Soon As I Heard
Chapter Forty Nine: Sharp And Endearing.
Chapter Fifty: Wasting Time.
Chapter Fifty One: Goodnight.
Chapter Fifty Two: Stubborn Idiot!
Chapter Fifty Three: I'm Tired.
Chapter Fifty Four: Being Rude Has Never Stopped You Before.
Chapter Fifty Five: Bonehead?
Chapter Fifty Six: That Would Be Twat-ish
Chapter Fifty Seven: So Serious?
Chapter Fifty Eight: Odd Mark.
Chapter Fifty Nine: Righteous School Spirit.
Chapter Sixty: Sneak Out.
Chapter Sixty One: Moony?
Chapter Sixty Two: Sirius Stays.
Chapter Sixty Three: Goodnight, Grey.
Chapter Sixty Four: What Happens Now?
Chapter Sixty Five: Rupture.
Chapter Sixty Six: Asleep.
Chapter Sixty Seven: Questions For Ms.Grey.
Chapter Sixty Eight: It's Temporary.
Chapter Sixty Nine: Best Friends.
Chapter Seventy: You Promised.
Act Three: Green Light.
Chapter Seventy One: Black Wedding.
Chapter Seventy Two: Beach.
Chapter Seventy Three: Truth or Dare?
Chapter Seventy Four: Obvious.
Chapter Seventy Five: Happy To Be Back.
Chapter Seventy Six: Got Turned On By Remus's Clavicle Once.
Chapter Seventy Seven: Want.
Chapter Seventy Eight: That Still Your Plan?
Chapter Seventy Nine: She's Mental!
Chapter Eighty: Add Another Scar To Your Collection.
Chapter Eighty One: A Gentleman.

Chapter Eleven: We Are Nothing Without It.

11.2K 409 32
By disasterfairy

"And then a hippogriff came out of nowhere and swooped in." An enthusiastic woman explained, her hands wildly mimicked the movement of the hippogriff with her right hand and sloshing her drink with her left. The crowd around her attempted to follow the movements aside from Freya, who was trying to keep the bourbon off her shoes. "Nearly took off my leg, but I'm rather quick."

"How impressive," Freya hoped Regulus would return soon

"Not as impressive as the time I nearly got taken out by one those mermaids, you see—"

"Freya, how lovely it is to see you." Narcissa Black said in a smooth and refined voice. With the barest upturn of a lip, she looked at the older woman. "Sorry, mind if I steal her away for a moment?"

The woman gave a dismissive wave, then turned back to the rest of the group. "Anyway, I was way out in the ocean."

Side by side, Narcissa walked with Freya. The straight-haired girl was slightly taller than her in heels but carried herself in a far more regal manner that Freya tried to emulate. "Are you enjoying the party?"

"Very much so," Freya answered, correcting her posture even more.

Impeccably dressed in a black long-sleeved dress and smoothed-out hair, Narcissa strolled around the house. She wasn't exactly "beautiful," yet she was pretty and knew how to keep the illusion she was. Fair-skinned without a blemish in sight, the only issue on her face would be the slight scowl that came with it, though that was simply her resting face.

"And Regulus is good company?"

Freya nodded slightly, wondering how Narcissa and Walburga managed to keep a conversation and barely look at the person they were speaking to. "Of course, he's one of my dearest friends."

"Yes, he is." A stronger curve came to Narcissa's mouth, and it looked rather odd, to be honest. "Very handsome, wouldn't you say?"

Freya knew cousin-to-cousin marriage was "normal" to British purebloods, but it still seems rather odd, especially since she thought Narcissa was being courted by Lucious. After an awkward beat, Freya managed to say, "Yes... he's got a lovely nose." then regretted it quickly. Sipping the gold beverage, she looked at a random man across the room. "Is that your sister's husband?"

"Rodolphus Lestrange." She explained with a nod, "He's quite close to my uncle, but most of the men are." Her blues eyes went to Freya. "Family is very important to us."

Freya felt like she was being inspected again. "Of course, we are nothing without it."

"Indeed." Pleased with the response, Narcissa gently stroked a curl that framed Freya's face. "You have beautiful hair."

"Thank you."

Dropping her hand, Narcissa's blue eyes drifted back to her face. "You took your owls this year, yes?"

"Yes."

"And how do you think you did?"

"Well, I hope," Freya admitted, a slight joking tone in her voice, but quickly fixed and noticed they had stopped strolling a while ago.

Narcissa didn't seem to respond to the lighter tone Freya used and continued to pry. "And what do you plan to do with your scores?"

It felt like a spotlight was placed on her, and she didn't know why. "Find a good job, possibly working at the ministry."

Narcissa nodded. "Interesting."

If Freya had given the wrong answer, she really didn't know what the right one was. Then she glanced at Narcissa's long garment. "Your dress looks beautiful."

With a sense of pride, Narcissa grinned lightly. "Lucious gave it to me as a gift."

"That's kind of him." Freya was very lost and prayed Regs wouldn't have to marry his cousin. Feeling the weight of all her champagne on her bladder, Freya smiled. "Forgive me for asking, but where is your restroom?"

***

"Bloody hell." Freya clenched the edges of the bathroom sink and took a deep breath. This party was taking days, and she hadn't been able to do any of the networking she planned to do. No one talked about these things at parties, or if they did it was in a clump of old men that had apparently grown in the same bloody sandbox.

It didn't help that Freya had missed every aspect of the dress code and everyone seemed to have the same piercing gaze she admired but hated at the same time.

She hoped the sweat wouldn't show through the fabric of her dress. Who chooses purple, anyway?

Looking herself in the eye, she inhaled and straightened her shoulders.

In her head, she planned and refocused.

Baring a more pleasant expression, Freya opened the door and was met with an older man. He skimmed over her face and laughed a little. "Bit of the devil's grass, eh?"

Before Freya could retort or explain, he went inside the bathroom. Offended, Freya removed any likes of the pleasant expression and resumed as she was.

***

Sirius Black greatly despised these dinner parties. Most of the time, he could hide out in his room, and be the disgrace of the family in his muggle-decorated room in peace. But there wasn't much of a choice as he sat beside his mother and some freckled-faced pure-blood from Scotland. Purposely, he slouched in his chair with the stuffy get-up his mother forced him to wear.

At the head of the table was his father, who had just finished giving a massive(and extremely boring) toast and was now contently cutting into some beef platter. Orion Black dug his fork into the meat and turned to the pale boy beside him. "So, my boy, how was Quidditch?"

He asked as if it were his only boy and only son that played Quidditch. Sirius had developed a rather annoyed look and picked apart one of the dinner rolls.

His brother's thin lips curved up gently, and he took a sip from his goblet. "Won three games this session."

"Made Slytherin proud." His mother piped up beside him.

Gryffindor did that his fourth year, and no one care, not that it mattered; his family wasn't significant to him.

His father smiled and drank more from his goblet. Then his eyes settled over to the curly-haired girl beside Regulus, who didn't even look like she was breathing. Sirius could tell his father was confused by the way it looked like he was holding in the urge to use the restroom. After a moment, he wiped his mouth with a napkin and looked at her. "Forgive me, but I don't think we've met." His head tilted. "Are you a friend of Regulus?"

"Freya Grey," Walburg answered before Freya could then continued. "Her father used to work in the ministry." Boring.

"Grey? Okan's daughter? Shame about what happened." His father shook his head mournfully. Less boring. Sirius' dark eyes flew to Freya from her reaction. She stilled lightly and didn't change much in her expression, but Sirius could tell she didn't like this new topic. "And how is your mother doing?"

"Quite well, sir," Freya replied, voice smoothed.

"Send her my regards."

"I will, thank you, sir."

"Perhaps next time she can join us." Sirius' mother smiled politely, but he sensed a bit of cruelty underneath it.

Regulus turned completely passive, staring at his soup with distant intensity.

Freya took a sip of water. "Hopefully, Ms. Black."

Sirius wanted to know what the hell was going on. He had never heard of the Grey's(aside from Freya) and didn't know anything about them other than the fact that they must be purebloods, despite not being a part of the Sacred Twenty-Eight families.

The conversation moved on the dreadfully boring and painfully civil.

Slytherin, isn't it amazing?

Yes, and so is oppressing muggles.

Haha, haha.

Or at least what it all sounded like to Sirius.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 50K 40
Finn Lynch lives a quiet, tranquil life in a rural village in the mountains. Her life may lack spontaneity and excitement, but at least it's peaceful...
3.2M 106K 43
The year after her brother James graduates, Teddy Potter returns to Hogwarts for her final year. With the Marauders gone, it should be a quiet, peace...
48.6K 1.4K 24
|| REWRITING || Clara Potter has always been much more serious than her mischievous younger brother and his unruly band of friends. For much of their...
302K 11.1K 92
❝𝑮𝑳𝑶𝑹𝒀 𝑵𝑬𝑽𝑬𝑹 𝑪𝑨𝑴𝑬 𝑬𝑨𝑺𝒀❞ in which two of hogwarts' biggest opposites are more alike than they thought. ☼ or: in which sage fontaine...